• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC Monocular LFR - Reivew

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    This is a review of the Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC Laser Range Finder.

It's been an adventure, and it's being compared to a probably malfunctioning Leica 1600 CRF.

Ok,

Pros:

- Inexpensive in relative terms, cost me $374.00
    - Has a bright targeting circle that can be seen is bright light, and adjusted down for low light
    - Tells you the agle that you are aiming from.
    - Has target, brush, and no enhancement modes
    - Has a built in tripod mount
    - It's typically 99% accurate according to goole earth
    - Works without issue in heat marage up to 1000 yards on black targets
    - Works in very high humidity (in which all of these rangings we taken
    - Glass is nicer thanks the fusion binocs, which seem darker

Cons:

- Glass is not as nice as the Leica or the Sawaroski
    - Have yet to hit a seriously distant target, even using a tripod past 1400 yards.

Ok,

I started by ranging the following opbjects:

Object, LRF, Google Earth

High Tension Poles (light grey), 905 yards, 902 yards
    High Tension Poles (light grey), 689 yards, 686 yards
    Communicaions (cell) tower (black), 1204 yards, 1212 yards
    Large American Flag - Pole (white), 460 yards, 463 yards
    ELINT like attenia - small, metallic, 517 yards, 517 yards
    Large Red/White microware relay tower, 909 yards, 907 yards
    Large white water tower, 648 yards, 648 yards
    Treeline at further visable stretch, 1433 yards, 1460 yards

Basically, I find that if the unit was just a little smaller, it'd be perfect. So far, I'm see numbers are within 99% of the actualy distance as reported by google earth.

Starting point were determine by GPS and plugged into Google Earth to ensure accurate comparisons.

I think the Bushnell elite 1600 ARC may be a serious winner.

Gerhard

Re: Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC Monocular LFR - Reivew

PS, I can post the targets and infor over the next several day. The iPhone sucked for this, but the embedded GPS info was helpful.

Oh, and I will run a set of comparitive readings on WELL distance targets when the humidity drops to zero in the fall / winter.

Sounds like it works as well as the binos, the circle in the binos is hard to see in bright sunlight, I probably would have preferred these over the binos, I did check my ranges with google and they were dead on at a 600 and 1k berm
    ,have also hit stuff to 1700 plus.What deal did you pull, the msrp is 8 +?

Update:

I took an AN/TVS-5 out at night and took some measurements.

(I have a Gen III tube on the way, but I've got to be honest... with a flawless NOS Gen II tube (MX-9644UV) it works damn well.)

Anyway, I took readings at sunset and in the dark, and the unit works very well up to around 1600 yards. The furthest ranging was 1586 yards - tree line - top of trees.

I have been unable to get it to range a comm tower (likely cell) at 2400 yards. I suspect it will be able to do around 2000 yards, but I've got a gut feeling that it will not function quite as well as the binocs, due to the size of the objective lens.

Anyway, this is a VERY good performer if you really want something can get work as well as they advertize.

It gives you angle in degress (+ or - for up or down), MOA, MIL, and distance correction for the angle.

Once winter comes around and the humidity drops to basically zero, I'll attempt some rangings that are past 1600 yards and see if they work.

The accuracy on this device is VERY good, even though they give themselves plenty of leaway (sp?) just in case in the manual.

Unlike the Leica, which clearly used an IR laser, I was unable to see the beam strikes with the MX-9644 tube. We'll see what swapping out with an MX-11620UV Gen III tube does. ...and run a few more tests.

I suspect a properly calibrated Leica CRF 1600 would be a better unit (in relative terms), but for the price, not better enoughgiven it costs two times or more as much.

GB

Do you know if it corrects the distance in scan mode or if there's a way to get an uncorrected distance?

It does correct for angle compensation, but only to 800 yards.

Ok,

Thus far I have not been able to get the unit to range over 1600 yards.

I suspect it's either software limited or just can't do it. It DOES work as advertised.

I had an opportunity this evening to take out some sensitive Gen III equipment with HUGE objective lenses and scan the field for the LFR laser impacts.

It is VERY clear that the Leica CRF 1600 has a much more visably powerful (under night vision) laser.

So, my final determination:

The Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC Monocular LRF is a damn good buy if you want to range up to 1600 yards, and need the ability to range small close targets, continuously, or through brush.

It does do true distance angle compensation, but only to 800 yards. (So this means you are plugging in angle into your balistics software for extreme shots.)

Unlike other lense systems I was playing with out in the field tonight, the dew conditions did not fog the lenses.

For <$500 it's probably a really good overall purchase.

I tend to think that the Leice CRF 1600 is going to work well, so long as you get a working unit. (Which I did not...)

The Bushnell workings in bright light, hase, dark conditions (obviously), and is well built.

My only real critisism (sp):

I was able to burn out the battery by placing the unit in it's cloth carry case which was stored in my multicam bag / ruck. I placed the whole kit in a 6 magazine pouch, and that was enough to put pressue on the range button and deplete the battery.

Poor case design was really the cause of this. Hard plastic inserts in the front / back of the LRF case would have prevented this.

The only other comment: I couldn't beleive the battery was dead, so I swapped it with another slightly (or so I thought) used CR123. Turns out that the battery needs to be STRONG for it to operate the unit. I contacted Bushnell and they indicated that they was a life time warranty on the "Elite" series of products... but they have a <span style="font-style: italic">4 week turn around time!</span> So you'd best hope your unit doesn't break.

Ok,

Today I was able to get the Bushnell monocular to range to 1801 yards.

This was the same target as the Swaroski unit, but I noticed that the white surface of the rooftop and the heat mirage was causing it to not work.

I moved the unit to the edge of roof, and it worked without issue.

Interestingly the brush setting enabled the unit to ignore the trees it had tonshoot through, a feature the more expensive units don't have.

It IS clear that large amounts of relative humidity have an impact on getting reads.

GB,

I had to chime in on this and thank you for this thread. After researching the Bushnell 1600 ARC monocular and finding this thread, I called Scott at Liberty Optics, (who has been outstanding to work with by the way), and ordered one of these units. I ordered it Friday afternoon and Tuesday the unit arrived!! Scott is the man when it comes to customer service.

After opening the package, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the Bushnell LRF. Immediately I put the battery in and started ranging stuff. WOW!! My first shot was at a dry grass hillside, and instantly got the reading of 1103y. Conditions were bright sun at 6pm, I knew the yardages around my house on my range card surrounding me that I took with a Swaroviski unit, and they all jived with what the Bushnell was telling me. The only reading I could not get was a grass hillside that is at 1945y facing Northwest, where the sun damn near burned my eyeball.

Onto today, I have mil ranged a house from my parents driveway that I came up with 1750y. I grabbed the 1600 LRF and pinged the house, got an almost immediate reading of 1722y. From there I saw a shale/limestone ledge and lasered it, got a reading a couple nanoseconds later that said 1734y. Needless to say I was impressed, so I moved up from the ledge to a dry grass hillside, and got a reading of 1754y (on a dry grass hillside, impressive, very impressive)!! I moved up a little bit more and could not get a reading.

All of these readings were taken freehand, some of them possibly leaning against my truck. I did notice I was wobbling a little bit, so I could probably get the 1800y+ readings if I mounted it on a tripod.

Tonight I got home and saw to Rocky Mountain Sheep on the hillside behind my house, they weren't as far away as I would have hoped but I ranged them anyway and got a very repeatable 384y, instantly also.

My past experience(s) with LRF's include:

Leupy 1000y-Has really nice features, but maybe too many reticle, non important set up options. I did like the adjusted yardage feature with the angle reading. Very sub par optics.

Swarovski- Very nice glass!! Readings out to 1900y+ on a treeline, quick readouts, but no angle reading, no scan feature, no set up options to speak of (I dont mind this)

Bushnell 1600 LRF monocular-Glass was actually quite nice, much better than Leupy, very close to Swaro; Quick readouts, Scan Feature, Angle reading, very simple set-up, quick brightness adjustment, readings to 1750y (minor supported), 1/2 the price of the Swaro unit, and on price point with Leupy. Very Zeiss like styling, about the same size as the Swaro.

In my humble opinion, I am placing the Bushnell on the top of my list. Here are my reasons, Optics closer to Swaro than the Leupy unit, Excellent ranging capabilities (nearly/if not on par with Swaro and blows Leupy out of the water), Angle readout feature (not avail on the Swaro, but with all the negatives of the Leupy thier angle readout doesn't help at all if you can't get a reading passed 500y on the same grassy hillside as the Bushy was reading beyond 1000y).

In closing for the price point and features the Bushnell (in my opinion) is much more bang for the buck than the other 2 LRF's I have used as my baseline shootout.

Hope this helps others, the way this thread helped me. Also, I have to give a big thank you to Scott at L.O. for all he has done to help me throughout my learning curves!!

haha gbmaryland... i'm pursuing the same dream you are
    wink.gif
    i posted but i posted in the scopes section not this section... i wish i could move it over here? i have some pics of all i can range out on my deck. I'm supposed to get yet another leica 1600 that has been tested from leica themselves. I was thinking of the bushnell arc fusion 1600 bino's. But this one sounds great too!

In all honesty, the crew at Bushnell is kicking ass as of lately!!

I didn't notice until a buddy mentioned to me that all of my optics are Bushnell products. I currently own 2 HDMR's, FLP Excursion spotting scope, and now the 1600 LRF. These are all my go to optics. Granted, the spotting scope isn't the best glass (I am contemplating a MK4 with the Horus), but I think I will hold out for Bushnell to put this reticle in their spotting scope.

As of the last year (approx) Bushnell has really listened to feedback from the end users of their products, and put them into production.

I was asked in conversation "what type of scopes do I have on my rifles?" It was hilarious the look on the person's face when I said "Bushnell", I had to follow up my statement with a grin and "these are not your daddy's Bushnell's anymore."

Thank you Bushnell for stepping it up!!

Thanks for the review. I have really been interested in this unit since the shot show. I plan on making this my first laser range finder soon. Seems for the price range it can't be beat.

Thanks for the addtional review... very nice.

I think it's a good 1800 yard unit. I have found that I need a tripod to get distances that far out, but I have found that with most of the other units too. (Guess I don't have a steady hand... per se.)

The FUSION binocs have really bad glass compared to the monocular we're talking here... but, for the price, compared to the other manufacturers they are supposed to range really well.

I just wanted something no bigger than the Swarovski.

What model number are you guys referring to? I see a 205105 and a 205110 with the former being considerably cheaper. Does anyone know the difference between the two?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a review of the Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC Laser Range Finder.

It's been an adventure, and it's being compared to a probably malfunctioning Leica 1600 CRF.

Ok,

Pros:

- <span style="font-weight: bold">Inexpensive in relative terms, cost me $374.00</span>
    - Has a bright targeting circle that can be seen is bright light, and adjusted down for low light
    - Tells you the agle that you are aiming from.
    - Has target, brush, and no enhancement modes
    - Has a built in tripod mount
    - It's typically 99% accurate according to goole earth
    - Works without issue in heat marage up to 1000 yards on black targets
    - Works in very high humidity (in which all of these rangings we taken
    - Glass is nicer thanks the fusion binocs, which seem darker

Cons:

- Glass is not as nice as the Leica or the Sawaroski
    - Have yet to hit a seriously distant target, even using a tripod past 1400 yards.

Ok,

I started by ranging the following opbjects:

Object, LRF, Google Earth

High Tension Poles (light grey), 905 yards, 902 yards
    High Tension Poles (light grey), 689 yards, 686 yards
    Communicaions (cell) tower (black), 1204 yards, 1212 yards
    Large American Flag - Pole (white), 460 yards, 463 yards
    ELINT like attenia - small, metallic, 517 yards, 517 yards
    Large Red/White microware relay tower, 909 yards, 907 yards
    Large white water tower, 648 yards, 648 yards
    Treeline at further visable stretch, 1433 yards, 1460 yards

Basically, I find that if the unit was just a little smaller, it'd be perfect. So far, I'm see numbers are within 99% of the actualy distance as reported by google earth.

Starting point were determine by GPS and plugged into Google Earth to ensure accurate comparisons.

I think the Bushnell elite 1600 ARC may be a serious winner.

Gerhard </div></div>
    Where did you get it at that price?

How far u think it would pick up prairie dogs?

Not many rangefinders out there that will "pick up prairie dogs" very far out, the trick being to range the mound the prairie dogs are sitting on.

Having said that, I'd put the rangefinder in the Bushnell Fusion ARC 1600's I played with for a few days against anything else in the same class. Where they're lacking is when it comes to binoculars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What model number are you guys referring to? I see a 205105 and a 205110 with the former being considerably cheaper. Does anyone know the difference between the two? </div></div>

The 205105 is a golfing rangefinder while the 205110 is focused on a hunting/ shooting unit. I would guess that the actual ranging part are the same, but maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Great news, I was just checking the bushnell 1600 out, but was a little concerned, mainly due to the great price. Thanks for the info and reviews guys, just made my life a little less stressful trying to decide