• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell 4200 FFP 3-12 mini review

Ando

None
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2007
HI
Just got the new Bushnell 4200 3-12 FFP Illuminated.

First impressions. This thing is a tank. 700 grams, that's a pound and a half, 25 ounces. I don't think there are too many scopes that weigh more than that. Typical Bushnell Elite turrets and solid feel just like any other elite that you may have handled. I used to think that the Bushnell turrets were huge, but the more scopes I see, the more they look average to small. Finish and controls nice, again typical Bushnell. Lettering is black on black, so that you know that you are tacticool. About 22 mils travel in each direction according to turret twists. 5 mils per revolution. No zero stops of course, so that's one in favor of the yet to be released Vortex Viper PST. Illumination is green and it lights up the whole mil dotted part of the reticle. Illumination control is variable, so no discreet settings. The only click is off to on then rotate to increase brightness. Parallax controls are marked for range, and go all the way down to 10 yards! So if your looking for a tacticool rimfire scope, this could fit the bill. Also, the parallax range marks are correct, so set the parallax at 150 yards for example, and at 150 yards the image is clear. So all in all solid and serviceable.

I just received this scope in today and just mounted it to my 20" Sam-R-ish AR-15. So I have not had an opportunity to shoot it yet. However we have been comparing it back and forth with many other midlevel optics. These impressions are from me and my friend and are totally subjective. The scopes I was comparing to today were a super sniper 3-9 variable, Zeiss conquest 6-20 50MM, new Leupold VX-3 6-20 50MM Long Range Target, and Leupold MK4 6-20 50MM.

First off this scope is very similar to the Super sniper in size and weight and dimensions, just with added zoom and illumination, but otherwise they looked like close cousins.

With all the scopes set at 12 power, the glass in the Bushnell was very comparable to the MK4 and the Conquest, nice and clear and definitely bright. The new VX-3 long range 50mm has the nicest glass that I have ever seen. Better then the Zeiss and the MK4 and better then the two nightforces that I have been able to spend time with. I've never had a chance to look through any truly top tier glass, like Premier or S&B or CounterSniper..... jk ;), so I have no basis for comparison. Both the Bushnell and the MK4 have some minor edge effects. The Bushnell has a barely noticeable fish eye effect just at the very edge, and the MK4 had a noticeable shadowing at the edge. Both effects not at all distracting, but these effects were not observed on the Zeiss or the VX-3. So the Bushnell defiantly competes at this level. The glass seems better then the last Elite 6500 that I looked through. Has anybody else noticed this, that 4200s look better then 6500s?

For eye relief, that Bushnell had a large non critical eye relief, even at max power. There was also no change in focal distance when changing power. I really have given up on Leupold due to the massive change in eye relief when zooming up or down.

Finally the only disappointment, the illumination. At night time, even the lowest setting is too bright. You can see the green lighting up the inside of the scope, this should definitely be dimmer. I don't know why they made it that bright on "1" when it goes up to "10". I will have to try again at twilight, but this is an easily corrected problem at the manufacturing level. I'm surprised at this flaw. I think they may not be taking into account the human eye's sensitivity to green vs. red. I would think that settings one to about three would be a not visible night vision setting, and then scalling up from there, but I guess if you could afford any sort of quality night vision, you would be spending a lot more on a scope. I do like the green though. I also have an Accupoint 1-4 with green triangle, so call me a green convert. The Bushnell gathers noticeably more light then the Accupoint at night time though. Of course it is a 42mm vs. the Accupoint's 30mm and they do have that whole "Brightest scope made" tag line.

I won't have a chance to shoot till this weekend, so I can't test the tracking until then, but all in all I'm quite happy with this scope. So far without shooting it yet, it absolutely holds it own against the MK4s. Scott from Liberty called the new Vortex Viper PST "Nightforce lite", I think that description fits the Bushnell also. I can absolutely recommend this scope. MSRP is $850 but like I have written before, there is a pretty far dealer mark up, so one of the Hide vendors could probably help you out.

Re: Bushnell 4200 FFP 3-12 mini review

Just checked, Midway has these listed at $850, but SWFA has these for $680. I don't see why anyone would buy a Super Sniper variable for $600 when this is available for just a bit more. Well actually the Super Sniper hat and drink coozie are pretty cool...:)

Thanks, this is very helpful. If only this thing had zero stops! Nonethless, I'll be picking one up at the end of the week. Anyone care to comment on the 6-24?

Looking forward to your impression after shooting behind it and tracking tests.

Thanks for the review so far.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ando</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "Nightforce lite" like Scott from Liberty wrote in his blog. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure that comment was referring to the Viper PST, not the Bushnell.

Thanks for the review, I did like the 3-12 FFP Bushnell the best, and it did have the best sight picture at SHOT.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ando</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "Nightforce lite" like Scott from Liberty wrote in his blog. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure that comment was referring to the Viper PST, not the Bushnell.

Thanks for the review, I did like the 3-12 FFP Bushnell the best, and it did have the best sight picture at SHOT.

Scott
</div></div>

Whoops,
I'll correct that..

Maybe Scott could give us a link?

I looked for a while but can't find it, was just about ready to pull the trigger on a SS Variable but now I know I will kick myself if I don't at least check out the Bushnell.

I like the initial thoughts. I will be buying a couple of these in the next few weeks and will be giving them hell. Well see how they fair.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the initial thoughts. I will be buying a couple of these in the next few weeks and will be giving them hell. Well see how they fair..... </div></div>

I only hope they can survive the abuse you'll give em.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ando</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just checked, Midway has these listed at $850, but SWFA has these for $680. I don't see why anyone would buy a Super Sniper variable for $600 when this is available for just a bit more. Well actually the Super Sniper hat and drink coozie are pretty cool...:) </div></div>

Mil/Mil and I know the SS can take a beating and not flinch. Don't know how the Bushnell would hold up.
If you don't mind destroying yours, give it a try and get back to us.

Edit to add, I'm a dumbass and read that its mil and still wrote what I wrote. Nevermind.

It is good to see Bushnell putting mil adjustments in more scopes. I have the first mil adjust 4200, the 1.25-4x24, and am happy with it even though mil adjust is somewhat meaningless without a mil reticle. Looking forward to more reviews on the x44 model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any update on your review?

Can we get a few pics?</div></div>

Sorry, tsunami warning threw off the whole schedule...

The feedback on these scopes has been quite good. They are what they are but they are here and offer a viable option until the competition (Viper PST) arrives.

Scott

I agree on everything except the illumination. I don't get any distracting 'bleed-out' at all until pushing past four or five on the dial.

Running thru a box pattern today mine came back to square one every time, and i like the positive click turrets. Running thru my dope tables with two different kinds of ammo it's been right on the money out to 350 yards. Will test farther out this week sometime.

Got mine from SWFA for less than $630 shipped.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but this looks like a nice lil FFP scope. I have/used 4 bushnell scopes and love them all. They are good value for money.

Any more info on this scope?? any issues, etc??

I bought one shortly afterwards.No complaints at all,especially for the price.The only thing I see that could be upgraded is a reticle in half mils or some type of Horus hybrid mil type reticle.I think the Bushnell 3-12x44FFP is a bargain for a $650 scope.

The thing I appreciate most about is it tracks correctly.Unlike some of the other similarly priced scopes I've owned or friends have.

900 and something yards,can't remember exactly.I laser ranged a rock face,dialed the dope the ballistic program gave and hit the crack I was aiming at on the first shot.I sent a few more to confirm and they were pretty well centered.It's been right on at every other distance too.

Thats good. I wnat something that can take me out to 1000m, 1200m in a pinch which this will do with the loads I usually run.

Id love a NF NXS but with my money situation and alike, this is sorta what I think I may end up with. I know I'll love the NXS but I was just looking through the 3200 5-15x40 I have on my rifle at the moment (its my mates scope im borrowing) Im not sure whether I need much more the what the 3-12x44 is offering. It has everything I want from the NF F1. That and I really done mind the normal MilDot reticle.

Glad to see this review, I'm interested in this scope for a hunting rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ando</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just checked, Midway has these listed at $850, <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">but SWFA has these for $680</span></span>. I don't see why anyone would buy a Super Sniper variable for $600 when this is available for just a bit more. Well actually the Super Sniper hat and drink coozie are pretty cool...:) </div></div>

$680? Not a chance! Try $849.95! Anyone found a link to buy this for under $800?

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-12x44-Elite-4200-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45484.aspx

Interesting !!! They were $629 at SWFA a couple months ago IIRC ??? I paid $679 for mine.Call Liberty Optics and see what he sells them for.

Wish I could afford one of these right now but can't. Picked up the weaver 3-10 mil/mil from midway instead.

I still really like this scope. It has gone back and forth on a variety of AR-15s and AR-10s.
No new complaints with use, the only things I would like fixed are the too bright illumination, and I wish it had a Zero Stop. But it sounds like the illumination is fixed on the new production scopes.
Anyone looking to buy shoud take advantage of the SWFA 110% price match. That would save you $80 right there. Liberty Optics would probably offer the same to a Hide member.

Definitley been looking at this.
I would get a viper PST no dramas but i got told to wait until october and they MIGHT have one in? Sorry but killed that sale for me, especially since i heard on here somewhere that it might be Jan before even US customers get thiers.

Cheers for the reivew. Might pick one up in 6-24x next week for the new savage!

This is getting tempting but if I dont get the NF, I know I'll still want it. Argh. This is annoying.

The PST did look promising but a few issues have been raised and alike. They do look nice for the money. I like the 4-16x50 FFP.

Yeah, But those scopes are not FFP. The Bushnell 3-12x44 is a FFP scope. That and the illum reticle is the features that most of us want.

Guess they went up a bit ,I also paid around $679.00 a couple of months ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott is 839.99, I just had a look. I havent seen anywhere for under that soo far. </div></div>

I'm glad I bought mine when I did then!

Wow ... got mine this Spring for $628 er so. Wish I'd bought a second one then.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott is 839.99, I just had a look. I havent seen anywhere for under that soo far. </div></div>

I'm glad I bought mine when I did then! </div></div>

Looks like the 3-12x44's bang for the buck just diminished some.