• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullet stuck in barrel

clinto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Lubbock, TX
I have a bullet stuck in my 308 and cant get it out.

My dad reloads for 308 also but he loads to about 2.85 OAL, well mine measures about 2.78 to the lands. He tried to shoot some of his reloads in my gun and the bolt wouldnt close, so when he pulled the bolt back the bullet stayed in.

I have tried using a wooden dowel to knock it out with but its not budging. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: bullet stuck in barrel

use a brass or aluminum cleaning rod ... the rod is sacrificial ... go all Michael Jackson on it and beat it.

take your dad's gun until he figures out how to fix yours without damaging it.
wink.gif

geez... how hard did he slam the bolt, to wedge a bullet in the land hard enough that a wooden dowel from the muzzle end won't get it out... you did try from the muzzle end first right?

yes I was trying to knock it out from the muzzle end

nly205 that sounds like a good idea

I have a bore tech rod that is coated except for the end part that you screw the jags into, do yall think this would damage the rifling?

Go get a brass rod at the hardware store!They are only a few bucks, much cheaper than a destroying a cleaning rod!! it should just take a small tap to get it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go get a brass rod at the hardware store!They are only a few bucks, much cheaper than a destroying a cleaning rod!! it should just take a small tap to get it out.

</div></div>

Do this ^

Dont think you will damage the rifling, the barrel metal is harder than the materials of the bullet or the rod. Go to town and get that out.

FYI, this is why you shouldnt shoot handloads made for a diffrent rifle. Negligable diffrences arent so negligable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go get a brass rod at the hardware store!They are only a few bucks, much cheaper than a destroying a cleaning rod!! it should just take a small tap to get it out.

</div></div>

+1, dont ruin an expensive rod. and just make sure the threads are over the meplat and not between the ogive and barrel.

have you tried putting a small piece of metal/hard plastic on the end of your dowell and trying it? ie, brass or plastic coated thumbtack or something?

I have had that happen if I messed up and didn't powder the case and the primer fires, then drives the bullet a little way into the barrel. Often, just dropping the brass rod (.25inch by about a foot long) from the muzzle while the barrel faces skyward, is enough to drive it out.

I used the coated cleaning rod, I just taped up the metal end.
It took a couple pretty good taps, but it came out.
Thanks for the help guys.

Get a chunk of 1/4" brass stock at least a foot long. Stand rifle on butt end and drop the brass rod down the barrel. Make sure end is flat and smooth. Let the weight of the rod do the work. Using a threaded cleaning rod with mal end could deflect and wedge between barrel and bullet. Female end would possible wedge down over bullet tip. Don't screw yourself further by getting in a hurry or grabbing the first thing that 'looks like it should work'! For insurance you could dump some good copper removing bore cleaner down muzzle end first.

Edit to add.....Toooo late with my slow typing
smile.gif

</div></div>

Another vote for this.

Best option I can think of.

Whatever you do, DO NOT put that dowel rod back in your barrel.
If you start hammering on it, the bullet will split the dowel and wedge it in the bore.
Same as if it were an axe handle.
Then you will have a bullet and a dowel rod stuck in the barrel.

Otis kits are very good at getting stuck bullets out.
If you don't have one, go out and pick up a brass rod as previously suggested.

*EDIT*
Saw that you got it out.
I'll leave my post in case someone else is in need.

I once had a powderless (factory loaded) case lodge a 250gr SKM into my TRG42 just passed the lands. I grabbed the old M1A steel cleaning rod and tapped it out very carefully. In order to keep me centered I lined the female end of the rod with the tip of the bullet. The stuck little bastard popped out and the rifle escaped any damage that i could tell(no impact change or accuracy issues).I made sure to give the manufactured a piece of my mind. They game me another 40 round of .338 Lapua for free, needless to say I still have the boxes some where collection dust.

I have an old saying, "Someone elses reloads belong in someone elses gun."

I recently learned of a new method to remove a stuck bullet
crazy.gif
A fellow competitor at a recent comp. took a new round, removed the bullet and half the powder charge, then put the half full case in the chamber and closed the bolt. Pulled the trigger and got the round out. Probably don't advise you to do this, just though I would share.

tnichols, what a clever saying lol, ill be sure to pass it along to my dad

berm shooter, I actually thought about doing that exact thing, it was gonna be my last resort though. Sounds a bit risky.

Thats about the dumbest shit I have ever heard..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berm shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently learned of a new method to remove a stuck bullet
crazy.gif
A fellow competitor at a recent comp. took a new round, removed the bullet and half the powder charge, then put the half full case in the chamber and closed the bolt. Pulled the trigger and got the round out. Probably don't advise you to do this, just though I would share. </div></div>

For Gods sake, what in the world about THIS seemed like a good idea?

Originally Posted By: berm shooterI recently learned of a new method to remove a stuck bullet A fellow competitor at a recent comp. took a new round, removed the bullet and half the powder charge, then put the half full case in the chamber and closed the bolt. Pulled the trigger and got the round out. Probably don't advise you to do this, just though I would share.

You dont know? You save a NEW bullet, and get to re-use 22.3 grains of powder
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamescaan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For Gods sake, what in the world about THIS seemed like a good idea?

Originally Posted By: berm shooterI recently learned of a new method to remove a stuck bullet A fellow competitor at a recent comp. took a new round, removed the bullet and half the powder charge, then put the half full case in the chamber and closed the bolt. Pulled the trigger and got the round out. Probably don't advise you to do this, just though I would share.
</div></div>

haha I never said it was a good idea, alot of ideas pop in to my mind, most of them probably arent good. At least it was gonna be my last resort instead of my first resort.

for future reference here is what I do.

1- visually inspect to determine the location in the barrel the bullet is

2- take my trusty dremel and cut out a little door to the bullet

3- remove bullet

4- drill and tap barrel for hinge hardware to hinge the "door" previously removed

now you have the bullet out AND a conveniant bullet hatch in case another gets stuck there

VAJ punisher, that was the back up plan to my last resort haha

actually what I was gonna try next was to take the other 308 and allign the muzzles and try to shoot a bullet from one gun into the bore of the other. If I took the bolt out, I bet both bullets would just fly right on out, dont you think?

Joke by the way, we need a font for sarcasm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clinto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a bullet stuck in my 308 and cant get it out.

My dad reloads for 308 also but he loads to about 2.85 OAL, well <span style="color: #FF0000">mine measures about 2.78 to the lands</span>. He tried to shoot some of his reloads in my gun and the bolt wouldnt close, so when he pulled the bolt back the bullet stayed in.

I have tried using a wooden dowel to knock it out with but its not budging. Anyone have any suggestions? </div></div>

Wait a minute, Yours measure 2.78" to touching the lands??? With what projectile? That's pretty short. Isn't it?...

I always use a oak or a hickory dowel rod(pine is too soft)and give it a good lick, even drove squib round out of pistols using this method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wait a minute, Yours measure 2.78" to touching the lands??? With what projectile? That's pretty short. Isn't it?... </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing - SAAMI minimum is 2.80", isn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clinto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a bullet stuck in my 308 and cant get it out.

My dad reloads for 308 also but he loads to about 2.85 OAL, well mine measures about 2.78 to the lands. He tried to shoot some of his reloads in my gun and the bolt wouldnt close, so when he pulled the bolt back the bullet stayed in.

I have tried using a wooden dowel to knock it out with but its not budging. Anyone have any suggestions? </div></div>

Drop rod....?

I know....call me silly

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=33852/Product/Sinclair_Bullet_Drop_Rod_Set

I thought it seemed pretty short too, I measured it 15 times with the hornady lock n load oal gage and it averaged 2.783

It is a KMW 308 that I bought from a member here back in October.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamescaan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For Gods sake, what in the world about THIS seemed like a good idea?

</div></div>

Field expedient removal. We tried the brass rod and the Otis bullet remover, neither worked and the bullet was starting to mushroom. We measure carefully to ensure that the bullet would still soft seat into the case.

It was not my rifle, but it was my idea...it basically saved the competition for the guy. I will say that the dumping out of half the powder (another guys idea) was a GREAT idea. There was still an enormous amout of presure since the bullet did not leave the case as presure built.

Oh, and the rifle still shot itty bitty groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here ....hold my beer,& watch this </div></div>

That was exactly what I thought when I saw that posting about putting a case half full of powder in behind the bullet, and trying to shoot the bullet out.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

1. Burst barrel
2. Blown up action
3. Re-arranged body parts
4. "Oh Shit! I'm sorry, are you OK? (most common of the drinking apologies)
5. Maybe about a one in 50 chance it would work out as planned.

I'll wait until Bubba and his pals show us the video of how it worked out. I think it will be similar to the guy on youtube shooting a 50 cal Browning rifle at a steel plate 100 yards away..the bullet came back and knocked his ear muffs off. He said something like "Jeez, we aren't doing that again!"
No shit...do 'ya think?

Enough people have had good luck with dropping the 1 foot long piece of quarter inch brass rod down the upright muzzle that I think you have a winner there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clinto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I already got it out </div></div>

Well stick it again cause I vote for this. This thread needs a poll....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for future reference here is what I do.

1- visually inspect to determine the location in the barrel the bullet is

2- take my trusty dremel and cut out a little door to the bullet

3- remove bullet

4- drill and tap barrel for hinge hardware to hinge the "door" previously removed

now you have the bullet out AND a conveniant bullet hatch in case another gets stuck there </div></div>

This seems to be happening more and more often....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here ....hold my beer,& watch this </div></div>

That was exactly what I thought when I saw that posting about putting a case half full of powder in behind the bullet, and trying to shoot the bullet out.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

1. Burst barrel
2. Blown up action
3. Re-arranged body parts
4. "Oh Shit! I'm sorry, are you OK? (most common of the drinking apologies)
5. Maybe about a one in 50 chance it would work out as planned.

I'll wait until Bubba and his pals show us the video of how it worked out. I think it will be similar to the guy on youtube shooting a 50 cal Browning rifle at a steel plate 100 yards away..the bullet came back and knocked his ear muffs off. He said something like "Jeez, we aren't doing that again!"
No shit...do 'ya think?

Enough people have had good luck with dropping the 1 foot long piece of quarter inch brass rod down the upright muzzle that I think you have a winner there. </div></div>

And yet it worked
laugh.gif
Appearantly you did not read the post right above yours.

1. We knew this was a possibility
2. We were not worried about this, it was an AW.
3. The rifle was held on the other side of a large tree and fired...just in case.
4. See 3.
5. People soft seat bullets all the time. We measured to ensure the bullet would seat before attempting this.

Sorry, no video.

We did the tapping it out from the muzzle end and it did not work.

Don't try this at home if you don't understand how it works.

Don't try this at home if you don't understand how it works.

[/quote]

There is an understatement I'll have to agree with.

You would have been way better off with a full charge. Using half charges can lead to high pressures, low pressures, totally inconsistent and unpredictable. Scary. Glad you got it out ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would have been way better off with a full charge. Using half charges can lead to high pressures, low pressures, totally inconsistent and unpredictable. Scary. Glad you got it out ok. </div></div>

+1, I have done it before
blush.gif
in the field miles away from truck and cleaning rods. A friends bullets are soft seated in a 30-06, 165 grain interlocks. Well, one stuck when he unchambered a round. after much deliberation, we very carefully pulled another bullet from another cartridge, and very carefully chambered it without spilling any powder.
Rifle fired as normal, chamber clear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berm shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently learned of a new method to remove a stuck bullet
crazy.gif
A fellow competitor at a recent comp. took a new round, removed the bullet and half the powder charge, then put the half full case in the chamber and closed the bolt. Pulled the trigger and got the round out. Probably don't advise you to do this, just though I would share.</div></div>

This is irresponsible on several levels. That shooter endangered everyone around him.