• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR Pro Illumination

B y r o n

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2004
Western Kentucky
So I recently received my XTR Pro with Tremor5 reticle. In looking at all the features of the scope I discovered that the illumination seemed to only work at 5 or 6 and above. I remembered reading something about the illumination be NV compatible so contacted Burris Customer Service, beside missing the zoom throw lever and battery.

The first response from Burris was send it back and they provided a RMA and shipping label. It would have been on its' way back to them except the local UPS drop off locations could not add insurance to the package because of the pre-paid shipping label. Besides that the nearest actual UPS CS location was 24 miles away and not open on Mondays.

I did some more research and ran across this information:

"Get Zone (website)

Burris XTR Pro 5.5-30×56: Optimized for PRS NRL Style Competition (article title)

May 2, 2022

The XTR Pro has all of the same on/off settings, two daytime settings, six low light settings, and the bottom three settings are for real low light/night vision type performance."

I added this information to my original CS request and waiting to hear back from Burris.

Have any of you XTR Pro owners had this same issue? As a side note my scope may have been an early build as it had an anodize zoom ring. Also, when illuminated, the Tremor5 seems to have a different illumination pattern. Only the mill dots marking seem to light up, none of the hash lines.

I'll update once I get a response back from Burris.

Can't give any scope info but from what I've read, adding insurance for shipping seems to be a waste of money since they make it very difficult to collect.

I'd rather have insurance, for the value of the item shipped, on a high value item that can get lost or be damaged instead of taking the $100 base coverage.

Did you check it in a dark room or in sunlight? Ina dark room I can barely see the reticle the first couple settings but can’t see them in the sun. Check that. If it’s dim then just have them send the throw lever and a battery.

Now what lights up in a tremor reticle that will be for them to answer as I have no idea.

Also if they send a prepaid label it’s usually insured as they are taking the liability of getting it returned. You just drop it off.

Did you check it in a dark room or in sunlight? Ina dark room I can barely see the reticle the first couple settings but can’t see them in the sun. Check that. If it’s dim then just have them send the throw lever and a battery.

Now what lights up in a tremor reticle that will be for them to answer as I have no idea.

Also if they send a prepaid label it’s usually insured as they are taking the liability of getting it returned. You just drop it off.

I actually took it into a closet to check it in total darkness, no change. I also checked it at night, which is no street lights to speak of and still no change.

With regard to the insurance, the local drop off locations were unable to verify what the insurance coverage was. Also, from Burris: "Please package your optic without accessories (mounts, rings, lens caps, etc...etc...), and make sure there's sufficient insulation to prevent any damage in transit. You may also want to add insurance to cover the value of your product." Why would they say that if they had paid for coverage to cover the cost of the scope?

Yeah send it back for a check if you want to be sure.

As for insurance that’s the first I saw that. Any time I ever sent something back to companies it was covered but if they say it then add it.

While I got a response and this is what they said:

"Hello Byron,

It sounds like your scope is in spec. The #4 setting is viewable although very dim. 1-3 are the night vision/very low light.
4-9 are the lowlight settings. 10&11 are daytime settings.
You can still send your scope in for evaluation, so we can verify it is within spec or perform repairs if necessary."

So based on this I'm not going to send it back for now, everything else about the scope seems fine.

Reactions: Rob01
Ok. I'm going to have to jump in here now. Can you actually see your reticle in daylight at the 10 and 11 settings? I have the SCR 2 reticle and daylight completely washes out the light. I can see it plainly in a blacked out room, but that's it. All the other settings are useless. And I did swap out several new batteries to check. This can't be normal.

Ok. I'm going to have to jump in here now. Can you actually see your reticle in daylight at the 10 and 11 settings? I have the SCR 2 reticle and daylight completely washes out the light. I can see it plainly in a blacked out room, but that's it. All the other settings are useless. And I did swap out several new batteries to check. This can't be normal.

Yes, during daylight I can see illumination at the 10 and 11 setting. In fact, I can actually see it down to 5 or 6 depending on background. I can not see illumination below 5 even in total darkness (night time or dark closet).

The illumination does sound correct.

Even daylight settings are hard to see in bright daylight. I can see mine against darker backdrops, cloudy, or low light early morning/evening scenarios. Also working as intended. It's a high magnification optic, not a CQB scope. It's simply there to help you see your reticle, which isn't an issue in daylight.

The scope would have been insured on its way back to Burris. If nothing else, it's warranty would have covered any damage. But you received a pre planned message they send to everyone.

Crazy that you got an anodized one. I wonder who's been sitting on that 🤣

It looks anodized to me:

DSC05871.JPG

Apparently I got the last one Camera Land had.