• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a Long-Range/Tactical rifle.

Remoah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Victoria, Australia
Hey guys, new to the forum and all, so i'll try and cover this as much as possible.

I'm looking to build my own rifle for long range (800m+) shooting, and at the same want it to be practical to take out bush hunting and all that. I'm trying not to spend rediculous amounts of money, but obviously i know this will cost alot.

Before i start, i'm living down under (australia), which is probably second only to the UK in firearm restrictions. So no semi autos, no suppressors, no magazines over 10 rounds, no rifles shorter than 75cm when folded, and nothing .50 BMG (Not that im looking to go bigger than .300 winmag).

Also, i'm a lefty
frown.gif
so limits the choice a tad.

Anyhow, here's what i was thinking of building.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint L/H (in .308).
Choate Ultimate Sniper/Varmint Stock (apparantly they're Crap... McMillan or Muller anybody?)
Scope... Nightforce? Not too sure at the moment.
Bipod, not too sure really, suggestions anyone? Something that wont snag too much on the bush.

I was also considering using an Omark M44 Action and building from there, being single-shot it doesnt really matter that it comes in RH only.

So... comments and criticisms really? This is my first foray into shooting at anything past the 300m mark really.

Re: Building a Long-Range/Tactical rifle.

Really?

Try shooting what you got past 300 yards and see what you get. Nevertheless, the Remington 700 with your choice of scope and Harris bipod is all you need from above. Actually, your choice of scope is beyond your choice of rifle. Just get a Bushnell or something comparable. These are all things you can get from any ordinary gun store.

There would only 1 thing I would change in your list, the stock. Depending on what you want to spend, you can get a B&C a1, a2, or a3 for 207 from stockysstocks, or could get an H&S. But since you stated money isn't a limiting factor, could get an AICS, manners, or McMillan, but I'm not sure of what you can get down under, but anything listed would be a good substitute for the choate.

Agreed on the stock situation. Not a big fan of the choate really. The B/Cs are nice and I have had good luck with HS precision too.

My sps shoots very well and I dont see why you cant use it for what you are looking to do, especially with some work into it to really make it run if you are not quite happy with it.

If you can afford the scope, go for it. Those are awesome pieces of work.
Nightforce and the vortex scopes may be worth looking into as well. All of them I have used have been great. They will save you a little cash over the SB, but still do the job very well.
Handle a few scopes if you can and look through them; remember the diminishing returns rule. Get what works and covers your needs. You may get lucky and not have to break the bank.

For a bipod, the harris units work well.

Man a S&B but a choate as your stock...... Go manners or McMillan, if you can afford a 3000$ optic you can afford a 600$ stock...

Cheers guys.

The HS Precisions looked good, especially the PST038
http://www.hsprecision.com/shop/pst038.html

Fact it comes in LH is pretty good.

Same with McMillan, though i cant be sure if it comes in Left Hand or not (website not very helpful), but there IS an australian stockist for McMillan so getting one in would be alot easier.
The BC stocks didnt tickle my fancy really, but cheers for the heads up, there was a nice looking one that'd fit my Mk77 30-06 quite nicely, if it came in lefthand *drools*

Still looking at optics. S&B would be preffered but they are expensive. and any place i can save money on it would be nice. Nightforce are popular here in Oz so i'll have to look into them.

+1 for Nightforce and McMillan, I run a A4 and a NXS 3.5x15, and yes McMillan will do left hand stocks.

Cheers guys.
Just looked into Vortex and Nightforce.
Vortex Viper 4-12x40mm looks good.

Though has anyone tried the Bushnell Elite 3200? Looks decent on paper to me. Plus fairly cheap which is great
smile.gif

And good to hear. I'll ring up the McMillan stockist and see wether it'll cost more to get LH stocks imported or can he just get them straight in.

Edit.
Just found out that Nioa (one of australia's leading importers) brings in ACIS and H/S Stocks.
Certainly going to look into them sharpish!

Second Edit.
Does anyone know if ACIS comes in Lefthand?

Stick with the Nightforce, dont cheap out on glass, you will regret it later.
Go McMillan or Manners, Hs is a step down and I dont think the AICS comes in a lefty. not sure though.

Manners T5A looks very good. Just emailed to see if Lefties were available and if they stocked to anyone within Australia.

McMillan have an aussie stockist which is awesome, A-4 and A-5 both look very promising. I was hoping for a dedicated thumbhole/pistolgrip stock, but again, there's probably a reason why the McMillans are so popular.

As for Optics. True, i'll be looking into Nightforce, especially if my local gunsmith can get some in so i can have a bit of a play round and see what ones have a good feel to them.

Cheers for the advice guys. This being my first foray into any shooting really beyond the 300m mark, i kinda want to get it right.

Cheers mate.
Saved that into my little project file. Will get to them when im on holidays next week
smile.gif

Rem 700 is a good action to use. Almost any gunsmith can work on them for you. As for the rest, I would go with Manners or McMillan, Nightforce, and Harris bipod. I can't imagine that you would regret any of these choices.

Contact Adam with Bauer Arms if you want a AICS. I'm pretty sure he can hook you up with one.

If not Cactus Tactical converts right handed AICS to left handed.

A quality stock, and scope is never money lost. If later you decide to turn your rifle into a custom build, you will already have the a stock and scope worth keeping. If you spend your money on cheap components now that later you want to replace, that's money lost. Go with quality and you will only cry once.

Good luck

The downside to Choate's are that they're heavy. THey are not a flimsy stock and the price is definitely less than the quality you get. I have an ultimate sniper and it's a great stock, it just weighs as much as the barreled action that goes in it.

The 2009 World F-Class F-T/R winner used a Choate Ult. Sniper in the competition. For the feature list I would rank them on par with a B&C, the price is less which makes the feature to cost ratio better, thus a higher value for the input.

I have a Manners stock which, IMO, blows it out of the water but the Manners is a much higher price point. I don't know if you can get them in Oz either, but it's worth researching if you have the money to spend on it.

I think that the NF scopes are excellent, I own several.

Do you reload? This is applicable to the caliber choice. If you do then keep the options open on the 308 Winchester. The case is good, but a 260 or 7mm-08 would both make significantly superior ballistic choices with substantial hunting power.

I got my AICS from Fiona at Hinterland Shooting Supplies mate.

www.hss.net.au

I wasn't able to find anyone else in Australia with them in stock, or that was getting them in regularly.

EDIT; Also, i too am left handed and left eye dominant, but don't assume that means you need a LH rifle. All mine are standard RH rifles and I have no dramas. Some even argue that its better since while prone, or on a bench, we can cycle the bolt without taking our left hand off the rifle.

Bohem.
I did like the feel of the choate, and yes it was a tad weighty, but i prefer that, i'm not recoil shy by any means (30-06 is my favourite rifle), but heavier rifles are alot more pleasant to shoot, especially at the range where most shooting will take place.

And i dont mind weight when out in the field, it's not a factor for me really (unless it's rediculously heavy, like, MAG-58 heavy).

Manners is excellent looking but im not sure how to get one in, plus if i do, and it breaks or needs smithing, it will be hard to do. hence why im interested in HS Precison, McMillan and Choate at this point, readily available and easily repairable if need be.

EDIT.
I have considered the ambidexterous stock with RH bolt. Obvious reason being that it WOULD be easier to cycle from most common longrange shooting stances (bench and prone).

This was what i considered when i looked at an Omark M44 action, being a right-hand would be an advantage with a single-shot action, since the loading would be far easier. However i want the repeater action, and the left-hand bolt would give it a much greater feeling that it was MY rifle...

If you're considering a custom action there are some custom makers that will do a Left Bolt, right port or left bolt dual port.

I think Barnard is one, possibly Surgeon and I think BAT and Nesika as well. Again, the American actions are all ITAR and Export controlled so it is worth the research on getting one.

Barnards are made in New Zealand, I have no idea what it would take to get one of them in Aus.

Not really considering a custom action.
There's probably a reason the USMC and US Army decided to use the R700 action. I would go all out for an AIAW but cannot afford it in any way.
R700 is cheap, it's excellent (from what i hear) and the amount of stocks, scopes, ect all based off of it is endless so i'm kinda spoilt for variety.

Custom action wise however, i'd go for the Omark M44 in a heartbeat.

Pfft, you americans, still thinking New Zealand is a separate country...

Remoah,

There are 2 ways to do it, on the cheap or with a few grand. If you want a cheaper starter rifle buy a omark, you will be surprised at how well they shoot. If you want a better round than a 308 get it rechambered in 284win and shoot away.

I have just started shooting F class in australia. So far i have shot 300, 500, 600 & 700yards with a Rem LTR, Harris bipod and a 3.5-10x40 Leupold Mark 4 scope. So far the rifle has performed a lot better than me and my worst score from 300-700y was 49 at 600y with 51 at all other distances. I expect this to get better when i get a rear bag and learn more about reading the wind.

I would reccomend you buy a SPS Varmint or Savage 10FP in 308, a decent 10-20 power scope, trigger (not needed on the savage) and stock. As far as which ones its realy a personal decision. I have 2 x wild dogs & 2 x HS precision stocks and a manners and choate arrived this week. I too like the feel of the choate or i will after i remove the sharp bits but i am not a small person so it doesnt feel big to me. The manners feels really good (close to the wild dog tactical but half the price) and i cant wait to shoot it. The wild dog tactical stock on my SPS V 22-250 would have to be the stock i like the most, but then its also the most expensive on too, but i havent tried it prone yet so i dont know how it will go.

If you want a manners stock contact Andrew at Nightforce Australia and he can get you one, they keep a lot of rem stocks on the shelf and they are around $600 for the non adjustable ones. I just picked up a left hand choate stock for a mate with a left hand sps V in 308. He ordered the rifle and it took 2-3 months to arrive.

I like the Bushnell 3200 scopes, they are good value for money and are a good place to start, I have 3 of the 5-15x40T scopes. If you have the money by all means get a NF but for a begginner i dont think you really need one.

Seddo

Savage Mod 10FLCP-K. Ken Farrel 20MOA sloped base, Burris Signature Zee rings, Weaver V-24 scope, bipod of your choice, I suggest Harris.

Reasonable cost combined with highly adequate capability and simple portability. The muzzle brake may be a problem for sanctioned competitions. Personally, I am ambivalent about muzzle brakes on a .308.

Greg

Seddo.
For the price of the Omark action, i can get the whole SPS rifle + barrel. Though i do understand Omark are great, i dont plan to shoot comps, not for a while, if i was to go F-class, it'd be my first choice, and i will be looking into picking one up in a few years if i go start shooting comps.

I've never really seen a savage off the shelf. Though next time i pop down to the local i might have a look. Thing is i've had a few rounds through a couple of different 700's and find them quite good.
But i am open for change, that is the thing.

I talked to manners, and they told me the T5 series wasnt available in LH. Which, unfortunatley, rules it out. I want a lefthand stock and rifle, the thing is, being MY rifle, and myself being a left hander, it wont feel the same as a lefthand rifle would.

Im really falling in love with the McMillan every time i look at them. I figured, as well, that the reason everybody uses them is the best.
Its unfortunate i cant afford an AICS, as that'd be the straight out choice, but its not the case, so unfortunatley, it's out of the running.

I was thinking that, whilst the Nightforce are sweet, they're fairly expensive. So if i could avoid that and get something less pricey that'd be nice.
But again, optics are something you need right. its no point going all out on a rifle and stock and then skimping on optics.
Plus, i can probably afford the NF, it'll take a little while, but i think it'll be worth the wait.

GREG.
I am hearing good things about the savages. And that model does look particularly nice.
Muzzle Brakes are frowned upon from what i've heard down here. Mainly because our only long distance range in melbourne is always crowded, and the muzzle blast they create can be distracting to other shooters at the very least, especially when you're right next to each other.
And finally, it's a .308, i shoot my .30-06 fine as dandy so a .308 will be no trouble to me recoil wise. So i dont need one.

Keep the advice coming guys, i'm taking it all on board (most posts i've condensed and placed into a word document for future reference).

Aso, this is the current build im thinking of. Any comment/crit would be nice.

> Remington 700 SPS L/H Varmint
> McMillan A5 Stock (Adj Cheekpeice, Butt Spacers, Studs, Flushcups). Anything else i might want?
> Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm (would i be best getting 56mm?)
> Harris HBL-S Bipod
> EGW 20MOA rails

Rings im not sure about, is there any that people would suggest. I've been reccomended Seekins, but does anyone else have any comments on this brand?

Cheers for the continued advice guys.

I went to the Savage Site and brought up the 'gun finder' feature. I then entered the selection criteria for 'left hand' '.308' and 'heavy barrel'. Only the one model came up. I know, it's a little frustrating.

However, Savage <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> respond to special requests, and I believe making contact with their marketing department and/or custom shop (see Customer Service - Special Orders) can get you what you want without very much hassle at all. For instance, a friend checked for me about getting their F Class Open rifle chambered in .260 Rem instead of 6.5-284, and the response was positive. I would suspect the FLCP-K model, without the '-K' could be well within the realm of possibility. Make the call.

With the McMillan A-5, I had one of the prototypes, and it's a real honey. There are two types of adj cheeck pieces. One is the cutout style, the other is the saddle style. My A-3 has the cutout and my A-5 has the saddle. The cutout style has a provision for a small degree of sidewise adjustability as well, while the saddle style only adjusts in the vertical. Both McM's are on Savage actions, BTW. My experience with the A-5 was that most of the shooters who used it never needed the cheekpiece raised.

Greg

cheers for all the info mate.
i will definitley look into the sav. it does look like a nice gun. ill just see if the local dealer can get it in, thatway if it f***s up on me i have someone to go to, which i dont mind paying the tad extra money for.

I think i'll go with the saddle, ive never needed any sideways adjustment and i think that vertical will do me just fine incase i decide to mount the scope high.

As im not really looking to customise the rifle itself much (for now), i may as well get stock standard R700 lefthand.
once i go custom i'll probably go all out and buy a really decent rifle, probably a surgeon or something similar.

But good to hear about the McMillan being a winner. I'll probably be ordering it in a week or so
smile.gif

cheers mate.

Remoah,

I paid $300 for my omark with no sights and it shoots under 1/2 MOA. There were a few omarks on usedguns.com.au a while ago for 250-300. IF they need a nre barrel yo can add 600-900 to that an you have a very accurate rifle. I have added a 20moad rail thats abotu $150-200 fitted and a weaver T36 scope for $550. Prices in AUD. The only thing that will vary with omarks is the type of stock and barrel, just look around until you find one you like. THe best place to shop for one is in the state rifel asociation stores. Give them a call, i wa told you can buy a bare action for $100-200.

Seddo.

Just looked on Usedguns, they are fairly cheap!
I was going by the MAB website, which had them at $1400 for action! Though maybe different model actions? Im not sure.
Certainly after this project i might pick one up as a little project.

However for this project, im still leaning towards the Rem 700. Obvious reasons over the Omark (mag capacity, LH action).
Reason why im leaning over the savage is not clear, however for some reason i'd just prefer the rem. Dont ask me why however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Mod 10FLCP-K. Ken Farrel 20MOA sloped base, Burris Signature Zee rings, Weaver V-24 scope, bipod of your choice, I suggest Harris.

Reasonable cost combined with highly adequate capability and simple portability. The muzzle brake may be a problem for sanctioned competitions. Personally, I am ambivalent about muzzle brakes on a .308.

Greg </div></div>

Nice practical suggestions. +1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, new to the forum and all, so i'll try and cover this as much as possible.

I'm looking to build my own rifle for long range (800m+) shooting, and at the same want it to be practical to take out bush hunting and all that. I'm trying not to spend rediculous amounts of money, but obviously i know this will cost alot.

Before i start, i'm living down under (australia), which is probably second only to the UK in firearm restrictions. So no semi autos, no suppressors, no magazines over 10 rounds, no rifles shorter than 75cm when folded, and nothing .50 BMG (Not that im looking to go bigger than .300 winmag).

Also, i'm a lefty
frown.gif
so limits the choice a tad.

Anyhow, here's what i was thinking of building.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint L/H (in .308).
Choate Ultimate Sniper/Varmint Stock (apparantly they're Crap... McMillan or Muller anybody?)
Scope... Nightforce? Not too sure at the moment.
Bipod, not too sure really, suggestions anyone? Something that wont snag too much on the bush.

I was also considering using an Omark M44 Action and building from there, being single-shot it doesnt really matter that it comes in RH only.

So... comments and criticisms really? This is my first foray into shooting at anything past the 300m mark really. </div></div>

Loose the 308 cartridge for 800M+. 6.5mm or 7mm will drift much less in the wind and wind always being your biggest hindrance. Learn to reload.It's rewarding when mastered.

Steve

@ Steve.
Would you suggest perhaps a .243 or 7mm-08?
.243 would be nice because the SPS comes in .243 and would save rebarreling, however at the same time im a fan of the .308 because this rig might come out hunting now and then and the knockdown power would be more beneficial.

Jon.
Nice rifle, but i doubt it'd get past import with a stock like that. Gun laws can be tight in this country, especially regarding imports.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I think i'll head down to the gunsmiths in the next week and maybe play with the savage's and rem 700's, see which one has the action i prefer.

Ok just to clear things up Omarks are available in Left hand or right hand. If it has an adaptor and a diferent boltface or the bolt handle moved forward to give better primary extraction. The Omark is not a good thing to start to look at modifying they were designed to be fired with factory 7.62 ammo not 308 and not reloads so they have some shortcomings and they can be found around the $300 mark witn sights. If you want to use this rifle for 800plus how much shooting have you done to say 600 yards? if you have not go to a range that shoots F Class and take any 308 you already have and practice.

To build a 800Plus rifle forget 30 cal look at a 284 Win on a long action if you are going to build a custom rifle with a 30-06 action. if looking at a factory rifle to shoot long distances a left hand Sendaro in 700 Rem Mag would be the first choice or any heavy barreled left hand 7mm rem mag then work on the optics and stock.

But you dont realy seem to be saying you have shot long range mabe i missed it. go to a range and shoot ammo and infront of 800 yards a 308 is hard to beet for cost of ammo and barrel life.
If you get a 7mm mag you are good to go to a mile and no massive recoil.

I've never seriously shot past 300-400m, so this is my first real go into Longrange shooting. Hence me wanting to go with a basic, simple calibre, with a decent but not hugely expensive factory rifle and a decent optic on the top.
McMillan A5 is simply there because i have the money for it, and it's a sweet stock.

I went to usedguns.com.au and saw a few 6.5x55 Swedes there. That is an excellent cartridge for long range shooting. Not sure what getting ammo for the 6.5x55 is like down under.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ Steve.
Would you suggest perhaps a .243 or 7mm-08?
.243 would be nice because the SPS comes in .243 and would save rebarreling, however at the same time im a fan of the .308 because this rig might come out hunting now and then and the knockdown power would be more beneficial. </div></div>

Probably 708 of the two for more knock down power at distance for hunting.It'll give you more barrel life as well.

You might be interested to know that two bullets of different calibers,of the same weight,going the same velocity will not arrive with the same amount of energy.The reason why is "Ballistic Coefficient-BC".

For instance a 168 grain bullet in .308 cal and a 168 grain bullet in .284 cal/7mm.

Instead of a me giving a lengthy explanation you can go to JBM calculations, http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.0.cgi and play with their program to see how the numbers stack up.Be sure to note the difference in wind drift.

Steve

Typical BC for 168gr Match is .447

Ranger.
Ammo is just pricey allround down here. 6.5 swede is kinda popular actually, so ammo for it isnt scarce by any means. Almost all gun shops would stock it i'd say.

Steve.
Cheers mate. I've also looked at the Sav Mod 10 FLCP-K, in .308
Its kinda looking more and more like what i want, good trigger, comes with detachable mags, less gunsmithing required.
However only comes in .308 and not .243, though obviously it could be rebarreled.

I was thinking of perhaps ordering the Savage instead, seems like a better gun allround, its about $30 cheaper than the Rem (peanunt money, but still), has the detachable mag already, adjustable trigger and fluted barrel with brake.
Plus its a tactical rifle, not a varmint rifle, which is a bit of a difference considering it's built for the tactical role, not varminting.

Pretty much in frankston mate.

Steve.
Actually i have a Tikka T3, well its my dads, i bought it for him a few months back in .223 but he hasnt got a scope on it yet so it hasnt been shot.
Not a bad rifle really, though his is the Lite Synthetic.

Ok, well i was in the local shop and they had the 10 FCP-K on the wall, had a bit of a handle and fell in love with it, so i've ordered the FLCP-K in .308, should be coming in a couple of weeks...

I'm looking to pickup a detachable box mag kit. the ACME kit from Sharp Shooter's Supplies looked very promising. Is this kit a good option, or should i be looking at something else?

Also, Bases, what would people reccomend? EGW look good, and I've been reccomended them, are they any good.
I can afford the Nightforce base but if EGW are fine then i'd get them rather than the Nightforce and put the money towards a better scope or somesuch.