• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report BulletFlight App for the iPhone

rcamuglia

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
Nuevo Mexico
Howdy,

I've been using BulletFlight for about 3 years now and not had any issues. My iPhone broke and I replaced it, installed BulletFlight with the backup.

Now the program will not save the BC info that is input by hand or any G1 from the bullet library. Simply setting up the rifle profile then surfing around the phone, then returning to the profile results in the BC randomly changing.

Any rifle profile that uses a Brian Litz G7 BC from bullet library does not change, only imported G1 or manually input BC's.

I have a buddy who says the same issue has happened to him when loading the program on other devices.

I've been in contact with Robert Silvers, the developer of the App, and he has no answer and cannot duplicate the problem on his devices.

Has anyone had this problem?

Re: BulletFlight App for the iPhone

I use to use Bullet Flight on my iPhone but changed to Ballistic FTE. I did so for a couple of reasons. First Ballistic FTE has better features, IMO and second, the support is second to none. When Apple put out OS 5 there was an issue with the program shutting down every time you tried to select MRAD. I sent Jonathan Zdziarski an email regarding this and he answered right back that a fix was pending approval. If there is new data, improvements, or fixes, Jonathan is on top of it and does not sit on updates. Here's the link: http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/

I bought Ballistic FTE too. I like the fact you can change output to mRad for windage and elevation in MOA.

So far I've just input my data for my profiles from BulletFlight into FTE and he output is close

Any chance this will become available for droid? I found this question in the faq, but no answer. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gvanhyning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use to use Bullet Flight on my iPhone but changed to Ballistic FTE. I did so for a couple of reasons. First Ballistic FTE has better features, IMO and second, the support is second to none......

Here's the link: http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/</div></div>
I take a big exception to that!!

Yes FTE is richer in features - though it does not have a very important (to me at least) capability of telling me the complete data for my specific distance: you have to either interpolate from the range card ("Trajectory" in FTE lingo), or be satisfied by the HUD (or generate a huge unusable card with 1m step increment).

But I find support of FTE absolutely abysmal - in 99.9% of the cases Jonathan won't even dignify you with an answer or acknowledgement, let alone a fix. As an example - please explain how come that wind input on a "supported second to none" FTE is still backwards (and in disagreement with FTE's own FAQ) despite multiple reports by many users for several months at least.

On my iTouch I keep & run both, as they have non-overlapping strengths and weaknesses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcamuglia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now the program will not save the BC info that is input by hand or any G1 from the bullet library. Simply setting up the rifle profile then surfing around the phone, then returning to the profile results in the BC randomly changing.

Any rifle profile that uses a Brian Litz G7 BC from bullet library does not change, only imported G1 or manually input BC's. </div></div>
I can understand how Robert can't replicate it: Bullet Flight on my equipment lived through OS updates from 4.1 to 4.3.5 on my experimental iPhone 3GS (also through the equipment crash and a complete re-flash/reinstall - this device was used hard) and from 4.1 through 5.0 to 5.0.1 on iTouch 4 - always worked without a hitch. I often change profiles and add new ones, and occasionally modify BC. Always smooth as castor oil.

As somebody who dealt with computers quite bit, I can only suggest a complete re-flash of the device, as it looks like something in your particular setup got screwed and it isn't feasible to diagnose it remotely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcamuglia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy who says the same issue has happened to him when loading the program on other devices.</div></div>
What other devices? And what did Robert say to your buddy (as unlike Jonathan, Robert usually answers in one or two days)?

Jonathan has replied to every mail I've sent concerning a newbie with the program. I think it will be great when I get comfortable using it.

I have:

Completely deleted BulletFlight from my phone and iTunes then reloaded it.

Completely restored my phone as well.

BulletFlight still fails. My friend had the same problem when installing BulletFlight on additional devices. He never talked to Robert. He thought it was some kind of anti piracy defense. I talked with Robert and he says the software has no such defense.

It just doesn't work on the phone. I do believe that it probably is the specific device being f'd up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcamuglia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jonathan has replied to every mail I've sent concerning a newbie with the program.</div></div>
Lucky you! Out of multiple questions and bug reports I had exactly two replies in the course of 1.5 years. Others I know had similar luck (if not worse). So you can be proud!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcamuglia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it will be great when I get comfortable using it.</div></div>
Shouldn't take you long. IMHO Bullet Flight does several things better, but FTE is good stuff - no question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcamuglia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have:

Completely deleted BulletFlight from my phone and iTunes then reloaded it.

Completely restored my phone as well.

BulletFlight still fails.......

It just doesn't work on the phone. I do believe that it probably is the specific device being f'd up
</div></div>
I'm at loss regarding the cause of the problem. The only thing I might ask - how you're restoring the phone. Did you provision a new phone and installed applications you had in iTunes a-fresh, or did you restore from a backup image that iTunes keeps for the entire phone? If it's the 2nd case - perhaps the image is damaged...? I know I'm grasping at straws...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcamuglia</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My friend had the same problem when installing BulletFlight on additional devices. He never talked to Robert. He thought it was some kind of anti piracy defense. I talked with Robert and he says the software has no such defense.
</div></div>
No there are no anti-piracy countermeasures, and I've installed Bullet Flight on two devices without a problem (iPhone 3GS and iTouch 4). What kind of device is your friend using? And what kind of iPhone do you use (and what version of OS)?

The problem first started when I needed to replace my iPhone. It was the base model 3G. I got the 3GS and downloaded the backup to it. My friend tried to install the program to an iPod touch and had the same issue.

Ballistic FTE looks ok. I set up all of my rifle profiles on it with the same data from their sceens on BulletFlight. Ballistic FTE 's output is close but not exact. I'm sure it's due to not having the Brian Litz G7 numbers that BulletFlight has in its library. I've tried to use the G7 function on FTE but the output is still wrong. The calculation it performs from the bullet's G1 is not accurate.

I like its features and the ability to have output for drop in MOA and windage in mRad.

About the "image" being damaged:

I had that thought as well. I completely deleted BulletFlight from iTunes and "repurchased" it. (you don't have to pay again, it just downloads a new version)

No workie

Also, I don't think you can (or should) restore the backup from 3G to 3GS. It seems that re-initializing the phone and installing the apps through iTunes is much safer. And as I said, I ran it on both iTouch 4 and iPhone 3GS without any problem. Now I'm running it only on iTouch (got rid of 3GS).

Also, I input my stepped G7 BC (taken from Bryan Litz book) for <span style="text-decoration: underline">all</span> the bullets I use. I don't use or rely on the libraries either in Bullet Flight or in FTE. Less convenient, but way more accurate, and does provide for hits with the 1st shot (when the shooter is up to it
smile.gif
).

Re. "image damaged": I meant the entire backup that you have, not the individual application(s).

Re. "re-purchasing": this won't help if the system backup image is corrupt or wrong (and I don't think it's "kosher" to restore a 3G system image on 3GS).

When I got the new phone I connected it to iTunes. I'm sure it recognized it as what it was; a new 3GS phone. I didn't restore it from a 3G backup, just installed the backed up apps from iTunes

I give up. Can't fathom the reason an app that ran on your 3G and on my 3GS refuses to run correctly on your 3GS.

On a parting note - could it be something in the saved data that iTunes preserves, like profiles or whatever...?

Ha! Don't feel bad, both Robert Silvers and I gave up too!

He sent me my money back.

Like I said, I completely deleted BulletFlight from all of the devices, re-purchased it clean, and put all of the profiles in by hand again so, no, the profiles weren't saved by iTunes and re-installed. It still malfunctioned.

Probably the phone. I just posted this question to see if anyone else has had the problem that both my friend and I have had.