• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Banner Any Good?

lightsareout

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
Clarksville, TN
I have a Remington 700 in 308 and I need to get a new scope for it. The gun will be used for target and hunting whitetail; shooting up to 300 yards. I've been looking at a vortex 6.5-20x for $400 and a Bushnell Banner 6-24x for $150. I would prefer to save the money at the moment and get the Bushnell. Will I be dissatisfied with my purchase if I get the Bushnell?

Also can anyone recommend a picitinny rail and rings for mounting a new scope?

Re: Bushnell Banner Any Good?

I would use neither!
I'd go with a fix 6 and use the mil-dot for ranging your deer.
then save for a nicer upgrade. JMHO.
6X42 SS

First scope I ever bought was a 6-18X50mm Banner for a .22-250. Shot a lot of prairie dogs with it, but I was a beginner and just held off for elevation & windage, so I can't speak as to it repeatability regarding dialing the turrets.

It is what it is. Decent scope for the price, but spending a bit more will get better glass. Had it at the range one day along with a Nikon Buckmaster and Burris Fullfield II. It was obvious the banner's glass wasn't as bright or clear as the other two. And the image quality degraded towards the edge of the glass.

In your price range, other than the Viper, consider a Nikon buckmaster or monarch, or one of the Burris Fullfield lines. There's plenty of other good choices for shooting deer and paper out to 300 yards in that price range as well. Other hiders will probably chime in with them.

I don't know what range you usually shoot deer at, but I'd prefer a variable with a low end below 6.5X. Unless you just love high magnification, what about a 2.5-10, 4-12 or 4.5-14? Even with a rifle scope that goes up to 24X, don't count on seeing bullet holes in paper at 300 yards (especially if it's a banner).

Like everyone else said...Hold off and save money for a better glass. The ol sang goes. "You get what you pay for" Look at the nikon monarchs or the bushnells elites 4200s before those two. Just my words though. BTW why do you need that big of power for target and whitetail?

I've used Banner scopes many years ago and they were the bottom of the line. The zoom models had excessive chromatic aberration at the high end. I doubt if that has changed if the price is that low and especially for high mag zooms. There are many other low priced scopes available so I would look elsewhere. Maybe you can find one of the Bushnell 3200 closeouts.

If it is down to those two scopes I would get the Viper. It has much better glass than the banner.