• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building an "ELR" Rifle - 28 Nosler?

Desert_Racer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
USA
I posted this originally in the bolt action section earlier this week but haven't gotten any replies. Perhaps this is a better forum for the question.

I've finally started amassing parts for a long action magnum build that I've waited years to do. The purpose is to shoot steel at longer ranges (1500+). I am deliberating over caliber selection, however. Ideally, I would like to get somewhere between 1200 to 1500 rounds of accuracy before needing to dump the barrel. As I understand it, the 300 WM fits this bill and the 7mm Mag fits in the lower end of that spectrum. I have, however, taken interest in the 28 Nosler for its velocity increase over the other two and the impressive BC of the new 7mm 180gr ELD Match (.796 G1/.401 G7 as advertised). Data on the 28 Nosler is limited on both google and the search function of the new site, but I assume it falls well below that barrel life window. I will not be shooting long strings. Can anyone shed some light on the 28 Nosler for this application or point me in a better direction?

Current parts I've acquired so far:

Stiller Tac 300 (Mag bolt face)
Bartlein 7mm Heavy Palma 9.6-8.7 gain twist blank, (planning on 28" finish length)
Jewel HVRTS trigger
KRG W3 Chassis
Accurate CIP Mag made for 300 RUM (Same parent cartridge as the 28 Nosler)

I wish I had some good anecdotal info to give you, but I'm in a similar boat. I've got a 28 Nosler barrel being spun now for a desert tech SRS and am also having it finished at 28". Mine is a 1-8" twist, and I'm hoping to launch 180 grain bullets to a mile accurately. A friend has a build on a savage action, and has felt that his barrel will make 1200 at least based on current wear at 200 rounds or so.

Good of luck on your build, and I hope to glean some knowledge if anyone drops in with a comment or two.

I have a couple of 300 WM and they are a joy to shoot, cheap to reload and do fine on my targets which are steel out to 1550 yds. Going beyond 1550 probably would be stretching it. Not saying I could not ring a plate at a mile but not with consistency. My gunsmith used to own a big range in Wyo where they held the Carlos Hathcock Memorial Shoot, International Tactical RIfle Competition and a 1 mile shoot. The hands down winning caliber was the 300 RUM, but that was before the Cheytacs and of course the 28 Nosler.

One of the guys I shoot with has a 300 RUM and it kicks my 300WM ass at distance. BUT....not as much fun to shoot IMO and expensive to shoot.

28 Nosler certainly is expensive to shoot, mostly with the brass being the most expensive component. I'm unsure of the quality of Nosler brass, but that is the only brand available at this juncture. At roughly $70/25 pieces, its painful on the wallet. If I can get 5 reloadings out of it, I'll be happy.

I got on JBM and played around with the calculator. With the Hornady 180gr ELD match, pushing 3000fps @ 5500'/59 degrees F, its a 14.8 mil drop at one mile and a 2.1 mil hold for a 10 mph wind.

Nosler's load data shows their 175gr projo out of a 26" barrel with 77gr of H1000 (their alleged most accurate load) pushes 3002 fps. RL33 was the fastest on the table with just over 3200 fps for their most accurate load with that powder (88gr).

Last edited:
I wish I had some good anecdotal info to give you, but I'm in a similar boat. I've got a 28 Nosler barrel being spun now for a desert tech SRS and am also having it finished at 28". Mine is a 1-8" twist, and I'm hoping to launch 180 grain bullets to a mile accurately. A friend has a build on a savage action, and has felt that his barrel will make 1200 at least based on current wear at 200 rounds or so.

Good of luck on your build, and I hope to glean some knowledge if anyone drops in with a comment or two.

Same to you, sir. What powder are you planning on using? The manager at my local shop is running a 26 Nosler and has suggested using RL-33, however, my research has found several complaints of temperature sensitivity with this powder. Heat potential is also a factor, which makes H1000 somewhat enticing as well as its apparent temperature stability.

Last edited:
Great question, CSAR FE. I caught a good deal on some factory 168 Nosler rounds at $44 per 20 round box on Grafs.com, and decided to get 100 rounds to both give me a little practice and some quality brass.

After I make it through 20-40 of those, I would also like to shoot the 180 eld-m. My friend shoots with ram shot, I believe, and is clearing 3100 fps. Not sure what his load is. I'm also a little concerned with temp stability, even though the RL powders seem to really produce well and are tempting.

Great question, CSAR FE. I caught a good deal on some factory 168 Nosler rounds at $44 per 20 round box on Grafs.com, and decided to get 100 rounds to both give me a little practice and some quality brass.

After I make it through 20-40 of those, I would also like to shoot the 180 eld-m. My friend shoots with ram shot, I believe, and is clearing 3100 fps. Not sure what his load is. I'm also a little concerned with temp stability, even though the RL powders seem to really produce well and are tempting.

That's an excellent price on those. I was at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday and it was $70/box.

I'm in the same boat as 6.5x55 guy. I'm having a 30", 8 twist barrel turned up for my SRS A1. I'm having it chambered for the 195 Berger's thought. Hoping to get the 195 going around 3050+. I'll keep you guys posted.

Best Regards,

Todd

Hi we have built a few 7mm and 300 dakotas the 7mm can push 180s oved 3200 with Retumbo being the best powder. I use Retumbo in mh 300 with 230 Bergers. The cases ard almost the same capacity as the Nosler rounds just go's to show you not much is new.
Barrel life suffers with string firing thats why i use a 30 cal for string shooting.
If you are shooting less than t rounds before letting it cool the 7mm is awesome and the 8 twist will run 197gr sierras and 195gr bergers.
If your firing 10 shot strings look at a 30 cal.

Also look at the Dakotas they work beautifully
And dont believe some manufactures bc claims some are severly overated

Cheers Bill
Australia

Just received my first batch of 28 Nosler from Copper Creek. They are loaded with the 195 Berger's. Should have my barrel in a couple more weeks! Can't wait. I snapped this pic next to a 6.5 creedmoor for comparison.

Attachments

• photo57148.jpg
    photo57148.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 393
Just received my first batch of 28 Nosler from Copper Creek. They are loaded with the 195 Berger's. Should have my barrel in a couple more weeks! Can't wait. I snapped this pic next to a 6.5 creedmoor for comparison.

The 28 Nosler is a monstrosity for sure! I should have my rifle in hand in the next two weeks. I will post up data as it comes.

What twist rate are you running for those 195's?

I'm building a 28 for myself right now, have everything except the action. Waiting on my tl3 for about 6 months now, oh well.

I did chamber one for my buddy and he was getting 3130-3150 with rl33 and a 27-1/2" barrel. Great accuracy as well but I can't speak to temp sensitivity yet because he hasn't shot it enough.

I'm building a 28 for myself right now, have everything except the action. Waiting on my tl3 for about 6 months now, oh well.

I did chamber one for my buddy and he was getting 3130-3150 with rl33 and a 27-1/2" barrel. Great accuracy as well but I can't speak to temp sensitivity yet because he hasn't shot it enough.

What projectile was he using?

Received my 28 Nosler barrel from Primal Rights yesterday. 195 Berger loads were purchased from Copper Creek. Stretched it out at 1000 today for the first time. Average velocity was 3043 and it took 5.9 mils at 1000 yards. I need to find a longer range now because this cartridge makes 1000 yards a chip shot.

Todd

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Received my 28 Nosler barrel from Primal Rights yesterday. 195 Berger loads were purchased from Copper Creek. Stretched it out at 1000 today for the first time. Average velocity was 3043 and it took 5.9 mils at 1000 yards. I need to find a longer range now because this cartridge makes 1000 yards a chip shot.

Todd

Outstanding. Do you know what powder Copper Creek is using?

Thanks for the info. Let's keep it coming!

I have been shooting a Rem 700 Long Range 26" factory bbl with the 195 Berger Hybrid at 2950 fps... the velocity is higher than I expected, but I have verified with Magnetospeed and with dope.

It appears that the new 180 ELD has G7 = .401 / G1= .796, which beats the Berger's .387 / .754.... anyone seeing verified BC out of the 180 ELD? If so, it would be a no brainer... higher BC with lower weight bullet. But I am not sure I buy it....

Just got my 28 nosler barrel in for the srs a1. Have plans to shoot this coming weekend. I've got a range out to a mile. 168 nosler factory rounds for this time. Then maybe some 180 ELD-m later.

Im also curious on the 180 eld-m. The rest of the ELD line has lived up to published BC from my experience. Hoping this does as well.

For comparison's sake, the 7mm Boo Boo (necked up/blown out 6.5 x 68s RWS brass) achieves 3050fps using a 180 Berger and 71 grains of H1000. It can go faster but there are trade offs. Shot out to 1500 yards on a Butts range with great accuracy and barrel life in a bench gun was 800 rounds. Currently in a tactical gun and accuracy is still good with round count heading past 800. Bore scoped regularly and often. A Poor Man's 338 Lapua and kudos to Mr Tooley for developing it.

I had my 28 out again this weekend. I am so impressed by this cartridge. Accuracy right around .3 moa, recoil is way less than anticipated and the wind cutting ability is incredible. This is by far my favorite caliber now.

Todd

Attachments

• photo58951.jpg
    photo58951.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 111
Mine was supposed to be ready yesterday but that didn't work out.

I'm interested to hear more about brass life from you gentlemen. Someone somewhere on the forum mentioned primer pockets went sour after two loadings. Lets hope this isn't the case with brass being $2.75 a piece.

Last edited:
I had my 28 out again this weekend. I am so impressed by this cartridge. Accuracy right around .3 moa, recoil is way less than anticipated and the wind cutting ability is incredible. This is by far my favorite caliber now.

Todd

That looks mean. What brake are you using?

It's an APA Fat Bastard and it works! You don't want to be the guy next to me at the bench though. It will blow the ball cap right off your head.

Todd

I've got a mad scientist 30 cal on the way. Should be here tomorrow. Shooting Sunday- hopefully can get out to 1200 and beyond if all goes well.

I posted this originally in the bolt action section earlier this week but haven't gotten any replies. Perhaps this is a better forum for the question.

I've finally started amassing parts for a long action magnum build that I've waited years to do. The purpose is to shoot steel at longer ranges (1500+). I am deliberating over caliber selection, however. Ideally, I would like to get somewhere between 1200 to 1500 rounds of accuracy before needing to dump the barrel. As I understand it, the 300 WM fits this bill and the 7mm Mag fits in the lower end of that spectrum. I have, however, taken interest in the 28 Nosler for its velocity increase over the other two and the impressive BC of the new 7mm 180gr ELD Match (.796 G1/.401 G7 as advertised). Data on the 28 Nosler is limited on both google and the search function of the new site, but I assume it falls well below that barrel life window. I will not be shooting long strings. Can anyone shed some light on the 28 Nosler for this application or point me in a better direction?

Current parts I've acquired so far:

Stiller Tac 300 (Mag bolt face)
Bartlein 7mm Heavy Palma 9.6-8.7 gain twist blank, (planning on 28" finish length)
Jewel HVRTS trigger
KRG W3 Chassis
Accurate CIP Mag made for 300 RUM (Same parent cartridge as the 28 Nosler)

I've noted that during the last months, all load data published by Nosler on these cartridges has been revised and corrected, in most cases reducing both velocity and charge. So, try to keep an eye open on what you load and what are real possibilities for the cartridge.

How did it go today 65?

Man, got rained out. Sucks. I've got a new shoot date set for the 24th.

Also, I'm not about to bash a vendor, but I'm a bit steamed at DTA. Ordered a new bolt assembly specifically for this new barrel (I only had the .308 bolt face before) and they accepted the order 2 weeks ago and then never sent it. Haven't returned an email either. I'm sure there has to be a good reason, but at this point it hasn't shown up yet.

How is your's shooting?

I personally shoot a 300 Norma Magnum but I got friends I long range hunt with using 28 Nosler.

From what i've seen, you would not be disappointed in the 28 Nosler.

Here's mine. I just got done with eye surgery so I'm not sure when I'll get to shoot it, but I'll be putting together some test loads this week.

Attachments

• photo60522.jpg
    photo60522.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 55

Todd

Do you have a cip length mag in order to make the copper creek loads fit, or will the std TL3 LA do it?

Do you have a cip length mag in order to make the copper creek loads fit, or will the std TL3 LA do it?

My rifle is a Desert Tech. The standard length 300WM magazine has plenty of length. If you are building one using a TL3 action, you will need a CIP length mag to work with the copper creek 3.7" coal - 195 Berger loads.

Todd

My rifle is a Desert Tech. The standard length 300WM magazine has plenty of length. If you are building one using a TL3 action, you will need a CIP length mag to work with the copper creek 3.7" coal - 195 Berger loads.

Todd

Ok. Thank you so much!

Just keeping this thread alive- I've shot through 75 rounds of factory ammo. Been a lot of fun, but so far I've only tested to 1000 yards, and only once. That's not a chip shot, but it's not really straining this caliber either.

I have a ladder setup up with 180 eldm over varying charges of RL33. Hoping to take a long weekend in early September and try it out. Had a small setback this summer- family farm I shoot at has corn planted in my usual area to shoot. We have a slightly elevated position, and last year it had soybeans, and we were able to shoot over them. The corn is no bueno for my purposes (and you can't really put steel in place and see it) but harvest is around the corner.

How is everyone else doing?

To chamber for the 195 Berger.... Can any rifle builder do this? Planning a build. Also are the 180 ELD bullets working out better for for ELR?

For comparison's sake, the 7mm Boo Boo (necked up/blown out 6.5 x 68s RWS brass) achieves 3050fps using a 180 Berger and 71 grains of H1000. It can go faster but there are trade offs. Shot out to 1500 yards on a Butts range with great accuracy and barrel life in a bench gun was 800 rounds. Currently in a tactical gun and accuracy is still good with round count heading past 800. Bore scoped regularly and often. A Poor Man's 338 Lapua and kudos to Mr Tooley for developing it.

Where do you get brass? The x68 is a badass round, toughest large primer case out there.

Aint got no x68 chambered rifle...if I was to own a magnum tho its definitely the case Id run! What I hear its pretty much only mag case just as tough as, PPC, 6 BR, and 6.5x47 brass

Pretty much. The 28 Nosler pretends it is offering something new, but the Boo Boo is years ahead of it and the 68s been proven in 257 (Banshee), 7mm and 30 Boo Boo, 338 and 375 wildcats. And now RWS is offering a 10.3 factory round to the 6.5 x 68s and 8 x 68s.

so how has brass life been for everyone? how is the 180 eld holding up? any reports?

I had a 28 Nosler with a proof in a 1in 9 twist and loved it with the 175 nosler ammo. Loved it so much I am currently building a 28 with a 1x8 (or 8.4) and throated for the 195's. It is my hunting rifle so I liked the required Wyatts internal box and no magazine. The OAL of the loaded 28 with the 195's is to long for magazines. Plus I dont think I'll shoot it as hard as my 6.5. I let the last one cool after every three shots and would blast my 6.5 so I wasnt bored at the range. Again because I just hunt with it I wasnt concerned with trying to get more than 3 reloads per case. I also am having this built with a fluted steel barrel because those proofs are so expensive. One thing that was a bit of a pain in the ass was that the barrel sped up a bunch after 70 ish rounds so I needed to redo my load data. I should have just blasted factory ammo for the first 100 ish and then started the development once the barrel settled.