• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building My First Bolt Gun

NT93

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2017
IL - Illinois
I am in the process of gathering parts to build my first bolt rifle and am looking for thoughts, ideas, and any details that might get overlooked.

I'm set on 6.5 x 284 for this build, mainly because I've shot a few and like their performance (really considered a 7 mag though). The purpose of this gun is to shoot paper abs varmints long range in the off season and hunt medium to large sized game during the fall (elk being the biggest).

I used Leljia for a drop in barrel on an AR15 recently and give it the highest marks on accuracy and performancemail. With that being said, I'm considering using them for the barrel also. They provide contoured barrels, so I will have a friend who's a gunsmith thread and chamber it. Anyone have a recommendation on barrels? Or experience with Leljia? What about adding a break?

For the action, I've purchased a Remington 700 long action. I will have it trued/blueprinted soon, and likely will put a timney 510 trigger in it.

I'm looking at stockys brand stocks and bottom metal (www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-brand/stockys-) which I've heard nothing but good things about.

I'm also looking to get my first nightforce scope. I'm looking for a used one in the 3-18 or 4-16 magnification range, but still have some homework and shopping to do. I want to keep it under 2k!

Let me know what you guys think, Interesred in thoughts and opinions as well as any advice.

For starters, ever one is going to give you their own opinion on what they would do. That includes changing things you are dead set on.
The best advice I have is to not cut corners on things that matter. Like barrels, stocks, triggers, magazines and scopes. Not saying you need to buy the absolute best of each or that your $2k budget is not enough but if $50 or $100 gets you something genuinely better, don't hesitate. Also balance your needs verses wants see what you will really be using it for.

so far your parts seem pretty solid. I think you have a pretty good handle on it.

Having said that, 6.5x284 is probably a bit much for varmits one the barrel life isn't great. Shooting lighter bullets will help with this. It is however well suited for the other tasks you have planned.

Last edited:
If you're interested in an excel spreadsheet I built that will help you to put everything you need on paper to plot out your build, PM me your e-mail address and I'll get it sent out. It will help you calculate everything from ancillary equipment you might want to total costs involved, and total weight of your completed rifle.

Just throw all the parts you have in your yard for the birds to sit on and buy a Barrett MRAD.

Last edited:
Good luck sir, you are in for some tough decisions.. I would take a hard look at Bartlein, Kreiger, maybe Hawk Hill for your barrel. Also, don't skimp too much on your optic as they are one of the most important pieces of the puzzle, along with the barrel, stock and chamber job..

Thanks guys, there is a lot to consider. If I could justify and afford a barret, I would have one haha. I'm looking for a Nightforce and have found a couple 4x14 SHVs for sale. Any thoughts on where these stand compared to Leopold? I've looked through the VX3 and mark 4s before. Recently I got to shoot with a Burris XTR 2 5x25, where does it stand in comparison?