• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet annealing

scpaul

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2014
central..... S.C.
I want to make copper bullets open quicker. Would annealing the tip (only) back to the ogive of the bullet cause quicker upset? If I anneal the whole bullet it would cause barrel leading a lot quicker, wouldn't it?
Thanks, scpaul, been gone a while due to health, hope that I'm back for a long while.

I don't have either on this rifle. It's a .338 Win. that I bought years ago, before the .338 was a long range/sniper round. I could get regular lead tip bullets for it then that weighed less than 200 gr. Barnes has some light .338 bullets but I'm afraid that they would over penetrate our small/mid size deer. I'm looking forward to seeing what it does to a wild hog with a 200 or so gr. cup/core bullet.
Thanks scpaul

Lucky for you a 338 win is still not a long range sniper round.

Why not just buy bullets designed for what you intend to do? 338 win is a hunting round and I’m sure there’s bullets designed to do what you want for it.

You’ll likely get over penetration with that caliber regardless of what you do. But you’ll definitely get over fragmentation doing what your trying to accomplish

1676433918735.jpeg

I have everything that I need to load the .338 except the bullets. I realize that the .338 win. isn't a long range round, but the manufacturers are making the majority of .338 bullets for the new .338 calibers that are long range rounds. They usually are long and heavy. I'm pretty sure that a bullet over 200 gr. isn't going to open on our deer. How about a .338/7mm sabot round? I'm joking, before somebody thinks I'm serious.

I have everything that I need to load the .338 except the bullets. I realize that the .338 win. isn't a long range round, but the manufacturers are making the majority of .338 bullets for the new .338 calibers that are long range rounds. They usually are long and heavy. I'm pretty sure that a bullet over 200 gr. isn't going to open on our deer. How about a .338/7mm sabot round? I'm joking, before somebody thinks I'm serious.

So get a 160gr TTSX and run it at medium speed.

So get a 160gr TTSX and run it at medium speed.
That's what I'm thinking. I did some testing on the very first copper "X" bullets, before the grooves. I really didn't like the performance. I've tried copper 1 time since and again was disappointed. Our deer aren't very large. A 200 lb buck is about state news. That's why I'm concerned about getting copper to open up reliably. What size are your deer and would the ttsx open on a neck shot. I have a lot of heavy cover close (S.C. low country) by and don't want them to go very far, 100 yds. max.
I went back and looked at Nosler bullets and I don't know how I missed the 180 gr. bullet (accubond?). I will be looking around to find some. Thanks to both of you, Paul

There is plenty of bullets suitable for your needs.
If you are set on using solids check out the Tubb Nosering tool, but that's more for long range use.
I would highly recommend using a bullet for hunting.

Small deer get head shots with an AR….

Honestly though, any hunting bullet with blow holes in the lungs.

Why neck shoot and ruin that meat?

Small deer get head shots with an AR….

Honestly though, any hunting bullet with blow holes in the lungs.

Why neck shoot and ruin that meat?
If we take lung shots we don't usually get a very large exit wound, small deer. We also have a lot of very heavy cover, briars, swamp, etc. that makes recovery a little tough sometimes. We aren't that far from the Savannah river. We are in it's swamps and small tributaries. I personally am not that wild about eastern diamondbacks, moccasins and copperheads of which we have a few. Neck shots don't usually mess up that much meat. I do like head shots when feasible.

SD on a .338 bullet is high based on what bullets type of game its used on. You mention "if I anneal the enire bullet wouldn't it cause the barrel to lead"..

Copper bullets don't leave any lead as there 100% copper. Based on your hunting area, go buy a .30-30 or .35 remington

SD on a .338 bullet is high based on what bullets type of game its used on. You mention "if I anneal the enire bullet wouldn't it cause the barrel to lead"..

Copper bullets don't leave any lead as there 100% copper. Based on your hunting area, go buy a .30-30 or .35 remington
I worded it wrong when I said "lead", I should have said copper, oops. I've got several different ctg/caliber rifles. I just would like to hunt with one of my rifles that I've never used. It was such a deal that I just couldn't turn that beautiful thing down. It has the prettiest wood that I've ever seen on a factory stock.