• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building the girlfriend a 10/22

bruno86

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
Hick Town PA
Im building my girl a 10/22. I just ordered the hot pink/gray stock from volquartsen. Does anyone have experience with their laminate stocks? I want to get her a light barrel as well, any suggestions? Also, anything else I should look for when building this rifle?

Re: Building the girlfriend a 10/22

I'd search around on here (special search engine link below). The primary question is what do you want to do with it? Target/paper punching? Varmint hunting? Pest removal?

The answer to that question will help guide you to what barrel length/type, cost considerations, optics, etc. that you will need/want.

When I built my 10/22 I wanted it to be a kick-ass squirrel gun so I got a B&C stock, aftermarket trigger group, 16" Tac-Sol barrel and a low power scope. Once I saw the performance I've upgraded the optics and the idea has turned more towards a kick-ass long range (relatively speaking) squirrel gun AND paper puncher. It all depends on what you want.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

If you're looking for a light barrel check out Volquartsen's carbon fiber sleeved THM barrel. I used a 16" one for the 10/22 I built for my girlfriend and it shoots lights out. As far as 10/22's go anything Volquartsen or Kidd is going to be good but will cost a little more.

When I was building this rifle weight and accuracy were mainly what I was focusing on. So far everyone that has shot this thing has commented that it felt like a toy because it's so damn light. Most of the weight on the front is from the bipod.

Dunno what your plans are in terms of a receiver but if you were planning on buying an aftermarket receiver getting a barreled receiver could save you some frustration and might be cheaper to buy as a bundle.

During this build I found Volquartsen slightly oversizes the shank on their barrels so that they fit tight into the receivers to reduce barrel droop and of course Tactical Solutions also likes to undersize the bore in the X-ring receiver so I had a hell of a time getting the barrel on.
One tip I have for this is putting the barrel in the freezer and if you need to you can heat the receiver up in the oven (not too hot 220 degrees or so). This helps quite a bit on getting the barrel in there but once its in its not going anywhere so make sure you prep and mark the barrel for proper clocking to line up the extractor/extractor groove.

Here is a picture of her rifle and specs for reference. You'll notice its on the ironing board because its her rifle and I wanted to make sure she could find it.
s1022.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Specs</span></span>
Tactical Solutions X-Ring Receiver
Volquartsen THM Carbon Fiber Sleeved Barrel 16" w/o muzzle device
McMillan/Volquartsen Sporter Stock
Volquartsen TG2000 Trigger
Rimfiretechnologies adjustable v-block (the one that came with the receiver would not fit with the barrel and stock)
Seekins MH Rings
Vortex PST 6-24 FFP
Harris 6-9 swivel bipod
Weight As Shown with magazine 7.5lbs
Wight w/o bipod 6.5lbs

for 10/22 stuff VQ makes some good stuff. I'd suggest getting the hammer no need to get the whole trigger group unless going Kidd. For mods, barrel there is whistlepig barrels they are light weight. Power custom scope base is nice not much money either. oh, almost forgot, Randy at cpc does bolt mods cool stuff there.

just my .02

Sota