• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

building a sniper rifle

aatactical

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2008
Missouri
I would like to build a sniper rifle from custom or high quality parts is this possible and where do I begin. I also like the AR platform and have built my own AR15 rifle but never a bolt rifle any help would be great. I might mention I want this rifle to be very accurate other than my skills which will need alot of work. Top quality is what I would like thanks

Re: building a sniper rifle

Yeah you can build one, but if you want top quality like you said then I'd suggest one of the many good gunsmiths on this site.

Well maybe buying a rifle and then adding things to make it better does that sound right. Like buying a stripped car and adding to it with better items.

I would think with your PhD you would have researched the topic a bit more before making such a post. Lots of good reading on this site - take advantage of it.

Buy a Remington 700,p,Varmint or 5R or go straight to G.A. Precision. There in our state shipping is always fast. If your looking for one of the best go G.A.

www.gaprecision.net/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aatactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to build a sniper rifle......</div></div>

Whatcha Snipin' with it?

I am sorry didn't mean to take up space, I can't see very well and I thought I could get some good advice from members in a shorter period of reading time. I am legaly blind except for the center of my right eye so if you are unhappy because I am taking advantage of all the other members on here who have no problem answering my questions without having to do all the reading due to my eyes. If you feel I donn't deserve to ask questions before I read for days then I am sorry. If other members don't want to reply and give advice thats their choice. You dont need to tell me my post is not desreving you sound like one of those guys on the other sites. I wish you would use your PHD before you critizise other members post.

You are not going to get any sympathy here. If you can see well enough to shoot, you can see well enough to use the search box. There are tons of aids to make computer viewing easier for the handicapped.

1. You took the "lazy way" by posting before searching.
2. It's not a damn SNIPER rifle unless you are a Sniper or the rifle was designed from the ground up for the purpose of killing people or little birds (Snipe).

You hit the two hot buttons in one post. At least you filled out your profile first.

I am sorry I was in the military with the 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg and thats what we called it and were proud of it. 78 static line jumps with full gear, 10 tailgate jumps C130 27 jumps from helicopters and 12 free fall jumps from 12,000 ft. I call it a sniper rifle sorry it has offended you too. Second post I put up and you can already see the people who like to correct others. I am sorry I offend you as well.

Newbie + "sniper" + clearly has not researched subject + aatactical domain name registered = hackles up on this site. That's not personal - that is the way it is here.

If you got a disability and want help then state it up front and many will gladly assist you. That is another way it is here.

The only thing you can screw together yourself is a Savage if not buying a factory rifle or custom from one of the big smiths or a lesser known smith. If that is your goal then Savage it is for you. Lilja will sell you a quality tube and you'll need to order a stock from McMillan with the inlet to match your action and the barrel profile you choose. The tools are available at Midway. Sharpshooter Supply can hook you up with a cheaper stock.

Now your my kinda guy well I am going snipin for the grass that moves I just want to build a sniper rifle for the investment and because I am a veteran and I love my country my right to own my weapons, and I enjoy guys like you that have interest in what I have to say and not how I say it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aatactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sorry I was in the military with the 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg and thats what we called it and were proud of it.........I call it a sniper rifle sorry it has offended you too. </div></div>

You earned the title as a Paratrooper right? You busted your ass for it I bet. Does that make every soccer mom who jumps out of an airplane a Paratrooper?

Would it frost your ass if I called every hobby parachutist a "Paratrooper"?

Everyone has there opinion I dont need any sorrow here I just want a little advice. A sniper rifle kills any thing you want it to just like a rifle you call if what you want I will call it what I want thats my right. By the way were a leg in the military. Have any kids in Iraq while your sittin in front of your computer critisizing other while my son is protecting your ass. Give me a break

"sniping" is anything such as it it described........

A sniper is usually a highly trained marksman that shoots targets from concealed positions or distances exceeding the capabilities of regular personnel. Snipers typically have specialized training and distinct high-precision rifles.

I know a bunch of deer snipers who have never been in a "military sniper squad/unit"

A few want to reserve the "badge" to those who were trained by DoD to kill people or something.

Sorry buddy. I earned my right to criticize your ass with sweat and blood. I think you will find that you aren't the only one here who has served or is currently serving.

And with that, I am out. Good luck on your "Sniper Rifle" build.

So, does bragging about spending big bucks and sitting at home with most of your time posting on websites make one more qualified as a "sniper" than another.

I'll lay down with an out of the box 5R and shoot against any $5k rig all day!

Am I a sniper........depends?

responds pretty quick for a "blind" guy that can't read well enough to search the 5000 post on building rifles...

doesn't type/speak english for shit.

I'm not implying anything...

BUT, I'm just saying

I did a tandem once. That night, I got a tattoo:

1.jpg

It doesn't frost my ass I just need a little advice without members who make remarks like I am taking the easy way out because I didnt do any research is this sight only for those who know it all is there a certain amount of ass kissin you goota do before you get treated like a honest joe just lookin for advice. Well I dont kiss no ones ass never did never will I have done my time so maybe there is a different way for a hardcore guy like me who loves his country can be part of a good thing if not This agenda isnt for me.

screw 'em. there are many who know what they are talking about. some act like hardened war vets when the "relief" troops come in country back in vietnam or something bu tmany here with much to share and great insight. do search though and you will avoid their holier than though digs

Look for experience too. ANyone can make a banner. I would not give alot of bank to a kid that was E-4 with 6 ribbons (given for having a pulse) and a jungle expert badge circa 1985.

Oh, and watch for the so called Marines flashing a bunch of Army Airborne wings and proudly naming themselves "bums" in their profile.

I said I could see out of the center of my eye and how do you know if someone is typing what I say. You know maybe I stand correctec is this site only for actual certified snipers or what man I pissed everyone off I collect and build black rifles and want to build a precision sniper hell whatever you want to call it rifle Hell I didnt say I was a good shot I was when I could see. All I want is help from the guys here who know. I am sure 95% of you guys know way more about these rifles than I do thats fine. I do alot of research but being new to the sight Where do you start.

aatactical calm down for minute. These guys are busting your chops over your post, not your service record. And while we appreciate your service many of the guys here either have or are doing there time also, so you certainly aren't unique in that aspect. The reason these guys are busting your chops over your post is because after you have been around sites like this one for a couple of years you start to notice how all the new guys ask the same question every week. And after you have answered the same question for about the 10th time it starts to get old. Thus new guys that ask a question that has been answered many times over get responses such as yours. A simple search on this site would have revealed many post about the subject at hand and answered your questions.

As for your question. Unless you have many thousands of dollars worth of tooling sitting around you house building your rifle yourself is almost out of the question. The exception is a Stevens/Savage rifle. These actions allow for you to build a rifle in a home workshop with simple tooling. My personal suggestion would be have a qualified smith build you a rifle however taking the DIY approach will get a perfectly acceptable rifle also.

Start by ignoring wanna bees and critics. You can feel someone whos sincere and has something of value to share which is the objective here

Get a Remington SPS Tac, 5R or an FN SPR and start searching for those pro to what you get/have.

That was handy in '69 and even Panama in '83. Not much bank in Arabia, Europe or future theater threats. Good training nonetheless....where did you complete it?

Okay I apoogize to all I have offended. I just got my ass busted over a post I thought was good, but wasn't. I would imagine I won't get any advice after this. I dont claim to be a wise ass or better than anyone else I have all the respect in the world for all these men on this site I just took the post the wrong way. To all of you who I have angered or belittled I am sorry and I will try to ask better questions next time. I just want to be part of a good thing.

I would recomend a starter rifle like Remington PSS, Remington 5R Mil spec, they are both good rifles, that are not only common, but commonly up graded by just about any gunsmith. Either will shoot .5 / 5 shot groups at 100yrds out of the box. You can pick either up for $1000.00. If you want to spend more money, FN SPR's, Kimber Tactical, and Advanced Tactical, come to mind, twice the money, a few more custom features but for the most part .5 / 5 shot groups at 100yrds. If you want better than .5 or more custom features, then go to GA Precision, Mike Lau at Texas Brigade Armory, or the like, but you are looking at 3k, or more just depends on how much you want to spend and what features you want on your rifle, by the way as you progress through shooting your wants, and likes and dislikes will change, hence the reason most long range shooters have a few long range rifles. Oh and by the way forgive the kids here, most didn't get enough love when they were young, good luck on the rifle and remember shooting is supposed to be fun.
smile.gif

good enough for me aatac... now as for the DOUCHE, Jungle Operations Training Center was at Ft Sherman Panama, and the invasion of Panama was 89, not 83... but hey, what does a kid know huh, maybe some of don't brag about our Nasty Girl time

I was in panama Ft. Sherman 1981 Jungle training. Beautiful place right next to the water. At night the canal was awsome.

Thank you for the response I am going to look at those you guys have mentioned. AS far as caliber is 308 the choice of most guys or something larger 338 lapua etc.

aatac, what you have to realize is that on this site we get nublets posting the same "sniper rifle" questions ALL THE TIME. What you also have to realize is this site is STUPID-filled with a large majority of the best and most experienced trigger pullers, best gunsmiths, and generally best people there ARE. We will without question go the extra mile to help each other without being asked. Slow your role, sit back, do a bit of searching, do some homework to learn the in's and out's of the site, and learn the in's and out's of the members. Some are more laid back than others, and some will straight go for your carotid after they go for your jugular, but they will also back you up and have your back 24/7. Unless you're a douchnozzle. Then you are fucked. Sometimes it's better to sit on your hands, then let fly at the keyboard. Come correct, come honest, and the rest will fall into place.

Welcome to the 'Hide.

Jack

aatactical if your fairly new to tactical rifles and with reduced vision and on a budget i would suggest buying something like a remington 700 and buy a new stock from the likes of mcmillan, manners, bell and carlson. I would then pick up the best optics i could afford, nightforce s&b uso or if your on a tighter budget you can go for leupold, zeiss, nikon.
After you have used the rifle for a while and got the basic fundamentals down you can always have your rifle blueprinted and a new barrel installed by some of the great rifle makers on this website. These guys really do assist in making your rifle the best it can be according to your abilities.

I hope this helps a little.

Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">aatac, what you have to realize is that on this site we get nublets posting the same "sniper rifle" questions ALL THE TIME. What you also have to realize is this site is STUPID-filled with a large majority of the best and most experienced trigger pullers, best gunsmiths, and generally best people there ARE. We will without question go the extra mile to help each other without being asked. Slow your role, sit back, do a bit of searching, do some homework to learn the in's and out's of the site, and learn the in's and out's of the members. Some are more laid back than others, and some will straight go for your carotid after they go for your jugular, but they will also back you up and have your back 24/7. Unless you're a douchnozzle. Then you are fucked. Sometimes it's better to sit on your hands, then let fly at the keyboard. Come correct, come honest, and the rest will fall into place.

Welcome to the 'Hide.

Jack </div></div>

Me not being a sniper, but needing info all the time, I can certainly say that this post is true to form..

Thanks and I will take your advice, and that is a very nice blackrifle there. I wish I could build a Ar10 that was accurate the ar platform is nice. I do lots and lots of 5.56 223 rem reloading.

What I am trying to understand is do you want a rifle to shoot or to collect?

If it's to shoot and you have vision issues then you may be best served by a 700P or 5R with some good glass. Depending on your physical capabilities you may not ever see the advantages that a custom rig will provide.

If you just want one to collect, then GA Precision is who you will want to talk to. Anything they put together will be worth more than the sum of it's parts.

If you want to screw it all together yourself, then Savage is probably the way to go. I mainly work with Remington 700's so others will have to help you with the Savage.

Well good question, I can only see out of the center of my right eye all my vision is gone in my left eye and the perifial vision in my right eye is gone as well. I have basically tunnel vision. I dont need a rifle thats top dollar just one that I can shoot even if I am not that good due to my vision. I am sure optics will fix the most part of it, but I want to invest in a quality rifle. They say the 3 Gs are where to put your money Guns, Gold, Ground. I do like Rem but dont know models or caliber size for investment purposes. I build AR15 uppers and that I know pretty good other than that I am here to learn from you guys.

Oh I know but if you had a 5.56 I have 3 brand new Bcg I could of hooked you up with one if you could't find one.

I know this may be late but do you mind returning the money you stole from me in January of 2009. Remember, I purchased 2 Stag Arms 6.8 lowers from you and I have never received them or the refund you promised me.

Regards