• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet stuck in AR

fokai_zach

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2011
ca, USA
Hi guys

last weekend I had a bunch of stuck cases in my AR. Today I loaded a mag and chambered the rounds. 8 of 10 were stuck so I had to hold the charging handle and slam the butt of the stock on the ground. I loaded the same ammo and repeated the process with my SPR with no problems extracting. I switched the BCG of the two, and had same problems with the same AR. The SPR still worked fine with the diffrent BCG. please help.

Re: Bullet stuck in AR

Tried small base dies? When my LR308 started doing the same thing I had to start using one when resizing. It cured the problem.

Never tried a small base die.. I full length resize with the custom hordany dies, and then trim to 1.750

are you full length sizing? and how close are you to the lands of the rifling, it sound like the bullet is sticking in the rifling, did the bullets have rifling marks on them, try seating a little deeper and try it again.

just my .02

i see you were typing at the same time i was, so full lenght sizing, try seating the bullet deeper

if it is still sticking, try a little shorter, if i load to fit my mag in my Colt, it sticks just slightly, but not enough for me to have to bang the charging handle to get them out

I checked again with the COAL from the hard to eject and the easier to eject and they are both within 2.200". I did notice that the primers have a slight dimple on them as if it was struck by the firing pin. Not sure where that is from. probably from slamming the stock on the floor to release the stuck round or releasing the charging handle to chamber the next round?!

How is your FL sizing die adjusted in your press?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is your FL sizing die adjusted in your press?

</div></div>

This would be the next thing to check, excellent advice pupdawg..

1. Raise the press ram to highest position without camming over.
2. Thread the full-length die into the press until the base touches the shell holder head.
3. Tighten the lock ring against the press
4. Adjust the expander/decap assembly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Raise the press ram to highest position without camming over.
2. Thread the full-length die into the press until the base touches the shell holder head.
4. Adjust the expander/decap assembly. </div></div>

I assume when you say the "bullet" you mean the cartridge and not the projectile - need to be specific unless you want bad advice.
You need to screw the die in the press a little more. You are most likely not re-sizing the cases sufficiently. AR's extract under pressure and the cases can come out of the gun larger than the chamber, and if they are not re-sized sufficiently they will stick like crazy in a chamber and give you a very bad day. Touching the shell holder is not good enough with the die in most cases as there is flexion in the press and press linkage especially when under the back pressure of re-sizing. The cartridges may chamber in one rifle but not another because the head space of the two guns is slightly different.

Screw the die down in the press a little more, make 10 dummy rounds from that brass and cycle them manually to see if that resolves things.

Sorry I meant cartridge.

but as a test I loaded mag with some ammo and pulled charging handle to the rear of the rifle. 8 of 10 were stuck and the other two ejected. I used the same ammo on my spr and they ejected easily. non was fired. I guess I am going to pull the projectiles from the brass and run it though the die that will be screwed down a little more. damn, that is about 250 rounds I gotta pull apart

look to see if you are buckling the case shoulder, i was doing that when i first started reloading for my .308

the reason that they will work in one rifle and not another isnt the BCG, its the size of the chamber.

here is a pic of a buckled shoulder, altho, i suspect rcw3 is right, you are not sizing them enough

buckled shoulder scanned from my lee die set instructions
IMG.jpg

with a body die, no need to pull the bullets, you can size loaded ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with a body die, no need to pull the bullets, you can size loaded ammo </div></div>

ummmm..... I wouldn't do it with any of my family members in rooms above me..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Raise the press ram to highest position without camming over.
4. Adjust the expander/decap assembly. </div></div>

...Screw the die down in the press a little more, make 10 dummy rounds from that brass and cycle them manually to see if that resolves things.
</div></div>

This.

Base of the die touching the shell holder with the press ram UP.

Turn IN the FL die a quarter turn to start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with a body die, no need to pull the bullets, you can size loaded ammo </div></div>

ummmm..... I wouldn't do it with any of my family members in rooms above me.......... </div></div>

Not sure why. Nothing will strike the primer and a solid metal object is about the bullet with no barrel to direct the force of propellant even if it went off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I meant cartridge.

but as a test I loaded mag with some ammo and pulled charging handle to the rear of the rifle. 8 of 10 were stuck and the other two ejected. I used the same ammo on my spr and they ejected easily. non was fired. I guess I am going to pull the projectiles from the brass and run it though the die that will be screwed down a little more. damn, that is about 250 rounds I gotta pull apart </div></div>

On our website we have an info page with info on reloading for AR's - some of this may be helpful - some may not - here's the link to it:

http://www.6mmar.com/Info_Page.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with a body die, no need to pull the bullets, you can size loaded ammo </div></div>

NOT THIS.

Pull the bullets or just fire them.

What happens IF a primer decides to pop for no reason other than tough shit when you ram that press all the way up? Things might get shitty quick.

Buy a LE Wilson gauge and and RCBS precision mic/MO gauge. Use them to make headspace gauges, measure your chamber, then check the outer dimensions of your sized cases. Use a quality die and press to size 0.003" less than your chamber measurement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with a body die, no need to pull the bullets, you can size loaded ammo </div></div>

NOT THIS.

Pull the bullets or just fire them.

What happens IF a primer decides to pop for no reason other than tough shit when you ram that press all the way up? Things might get shitty quick. </div></div>

Something to think about - I am not sure that yanking a loaded round apart with a press operated bullet puller (like a collet type puller) is not more dangerous than using a body die to marginally resize the body of a loaded round and bump the head space a slight bit more. A body die leaves the loaded neck and projectile completely alone and if a round did go off there is nothing to confine the pressure (bullet would just pop out of the mouth of the case) whereas if it went off when the projectile was captured in a collet puller something would have to blow and rupture. Smokeless powder does need some real confinement to build up pressure like it does in the chamber.

I have experienced setting the seating die too low and mashing the case shoulder down with the crimping ring. Put a sized case in the shell holder, lower the die until it touches the case, then back off a full turn and lock the die. This is per the RCBS instructions, works every time. Good luck...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with a body die, no need to pull the bullets, you can size loaded ammo </div></div>

ummmm..... I wouldn't do it with any of my family members in rooms above me.......... </div></div>

Not sure why. Nothing will strike the primer and a solid metal object is about the bullet with no barrel to direct the force of propellant even if it went off. </div></div>

Maybe with your wife and kids, not with mine.............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with a body die, no need to pull the bullets, you can size loaded ammo </div></div>

Not sure why. Nothing will strike the primer and a solid metal object is about the bullet with no barrel to direct the force of propellant even if it went off. </div></div>

Maybe with your wife and kids, not with mine............. </div></div>

It's your family and you can do what you want. But science is on my side here. I remember when I was a rookie firemen how everybody was scared of houses with ammo stored in them. Then studies came out and simple fact is that a loaded round going off outside the chamber of a rifle will not penetrate bunker gear and will at best break the skin and leave shrapnel in the subcutaneous layers of the skin if it goes off with-in 6 inches of an individual. And hell I've had a primer go off in an uncharged round using a kinetic bullet puller. It scared the hell out of me but no harm done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Then studies came out and simple fact is that a loaded round going off outside the chamber of a rifle will not penetrate bunker gear and will at best break the skin and leave shrapnel in the subcutaneous layers of the skin if it goes off with-in 6 inches of an individual. </div></div>

The body die would act as a chamber and I don't know about yours, but my body die is open on the top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Then studies came out and simple fact is that a loaded round going off outside the chamber of a rifle will not penetrate bunker gear and will at best break the skin and leave shrapnel in the subcutaneous layers of the skin if it goes off with-in 6 inches of an individual. </div></div>

The body die would act as a chamber and I don't know about yours, but my body die is open on the top. </div></div>

A chamber with no barrel does nothing.

Ok so I yanked 10 rounds resized them and put the ammo together. I manualy charged and ejected the ammo and it cycled fine. I dont want to pull apart 300+ ammo, so while using the body die method and sizing loaded ammo, do I just remove the decaper and resize them or is there a special die for that.

my father told me that without both barrel and chamber the ammo will not act like a n actual bullet. when my brother and I were kids, we took some of my dads bullets and through them in a fire. it just popped, no whistles by our heads or anything serious. scared the neighbors though

Well I said fuck it and gave it a try.. I took out decaper and resized the loaded ammunition. loaded it in mag and manually charged and ejected each one flawlessly.. thanks for the help guys and thank you George63 for the advice and everyone else backing him

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfoJAwlUopI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfoJAwlUopI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfoJAwlUopI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfoJAwlUopI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

key word: "UNRESTRAINED" !!!!

The cartridges are not in chambers in said campfire. Common sense, people. Put a loaded round in a body die (RESTRAINED in a make shift chamber) and then throw it in the campfire. Have your next of kin let me know how that worked out for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1wV3lmbSv4

how much different do you think it would be if the "barrel" was cut off at the end of the round?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A chamber with no barrel does nothing. </div></div>

Put a round in a revolver cylinder (chamber) and hit the primer, what do you think is going to happen to the bullet ??? Do you honestly think it is just going to dribble out the top ????

I did not say not to do it. I simply said I would not do it with my family members in rooms above me and now I have to make three more posts and link to idiots on youtube to prove a point...

DAMN!!!! I got a loaded ammo stuck in my die. I called Hordany and they said they dont know what to do

Throw it in a fire and stand back. (not really)

I had to pull apart 300 rounds once when I was beginning because I applied too much taper crimp (had the seating die set too low) and bulged the shoulder like mentioned up above. I could barely feel the die hitting the case neck and I could not see the bulge - nothing at all like the picture posted above. But still, it was enough to jam the cartridges in the chamber. That was 30+ years ago and I have never crimped a bottleneck case since, even for the M1A.

And BTW, I used a kinetic bullet puller to pull the rounds apart. Darwin was a friend of mine.

Me? I'd order two new tools - a kinetic puller and a new sizing die because I'm throwing the other one away. Consider yourself lucky. Body parts are usually on back-order.

ETA: Quickdraw posted while I was typing, but we obviously think alike.

<span style="font-size: 14pt">They don't know what to do equals "we want nothing to do with this matter"</span>

Stop loading. Go back to remedial level loading. Get a mentor and this book:

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">Handloading for Competition</span></span>, by Glenn Zediker. Its the loader's scripture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ETA: Quickdraw posted while I was typing, but we obviously think alike. </div></div>

I was boasting with "I told you so this and that...", but I thought I would refrain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfoJAwlUopI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfoJAwlUopI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

The cartridges are not in chambers in said campfire. Common sense, people. Put a loaded round in a body die (RESTRAINED in a make shift chamber) and then throw it in the campfire. Have your next of kin let me know how that worked out for you.

how much different do you think it would be if the "barrel" was cut off at the end of the round?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A chamber with no barrel does nothing. </div></div>

Put a round in a revolver cylinder (chamber) and hit the primer, what do you think is going to happen to the bullet ??? Do you honestly think it is just going to dribble out the top ????

I did not say not to do it. I simply said I would not do it with my family members in rooms above me and now I have to make three more posts and link to idiots on youtube to prove a point... </div></div>

No you still did not prove your point. The idiots on myth busters threw a bunch of ammo into a 1000 degree fire and then it exploded. Which did the EXACT thing I said it would do. Here we are talking about a single round in a body sizing die that has NOTHING to set off the primer or ignite the powder. In fact there is a nice hole under the primer when loaded in a press. Now lets cover what would happen if a round did go off in a body die.

1) Powder ignited by act of god
2) Pressure builds and the body die acts a chamber for ONLY the case wall. Not the shoulder or neck.
3) As the pressure builds it will take the path of least resistance. Thus dislodging the bullet and in the process blowing out the shoulder and expanding the neck (same as fire forming)
4) As soon as the bullet exits the neck of the case all the pressure becomes undirected and again follows the path of least resistance thus no longer pushing the bullet. Thus the bullet flies almost no where with any significant force.
5) End result you get a big muzzle flash, a bullet that goes at best a few feet with any significant force, and a probable trip to the ED for an MI because the scared the shit out of yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfoJAwlUopI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfoJAwlUopI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I did not say not to do it. I simply said I would not do it with my family members in rooms above me and now I have to make three more posts and link to idiots on youtube to prove a point... </div></div>

No you still did not prove your point. The idiots on myth busters threw a bunch of ammo into a 1000 degree fire and then it exploded. Which did the EXACT thing I said it would do. Here we are talking about a single round in a body sizing die that has NOTHING to set off the primer or ignite the powder. In fact there is a nice hole under the primer when loaded in a press. Now lets cover what would happen if a round did go off in a body die.

1) Powder ignited by act of god
2) Pressure builds and the body die acts a chamber for ONLY the case wall. Not the shoulder or neck.
3) As the pressure builds it will take the path of least resistance. Thus dislodging the bullet and in the process blowing out the shoulder and expanding the neck (same as fire forming)
4) As soon as the bullet exits the neck of the case all the pressure becomes undirected and again follows the path of least resistance thus no longer pushing the bullet. Thus the bullet flies almost no where with any significant force.
5) End result you get a big muzzle flash, a bullet that goes at best a few feet with any significant force, and a probable trip to the ED for an MI because the scared the shit out of yourself. </div></div>

Whatever, knock yourself out.

TO THE OP:
I can't help you with the stuck round in your die etc. However I CAN suggest a product that could possibly prevent these troubles with ammo in the future. JP Enterprises makes a case guage you can drop your finished loads into and it will verify that the round will chamber without trouble. I have one for 223 and one for 308. Once I load some rounds, I run them all through the guage before boxing them up. I can guage like 500 rounds in probably about 30 minutes. I bought mine from Brownells. There are other brands, but they only measure headspace length and still don't tell you if the round will actually fit a chamber. JP's guage is made using an actual chamber reamer.

Here's a link http://www.jprifles.com/1.5.1.2_maint.php

The only case gauge that guarantees your reloads fit in your chamber is your chamber. Case gauge will check shoulder set-back (help you set your die properly) and tell you when to trim. It would work for chamber size IF made by the same reamer your gun is made by. Of course, if it won't fit in the case gauge, it definitely won't fit your chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-size: 14pt">They don't know what to do equals "we want nothing to do with this matter"</span>

Stop loading. Go back to remedial level loading. Get a mentor and this book:

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">Handloading for Competition</span></span>, by Glenn Zediker. Its the loader's scripture. </div></div>

That is a great book. I've read it about 5 times over when I started out reloading.

Zediker really cuts to the chase, no BS. He says what is a waste of time and what makes a difference, that kind of stuff. I like that.

+1 on reading it more than once. I had to go through it twice just to put it all together in my head. It might be a bit much for a beginner, though.