• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Burris XTR3i vs Vortex Razor LHT

wy_will

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2014
Wanting opinions on which is the better option. It is for a hunting rifle so weight is a factor, but so is durability and glass quality. Just want to hear some comparisons from people that have used both. Pros/Cons, etc. It will be on a 300PRC and used for up to 800 yards. Might stretch it to 1000 yards a few times.

Thank you for your responses.

Reactions: Kimbertop253
No experience with the Burris. I would give it a try.

I received two LHT’s, both defective out of the box. Both had bad dot intensity controller chips. The dot would flicker, or change intensity. Never even mounted them. Gave up after that. The rubber coated button was also a turn off.

I wanted to like the vortex. It was light, good glass and it said Razor on the box.

I have a 300 WSM that I have a similar use case for as you. I was faced with the same decision last year, and I put an XTR3i on it. My reasoning was, I wanted a 3x low power for potential close range encounters, and I wanted the little more sturdily built scope for durability. The daylight bright illumination wasn’t a make or break for me. I also got a $1000 off MAP cert for Burris last year at a match, so that pretty much sealed the deal

Reactions: wy_will
I have a 300 WSM that I have a similar use case for as you. I was faced with the same decision last year, and I put an XTR3i on it. My reasoning was, I wanted a 3x low power for potential close range encounters, and I wanted the little more sturdily built scope for durability. The daylight bright illumination wasn’t a make or break for me. I also got a $1000 off MAP cert for Burris last year at a match, so that pretty much sealed the deal
I can currently get 50 percent off of either. That’s why I’m thinking about these two scope specifically. Low power isn’t a big concern as I rarely take a shot under 300 yards.

I have 2 LHT 4.5-22s now I really like them. Glass is noticeably better than the XTR3 3.3-18 I had.

The illumination is the weak point with the LHT. One of mine works great the other is finicky. Sometimes it gets stuck ON and I have to unscrew the cap to turn it off. Not enough of an issue to send it in. I’ve even made kills at dark without it on 4.5x.

If you can live with that the rest is a really nice scope. Super light and small with just the right features for a hunting/ target scope. The reticle is really great too.

Reactions: DJL2 and wy_will
I like them both but keep in mind my comments relate to the older XTR III (non-illuminated model assembled in USA). LHT has meh turrets, they get the job done but wish they were better, Burris turrets more distinct but some QC issues had some scopes hard to turn and their knurling was knarly and felt like it was tearing up my hand, it is said that the illuminated version (now assembled in Philippines) has rectified these issues. Both have good reticles, neither are very usable at bottom magnification. If you want Zero Stop with Vortex you have to install a device which limits travel to 11.5 mrad which won't be an issue for your 300 PRC out to 1000, but just something to be aware of. Biggest difference (besides weight) is 3x vs. 4.5x on the bottom end, but as mentioned neither have a usable reticle at low mag so really only for FOV.

Wanting opinions on which is the better option. It is for a hunting rifle so weight is a factor, but so is durability and glass quality. Just want to hear some comparisons from people that have used both. Pros/Cons, etc. It will be on a 300PRC and used for up to 800 yards. Might stretch it to 1000 yards a few times.

Burris XTR-3i 5.5-30x56 SCR 2 MIL. I have one, amazing scope for the price. Glass is great, turrets are very positive and smooth, so is the parallax & mag rings. Parallax is also true, and not way off like some scopes. 👍🏼

Throw it in a set of ARC M-Brace 34mm rings, and you'll be good to go.

IMG_8875.jpeg

IMG_8859.jpeg

I have an XTR3i 3.3-18 (and an XTR Pro on the way later this week) and a couple of Razor LHT 4.5-22s.

I like both the XTR3i and LHT. The XTR3i is on a rifle where I don’t care much about the extra weight, and the LHT’s sit on rifles where I do care about the extra weight (lightweight hunting rifles.)

Both the LHT and XTR3i have pretty good glass and seem to be very comparable between my examples, and I rather like the reticles in both. The XTR3i has better feeling turrets and a more traditional rotary illumination knob. The LHT turrets are nothing to write home about in terms of feeling (the clicks are there but not super-tactile/prominent) but the elevation turret locks, the turret increments have good spacing so it’s very easy to read, it’s very low profile, has OK click feeling, and it tracks true-- for the intended use as a lightweight hunting and occasional crossover optic they’re plenty adequate for the job.

The LHT illumination button functionality is a bit on the odd side but it was done that way to save as much weight as possible. If you have issues with your illumination button not consistently turning on and off, try a couple different brands of batteries-- some brands are shaped a little bit different and that can make a big difference how well the illumination button responds and works since the rubber button is physically moving the battery against the contacts.

The XTR3i has a fast focus eyepiece where the LHT has a conventional rotating eyepiece with a lock ring (again, to save weight-- a one piece threaded ocular housing is lighter than a fast focus setup that needs both a fixed outer housing behind the mag ring plus the inner housing for the rotating fast focus adjuster.)

Keep in mind with the zero stop installed in the LHT you’re limited to 11 mils up from zero, but on a 300PRC that might be shot to 1000 occasionally being limited to 11 mils of elevation won’t be a problem.

My opinion is you can’t go wrong with either one. If you don’t mind a little extra weight the XTR3i does have more positive feeling turrets, more elevation travel, and a more traditional rotary illumination knob. If you want to save as much weight as possible but still have a very functional FFP hunting/crossover scope the LHT is hard to beat.

I do think it’s funny that for years people have been asking for a manufacturer to offer an FFP mid-magnification lightweight hunting scope with locking low profile elevation and capped windage, and when Vortex delivers exactly what was asked for people started complaining “it feels so light, I’m worried I might break it.” Can’t please everyone I guess, LOL

I have owned both. They are each different animals. I am now running XTR 3’s on both of my hunting rigs. I tried the LHT on a custom 7RM that I built with the goal of being lightweight, but it just didn’t suit my liking.
The XTR’s are much more robust with heavy turrets with positive clicks. The LHT’s turrets are smaller and a bit mushy. The Burris obviously weighs a noticeable amount more that the LHT, but I am willing to sacrifice weight here. The vortex glass is very good, In my opinion, just slightly better than the Burris. The burris has a little CA that is most noticeable when looking at a white target or snow, but I find it to be minimal and the glass overall on the Burris is worlds better than the XTR2 that I owned. I had trouble with the parallax adjustment on the LHT - it just never seemed to dial in correctly and the yardage wasn’t close to where it should be. I like the higher magnification scopes for those days when you are hiking in without a spotter. Sometimes I have found it useful in mule deer county for judging racks at long distance. The 56mm objective lets in quite a bit more light than the vortex 50mm, but the vortex is also much bigger and bulkier than the Vortex bit it feels like it will last longer and the turrets are solid.
Overall if you are looking to keep everything light and more compact for hunting the Vortex fits this niche well. It is a decent valued lightweight scope. However, if you are like me and enjoy shooting long range, rocks, varmints, and steel all the time. and you don’t mind hanging an extra 10-12 ounces on your rifle, then the Burris is probably your best choice.

I am a guy who normally doesn’t spend top dollar, but i want the best bang for my buck. Both of these scopes serve their intended purpose well. Before you make your purchase just understand that one is big and bulky and the other is not…Have fun with your new scope..

Reactions: YotaEer and wy_will
I have not owned an XTR3 but own a Vortex LHT 4.5-22. I agree with all the comments so far regarding the LHT. Glass is very good, if not excellent to my eye.

The depth of view is excellent, I find it quite insensitive to parallax adjustment - in the sense I set it to 100 and it is delivers acceptable focus and performance from 0-200. This is a desirable trait in a hunting rifle to me.

Turrets are not crisp, but the 6 mil per turn spacing means that they are more than sufficient - you’re never in doubt about your current dialed elevation. Windage turret sucks, reticle is good - just hold wind.

You will read some reviews that indicate it won’t hold zero if treated roughly. I believe much of this generated from one opinionated (and somewhat infamous) reviewer on Rokslide.

I use my scope on a Blaser R8 and its offsets are recorded across multiple calibres and loads. The optic spends 99% of its time off the rifle, so it’s return to zero is somewhat due to the excellent Blaser mounts - but nonetheless the scopes fundamental zero retention has never been an issue to me. It’s always tracked and comes back to zero every time is mounted and remounted to other barrels.

The illumination sucks, but it’s workable.

The scope is incomparable in its weight class. I would buy with confidence.

Glass used in the Razor LHTs were just average IMHO didn't WOW me at all considering their cost and definitely not worth their typical (regular) selling prices after comparing the to other brands of scopes even several that were made in China believe it or not. What the Vortex LHT scopes have going for them are their light weight and no questions asked NO BS Lifetime warranty including their electronics IE illuminated reticles and you can even trash them and abuse them and toss them onto the back of your pickup truck and if ever damaged you'll always get brand new replacements as long as Vortex remains in business and continue with their current customer service ethics.

The Burris XTR3 is a lot heavier and curious as to why this is the other option considered. It's more of a PRS type scope rather than hunting tool regarding it's reticle and weight.

I'd go with a Leupold VX5 HD ZL2 in either 3-15x or 4-20x with Firedot duplex for a hunting rifle at least they're a step up from the Vortex LHTs. If you have the urge to splurge wotha lot of cash burning a hole in your wallet then the 3-18x and 4-24x VX6 Firedot duplex includes the fancy aluminum flip up caps and slightly better glass than the VX5s. Specifically mentioned these Leupolds due to their lighter weight category.

Reactions: Lightning8
I'd go with a Leupold VX5 HD ZL2 in either 3-15x or 4-20x with Firedot duplex for a hunting rifle at least they're a step up from the Vortex LHTs. If you have the urge to splurge wotha lot of cash burning a hole in your wallet then the 3-18x and 4-24x VX6 Firedot duplex includes the fancy aluminum flip up caps and slightly better glass than the VX5s. Specifically mentioned these Leupolds due to their lighter weight category.
VX5HD all the way. Light weight, glass is crystal & bright AF. Turret features with the CDS are really nice.

Glass used in the Razor LHTs were just average IMHO didn't WOW me at all considering their cost and definitely not worth their typical (regular) selling prices after comparing the to other brands of scopes even several that were made in China believe it or not.
Different experience for me. LHT glass on par with other LOW designed scopes like the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18 series. For the price and being the lightest FFP scope out in it’s class I think you are getting what you pay for when you go through a Hide vendor with discounts. Turrets are meh but so are NF NX8 turrets, nothing special but get the job done. My biggest gripe is the mag range, if Vortex made it 3.5-18x50 or even 4-20x50 it’d be a lot more appealing.
The Burris XTR3 is a lot heavier and curious as to why this is the other option considered. It's more of a PRS type scope rather than hunting tool regarding it's reticle and weight.
I assumed the OP was looking at the XTR IIIi 3.3-18x50 and not the 5.5-30x56 but I could be mistaken. I do not consider the 3.3-18 to be a PRS scope per se but more a crossover FFP design under 30oz

Different experience for me. LHT glass on par with other LOW designed scopes like the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18 series. For the price and being the lightest FFP scope out in it’s class I think you are getting what you pay for when you go through a Hide vendor with discounts. Turrets are meh but so are NF NX8 turrets, nothing special but get the job done. My biggest gripe is the mag range, if Vortex made it 3.5-18x50 or even 4-20x50 it’d be a lot more appealing.

I assumed the OP was looking at the XTR IIIi 3.3-18x50 and not the 5.5-30x56 but I could be mistaken. I do not consider the 3.3-18 to be a PRS scope per se but more a crossover FFP design under 30oz
Definitely agree on a lower power variant of the LHT needed. Even a ~44mm objective variant - it would be getting close to 20oz or less then.

I have 2 Greeley XTR3's in 5.5-30 and an LHT 4.5-22. Agree with Glasshole :ROFLMAO: and Kiba and Kimbertop above re: specifics. If you want to save 10-12oz, go LHT, but if they were the same weight, I'd take the XTR3 every time. Also, the SCR2 reticle is much thinner and more precise than the LHT MRAD, but likely unnecessary for a lightweight hunter.

Glass used in the Razor LHTs were just average IMHO didn't WOW me at all considering their cost and definitely not worth their typical (regular) selling prices after comparing the to other brands of scopes even several that were made in China believe it or not. What the Vortex LHT scopes have going for them are their light weight and no questions asked NO BS Lifetime warranty including their electronics IE illuminated reticles and you can even trash them and abuse them and toss them onto the back of your pickup truck and if ever damaged you'll always get brand new replacements as long as Vortex remains in business and continue with their current customer service ethics.

The reason that I am considering Vortex and Burris is because they both offer a discount to military veterans. Leupold doesn’t offer any discounts so I own nothing Leupold. I just like to support companies that choose to support our armed forces.

Reactions: FredHammer
The reason that I am considering Vortex and Burris is because they both offer a discount to military veterans. Leupold doesn’t offer any discounts so I own nothing Leupold. I just like to support companies that choose to support our armed forces.
Dude, Leupold has the VIP program. MIL/LE/EMS discounts. It's a good one too.
I would also suggest getting a hunting scope, like the VX5HD SFP, and a competition scope, FFP. The hunting scope will be lighter, simple reticle for your 50-500yd shots. The comp scope all about the FFP and tree reticle use.

I'm happy with my lht. I wanted a light weight scope with good glass for my precision AR and it is that
Turrets are not great as many have said, but they work and don't cause an issue or anything. The glass is very good to my eye and I like the reticle much better than any other comparable option. The Vortex easy warranty doesn't hurt either. I've experienced other warranty with some supposed super tough scope brands and they acted like they were doing me this huge favor fixing their busted brand new scope so , Vortex very pleasant no nonsense warranty is much appreciated.

Reactions: YotaEer and wy_will
Leupold does offer a mil discount.

Reactions: Lightning8
Lol leupold… talk about underwhelming glass. And then there’s the reticles.

I mounted and zeroed a VX5 for a guy couple weeks ago. What a meh scope.

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer and FuhQ
I concur…Excellent crossover scope. And IMO, the SCR & SCR 2 reticles would be fine for hunting.

Leupold must still be butthurt after losing their .gov contract because of how shitty the Mk-IV scopes were/are. 😂

Dude, Leupold has the VIP program. MIL/LE/EMS discounts. It's a good one too.
I would also suggest getting a hunting scope, like the VX5HD SFP, and a competition scope, FFP. The hunting scope will be lighter, simple reticle for your 50-500yd shots. The comp scope all about the FFP and tree reticle use.
I have used FFP for hunting for a long time. I typically always dial elevation, but I do hold windage. I have no reasoning to have a sfp scope and most all of my shots are 400+ yards. Closes shot I’ve had in the last 5 or 6 years was 276 yards.

Reactions: YotaEer
I have used FFP for hunting for a long time. I typically always dial elevation, but I do hold windage. I have no reasoning to have a sfp scope and most all of my shots are 400+ yards. Closes shot I’ve had in the last 5 or 6 years was 276 yards.
Very well. You do you! (y)

Bushnell DMR II and DMR3 are solid performers too. DMR3 with brighter glass. They track like micrometers. Bushnell Elite has MIL/LE discount also.

Very well. You do you! (y)

Bushnell DMR II and DMR3 are solid performers too. DMR3 with brighter glass. They track like micrometers. Bushnell Elite has MIL/LE discount also.
I do know that Bushnell has a discount. I honestly never really considered their scopes though. Maybe I’ll look into them.

Last edited:
I do know that Bushmell has a discount. I honestly never really considered their scopes though. Maybe I’ll look into them.
Don’t waste your time or money…At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter where it’s made, it still says Bushnell on the side of it. 😂

And no, I’m not a big scope snob (even though it might sound like it), but over the years, you learn that some brands just aren’t even worth fooling with. After personal experiences with both Bushnell & Leupold, I’ll never own another one. Same with Weatherby rifles. Fool me once, shame on you…Fool me twice, shame on me.

Don’t waste your time or money…At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter where it’s made, it still says Bushnell on the side of it. 😂

And no, I’m not a big scope snob (even though it might sound like it), but over the years, you learn that some brands just aren’t even worth fooling with. After personal experiences with both Bushnell & Leupold, I’ll never own another one. Same with Weatherby rifles. Fool me once, shame on you…Fool me twice, shame on me.
I do agree that Weatherby is not worth the money. They aren’t anything special.

Reactions: FuhQ
I do agree that Weatherby is not worth the money. They aren’t anything special.
They fucked me over and refused to replace the factory defective barrel on a MK-V Accumark.257 Wby with less than 100 rounds down it, that was grouping the size of a softball at 100. Weatherby can kiss my ass.

• Haha
No experience with the Burris. I would give it a try.

I received two LHT’s, both defective out of the box. Both had bad dot intensity controller chips. The dot would flicker, or change intensity. Never even mounted them. Gave up after that. The rubber coated button was also a turn off.

I wanted to like the vortex. It was light, good glass and it said Razor on the box.
I finally sold all my Vortex scopes. I think the best review I read summed it up by saying ” it’s important they have such a great warranty, because you will probably need it”.

I have the XTR III and love it, but I only use leupold on my hunting rigs due to weight. The XTR is a little heavy for me for hunting, unless you will be in a blind And not having to hike a long way in.

I love my DMRII. it’s been a great scope for my 6.5c and my 308.