• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushmaster 308 O.R.C. 850 Yards

1911nbmore

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
Phoenix, Az
Had a chance to take the Bushy out a couple of weeks ago to shoot on steel. I'm very pleased with the purchase of this rifle. With a few easy mods and some load development I have bargain semi auto midrange tool. Here's some video fun begins around 3mins. Does anyone have a suggestion for a mount with some cant? I'm pretty much out elevation.

Bushmaster ORC

Bushmaster3081.jpg

Re: Bushmaster 308 O.R.C. 850 Yards

Sweet, thanks for sharing. Seekins makes a 20moa riser rail that you can use with standard scope rings. FWIW...

Badger makes a 20 moa riser that I use with rings. Several make a 20moa one piece mount....NF, Aadland are a couple

that is a super nice set-up. great looking rig.

liontribe

Good call on the Nightforce I forgot about the unimount. Im averaging about 2400 FPS with the 175 SMK handloads. Is this enough velocity to get me to a 1k with a higher mag optic?

nice shooting and nice looking rig

damn bro, i forget how awesome a simple build can look, and perform...

epic win on your behalf brochaco!

175gr will definiately get you there..the lower wieghts bullets can have a tendancy to start tumbling around 800 yards depending on the twist rate of your barrel. Just grab some 168Amax's and some 175gr SMK's and see which one gives you a clean hole at 1000.

I highly suggest going to Southwest Ammunition and getting there 175gr with Lapua brass...it isnt cheap but you can also get it loaded with winchester brass which will be a bit less $$. Or, Brian Litz of Litz ammunition makes some really kick ass gear. If you don't handload and want to shoot out to 1000y then you have to get some quality ammo if you want any kind of consistentcy.

Good luok and sweet looking rig.

Here is a pic of mine...

e08f0c0d.jpg

Definitely one of my favorite guns to shoot. I am always switching between the 3.5-10 Mark 4, and my 1-4x scope. I swear this gun shoots better than my R700, and it has been trued!

For the price, it's tough to beat this gun. I have groups at 1" at 200 yards with mine. I have yet to stretch it out yet, but I know it will do well. I typically shoot 155gr Hornady TAP through this one. I'm just too lazy to reload for the semi...I'll keep that for the bolt gun.

Thanks for sharing!

Hitechtac nice rig. Cant wait to get a higher mag scope. Is that the Surefire 762K muzzle brake? How effective is it? I been worried about how much of a beating my can is taking with the 16 inch barrel. I was planning to swap out the flash hider for the brake. Will the muzzle brake help extend the life of the can?

That is the K brake, and it is very effective. The brakes I have seen that have a lot of use with the cans have a good amount of wear on the brake. I'm not sure how that would wear on the can. They say shorter barrels do erode more on cans.

How does your gun function with the can? Can you spot your shots at 500 yards or do you loose sight picture with the can?

I am using PMAGs and I have yet to have any failures or malfunctions. How is the reliability of yours?

Nice rig, what optic is on top looks like a USO SN-4S?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet machine </div></div>

So, whats for sale?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911nbmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good call on the Nightforce I forgot about the unimount. Im averaging about 2400 FPS with the 175 SMK handloads. Is this enough velocity to get me to a 1k with a higher mag optic? </div></div>

What brass/powder/primers are you using for you handloads? I have been using Varget Powder, Fed 210M Primers, and Winchester brass and I am only getting around 2300 fps out of my LMT. I guess the first question I should have asked is what your barrell length is as well.

I wouldn't have thought the Bushmaster would be capable at that kind of range. I may have to look into getting one as a base to build on.

Im using 41.5 grains of varget. Win brass and CCI large rifle primers. Im getting about 2400 fps on average out the 16 inch barrel.

On my bolt action I can spot my own shots due to the higher mag scope. On the Bushmaster it not possible with the 1-4 US Optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lockdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting. We are running 45.0 grains of Varget with the same brass and only getting at 2300 fps.</div></div>

My elevation was 1100 ft 82.2F

1911nbmore: Is that the troy rail? How do you like it? I am building a lr308 and was thinking of going with that rail. I just hadnt heard any feedback from someone who has used that rail. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: signal5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911nbmore: Is that the troy rail? How do you like it? I am building a lr308 and was thinking of going with that rail. I just hadnt heard any feedback from someone who has used that rail. Thanks </div></div>
I'm pretty pleased with so far. Free floats the barrel. Gives me some mounting options and still is light weight. We'll see how it holds up over time.

When I put known data into my phone program and adjust the velocity to match real world differences between 100 and 400 yards it tells me I'm getting 2400 FPS out of my Oracle with 24.5 Varget, LC brass, 200 primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fr3db3ar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I put known data into my phone program and adjust the velocity to match real world differences between 100 and 400 yards it tells me I'm getting 2400 FPS out of my Oracle with 24.5 Varget, LC brass, 200 primers. </div></div>

Do you mean 44.5 grains of varget?

How much did you pay for your Bushy? I am considering one for a economical AR15 but not a AR10. Still, people seem to love their Bushys.

Can u tell me if that is the same platform as the rra lar 8. If so where did the poly mags come from?

The Rock River differs from the Bushy/DPMS platform. PMAGs won't work with the RR guns.

I wanted RRA but no pmags=no sale. The bushy sure seems like the best value!..

So it is dpms platform. That what I needed to know
Thanks
T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A2DownRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much did you pay for your Bushy? I am considering one for a economical AR15 but not a AR10. Still, people seem to love their Bushys. </div></div>
$799 at Sportsman Warehouse

Have you had any problems with the Troy rail rotating on you? Reason I ask is I see that they don't come with the anti rotation tabs like the 5.56 tubes do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobH.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911,

Have you had any problems with the Troy rail rotating on you? Reason I ask is I see that they don't come with the anti rotation tabs like the 5.56 tubes do. </div></div>

No issues yet but I haven't really applied any torque to the rail. I'll slap VFG tomorrow and try to tweak it left to right.

2012-06-25171114.jpg

Mine is really over gassed. It ejects the rounds at approx 01:00 o'clock and about two feet out from the rifle. I have purchased two things to attempt to slow it down. A Tubbs carrier weight and a Tubbs SSS flat wire spring.

I could and still may go with the adjustable gas block. I am going to run a can on it if it will ever get here. I was attempting to solve this problem with out an adjustable gas block first. I also only bought parts that I could move over to my patrol rifle if they did not work on the orc ( my patrol rifle is also heavy on the gas, not as bad as the orc). It was shooting 1.25" to 2" "5 round groups" before any mods, so maybe this will tame it a little. I refuse (as of now) to pay $125 for a special buffer/spring from "slash". I will try to correct these issues before spending that much $.

I do have some questions for the OP.

1. Did your rifle need any mods for the extraction/ejection?
2. Was it over gassed as mine is?
3. Do you run the stock buffer and spring by their self?
4. It looks like my AR15 barrel wrench will fit on the barrel nut.
5. Did yours need an AR10 barrel wrench or did it use an AR15 wrench to put your Troy rail on? Does the troy rail use the same wrench or does it come with a new wrench for the barrel nut?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2012-06-25171114.jpg

Mine is really over gassed. It ejects the rounds at approx 01:00 o'clock and about two feet out from the rifle. I have purchased two things to attempt to slow it down. A Tubbs carrier weight and a Tubbs SSS flat wire spring.

I could and still may go with the adjustable gas block. I am going to run a can on it if it will ever get here. I was attempting to solve this problem with out an adjustable gas block first. I also only bought parts that I could move over to my patrol rifle if they did not work on the orc ( my patrol rifle is also heavy on the gas, not as bad as the orc). It was shooting 1.25" to 2" "5 round groups" before any mods, so maybe this will tame it a little. I refuse (as of now) to pay $125 for a special buffer/spring from "slash". I will try to correct these issues before spending that much $.

I do have some questions for the OP.

1. Did your rifle need any mods for the extraction/ejection?
2. Was it over gassed as mine is?
3. Do you run the stock buffer and spring by their self?
4. It looks like my AR15 barrel wrench will fit on the barrel nut.
5. Did yours need an AR10 barrel wrench or did it use an AR15 wrench to put your Troy rail on? Does the troy rail use the same wrench or does it come with a new wrench for the barrel nut? </div></div>

Longarm I apologize it took so long to respond. I havent checked on this posting in a while. Did the Tubbs mods slow down the carrier?

1. I need to find a upgrade to my Extrator spring. It's become really weak with only 800 rounds thru the gun. If you have any suggestion please post it.
2. Rifle is definitly over gassed.
3. Still running the stock buffer and spring, but I think I'm going to uprgrade to a AR10 tube, spring and H3 buffer.
4. AR15 wrench will not fit. The Troy Ind 308 Rail does not come with the barrel nut wrench, and 5.56 barrel nut wrench does not fit. I think we used a DPMS AR10 wrench.

I hope that I can sort out the over gassing issue myself. The rifle is pretty accurate so don't want to send it back to Bushmaster.

OK,
1. Springs
2. adjustable and lockable gas block , I used the clamp on model. This fixed my over gassing problems and my extraction problems all at once.
3. SSS flat wire spring w/ 500,000 compressions , do not change you tube or buffer, it is not needed if you install an adjustable gas block. I reused my factory buffer. My rifle will now shoot 1" (5 round groups)and ejects the spent casings out at approximately 5 o'clock
4. I used a dpms multi tool to remove my barrel nut. I then put some red loctite on the barrel extension (not the threads)and reinstalled the Troy Extreme 13.8" rail. The wrench worked find. I thought I would have to buy a AR10 wrench but I did not need it. The dpms (already had it)was easy and I was shocked that it fit.

I tried the Tubbs carrier wieght sys but it didn't do anything noticeable. The (Tubbs) SSS spring did help with felt recoil and pull weight. I moved the carrier weight sys over to my patrol rifle (which also did nothing to help it out).

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">If I had it to do all over again I would buy the SSS Spring and a Syrac Clamp on gas block and call it a day. Those made a night and day difference in the way it shoots. The carrier weight sys is a waste of time for rifles that are over gassed. I also kept my factory buffer and it works great in the ubr. </span></span>

I think I would rather spend $120.00 on a gas block and better springs than buy a $120 heavy buffer from slash that is only a band aid. The (slash)heavy buffer and AR10 buffer tube helps the over gassing problem but does not cure it. I found that when I cut the gas down ( to a normal level ) the wear and tear on my bolt/extractor and rifle was almost nothing when compared to before. Before (the adjustable gas block) my rifle was trying to rip the case out of the rifle while it was still under pressure. Now (after installing the adjustable gas block)I don't get dented cases or ripped up rims on the case.

Two things I should mention;
1. I like clamp on gas blocks. I had to modify the troy rail to free float the rail over the (clamp on) gas block. The tension style syrac gas block should fit with no alterations on a troy rail. The clamp on block/ troy rail is a very easy fix.
2. Of the gas blocks I have seen the syrac is the best I have come across. It is adjustable from the front and sides with allen wrenches. It is well made. I like it because it has a detent that prevents the settings from moving or changing without allen wrenches. I wanted a simple set up not a 3 positions gas block ie.. "full gas, medium gas and no gas" because they do not work in every rifle due to dwell time and gas port size and or use of a suppressor. What is a good setting for your rifle may not work for mine (full, medium, none). That is why I think the Syrac gas block is better because it can be set and reset with any amount of gas you want and it is simple to do. YMMV

I have pictures of my rail mod and gas block.
1341913414133.jpg

1341913297324.jpg

2012-07-12135513.jpg

I just took out the dremel and went full red neck on the extreme rail and removed one small section of the rail. The gas block is now free floated. The rifle now has a Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 on it so I can dial up now. I was kind of limited on that with the Trijicon.

I am getting 2400fps with 43.5gn Varget mil-spec brass (GGG) and 168gn AMax bullets. I want to try the 178 AMax's and I would like to bump up the speed and try to keep it at or above 2400. I was on the low side for pressure with this load (168's).

Weaver also makes a 20 MOA AR flat top adaptor base as well. I've used plenty of Weaver Products and for the Money they are Excelent Products and Good Quality. FWIW...

Dustin at Hightech - also a great looking rifle!

Do you shoot down at Port of the Islands?

Thanks Islandtime. Yes it's the 16 inch barrel. Longarm the link you put up for the extractor spring is for the ar15 bolt. Will it work in the 308 bolt?

Good call on the Nightforce I forgot about the unimount. Im averaging about 2400 FPS with the 175 SMK handloads. Is this enough velocity to get me to a 1k with a higher mag optic?

2400 FPS should be sub-sonic at 1K depending on your elevation. Just shoot it at distance and see what happens.