• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell DMR/XRS 3 or Mark 5HD?

Reaper 31

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2018
    Texas
    Was looking at getting new glass in the coming months and wanted to get some recommendations between both mentioned above. Primary purpose is for new hunting rig but will do my occasional LR shooting also. I haven't seen through the XRS/DMR 3 but I really like the G4P reticle, and the large numbers on the turret. I know the Mark 5 is solid and has great glass. I was leaning more towards the DMR or the 3.6x18 Mark 5 to keep it light and compact. I have crossed out the Razor and the NX8 but I'm open to other options. Thanks

Reactions: Wolf47
    The Mark 5 and the XRS3 should be pretty comparable glass wise. I'd say go with the one that has the reticle you prefer.

Thanks for the feedback. I wish the PR-2 reticle was available on the 3.6x18 Mark 5 and that probably would have been my direct route.

For a hunting rig I'd go with the Mark 5 based on weight. I'm not always concerned with total weight because with a heavy gun a heavy optic works, but if you're hunting gun is fairly light a heavy scope will make it feel like a Harley hauling firewood. I've had both, like both, currently hunt with an NX8 and all are fine but for a hunting gun I just can't recommend the Bushnell unless your gun is pretty heavy.

I have both MK5 and DMR3, no real complaints either way but I do like the G4P reticle better so I am planning on getting XRS3 for my new rifle.

Good to hear. I've been recommending that scope to my brother who is building an aero m5e1. Hopefully the xtr series still tracks as good as in the past.
    I have the new illuminated model on my 300 Norma that I hunt elk with. So far its neck and neck with all my US made models, but it comes in at $500 less money and red or green illumination. I've been out to a mile and back with mine. Good glass and dead nuts tracking.

Once these start hitting the shelves and people get some time on them, it's going to be very clear that at $1200 to $1300, these are going to be super hard to beat.

Reactions: 912173
    The Burris is nearly 30oz which is absurd for what it is. They are also a mid tier optic, always have been, and always will be. They are Beretta/Sako/Tikka's cut rate optic behind Steiner
    As a company they suck too; I've had two buddies go to work there, both quit, and neither are bitches.

Well…..that escalated rather quickly-

I've had several Burris XTR 3 in 18x....
    Several Mark 5HD in 18x

One DMR3 with another showing up today.

The DMR3 has glass quite a step up above either. I've had them side x side for hours.....

All are pretty good glass wise, but the difference is notable when comparing them directly. The new DMR3 glass is super bright. Brighter and more crisp than either the Burris or Mark5.

However it is basically an 8-21x.....due to reticle size.

The illuminated Burris would be my 2nd choice. It's got awesome field of view. Just didn't perform as well as the others on 15x-18x

Reactions: chevy327
    Is the glass between the Bushnell and Mark 5 about equal? They both come from LOW in Japan I believe but I'm sure they each have their own specs...

Is the glass between the Bushnell and Mark 5 about equal? They both come from LOW in Japan I believe but I'm sure they each have their own specs...
    Mark 5HD glass does pretty well in rainy, cloudy conditions. It doesn't cut mirage as well as the Burris or DMR3.

The DMR3 is an obvious upgrade to anyone looking at any of the 3 side x side.

I'd never own another 3.6-18x Mark 5HD after having seen the DMR3 next to it.
    Field of view, image quality, and robustness (Bushy Elites have a great reputation for tracking and reliability), make it an easy choice for me. To me 1/2 lbs of extra weight in a scope is a small price to pay for the better optic.

I like the G4 reticle better than anything Leupold offers in the 18x model. The two mark 5's I had both were Pr-1 Mil reticles.

Bushnell has some crazy good discounts on the new DMR3 as well. Making it an exceptional value.

Mark 5HD glass does pretty well in rainy, cloudy conditions. It doesn't cut mirage as well as the Burris or DMR3.

The DMR3 is an obvious upgrade to anyone looking at any of the 3 side x side.

I'd never own another 3.6-18x Mark 5HD after having seen the DMR3 next to it.
    Field of view, image quality, and robustness (Bushy Elites have a great reputation for tracking and reliability), make it an easy choice for me. To me 1/2 lbs of extra weight in a scope is a small price to pay for the better optic.

I like the G4 reticle better than anything Leupold offers in the 18x model. The two mark 5's I had both were Pr-1 Mil reticles.

Bushnell has some crazy good discounts on the new DMR3 as well. Making it an exceptional value.
    Where/what are the Bushnell discounts?

Burris XTR3 3.3-18 is better than both IMO for the intended purpose.
    Why? Pretty sure everything I have seen says the 3.3-18 glass isn't super special and that if you want good glass, get a 5.5-30 XTR3. Given the 5.5-30 is compared to MK5, I would not expect the 3.3-18 hold up to that level of glass. It also weighs the same as the 5-25 mk5

Well, nobody asked about Burris junk.
    Hmm, lemme see.... Do you happen to:

1. Rock a Quigley-Ford 5-20 for your shooting?
    2. Enjoy weightlifting- specifically bench-press?
    3. Be employed in the construction business, specifically in concrete?
    4. Have over 200 bow kills?
    5. Shoot soccer ball-sized groups?

I found a deal on the DMR3 G4P that I jumped on after all. I kept going back and forth between the 3x18 MK5 but for me, it came down to the reticle options and the price. I like turret details better too. Will be going on my up coming 25 CM project. Thanks

Reactions: screaminweasil
    I found a deal on the DMR3 G4P that I jumped on after all. I kept going back and forth between the 3x18 MK5 but for me, it came down to the reticle options and the price. I like turret details better too. Will be going on my up coming 25 CM project. Thanks
    Having had several of each.. Despite the "deal", you made the best choice.

The DMR3 has glass above and beyond the 3-18x Mark 5HD. I have 3 DMR3 and (HAD) 2 18x Leupy Mark5

Your gonna love the DMR3. The G4 ret is awesome as well.

Do tell, what you think when you get it.

Last edited: