Bullet length variation

trilogymac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2007
TX
I was loading a ladder with different bullet depths and had to grab another box of bullets. They were .025 different than the first box using a Sinclair comparator. Is this much variation common?

They were 178 AMAX.
One box was in the old packaging and one in the new.

Thanks,
Trilogymac

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    Re: Bullet length variation

That seems like quite a bit of ogive variation. One time in a box of 168 SMKs, I had a couple of bullets that were that far from the norm, but it was only about 2 out of 500.

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Sep 7, 2009
    Montana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was loading a ladder with different bullet depths and had to grab another box of bullets. They were .025 different than the first box using a Sinclair comparator. Is this much variation common?

They were 178 AMAX.
    One box was in the old packaging and one in the new.

Thanks,
    Trilogymac </div></div>

I just went through this with 208 Amax's. Same: old/new packaging. Definitely different shape.

John

Victor N TN

Retired civilian fart
    Minuteman
    Feb 16, 2002
    Knoxville TN

If it were Sierras I would just accept it as that. They have a track record for setting up 6 different machines dumping into the same bin. Other makers usually don't run out that much.

samnev

First Sargeant
    Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ

I ran into the same problem with 168 grain SMK's. Max overall length varied by 0.030". Most however were within 0.005". One would think for what they charge they would do a better job controlling the runout.