• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR iii, how are they doing?

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    There is very little information about them from what I can find here and on YouTube. I found an older thread back when they were announced but not a lot of people had time behind them.

Are they performing well?
    How do they compare to the Mk5? Are they worth the extra cost over a DMR ii? I’m thinking in the 3-18 range specifically.
    Is the reticle to thin for hunting use here and there?

They're kinda in an odd price point that makes other better known and established models a safer bet.

I haven't seen anything on them either, I think they pushed the price a bit higher than what the typical Burris buyer is willing to pay.

I like mine more than my XTR2, but I don't have a lot to compare it to. Hopefully after all this blows over ill be able to meet up with some guys and compare it to higher end scopes.

There is very little information about them from what I can find here and on YouTube. I found an older thread back when they were announced but not a lot of people had time behind them.

How do they compare to the Mk5? Are they worth the extra cost over a DMR ii? I’m thinking in the 3-18 range specifically.

Search function is your friend.

I would start with this thread. There are many more.

HTH

Reactions: Redfisher60
    Search function is your friend.

I would start with this thread. There are many more.

HTH

Outside of that thread and a few others there is not much info out there. I haven't seen any info on these on any other forum either.
    Theres almost more reviews out there for the new Vortex Strike Eagle than the XTR3 thats been out for months.

Either not many folk are buying them or they aren't posting reviews.
    Im positive its a great scope but a few more reviews and comparisons would be nice.

I just spoke to one of the fellas at Burris on Monday. I have a national PRS match I'm directing in a couple weeks and Burris is the sponsor.

While we were in the phone, the subject of XTR3 sales came up, and they are doing very well. There were a couple bugs initially that have been quickly ironed out and they are performing well. I see FB posts about them and another forum or two I watch gets some feedback. Here on the Hide if a poster makes a thread about a $1500 to $2000 scope, they are directed to the Gen II Razor, NF NX8, or MK5. Pretty much anything but the Burris. It's going to take time for folks to catch on that the Burris is as good as those scopes.

WJM308 posted an incredibly in depth review on the 3.3-18x head to head against the 20x NX8. He concluded the Burris was the best buy in the sub 2k price point versus the NF, the 18x MK5, and various other similarly priced optics that he has owned or reviewed.

But folks here continue to send buyers elsewhere. So feedback here on the Hide is going to be slim.

Last edited:
    Ive been shooting mine for 3 years now. Granted I was asked to help with ideas that "avg shooters" want/need in a scope. I dont work for Burris I just live nearby the factory and they found me from shooting matches with some of the employees.

The scope has been rock solid and competes with all the scopes I own except for my TT and my March. I just recently sold my Gen2 Vortex as it wasn being used anymore. Even though my only complaint for that scope was the locking knobs I accidentally locked allt he time when dialing.

I have heard of ZERO failures of this scope and the only issue early on was a few 3-18's got sent out with sub par almost blurry glass. Both times Ive heard of this the replacement has been phenominal glass wise.

Buy with confidence in a nearly 100% American made scope. EVERYTHING sans the glass is made in Greeley Colorado. I was told Burris is laywering up to put it all over the box but who knows. Lib lawyers ruined this country.

GL man.

TWINS.jpg

Out shooting with my son and his rifle. He really wants to shoot a match but cant carry a ifle yet...soon ha.

Here is another great review. This scope is really a hidden gem. I have no idea why it hasn't taken off better. People wrongly ASSume because its Burris its sub par. Couldn't be more wrong.

GL!
    DT

There is this thread as well.

I havent been running them as long as Dorgan, but I am up to four of them now. Three of the 30x and one 18x, and they are all fantastic scopes. I've compared to everything I can find on many occasions. Multiple Gen II Razors, MK5s, and NX8s. Toss in a couple AMGs, USOs, various Bushnells, a Cronus, etc. I've seen a lot of head to head comparisons. I would love to catch up to a new Tract Toric and Delta Stryker but I have yet to see one in the wild. Bottom line it competes very well or flat out surpasses everything in its price point. Its nicer than nearly every MK5 I've looked through. An opinion shared by everyone who participated in the comparison. Nicer eyebox, better FOV, sometimes very close on glass, on a couple the Burris was better. It's a much nicer scope than the NX8. No glass distortion issues in the Burris, a MUCH nicer eyebox, parallax, depth of view.

I honestly think it's going to be just like the XTRII when it comes to popularity. It will see very little love here on the Hide, but amongst the rank and file scope buyers out there it will be very popular.

I have a 5-30. It is very nice. I sold my mk5 because of the h59 reticle, but the glass was very similar. I liked the mk5 turrets better. Neither are as nice as the minox I shoot often.
    The scr2 is a little too small at 15x but completely usable. I run higher mag most of the time anyway. I liked it enough that I will pick up a 3-18 as well. I think you are hard pressed to find a better scope in the price range.

Reactions: Birddog6424
    I have a 5-30 I've had for about 2 months. No complaints at all. Glass is very comparable to my Kahles 6-24. During a practice session with some buddies, we lined up a Razor Gen 2, a 5-25 Mk5, and the Burris. Target was at 1185 with a waterline. The Burris and Mk5 were hand in hand in resolution, with the Razor coming in 3rd. The Razor and Leupold had a similar FOV with the Burris having a larger FOV than either of the other two. This was the consensus of 5 experienced shooters repeatedly looking through the optics for an extended amount of time.
    Overall, I'd put the Burris on top because of the large FOV. I also wouldn't be opposed to running a Mk5 or Razor Gen 2(which I have in the past), as each has their own strengths and weaknesses.
    Turret feel between the 3 is subjective imo. I like the functionality of the Mk5 the best, Burris 2nd, and Razor 3rd. Feel wise of the turrets, Razor and Mk5 tied with Burris a close 3rd.
    Leupold needs an updated reticle for precision rifle. The SCR2 and Ebr7c are both well thought out and very functional.
    Vortex needs to put the Razor on a diet. I still like a reasonably weighted scope, even if rifles are going heavy these days.
    The Burris checks the boxes which sets it apart from the other two. If I had to knock the Burris, it would be the lack of illumination offered right now. Leupold is in the same boat. I've never used illumination in a match, so its a moot point really.
    Throw any of the optics mentioned on your rifle and you have no excuses of not performing in a match. However, if I was building another rifle for competition right now, the Burris would get the nod in that price range.

After selling some, and checking them out while setting up scopes with levers/levels, I've got one on a personal rifle. I think the glass is similar to a Razor Gen II, the reticle is nice,and the weight is much lighter.

Give me a shout if you'd like to chat more...I've got a bunch of the 3-18x models.

@LJT88 I bought @wjm308 ’s XTR3 3-18x50 after he finished his review. I am fortunate to be able to do side by side comparisons to Nightforce NX8 2.5-20, NXS 3.5-15, ATACR 4-16x42, Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25, Vortex Razor 5-20 and Vortex Razor Gen 2 3-18. Out of all of them I prefer the XTR 3. I think it’s glass clarity, brightness, field of view, weight and reticle set it apart IMHO. The ATACR is a very nice scope and was my second out of the group. While I like NF reticles (Mil-C Mil-R is what I have) I preferred the SCR-2 in the XTR3. I think what won me over was how easy the XTR3 is to get behind, it’s field of view and how Burris improved the glass compared to their XTR2 line. As for how it is holding up? Well, in my case it’s put in a Tahoe for long hours multiple days during the week and bumps around a decent amount while being in a soft rifle case. When I pull it out to shoot it’s been holding zero and tracks consistently when dialing. Hope this helps

Last edited:
    I just received my 3-18 xtr3 today and so far I am really impressed! awesome glass, great turrets and a stout construction!
    I was about to get the leupold mark 5 but found the xtr3 about $500 cheaper New so I went that route.

I recently sold my XTR3, but only because I bought a ZCO for the rifle it was on. I also own ATACRs, a ZP5 and a Mark 5 and a few other nice optics. Other than the ZCO and the ZP5, the XTR3 is as good or slightly better than the rest of them and it's not far behind the ZP5 at a significantly lower price point than any of the others. I would describe it as ATACR quality at an Athlon price point.

I bought one off hide, expect to review it next week. Will compare to ZP5, Kahles 6-24, March, and Razor G2. Has anyone compared to Steiner T5xi?

I agree a lot of people are hesitant to spend thiskind of money on something that says Burris on it. They should have used the Steiner brand.

I had a Steiner T5Xi for a short time. While I have not been able to put the XTR3 side by side the T5Xi, I am pretty confident you will find the XTR3 optically better.

Reactions: D_TROS
    I had a Steiner T5Xi for a short time. While I have not been able to put the XTR3 side by side the T5Xi, I am pretty confident you will find the XTR3 optically better.

this is interesting. can a 5 year old design of the t5xi have that much of an edge over the XTR iii that captures the latest and greatest?

I bought one off hide, expect to review it next week. Will compare to ZP5, Kahles 6-24, March, and Razor G2. Has anyone compared to Steiner T5xi?

I agree a lot of people are hesitant to spend thiskind of money on something that says Burris on it. They should have used the Steiner brand.

Steiner has their own scope lines. The M7 is their baby at the moment, among other things.

There's nothing wrong with Burris stepping up their game into a solid mid-tier optic. I think as evidenced by some of the feedback on this thread, they've accomplished that. It may take time for it to settle in that Burris has arrived with a very competitive scope at this price point, but it's already starting to sink in.

This is a good scope. It will win people over. It's already started.

Do you not feel the H59 works for precision?

It's too busy, very cluttered.

I ran one in PRS for 2 years. Its overkill with moving target hashmarks and flash milling marks. Those things make sense for the military, they are just clutter in PRS.

The SCR2 is a big improvement over the Horus. Far more open and functional.

Reactions: rydah
    If cost wasn't a factor, would you take an xtriii 5-30 or an atacr 7-35? For prs style shooting

Honestly, if a guy was filthy rich and simply wanted the absolute best with no thought to brand loyalty, in my mind that would be the Tangent Theta or ZCO. Those are my two favorite alpha glass scopes.

I like the ATACR. Glass is excellent, CA is nonexistent in any I have looked through, and the turrets are always nice. It does seem like a tighter eyebox, and "tunnel'ish" after becoming accustomed to the XTR3. And the Burris is a little brighter. But the NF is excellent, a proven optic.

But I'm the guy that shot PRS for 5 years with an XTR2, And i dealt with a LOT of hard to see targets. As in hard for everyone to see. So believe me when I say, there is no target in PRS that you won't be able to find and hit with an XTR3. Unless everyone else with every other scope on the market cant find it and hit it either.

Last edited:
    Thank you. I've got a 18x on order now. Im really excited to give it a try and see how it compares to my atacr. I'm expecting both to have qualities that the other doesn't. 5 years with the xtrii??

Yeh, I started with a 5-25 with a G2B reticle when they hit the market. Reticles and glass have made steady improvements over the years.

The 4-20 H591s were actually well up to the task of any PRS match. Especially the ones made in the last couple years.

For me. I think Burris has a marketing brand problem. While the XTRIII compares to other high end optics... at the end of day. It’s still a Burris...and at XTRIII prices. I’d rather have a used NF or Leupy...it just doesn’t have the pedigree of other optics...again. This is my opinion on why it didn’t cross my mind to even look at the XTRIII when I bought some optics this last three months.

For me. I think Burris has a marketing brand problem. While the XTRIII compares to other high end optics... at the end of day. It’s still a Burris...and at XTRIII prices. I’d rather have a used NF or Leupy...it just doesn’t have the pedigree of other optics...again. This is my opinion on why it didn’t cross my mind to even look at the XTRIII when I bought some optics this last three months.

I think that's a very honest analysis. I agree with it. We see it play out a couple times a week right here on the Hide. Everyone recommends the Gen II Razor and MK5. Even the NX8..

But we are already seeing posters say they like the Burris better than the MK5. A couple right here in this thread. I know two scope snobs who dished off their MK5s for XTR3s on their Trainer rifles, they both shoot ZCO on their match rifles, but like the Burris better than the Leupy.

It's going to take time and feedback. The Burris will never win over many here on the Hide simply because it says Burris on the side, and this is, well, the Hide. No matter how nice a scope it is. But it will do pretty well out there in the rest of the world where there is a little less brand fixation and a little more emphasis on bang for your buck.

I’m not a brand snob. But when I think of Burris. I don’t think high quality. I think of the 1-4 MTAC...I’ll never get near close to any solid on resale value on a Burris either. As I said. They have a branding issue more than anything...which sucks. Because the XTRIII could/is a winner...wrong price bracket.

I’m not a brand snob. But when I think of Burris. I don’t think high quality. I think of the 1-4 MTAC...I’ll never get near close to any solid on resale value on a Burris either. As I said. They have a branding issue more than anything...which sucks. Because the XTRIII could/is a winner...wrong price bracket.

Haha, the 1-4 MTAC was my first 3 Gun scope. Man that seems like so long ago.

Hopefully the XTR3 is the first step in elevating their public image.

Reactions: thehun
    Hopefully...but it won't be long before they go on EE for $700-800ish...just like all Burris...they tank on the used market.

Again...wroooong price point...if it was $999 new...I might have tried one...at $1400-1700...I'll take something with some pedigree...

I think this is the same preconception people have with Vortex and their budget scopes versus the Razors.

On paper the XTR III seems to check all of the boxes and the XTR II has a good reliability track record but people are hesitant with the price point. This is probably why Lexus and Acura exist to differentiate as "luxury" brands.

Reactions: ken226
    I think this is the same preconception people have with Vortex and their budget scopes versus the Razors.

On paper the XTR III seems to check all of the boxes and the XTR II has a good reliability track record but people are hesitant with the price point. This is probably why Lexus and Acura exist to differentiate as "luxury" brands.

Yeah I think you are correct. As I said above...the price point on the XTR3 is not market accurate with others available at that price with known track record both civilian and .gov.

I've had optics fail from all brands...it happens...Trijicon has been the biggest let down for me...literally every product I bought the last 3-4 years have had some quality issue with it...I am done with them.

The XTRII has a well known track record for durability. It's as durable as any scope on the market, with any pedigreed name written on the side of it. At any price. And it's a Burris.

So maybe what could really be happening here, is some folks such as yourself are missing out on a great scope because it doesnt have the proper pedigree.

I have to tell you, I know you claimed above that you aren't a brand snob, but in reading your posts, I may beg to differ..

People who aren't brand snobs are willing to acknowledge and purchase a good scope, regardless of what name is on the box. By your own admission, that clearly isnt you... ;)

It's all good though brother. I completely agree with the accuracy of your statements that it will take time to win people over at this price point. But I do believe a good scope will do that.

Reactions: Chasing3
    I just said the XTRIII is probably good optic...part of my decision is I change optics quite a bit. Resale on Burris optics suck...they tank fast after the initial hype...it has always happened and been that way with the Burris brand. In this industry pedigree counts.

I’m not willing to gamble $1500 of my money then when it comes to sell it..I’ll get maybe $800 or less if I don’t like it...you honestly think that on the used market someone would pick a Burris priced at $1200 used vs a Nightforce NXS, Razor or Leupy Mk5 Mk6 at $1200-1300...no chance.

If you read my posts (outside of this thread) I highly actually recommend a Bushnell LRTS over a Nightforce SHV/NXS...for the money...there is hardly a better optic out there...especially at CameralandNY prices.

Funny...people complain about a scope (XTR2) because the glass was sub par (which is right in the price bracket mentioned above oh and btw sell for pretty darn close to retail all day) so Burris responds with a scope with all the features AND good glass and more trolls come out of the wood work to complain about the price....LOL.

This may come as a surprise, but upgrades cost $$$. Ill gladly pay not only for those upgrades...but most important to me MADE IN AMERICA.

Both cost $$$. Shocker.

I own both the NXS and LRTS...neither one scratches the surface of this scope. Not even close. No chance.

Multiple (pretty much across the board) reviews attest to the scopes being legit. That's what matters. You will see more of these on the firing line.

Now back on topic, this thread is worthless w/o pics. Shot the NRL Borderwars this weekend. Was an awesome weekend. Took 4th out of 50 shooters.

Had a bad stage cost me dearly. shooting off the top of a rock I threw done 2 MFC bags to flatten it out as much as possible to rotate between the 3 targets. As soon as I throw down my mag hits the rock and the shit show started lol. I couldn't get solid for the top targets and barely hit the close one a couple times. Stage description was to shoot one at a time until you get 10 hits or time runs out. You have to hit the close target to transition to the far 2 targets. 1 shot per on the far ones. Uggggghhhhh. Almost everyone else in the squad got 7-10 hits. I was 5 pts behind 1st place. Note to self, get a low pro mag. I love the 12 round MDT mags, best mag by far available, but it is a little long which hurts on some barricades.

2020 cameo 3.PNG

PS if ur wondering what the sticker says... I am fully sponsored by American Rifle Series and I totally got the sticker for free!! hahah. It says "I am the super squad"

Regards
    DT

Attachments

• 2020 cameo 1.jpg
      2020 cameo 1.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 137
    • 2020 cameo 2.PNG
      2020 cameo 2.PNG
      5.3 MB · Views: 170
    I don't think anyone is bashing the XTRIII as a product...I know I am not...I am just stating why they might be struggling to gain traction with it at the price they are asking and why it didn't/doesn't get picked up on people's radar as their next optic...if that is bashing it...than so be it....I guess...

Some people would buy a piece of shit BMW 3 series and pay its ridiculous price for its name and "pedigree" when for 1/3 to 1/2 less they could have had a much higher quality, much more reliable, and with equal driving dynamics, Honda Accord.

Some people would buy a piece of shit BMW 3 series and pay its ridiculous price for its name and "pedigree" when for 1/3 to 1/2 less they could have had a much higher quality, much more reliable, and with equal driving dynamics, Honda Accord.
    LOOOOL...If you think the driving dynamics is the SAME in a Honda Accord to a BMW (actually own a BMW)...you clearly have no clue about what driving dynamics are (reliability also depends on each owner...I maintain my 20 year old BMW well and has been utterly reliable and I've seen Hondas fail due to poor upkeep...its all about how you maintain)...now my CBR1000RR has been more reliable than any other bike I've owned in the past...as well as my Honda lawnmower...but if I was a brand snob...I probably would be riding exotic bikes instead of a CBR huh? Clearly, I have no loyalty to a brand...I buy what works with the features I want...

Next you will tell me that the XTRIII is as good as my Schmidt Bender PMII Ultra Short....:eek:

Are Burris optic users brand snobs where they can't take reasonings as to why their optic doesn't get recognized as some other well-respected optics within the same price range?!? Appears to be so.

Truth be told, I am considering the XTR2 2-10X42 as my next 5.56 SPR optic...

Last edited:
    Surely this is not what the O.P meant by "how are they doing."

You couldn't pay me the drive a BMW, thats just me though. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    Truth. You couldn't pay me to drive a lot of things...thank goodness we have choices...

LOOOOL...If you think the driving dynamics is the SAME in a Honda Accord to a BMW (actually own a BMW)...you clearly have no clue about what driving dynamics ..

As a former Porsche owner, multiple PCA track day/HPDE veteran, and serious autocrosser, I understand driving dynamics far better than you might think.

I took home a 328i for a weekend in late February on a test drive. I couldn't wait to give it back on Monday. It handled well.....that was about it.

Actually did end up with a 2019 Accord Sport.

As a former Porsche owner, multiple PCA track day/HPDE veteran, and serious autocrosser, I understand driving dynamics far better than you might think.

I took home a 328i for a weekend in late February on a test drive. I couldn't wait to give it back on Monday. It handled well.....that was about it.

Actually did end up with a 2019 Accord Sport.
    Those Accord Sports are awesome...anyways we are getting off topic here...but good choice...hope you got it with a manual.

As far as BMW...they have toned down their stuff until you opt for Sport or M packages...

LOOOOL...If you think the driving dynamics is the SAME in a Honda Accord to a BMW (actually own a BMW)...you clearly have no clue about what driving dynamics are (reliability also depends on each owner...I maintain my 20 year old BMW well and has been utterly reliable and I've seen Hondas fail due to poor upkeep...its all about how you maintain)...now my CBR1000RR has been more reliable than any other bike I've owned in the past...as well as my Honda lawnmower...but if I was a brand snob...I probably would be riding exotic bikes instead of a CBR huh? Clearly, I have no loyalty to a brand...I buy what works with the features I want...

Next you will tell me that the XTRIII is as good as my Schmidt Bender PMII Ultra Short....:eek:

Are Burris optic users brand snobs where they can't take reasonings as to why their optic doesn't get recognized as some other well-respected optics within the same price range?!? Appears to be so.

Truth be told, I am considering the XTR2 2-10X42 as my next 5.56 SPR optic...

The 2-10 is definitely a sweet spot in the XTRII line up. That and the 4-20.

While I feel this is true, the rest of your posts sort of sound a little brand whoreish. Not in a negative way as we all have our preferences, but you plainly said you want a NF or Leupold because of its name recognition. I havent seen one yet, but if the reviews stack up, it doesnt sound like its in the wrong price bracket at all, if anyone it punches above what they sell for here on the 'hide already.

Reminds me of my Sig Tango6. Turrets arent quite as nice as the Razor 2's, but everything else is there - but it costs 600 dollar less in the buy and sell portion of the hide because its a Sig and not the Razor. The spread was about 400-500 new, so its not like you're losing your shirt, but still. Burris is sort of the same deal. Bushnell falls into this category a little. It has more rep than Burris or Sig, but not to Vortex standards... and forget NF or anything Leupold sells that starts with a Mark.

I think the question comes down to do you want performance for the dollar, or do you want resale? Admittedly sometimes I choose resale too.

While I feel this is true, the rest of your posts sort of sound a little brand whoreish. Not in a negative way as we all have our preferences, but you plainly said you want a NF or Leupold because of its name recognition. I havent seen one yet, but if the reviews stack up, it doesnt sound like its in the wrong price bracket at all, if anyone it punches above what they sell for here on the 'hide already.

Reminds me of my Sig Tango6. Turrets arent quite as nice as the Razor 2's, but everything else is there - but it costs 600 dollar less in the buy and sell portion of the hide because its a Sig and not the Razor. The spread was about 400-500 new, so its not like you're losing your shirt, but still. Burris is sort of the same deal. Bushnell falls into this category a little. It has more rep than Burris or Sig, but not to Vortex standards... and forget NF or anything Leupold sells that starts with a Mark.

I think the question comes down to do you want performance for the dollar, or do you want resale? Admittedly sometimes I choose resale too.
    Having pedigree and name recognition is totally different though. But I get what you are saying.