• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bullet trace

Jurek1911

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2006
Hi,

I am looking for a photo showing rifle bullet trace. I would like to explain in my book (about ballistics for snipers) the idea of sight correction based on spotting the bullet trace. I would appreciate any hints where to find such a picture. I don't have enough experience with photography to do such a photo by myself.

Best regards,

Jurek

Re: Bullet trace

Do a search on you tube.

I've seen a couple of videos that showed the path of the bullet, from the shooters perspective, if thats what your looking for.

In principle, yes. The problem is that all videos that I have seen are of such low quality that screen shots show nothing. One must see the whole air movement to spot the trace. I thing that with longer exposition of "normal" photo it would be possible to see the trace.

Regards,

Jurek

I know this is going to sounds stupid but when I came to my sniper section this is how trace was explained to me. You ever seen The Matrix? That movie pretty much hits trace dead on. Sorry but I've never seen any good vids of trace. When do you need this info by? I had to make a three part ballistics presentation awhile back and I'm sure I have it laying around somewhere.

Best videos of trace I've seen were on the military channel during the top sniper show. They caught it clearer then I've ever seen in video and better then I generally see it at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best videos of trace I've seen were on the military channel during the top sniper show. They caught it clearer then I've ever seen in video and better then I generally see it at the range. </div></div>

+1, also on the new show "modern sniper" its on Wednesday night's every night is a different sniper force, last week was army this week is marine scout snipers.

If you're including the photo in your book, please be careful about copyright infringement. PM me if you have any questions regarding that.

I doubt there are many good pictures of it, having looked for it for a week while acting as spotter in a class, after seeing it on video on top sniper (yes I did see it) its amazing they captured it so well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntinaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best videos of trace I've seen were on the military channel during the top sniper show. They caught it clearer then I've ever seen in video and better then I generally see it at the range. </div></div>

+1, also on the new show "modern sniper" its on Wednesday night's every night is a different sniper force, last week was army this week is marine scout snipers. </div></div>

+1 on that.

If it helps any how i see bullet trace is i spot for someone shooting set my spotting scope on 20x i focus on the target behind and to the right.I then(and heres the important part)turn my spotting scope a quarter way out of focus to the left....I still have a pretty good view of the target and bullet trace stands out pretty well.......just my .02

With today's high def camera's focused correctly you should be able to get it.

If the snow mellows out I will try it with my new camera, I should be able to get it, but I am not going out in the snow for a few seconds of footage... cold is not my bag.

There are some elements of footage i have with trace in it, but when you encode it for stuff like You Tube it really takes a hit in quality to show the trace because the encoding throws in a bunch of artifacts that cover it up...the television doesn't have that problem cause they are not stepping it down as far.

It's definitely doable, but it would have to be short so you can crank up the resolution so when you knock it back down it is still visible to a satisfactory degree.

^ pussy

grin.gif

Trace is not really something you can capture in a still shot. You have to look for the change in the background image (light bending differently) to see it. It doesn't leave a con trail or anything like that to still photo.

I know a guy from the International Sniper Comp at Benning that got some good video on a large HD camera. PM me if you want his contact info. He may be willing to part with it, but it doesn't seem like even the best video will do a book much good.

Your best bet will be illustrating it (somewhat abstractly) with some type of an artist’s rendition.

With the raw footage in its complete unedited form on my computer the trace is very visible... my new camera is a higher end model, between Pro & Prosumer but definitely in the better bracket for what I am doing. it shoots native 1080p and is not interlaced or stepped up, I can step it down, but the chip is a 3 CCD HD chipset.

Getting trace is easy, in fact at Rifles Only when the sun is right you can see the bullet flying through the air with your naked eye... pistols & rifles equally, when you hit the short range in the late afternoon the bullets are very visible.

But I can capture video of trace, just encoding it to be visible on the net is the main hurdle.

Have not tried it myself just talking off the top of my head but maybe a small smokey fire like a piece of tire and shoot through the smoke may just give a higher contrast for a picture. Just a thought

Cory, thanks for sharing the video with us. I enjoyed it. I always wanted to video the "bullet trace", but just never had the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the raw footage in its complete unedited form on my computer the trace is very visible... my new camera is a higher end model, between Pro & Prosumer but definitely in the better bracket for what I am doing. it shoots native 1080p and is not interlaced or stepped up, I can step it down, but the chip is a 3 CCD HD chipset.</div></div>

Lowlight, what VideoCam is that? I've been looking for one that shot 1080p, but couldn't find one. I ended up with a Sony CMOS VidCam that had excellent performance in..."lowlight" harharhar!

Putting the raw AVCHD file up on the computer doesn't look real good with the interlacing artifacts showing...but on a edited and authored on a HighDef TV it's spectacular.

Oh year...it think it will be pretty hard to show the "ripple" of the trace in a still shot. In high def video...it should be no problem...Did you know that YouTube supports HiDef now?

Ouch...that would eat up my entire "toy" budget for 2010!

I have the Sony CX500V, which I suppose suits my need (pocket sized, image stabilized, low light and IR capable (for my "hunting" videos)...though I lust for a bigger cam with bigger sensors.

Nice camera. I love Panasonic products. I went the cheap route for HD and got the HDC-HS250. The 120 GB hard drive comes in handy for recording media and SD chips as well. Probably should have went with the HS300 though for the view finder. Still for $600 you get full 1080p, 3x 1/4.1" CMOS sensors, Leica Dicomar lens and the ability to record about 16 hrs of full hi-res HD on the 120 GB hard drive. Not bad.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=1871&N=4294548093+4291296566+4294194757

hey will this do?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qc99SiKqoJo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qc99SiKqoJo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Td3VXD--GmU&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Td3VXD--GmU&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

These are all video, shooting +/- 1/30th of a second. Why not try a camera, crank it down to 50 ISO (will any of the new bodies do 25?), throw on a few stops worth of neutral density filters and on a dim, overcast day you should be able to get nearly a second of exposure @ f/25 and a stop of overexposure. Sure it will be a bit soft with that tiny little aperture but this isn't a portrait we're talking about. Shouldn't take too many tries with a partner, remote shutter release, and a countdown to get the shot you want. Just make sure you use a damn steady tripod/ballhead and a suppressor to minimize muzzleblast. Some nice tall (dark) pines or something in the background should help, too.

Hi,

Thank you for all hints. I think that it is not possible to see the bullet on single frame taken from video. So probably the only way is to make a picture with long time of exposure. I will probably have to try this. Anyway if you find or make something like this I would appreciate to get a copy. Of course it will be properly referenced in my book. I plan to finish the manuscript in April so still there is a time for changes.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Go to Military Channel on demand and look for Fort Benning sniper comp. They had some awsome trace shots while shootin movers. It is also in HD

I'd posted this one up a while back:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bullet Trace</span>

If you keep your eye just above the target you'll see the light glint off the bullet as it drops in...I was pretty satisfied for one take.

Here is one of my videos that you can see the trace good.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>