• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell DMR II still Relevant?

wcoats

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2020
Apex NC
I’m thinking about buying a Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21 but wanting a sanity check to make sure it’s still a good option with all of the newer scopes in the $1000 or less category. Thinking about doing the GA precision deal with DMR II and a Kestrel 5700 sportsman

Context/Intended use: would be going on a Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor in a KRG chassis. Used to shoot steel and do some PRS style matches. I have a range only 25 min away where I can shoot out to 600 yards and have only done 2 match so far but wanting to get into doing more. I currently have an Ares BTR 4.5-27 on this rifle and would probably sell it to offset some of the cost of the DMR II. Will it be enough of an upgrade to be worth it or should I just stick ether Ares BTR. I have a 4.5-18 LRHS that I real like and I’ve wanted a DMR II fir s while but wanting to make sure I’m not over valuing it vs how it actually compares to some of the newer scopes a a slightly cheaper price point.

Here is are some pictures of the rifle I would put it on.

Attachments

• C366461D-ED78-4E88-9C84-779DAC330FD4.jpeg
    C366461D-ED78-4E88-9C84-779DAC330FD4.jpeg
    703.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 95329F5C-B479-49BC-855A-CE357DCAFFEC.jpeg
    95329F5C-B479-49BC-855A-CE357DCAFFEC.jpeg
    829.8 KB · Views: 136
  • D6856943-A826-4902-A1AA-0B4C9A6C6597.jpeg
    D6856943-A826-4902-A1AA-0B4C9A6C6597.jpeg
    639.9 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: viking78
I own Two. I think for under a $1,000, they are great optics. Both of mine track, zero complaints.

You can usually find them used here for around $850-$900 shipped.

I own Two. I think for under a $1,000, they are great optics. Both of mine track, zero complaints.

You can usually find them used here for around $850-$900 shipped.

Thanks for the input. I’m going to get one. I think I’m just going to go for the GA precision deal and get a new one with a Kestrel since I don’t have a Kestrel yet.

I like mine. Got the H59 reticle just to try it out. Shoots well on my SPR ish build. Bought from @gr8fuldoug and Camerland. The free kestrel was a bonus as well.

I like mine. Got the H59 reticle just to try it out. Shoots well on my SPR ish build. Bought from @gr8fuldoug and Camerland. The free kestrel was a bonus as well.
I got an xrs2 H59 and wasn’t impressed bc at 30x the reticle was so thick, it obscured the target. Is the reticle really thick on yours?

@car16smg It has been a while since I cranked it up to full power. Not sure how much difference 9x more mag would change it though. My XRS is the G2 I believe and I like that one at 30x. Trying to go today to see how it runs after a barrel change so maybe have some fresh input later this afternoon

Reactions: car16smg
If you can swing the price difference, the DMR2 Pro has noticeably better glass than the standard DMR2. The standard DMR2 is a great scope, though. Tracking is great, they're reliable, and fairly compact. I'm partial to the G3 reticle

Do it. I did that same deal from GA Awhile back. Just compared my DMRII to the Mark 5HD 3-18 last weekend. The Leupold has a spectacular elevation turret, its’s lighter and shorter but overall I still prefer the DMRII. Three of us confirmed that the Bushnell was easier to see impacts on paper at shorter ranges, no difference on steel at 600 and It has a more forgiving eye box.

Thanks everyone for the input and confirming that this is still a good scope with the current options out there. I just ordered one and hopefully I'll get it in time to go to the range next weekend

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
nope , completely out of date and worthless. And if you have one ill buy it off you to prove its worthless for oh say 50 dollars lol you will never miss it , you never know unless you try .

What everybody else wrote!
The DMR are value for monye, Period!
I had one as a reserve scope and it was a very good scope for the money and the only complaint i had, was the lack of zero-stop on my particular model, but i could live with it, as i didn't use it for PRS.
I passed it on to one of my buddies, when i upgraded to Kahles and he is very happy, with it

I recommend the non-illuminated G3. I’ve had the illuminated models, and the reticle is too thick for my taste. Solid deal with the Kestrel. I got that same deal from @gr8fuldoug at cameralandny

I had one with the illuminated, and i do agree that the reticle was too think to really pin pint sharp shooting.
Otherwise really nice scope.

I was considering these for precision 5.56 guns, 20” barrel, always on a bipod/tripod - read: heavy precision 5.56 gun. Not a run-around SPR/recce type rife. I wouldn’t need the magnification up to 21 for 5.56 distances, so would the thick illuminated reticle work for a 5.56 precision gun at lower levels of magnification?

I was thinking one of these would have a nicer eye box, FOV, low light transmission over my LRTSi’s?

I was considering these for precision 5.56 guns, 20” barrel, always on a bipod/tripod - read: heavy precision 5.56 gun. Not a run-around SPR/recce type rife. I wouldn’t need the magnification up to 21 for 5.56 distances, so would the thick illuminated reticle work for a 5.56 precision gun at lower levels of magnification?

I was thinking one of these would have a nicer eye box, FOV, low light transmission over my LRTSi’s?

Since they're FFP the thicker center is always going to cover the same relative amount of the target. If I remember right, the center lines are .1 thick on the illuminated and .05 on the non.

Reactions: FishinGuns
I ended up buying the Bushnell DMR II and took it to the range yesterday and I'm happy with the purchase :) It fully met my expectations and I'm glad I got it.

Now I just need to decide if I'm going to keep the Kestra sportsman it came with or sell it. So far I've always just used StrelokPro and never had any issues with it giving me the correct elevation hold overs just using the weather data from Metro with out anything more specific for my exact location. It seems like most people doing PRS style shooting have a Kestral, just not sure how much I would actually use it vs just using StrelokPro on my phone.

Reactions: Dr. Davy Jones
I ended up buying the Bushnell DMR II and took it to the range yesterday and I'm happy with the purchase :) It fully met my expectations and I'm glad I got it.

Now I just need to decide if I'm going to keep the Kestra sportsman it came with or sell it. So far I've always just used StrelokPro and never had any issues with it giving me the correct elevation hold overs just using the weather data from Metro with out anything more specific for my exact location. It seems like most people doing PRS style shooting have a Kestral, just not sure how much I would actually use it vs just using StrelokPro on my phone.

I got the combo as well, but with the XRS II and I’m done with getting data from my phone! I like that I can build my profiles on the app in the phone then Bluetooth them to the kestrel.

Reactions: wcoats
And that's easier to use than just using your phone? PS I do have also have a Bushnell Elite 1 Mile ConX. I've heard of people linking their Kestrel and range finder/binoculars but never really knew to what extent or how much help that is. Can I link the Kestrel to my range finder and if so what added features does that give? Would the range finder tell the Kestrel the distance for it to give me an elevation correction or would the range finder display an elevation correction instead of a distance? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just never really dug into it much.

My rangefinder and Kestrel are connected, if I laze something it will populate itself into the kestrel with the firing solution. It’s pretty handy to have.

Reactions: wcoats
I would have bought one of those GA Precision deals if they sold the H59 reticle instead of the G3. :(

And that's easier to use than just using your phone?
Besides my hard copy DOPE, I don’t want to have to rely on a piece of equipment that isn’t purpose built for LR shooting in the field, which also happens to be the same thing I use to communicate with. Also, the phone gets hot really easy in the sun and I don’t want to run down the battery in case I need to use it for regular phone stuff. You basically got the kestrel for free with the scope. Why not use it?! My range finder doesn’t have Bluetooth so not sure but yes your measured range should show up on the kestrel if they’re synced.

Last edited:
What?! I just was looking at their website... I haven't asked them.

Once you use a Kestrel, you'll never go back to an app.

What?! I just was looking at their website... I haven't asked them.

Call and talk to Ken. He might be able to help you out.

I’m thinking about buying a Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21 but wanting a sanity check to make sure it’s still a good option with all of the newer scopes in the $1000 or less category. Thinking about doing the GA precision deal with DMR II and a Kestrel 5700 sportsman

Context/Intended use: would be going on a Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor in a KRG chassis. Used to shoot steel and do some PRS style matches. I have a range only 25 min away where I can shoot out to 600 yards and have only done 2 match so far but wanting to get into doing more. I currently have an Ares BTR 4.5-27 on this rifle and would probably sell it to offset some of the cost of the DMR II. Will it be enough of an upgrade to be worth it or should I just stick ether Ares BTR. I have a 4.5-18 LRHS that I real like and I’ve wanted a DMR II fir s while but wanting to make sure I’m not over valuing it vs how it actually compares to some of the newer scopes a a slightly cheaper price point.

Here is are some pictures of the rifle I would put it on.
Bushnell has solid optics, however, my Forge 4.5-27×50 has better glass clarity than the DMR2 I had.
I'd try an score a DMR2 Pro