• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Burr in the neck of my chamber

wbeard

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Ohio
I think I have a small burr in the neck of my 325WSM's chamber. It's leaving a light scratch that kind of curves from right to left up the neck as you look at the case from above/behind. Is this anything worth worrying about? Is it a major fix?

thanks,
Will

Re: Burr in the neck of my chamber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I have a small burr in the neck of my 325WSM's chamber. It's leaving a light scratch that kind of curves from right to left up the neck as you look at the case from above/behind. Is this anything worth worrying about? Is it a major fix?

thanks,
Will </div></div>

You might get some lapping compound and take it out if its a butt. I just gat a barrel from a major man. and it had spot on the brass below the shoulder. Looked like the brass was splitting.
I looked closer and there was a small tool mark. ended up being a bad reamer. had to get a new barrel which they are currently building. If it looks like a scratch there might be a burr or something in barrel, if its flowing out it is material missing in the chamber area.
New barrel used? any there a couple of things to look for hope that helps and good luck

Is it possible the scratch is occurring during the extraction/ejection process. I would start here, then have the chamber borescoped if needed.

+ 1 73 fastback, try removing the empty slow after firing and with your fingers hold the case from being ejected by the ejector when opening the bolt and look at the case. thought i had the same thing going on with my new rifle turned out it was only a heavy ejector spring.

Great stuff to look at thanks for the inputs

Smith took a look. Seems to just be a burr back behind the chamber so it's actully just scratching during ejection...easy fix.