• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Burris and Steiner thermals

GoTheDistance

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2017
SD
Does anyone have insight into why Burris/Steiner has discontinued there thermal lineups?

Can you share anything on timeline? Similar price point?

The items I'm aware of are similarly priced, tough to say where pricing will land in this market. Burris's MO has always been value based pricing.

Not sure on the timeliness for release. I saw some items some time ago, so my money is on its close.

What I've seen looks pretty bad ass. Completely redesigned and improved.

The items I'm aware of are similarly priced, tough to say where pricing will land in this market. Burris's MO has always been value based pricing.

Not sure on the timeliness for release. I saw some items some time ago, so my money is on its close.

What I've seen looks pretty bad ass. Completely redesigned and improved.
Did Burris every have a 640 core? If they don’t have a 640 core I won’t be as excited. Maybe Steiner will do that though?

Reactions: GoTheDistance
I have no imput on unreleased products but have a Burris scanner and did have a Steiner S35 briefly.

For the money, the scanner works well. I use it for a loaner or let whoever is accompaning me hunting use it so they are literally not just sitting in the dark.

The S35 was a letdown. But to be honest it turned out to have had issues so I returned it.

For me thermal turned out to be a buy once cry once endeavor.
Ended up spending twice as much but much happier with my current setup.

I have no imput on unreleased products but have a Burris scanner and did have a Steiner S35 briefly.

For the money, the scanner works well. I use it for a loaner or let whoever is accompaning me hunting use it so they are literally not just sitting in the dark.

The S35 was a letdown. But to be honest it turned out to have had issues so I returned it.

For me thermal turned out to be a buy once cry once endeavor.
Ended up spending twice as much but much happier with my current setup.
Moral of story, skip Steiner.

Reactions: BgBmBoo
I was very interested in the Steiner clip on until I saw info stating the sensor was chinese made. Wouldn't be surprised if they had issues with quality and obtaining parts in the last few years. I hope they move in the right direction seeing as I own two of their scopes and wouldn't like the brand to deteriorate into an empty worthless shell of its former self.

I was very interested in the Steiner clip on until I saw info stating the sensor was chinese made. Wouldn't be surprised if they had issues with quality and obtaining parts in the last few years. I hope they move in the right direction seeing as I own two of their scopes and wouldn't like the brand to deteriorate into an empty worthless shell of its former self.
Steiner came into the thermal game to late with overpriced rebranded chyna thermals.
Steiner still makes other great products, so they'll be around for a long time.

SJC

Reactions: BgBmBoo and joe777
Steiner was overpriced? Are there other 640 thermals that were $2000?
MSRP on the C35 was originally like 4 or 5K.
It was only when they were about to be discontinued that the price started heading toward $2K.
I got mine from DRT. I think it was sub $2500 after rebate.

MSRP and street price were totally different for Steiner. Street price floated around $4000 when it came out and plummeted. But even at $4k, what other 640 clip ons made the Steiner overpriced?

Reactions: jwramp
Steiner came into the thermal game to late with overpriced rebranded chyna thermals.
Steiner still makes other great products, so they'll be around for a long time.

SJC

Right. I can't complain about my p4xi, great eye box and picks up light real well.

California allows thermals? Guess governor Nuisance hasn't gotten the memo yet.
If you read the relevant law's text, it seems like whomever wrote it had spent more time watching Predator than investigating what actual I^2 & thermal weapon sights actually existed and what features they have... to quote CPC 468:
Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime
So an active IR illuminator is required and the telescope has to be electronic. So thermal clip-on's and dedicated thermal scopes as well as NV clip-on's without the presence of any integral or accessory illuminator (and since they're talking about possession being a violation it's probably a good idea to not even have an IR illuminator with you) are totally fine. NV clip-on's with a day scope and an illuminator are pretty questionable but since the telescope, which gets the canonical definition which includes a specification for >1x magnification and thus can't be classed as the NV clip-on itself, is not electronic. Dedicated NV, while in possession of an infrared illuminator, could probably be a violation but without any illuminator you're golden.

It's especially funny to me that they call it a "sniperscope" because, that not being an actual word with any broadly agreed upon definition, forced them to define the term and their own definition then rendered what could have been a very onerous ordinance which could have easily kept me from owning all the NV and thermal that I do into a toothless nothing burger.

• Haha
Reactions: Glassaholic
If you read the relevant law's text, it seems like whomever wrote it had spent more time watching Predator than investigating what actual I^2 & thermal weapon sights actually existed and what features they have... to quote CPC 468:

So an active IR illuminator is required and the telescope has to be electronic. So thermal clip-on's and dedicated thermal scopes as well as NV clip-on's without the presence of any integral or accessory illuminator (and since they're talking about possession being a violation it's probably a good idea to not even have an IR illuminator with you) are totally fine. NV clip-on's with a day scope and an illuminator are pretty questionable but since the telescope, which gets the canonical definition which includes a specification for >1x magnification and thus can't be classed as the NV clip-on itself, is not electronic. Dedicated NV, while in possession of an infrared illuminator, could probably be a violation but without any illuminator you're golden.

It's especially funny to me that they call it a "sniperscope" because, that not being an actual word with any broadly agreed upon definition, forced them to define the term and their own definition then rendered what could have been a very onerous ordinance which could have easily kept me from owning all the NV and thermal that I do into a toothless nothing burger.
They get all their information from Hollywood movies, including thermal able to see through brick walls, heck, it can’t even see through glass. It’s pretty clear the morons who are writing these laws have no clue what actually exists. Colorado’s 15 round magazine ban was written poorly as well and you could go to a specialty shop and buy 30 round standard capacity magazines without issue.

Reactions: BgBmBoo
Saw these new Burris thermal V2 models yesterday:

Reactions: rlsmith1