• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building custom....which action????

Out of the 2 .....TL3
Lighter bolt lift , controlled round feed,mechanical ejector, bayonet firing pin,
Swapable bolt heads. DLCed
Runs dirty too
All Great features to have at the same cost.
Why wouldn’t you?

Bolt lift becomes indiscernible by hand once you've broken in the Defiance, and the Deviant runs smoother overall under actual shooting conditions even without being broken in.

CRF/ME, who cares? I'll admit, I thought maybe I did, but I don't. That decade's old debate is dead.

Swappable bolt heads - OK, maybe. But 90% of the guys that think they are building switch barrels will never switch the barrel, and you can just get a new bolt for the Defiance if you really do care for a switch barrel.

DLC, you can get a DLC'd Defiance.

Runs dirty - even the default Deviant tolerances run dirty. I and many others have run stock Deviants before. At worst you need to pull the bolt and wipe it on your shirt occasionally, but I find myself doing the same thing with the TL3.

I like them both as actions. I will keep both. None of these reasons would sway me one way or the other.

CRF/ME, who cares? I'll admit, I thought maybe I did, but I don't. That decade's old debate is dead.

Swappable bolt heads - OK, maybe. But 90% of the guys that think they are building switch barrels will never switch the barrel, and you can just get a new bolt for the Defiance if you really do care for a switch barrel.

So are you saying that CRF and mechanical ejection are not advantageous features to have in an action?!?! I think it's a pretty bold statement to dismiss those features and claim that the debate for them is dead...

I agree that most people probably won't end up switching barrels frequently, but I still think swappable bolt heads is a nice thing to have considering that a custom action could last a lifetime (or more) of shooting. Even if you aren't planning on switch-barreling frequently, you will still most likely shoot out a barrel and when you go to replace it, having swappable bolt heads allows you to choose a completely different cartridge.

So are you saying that CRF and mechanical ejection are not advantageous features to have in an action?!?! I think it's a pretty bold statement to dismiss those features and claim that the debate for them is dead...

I agree that most people probably won't end up switching barrels frequently, but I still think swappable bolt heads is a nice thing to have considering that a custom action could last a lifetime (or more) of shooting. Even if you aren't planning on switch-barreling frequently, you will still most likely shoot out a barrel and when you go to replace it, having swappable bolt heads allows you to choose a completely different cartridge.

That is exactly what I am saying. If *you* prefer one over the other, fine. But arguing that one is better than the other overall is a dead end road. We've had CRF/ME for a long, long time, it's not like it's some novel new invention that the world just can't live without.

And, like I pointed out, you can just get a new bolt.

That is exactly what I am saying. If *you* prefer one over the other, fine. But arguing that one is better than the other overall is a dead end road. We've had CRF/ME for a long, long time, it's not like it's some novel new invention that the world just can't live without.

And, like I pointed out, you can just get a new bolt.

Do you really own both, I have had 3 defiance actions,still have 1 and 2 Tl3s.
The bolt lift is lighter on the TL3 Period
Controlled round feed and mechanical ejection
Is better/more consistent when running br based
Cases and every bit as good when running others.
You forgot to refute the bayonet firing pin/bolt shroud.
TL3 is DLCed from the factory for no extra charge. the possibility of getting a new bolt is as advantageous as swappable bolt heads.....come on
These nuances although small or inconsequential to you , add up for me

Last edited:
Not to mention the softer PTG bolts in the Defiance and the ultra consistent Bighorn headspace.

Do you really own both, I have had 3 defiance actions,still have 1 and 2 Tl3s.
The bolt lift is lighter on the TL3 Period
Controlled round feed and mechanical ejection
Is better/more consistent when running br based
Cases and every bit as good when running others.
You forgot to refute the bayonet firing pin/bolt shroud.
TL3 is DLCed from the factory for no extra charge. the possibility of getting a new bolt is as advantageous as swappable bolt heads.....come on
These nuances although small or inconsequential to you , add up for me

Yes, I own multiple of each.
No it isn't.
No, it isn't. Maybe if you don't have good gunsmith.
Ya, it's fine.
I'm not buying an action for a bayonet firing pin assembly. Who doesn't already carry a tool with them?
It's not a possibility of getting a new bolt, you *can* get a new bolt. How is that harder than buying a new bolt head? In fact it's less work to just put a new bolt in.

So you like the TL3 better because it's cheaper? I will take the tried and true Deviant over the TL3. I think it is a far stronger action with more reliable extraction. I'm fine with the TL3, I'll keep what I've got. But again, if you made me pick one it would be the Deviant 10 times out of 10.

If you like it better more power to you. But you aren't going to convince me there is anything better about the TL3.

Reactions: bjay
Have you asked defiance what a new bolt will run you? I researched this for an Atlas Tactical and a new bolt was well over $400. A TL3 bolt head is $100, $150 tops. I like my defiance action but if you are interested in being able to swap barrels then the TL3 wins hands down. I’ll never swap to a different bolt head size on my defiance but I will on the TL3s I have.

Im also getting one hole groups with a worked over Rem 700 and a Krieger barrel. So anything after that is supposed to be better.

Have you asked defiance what a new bolt will run you? I researched this for an Atlas Tactical and a new bolt was well over $400. A TL3 bolt head is $100, $150 tops. I like my defiance action but if you are interested in being able to swap barrels then the TL3 wins hands down. I’ll never swap to a different bolt head size on my defiance but I will on the TL3s I have.
From Defiance's website:
Extra bolt $350.00 complete with extractor, ejector, and fire control assembly

How does it win hands down? Are we basing this on price? That's not how I choose a winner. I don't care much about a switch barrel system, but Defiance has more bolt face options, so I would probably go with them if I did.

$1250 vs $1330 action (Defiance can be CRF/ME for $1480-- Do yourself a favor and get a Mausingfield at that point)
$150 bolt head vs. $350 bolt
I know the Bighorns are held to tight enough bolt face/receiver face tolerances that shoulderd prefits can be made, can you do that with Defiance?
Bighorn you can change the incline of the scope rail.
Bighorn can run the myriad of available Savage small shank prefits (Criterion, Proof, Mcgowen, etc..) Defiant "remage" selection is there, but smaller.
Bighorn less likely to gall lugs (I've never seen it, if someone has pics please share. I've seen several Deviants galled).

If price is not a primary concern, what's your take on AI or the M5 then?

Reactions: Covertnoob5
Don't care about CRF/ME. At all. So I wouldn't order it on a Defiance. I have an M5, and will soon (hopefully) have a Nucleus.

The $200 difference is a drop in the bucket. Plus it'll get you spares...how much is a Bighorn firing pin assembly?

I'm not into shouldered prefits. Are they close enough to be safe, sure. Close enough that I'm guaranteed to not have a tight or loose chamber that wants to eat my brass? No. I've seen it first hand. It's supposed to be a precision rifle. I'm not interested in that gamble.

Just order your action with the incline you want in the first place. I like the integral rail. If you really need to change it for some reason just call Mile High and get a Spuhr. I've personally never changed the inclination on an action that allows it. I build rifles with a purpose, I know what I want.

Don't really care that much about barrel nut prefits either, although I will admit CBI saved my ass while waiting for barrel blanks a few times.

I've never galled a Deviant. Just take care of your damn rifle, it's not hard. If you don't want to take care of your rifle then order DLC.

I think the AI is an excellent rifle. I personally don't care for the chassis or trigger that much, but you can't deny they are a fine rifle. I'd take one in a SHTF situation any day.

And, like I already mentioned, I have an M5. It's also a fine action.

Reactions: BigTex
All out of logical arguments?

Noisewater: How does the Bighorn win hands down as a switchbarrel system?

--> Savage prefit threads pitch/dia., shouldered barrel prefit capability, cheaper bolt heads

Noisewater: I don't care about prefits. I don't care about price. +/- 0.0003" is a gamble for headspace variance.

Cool story bro. You have an opinion. You like what you like and you're not receptive to things that other people like. What else is there to this? Shall I copy/paste the same arguments from above again to see if you'll say your opinion has changed? Perhaps mine will change in the process?

All out of logical arguments?

Noisewater: How does the Bighorn win hands down as a switchbarrel system?

--> Savage prefit threads pitch/dia., shouldered barrel prefit capability, cheaper bolt heads

Noisewater: I don't care about prefits. I don't care about price. +/- 0.0003" is a gamble for headspace variance.

Cool story bro. You have an opinion. You like what you like and you're not receptive to things that other people like. What else is there to this? Shall I copy/paste the same arguments from above again to see if you'll say your opinion has changed? Perhaps mine will change in the process?

Maybe you should copy and paste again, yes. Who said I didn't like the TL3? It sure wasn't me. I was just answering questions as to why I would take the Defiance first.

And, prefit != switch barrel.

"You like what you like and you're not receptive to things that other people like." Hmm. I'm the one with a cool story?

Also, if you are going to "copy and paste", at least don't edit it to put words in my mouth.

Don't care about CRF/ME. At all. So I wouldn't order it on a Defiance. I have an M5, and will soon (hopefully) have a Nucleus.

The $200 difference is a drop in the bucket. Plus it'll get you spares...how much is a Bighorn firing pin assembly?

I'm not into shouldered prefits. Are they close enough to be safe, sure. Close enough that I'm guaranteed to not have a tight or loose chamber that wants to eat my brass? No. I've seen it first hand. It's supposed to be a precision rifle. I'm not interested in that gamble.

Just order your action with the incline you want in the first place. I like the integral rail. If you really need to change it for some reason just call Mile High and get a Spuhr. I've personally never changed the inclination on an action that allows it. I build rifles with a purpose, I know what I want.

Don't really care that much about barrel nut prefits either, although I will admit CBI saved my ass while waiting for barrel blanks a few times.

I've never galled a Deviant. Just take care of your damn rifle, it's not hard. If you don't want to take care of your rifle then order DLC.

I think the AI is an excellent rifle. I personally don't care for the chassis or trigger that much, but you can't deny they are a fine rifle. I'd take one in a SHTF situation any day.

And, like I already mentioned, I have an M5. It's also a fine action.

I think everyone here has pretty much already come to the conclusion that your what we like to call a "fanboy" and no one here is going to change your opinion on the TL3 vs Deviant debate...

You sound ridiculous trying to dismiss every feature that the TL3 has as being useless and having no benefit to the user.

"...$200 is a drop in the bucket..."

"...im not interested in the 'gamble' of a shouldered prefit..."

"...don't care about barrel nut prefits..."

"...who cares about a bayonet firing pin assembly..."

Since no one here is able to convince you that any of the features on the TL3 are worthwhile to have, please enlighten us and reveal all your favorite features of the Deviant that blow the TL3 out of the water.

I think everyone here has pretty much already come to the conclusion that your what we like to call a "fanboy" and no one here is going to change your opinion on the TL3 vs Deviant debate...

You sound ridiculous trying to dismiss every feature that the TL3 has as being useless and having no benefit to the user.

"...$200 is a drop in the bucket..."

"...im not interested in the 'gamble' of a shouldered prefit..."

"...don't care about barrel nut prefits..."

"...who cares about a bayonet firing pin assembly..."

Since no one here is able to convince you that any of the features on the TL3 are worthwhile to have, please enlighten us and reveal all your favorite features of the Deviant that blow the TL3 out of the water.

No, I'm not a 'fanboy'. It's the reverse of that, the TL3 'fanboys' can't imagine that someone doesn't think the TL3 is the greatest invention ever.

And I already told you weren't going to change my opinion. I've shot countless rounds with both, I already know which I like better and which I trust more.

Imagine if I didn't like the TL3 and instead iterated all of its faults. These people would lose their shit.

Last edited:
Has that always been the case? Is everything made in house?

Not doubting you, just curious.
We made a handful of the model RR’s back in 2009 that used after market bolts. Since then we had some bolt and receiver “blanks” made to our specs from an outside source. We then completed all the machining in house. Over the past three years we have added machines and brought all the bolt and receiver machining in house from hardened, certified bar stock. We still purchase bolt stops, recoil lugs, some extractors along with pins, screws and springs, but everything else is made here.

No, I'm not a 'fanboy'. It's the reverse of that, the TL3 'fanboys' can't imagine that someone doesn't think the TL3 is the greatest invention ever.

Wrong. I'm not a TL3 fanboy, because I don't even own one, but I am intelligent enough to realize that the additional features it offers is what makes people here on the forums love them so much.

Features like swappable bolt heads, savage small shank threads, consistent headspace for shouldered prefits, CRF, bayonet firing pin assy, and mechanical ejection are part of the reason that many people here are recommending the TL3 over the Deviant, yet you still haven't made any mention as to why you would pick the Deviant "10 times out of 10".

I have nothing against Defiance actions; I am sure they make a great platform to build off of and they look sexy as well. But you came into a thread where the OP is asking which action to build off and then when a bunch of ppl suggest the TL3 and mention these features, you dismiss it all as nonsense and claim the Defiant to be the far superior action without backing up your argument. If your choice is based purely on your subjective preference, then by all means, state your opinion, but don't go around saying "who needs a bayonet firing pin assembly" or "who wants a prefit barrel on a precision rifle".

Wrong. I'm not a TL3 fanboy, because I don't even own one, but I am intelligent enough to realize that the additional features it offers is what makes people here on the forums love them so much.

Features like swappable bolt heads, savage small shank threads, consistent headspace for shouldered prefits, CRF, bayonet firing pin assy, and mechanical ejection are part of the reason that many people here are recommending the TL3 over the Deviant, yet you still haven't made any mention as to why you would pick the Deviant "10 times out of 10".

I have nothing against Defiance actions; I am sure they make a great platform to build off of and they look sexy as well. But you came into a thread where the OP is asking which action to build off and then when a bunch of ppl suggest the TL3 and mention these features, you dismiss it all as nonsense and claim the Defiant to be the far superior action without backing up your argument. If your choice is based purely on your subjective preference, then by all means, state your opinion, but don't go around saying "who needs a bayonet firing pin assembly" or "who wants a prefit barrel on a precision rifle".

I made it very clear early on that this would be a discussion of preferences. I dismiss those things as nonsense because to me they are.

I don't want a prefit. I'd much prefer a barrel be spun up specifically for my purpose. Often times I like to choose the specific reamer. Prefits are not for me.
I will never buy an action because it has a bayonet fp assembly. I do not find it hard to unscrew things. This one in particular is just a silly argument.

I'm not going to go through them all again, I addressed them already.

Most importantly, through experience, and purposely being vague because I like Bighorn while understanding that I put more rounds through mine than 99% of most people will: I think the Deviant is a stronger action with more reliable extraction. And that is far more important to me than a savage prefit or not needing to unscrew my firing pin.

Most importantly, through experience, and purposely being vague because I like Bighorn while understanding that I put more rounds through mine than 99% of most people will: I think the Deviant is a stronger action with more reliable extraction. And that is far more important to me than a savage prefit or not needing to unscrew my firing pin.

This is the information I was looking for, thanks for sharing your opinion. The OP will have to evaluate his situation and determine if an opinion that the Deviant is a stronger action with more reliable extraction will outweigh the lower cost and different/added features of the TL3.

I chamber harrels for just about every action out there in my little shop. I stay small and I develop personal relationships with my customers. I learn what they like and what they don't like. The Big horn TL3 is by far the preferred PRS action among my clients. They live the fact that they can run the BR cases without any mag mods. I bought one myself and I agree. Great action. I've never seen another action that would strip an empty 6BR case out of the mag and feed it with no bullet seated in the case. That's impressive. Bighorn has my vote

Not to take away from the debate but Ck out the new Curtis Vector video that was posted on their Facebook page. 4 barrels one action, chassis, scope. All 800 yard hits. ????. I’m waiting patiently MR. Curtis lol

How is the Deviant stronger? Under which conditions, and to what extent does it matter? is this like based on FEA models, or testing you've done, or an article that's been published or???

Likewise for extraction? What's your reasoning?

Where are your stats on Bighorn shooters and how many rounds they've fired or how many actually change barrels that originally intended to?

If we're throwing up anecdotal "evidence", the only custom actions I've ever seen galled are Defiances and BAT, and one Nesika (hmm, stainless with tight tolerances). The only customs I've seen go down in local matches or give shooters trouble with dirt and debris are Defiance and BAT. I've never seen it with Bighorn. I've never even heard of a galled Bighorn (If someone has a story or pictures I'm all eyes/ears). It's Defiance shooters that are wiping their bolts down between every stage to keep them from hiccuping and giving them grief. Defiance is the only custom action I've seen rip through and mangle rims on stuck cases because the extractor has such little surface area. The stainless Defiances run softer by 3-6 points HRC than Bighorns and the solution to galling is to surface treat them with Nitride, further softening the internal material (complete temper) to get your hard shell.

Look, the machining and finish is outstanding. Clean and lubed they run smooth as hell. If you never intend to Cerakote it, and if you don't shoot often in dirty conditions, the galling/reliability issues aren't such a concern to you. If you're not running short cases (BR/Dasher), that aspect isn't such an issue for you. Defiances have their place and lots of guys like them. Good for you. My experience (9 months working at LRI building rifles with most every action out there and several seasons of local PRS style matches) pushes me away from them, especially for the money. Seen the initial build, the use, and the aftermath (@ rebarrel time). Not interested. That's my opinion and my experience. It's shared with several builders/shooters here and elsewhere, and there are also builders/shooters that love them so it is what it is... You got the freedom to like whatever you like but I still would like clarification if your statements are just feelings/opinion or if it's backed by anything...

Reactions: leftyk82
How is the Deviant stronger? Under which conditions, and to what extent does it matter? is this like based on FEA models, or testing you've done, or an article that's been published or???

Likewise for extraction? What's your reasoning?

Where are your stats on Bighorn shooters and how many rounds they've fired or how many actually change barrels that originally intended to?

If we're throwing up anecdotal "evidence", the only custom actions I've ever seen galled are Defiances and BAT, and one Nesika (hmm, stainless with tight tolerances). The only customs I've seen go down in local matches or give shooters trouble with dirt and debris are Defiance and BAT. I've never seen it with Bighorn. I've never even heard of a galled Bighorn (If someone has a story or pictures I'm all eyes/ears). It's Defiance shooters that are wiping their bolts down between every stage to keep them from hiccuping and giving them grief. Defiance is the only custom action I've seen rip through and mangle rims on stuck cases because the extractor has such little surface area. The stainless Defiances run softer by 3-6 points HRC than Bighorns and the solution to galling is to surface treat them with Nitride, further softening the internal material (complete temper) to get your hard shell.

Look, the machining and finish is outstanding. Clean and lubed they run smooth as hell. If you never intend to Cerakote it, and if you don't shoot often in dirty conditions, the galling/reliability issues aren't such a concern to you. If you're not running short cases (BR/Dasher), that aspect isn't such an issue for you. Defiances have their place and lots of guys like them. Good for you. My experience (9 months working at LRI building rifles with most every action out there and several seasons of local PRS style matches) pushes me away from them, especially for the money. Seen the initial build, the use, and the aftermath (@ rebarrel time). Not interested. That's my opinion and my experience. It's shared with several builders/shooters here and elsewhere, and there are also builders/shooters that love them so it is what it is... You got the freedom to like whatever you like but I still would like clarification if your statements are just feelings/opinion or if it's backed by anything...

You call my evidence anecdotal, yet only provide the same yourself? I'm sure I'm not the only one to see the irony in that.

99% of shooters (probably more) do not put 10k+ rounds through an action in 6 months. Even those buying custom rifles. That is where my data comes from.

You can PM me if you really want to know, but I'm not going to trash talk Bighorn in public about issues most people will never see.

All of the things you seem so interested in jumping my shit about are the exact things you are doing yourself.

If the Deviant sucks so bad for PRS, why are most of us still using them, or returning to them?

Oh damn. I didn't realize I was talking to such a high-rolling badass. My bad dude. Floor is all yours.

Reactions: Xander3Zero
Oh damn. I didn't realize I was talking to such a high-rolling badass. My bad dude. Floor is all yours.

Once again out of logical arguments. But I will point out that you were the one who made an appeal to authority, not me. I was answering your question.

Resorting to ad hominem tactics might work on Facebook or other parts of the Internet, but it's not a particularly good look for you in here.

I'm going to gently suggest you reflect on why it makes you so angry that someone would prefer a Deviant over a TL3.

I love debates about actions. Everyone seems to have their favorite actions which they push hard, while slamming other actions. It's also interesting to see how different gunsmiths prefer different actions.

In the NW and Louisiana, seems like Defiance is the preference, in Utah it's the Curtis Custom, the NE it's Bighorn, South Texas it's AI, etc. All depends on where the manufacturers are, and what the local gunsmiths and sponsored shooters push.

I currently own the following: rem700 action which has been overhauled by TacOps, a GAP Templar V1/Defiance Rebel, IonBonded Defiance Deviant, Bighorn TL3 (the wife's) and a DLC'ed Mausingfield.

The Mausingfield is head and shoulders above the rest. I just got this action, but damn I'm impressed. Hell, even my wife who doesn't know much about rifles think's that this action is a tier above the rest. I think she is secretly angry at me that I have the Mausingfield while she got the TL3. She immediately picked up on the bolt binding issue of the TL3, first thing she commented on when she received it.

For "smoothness", it's pretty close between the IonBonded Defiance, Birdsong coated TacOps, and the DLC'ed Mausingfield. All exhibit some level of bolt binding, with the exception of the Mausingfield, with the TL3 being the worst. The TL3 overall feels very average, I was expecting more. Perhaps it will get a lot better once broken in - I should also add that it is not the DLC'ed version.

As far as reliability goes, the GAP Templar V1 is the worst. I've had multiple matches where I had to continually clean it just to keep it running. Heavy ass bolt lift, and runs like hammered dog shit in the fine dust (and it even has a turned down bolt). Verdict is still out on the new Defiance, it's chambered in .300NM so I doubt it'll be exposed to as harsh of shooting conditions as my PRS rig. The Mausingfield and TL3 run 6br like a champ, though haven't had a chance to really test it in the fine dust yet - though from what I hear both handle it well.

The Mausingfield is the most innovative, and seems to be the most well built. It's very impressive. It has a higher price than the others, but from what I have seen so far, you get what you pay for. While most other actions are a version of the rem700 with small tweaks, the Mausingfield was designed from the ground up to incorporate all the best design features of different actions past and present. The materials and manufacturing of the Mausingfield seem to be a tier above the rest as well, it's apparent that it is a bit more refined.

I used to think that all actions were for the most part the same once you got to a certain tier (because let's face it, most custom actions are a tweaked/improved design of the rem700 but with much better manufacturing processes and QA/QC), but I'm starting to think otherwise now that I own a Mausingfield. I wasn't planning on being so impressed with this action, but damn is it ever a quality action.

Last edited:
Way to take the high road and not bash Bighorn in public.

I’m pretty sure the vague references to problems likely to appear after 1000s of rounds followed by ominous undertones warning of weakness are working against your efforts though.

Way to take the high road and not bash Bighorn in public.

I’m pretty sure the vague references to problems likely to appear after 1000s of rounds followed by ominous undertones warning of weakness are working against your efforts though.

I tried like hell not to go there. But people just wouldn't let it go. I also made it clear that I still have and use my TL3's and like them.

LRD... I have the rifle you mentioned so, I'll chime in.

Deviant in a Sentinel, in the 'old' 308 caliber.

Many GunSmiths offer 'their' own custom action. A lot of them are Defiance Deviant's under another name.
Want to make a Deviant action 'sticky'? Add cerakote to the bolt or interior of the action.
Terry, whom offers the Sentinel stock, has further clarified that Defiance will make the Deviant bolt diameter to spec. and there-in lies the second 'part' of the issue of a potentially sticky, Deviant bolt.
'Short Action Customs' (SAC) will nitride treat (and turn them black) both Deviant bolt and receiver. Essentially, no coating thickness and the result is Slick as glass, bolt movement.

Fast forward to 'today' and what is now available.
ARC has figured out their Mausingfield M5 action surface treatments and coatings.
Plus, the new Nucleus just hit the market, staring life treated and coated!

I have handled a few TL-3's. Do you often change out barrels?
I do not. I like the Defiance Deviant better.

In Today's market, I like:
--Manners PRS stocks, the Elite series.
--ARC (Mausingfield M5) actions.
--308 barrel length, 22-inches MINIMUM! Do Not go heavier than a 'Heavy Palma' profile.
--Area419 muzzle brake.
**and looking forward to the new Geissele 700 trigger.

Good Luck. We have great options these days.

AN

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe all these actions work off a rem 700 foot print?