• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite vs. Vortex PST FFP

mdmorrow

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2013
McKinney, TX
Anyone able to give me a comparison? I'm switching over to mils and currently have a 6-24 PST MOA. A fellow has offered to swap one of these for it:

Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

The main disadvantage I see to the bushnell is the lack of zero stops but other than that I feel that it might be the superior scope. I don't like how the vortex tunnels at the highest mag setting.

The bushnell costs a little more retail but otherwise they're pretty close. Both have good warranties as well. Vortex is probably a little better in that regard. I need to let this fellow know pretty quick so your input will be greatly appreciated.

I have both.

Vortex
Warranty is Awesome
Good glass
More advanced reticle
Zero Stop - (Shim style)

Bushnell
Glass is a bit clearer
Reticle is not as advanced
Warranty work can be interesting

The tactileness of the clicks will vary on scope to scope even with the same manufacturer. Same with parallax and focus. I personally have been switching all my scopes over to Vortex due to features, price, warranty and customer service.

For all the features, there is no comparison. Vortex wins this race... hands down. I would not give it another thought.

DK

I have the bushnell tactical elite 6-24x50 ffp with g2dmr reticle. Don't see how the g2dmr is lacking in any way. I think that the glass in all the higher end scopes are very hard to tell apart. It would be nice to have zero stops but I shoot mutiple loads so I am constantly fiddling anyway.

I should also mention that though a fan, my first bushnell had a problem but their customer support and exchange was no hassle.

Build the scope right the first time and you don't need a warranty. None of the top tier manufacturers can match Vortex's unconditional warranty but do you think they need it? I'm not sure how you can say the Vortex has more advanced reticles? Love it or hate it the G2, H59, and Tremorz2 are the top reticles out there. Even the Nightforce and S&B are offering the H59.

Had my Vortex Viper PST sent back several times due to illumination issues, glass haziness, and an erector issue. Switched over to Bushnell Elite Tacticals and have had none of these issues on two scopes.

Not sure how you can pick a hands down winner here with such limited information. Sounds like someone is drinking too much kool-aid.

Vortex needs good warranty service because under hard use they will eventually need it. The Bushnell with G2 reticles are the ones to beat and don't need the repair work like the Vortex scopes.

Would recommend Vortex Razor HD 5-20X 50mm with whichever reticle you prefer (most likely EBR-2B reticle from your description). Won't ever need another scope, since with good eyes you can get to 1 mile with this!

Guys pay attention. He is asking about 2 specific models not the entire Bushnell product line, not the gdmr2 etc. I'm comparing 2 the Scopes here he asked about. Not talking about 2-3k versions of another product line

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh look, another "Vortex scopes have a good warranty because they fail all the time" thread...

In my opinion, the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x and 6-24x G2DMRs purchased through Liberty Optics are better values than their PST FFP counterparts...unless zero stop and/or illumination are necessitates in which case the value proposition changes. Bushnell Elite Tacticals are highly underrated.

I do think Vortex scopes offer very good value considering their glass quality, features, tracking and yes, the warranty.

Bushnell - Bullet Proof Money Back Guarantee

Our Promise to you on the purchase of our performance optics.
We believe that you, the consumer, should make the final call on product performance. That’s why we offer our exclusive Bulletproof 100% Money Back Guarantee (the best in the business) on selected Bushnell products.*

If, for any reason, you’re not completely satisfied with your Bushnell product, return it-no questions asked for a full refund of the purchase price.

We promise that the performance will be like nothing you’ve ever experienced. But the best testimony will be your own. Try them today with absolutely no risk.

* Our Bulletproof 100% Money Back Guarantee is good on all Elite, Excursion EX, Legacy WP, Legend Ultra HD and Trophy XLT product families. Including binoculars, riflescopes, spotting scopes and hunting laser rangefinders.

Made the swap and couldn't be more pleased with the Bushnell. It's the BTR-Mil reticle. I was needing the illumination for hog hunting after dark. Fit, feel and glass are better than the vortex in my opinion. Haven't shot through it yet, it just showed up last night. Thanks for the input fellas, much appreciated.

I have all types of scopes. I choose Bushnell over Vortex if in the mid priced lineup. Vortex competes in the upper end I think but I have 4 Bush Elite scopes and never had any problems. Once a fixed 10X Elite fogged up for a little bit and then cleared out. Worked fine ever since. Mine hold zero and track fine. Glass is just fine, and it isn't a giant scope, all that is good enough for me.

Vortex is liked by many, and that's great. But as for now Bushnell would get my vote of those two.

Good luck!

I own a Bushnell Elite tactical fixed 10x, and a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50. Both are great scopes, with reliable tracking/zero. I love both scopes, but that damn Bushnell is a tough scope for $250.00. Too bad its lacking any features at all. But then again that's why its $250.00. Although its a fixed 10x, the glass is great I can see my holes puching in paper at 300 yards if the conditions are OK. Its a mil/mil scope, the turrets move nicely and the tracking is on point. I'm sure the other Bushnell Elite Tactical's are the same thing with more features. The Vortex is my new best friend but it cost me $900.00. Turrets are very crisp, glass is great, its FFP, illuminated reticle, adjustable parallax on the side, and it looks cool. If anyone tells you that a company would make a unconditional, transferable lifetime warranty because they think there scopes will fail, then I wouldn't take any advice from them seriously.. I would personally recommend either brand to somebody without hesitation

I don't entirely understand why the Bushy 6-24 FFP with illumination is only offered with the mildot reticle.
Maybe the G2DMR reticle is difficult to illuminate?

I have the G2DMR model and I suspect it's one scope I'll never sell.
Bang for the buck is quite high, even without illumination and zero stop.

Joe

I had a bushnellelite 3200 10x40 on my 50 beowulf the transitioned it over to my 45-70 buffalo classic it is an amazing scope and has taken a helluva beating

I don't entirely understand why the Bushy 6-24 FFP with illumination is only offered with the mildot reticle.

Joe
This is one of the scopes I'm looking at right now. I wish it had the illumination but I prefer the G2DMR reticle over the two other scopes above it with illumination. Plus, it saves a coupe hundred by going without the illumination. Win/win in my eyes.

Last edited:
Sightron 6-24 FFP scopes have now hit the market. Liberty Optics just posted yesterday that they are in stock.

I think they will be a good contender in this same price range. They have matching turrets with either Mil or MOA hash reticles and 120 moa of elevation. I didn't see illumination in these models though. If the glass is the same as the current SIII line I think it would be at the top of the group.

I like my Elite Tactical but I think the turrets are also have more consistent feedback on the SIII

Just something else to consider...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

If they are in the same price range.
MSRP is closer to SWFA SS 5-20 with illumination and DMR territory.
We'll see where street price comes in.

The Sightron turrets have better tactile feel but the knobs seem cheaper.
Glass is probably about the same, with Sightron maybe getting the edge (based on other SIIIs I've seen)

Sightron needs to improve their reticles before I'd consider one over a Bushy ET or a Viper PST.

Joe

The Sightron SIII 6-24x FFP MRAD has a mil-hash reticle and is about 50 bones more than the Bushy 6-24 FFP G2DMR from Liberty Optics.

We believe that you, the consumer, should make the final call on product performance. That’s why we offer our exclusive Bulletproof 100% Money Back Guarantee (the best in the business) on selected Bushnell products.*

If, for any reason, you’re not completely satisfied with your Bushnell product, return it-no questions asked for a full refund of the purchase price.

We promise that the performance will be like nothing you’ve ever experienced. But the best testimony will be your own. Try them today with absolutely no risk.

* Our Bulletproof 100% Money Back Guarantee is good on all Elite, Excursion EX, Legacy WP, Legend Ultra HD and Trophy XLT product families. Including binoculars, riflescopes, spotting scopes and hunting laser rangefinders.

I hope so, because I had to put your bullet proof guarantee to the test today. I bought a Buschnell model ET6245F that I mounted on a Phoenix Custom Rifles .338LM, sighted in at a local range and noticed a viscous substance that looked like drops of oil visible on the rhetical plane, I ignored it at first but a week later, I traveled 150 miles to a 1000yd range, and after about 20 rounds, noticed that not only had the amount of viscous material increased, but the parallax adjustment wasn't working, and the scope would not come to focus at any range. I removed the Buschnell and mounted a twenty year old Weaver V-16 that I took off of another rifle to finish my range session. I boxed it up and mailed it off to Buschnell today, with a note describing the problems, return address, and a $10 check for return shipping. The customer Service person I talked to said it would be four to six weeks turn around time. I have my fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly, hopefully I'll know something in the promised four to six weeks.
JDBraddy

Last edited:
I looked at both PST and bush et6245f. I feel bush et6245f is a better scope of the 2. Target looks a lot clear. Bushnell just feels better for me. Only thing I did not like is the eye piece. It is a lot smaller than my Nikon monarch x. I bought the Bush et6245f from a member here.
Both have good warranty and I have not have to use the bush warranty service at this time.

Made the swap and couldn't be more pleased with the Bushnell. It's the BTR-Mil reticle. I was needing the illumination for hog hunting after dark. Fit, feel and glass are better than the vortex in my opinion. Haven't shot through it yet, it just showed up last night. Thanks for the input fellas, much appreciated.

Nice to see this as I am constantly between a 2.5-10 PST or the 3-12 BTR MIL. I do like that reticle for an AR, and that is why I am pushing in that direction. Whenever you get some free time, think you could snap a couple through the lense photos with the illumination turned on? All other photos I have seen have been the CG images from Bushnell and SWFA.

Thanks much.

Its not even a debate. Quality Jap scope vs Cheap Phillipino scope
Vortex was great when they were the first to offer features found on sub $2K optics. However those that used them quickly understood why they have the "best warranty" in the industry. I would be supprised if the unit cost is 10% of MSRP. That buys a whole lotta replacements parts and scopes.

I have 2 V V PST FFP scopes and subsequently bought a Bushnell Elite FFP G2DMR 3,5-21X50 scope. I liked it so much I bought 2 more To my eyes the Bushnell Elite stands head and shoulders above my 2 Vortex Viper PST's.

The customer Service person I talked to said it would be four to six weeks turn around time. I have my fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly, hopefully I'll know something in the promised four to six weeks.

Bullet proof my ass. The first time I have waited for five weeks to take care of one non-serious issue was the last time I did business with Bushnell...

Bullet proof my ass. The first time I have waited for five weeks to take care of one non-serious issue was the last time I did business with Bushnell...

Serious or non-serious, the wait is the same.

The Bullet Proof warranty is a guarantee to refund the full purchase price of the scope if you're not satisfied with it.

The lifetime warranty is just that, a lifetime warranty. They handled my ET warranty work in about 5 weeks. Sorry to hear that wasn't fast enough for you.

Yea god Forbid you ever have to get one of those $3-7K European Optics Serviced.............6 months would be quick......

I had what I would consider a long turn around time when I sent in my vortex - 2 weeks from the day I mailed it. Most reports seem to indicate that one week is more common. (I sent mine over Labor Day weekend). I'd be ticked if it took 5 weeks too. That's why I own several Vortex scopes, even if the glass isn't quite as nice (under certain conditions).

I love my Elite Tactical 6-24, but I must tell you how I obtained it.

I originally had a 3-12 model, loved it, but somewhere down the line I had started having problems with it. Ignored it all I could, but the focus was just dead, perfect one minute then off the next, never got a clear view. I was having a custom rifle built, and had time to send it off, and didnt want a bad scope on my new gun. I sent it in, and within a week I had a notification sent to me the issue could not be resolved, and a new scope would have to take its place. They never asked any questions as far as if I done the damage, which I didnt, or what happened.

I called and spoke to a extremely helpful young lady who said that a brand new model 3-12 could be sent to me, no additional cost. So I questioned about upgrading to a 6-24x, and they said since it was a manufacturer problem I had with the original, they would upgrade, ship with warranty a brand new 6-24x for $80 because they still warranted the 3-12 at their $949 MSRP or whatever.

Funny thing is, I paid $599 for it on a close-out special at Midway....

In the short I have NEVER have owned a Vortex, but the way Bushnell helped me out, I cant help but love them.

I had a Bushy ET 6-24 G2 repaired recently. I talked to CS a couple times, and did not think things were progressing as quickly as they could and was frustrated. Then the scope showed up on my doorstep very quickly. I was really surprised at how quickly they got it fixed and sent back to me. I did let them know that I had a match at Woodys, and I needed it bad, and they came through for me. Thank you Bushnell.

I had a 3-12x44 (not the brand new one) and it was pretty nice. I decided that I wanted to upgrade to something higher powered and am trying their 100% bulletproof guarantee. Within a week I got a mail with a repair # so I can track the warranty. I have no idea what that actually means in terms of them writing me a check. Right now their web site has it saying that I owe them $859. Repair of $849 and shipping of $10.

Anyone else go through their bulletproof warranty?

I don't think I would buy Bushnell protective glasses let alone any of their optics. I've read too many horrible customer service issues over the years.

Given that Midway has their Weaver V-24's on sale right now for $280, and that I have a Weaver V-16 and a couple of T-36's that have served me well for more than 20 years, If Buschnell doesn't come through, I may just get another Weaver, and be content without the expensive "Tactical" garbage. It's sad to say, but the most expensive scopes I own, the Buschnell ET6245F and Leupold 4.5-14 with 30mm tube have been the scopes I've had problems with, and had to send back for warranty service. The less expensive, sub-$500 Weavers, Leupolds, and Sightrons, have all served me reliably without issue. Despite all the crowing here about the importance of investing in quality glass, both times I've taken that advice, and spent more, I've regretted doing so.

I just got back my 100% bulletproof guarantee money. It took about 4 weeks from the time I sent out the scope to when I received the check in the mail. It was pretty straight forward, just mailed them the scope in original packaging and the original receipt and included a letter with the reason why I didn't want it anymore.

Joe
Nope, it is just when you turn it on, you light up the entire scope and expose your position

You know that is confidence when they give you your money back no questions asked. What you pay is not what the company sold it for. They take a Huge loss when they do this, and I know of no other that does the same.

You know that is confidence when they give you your money back no questions asked. What you pay is not what the company sold it for. They take a Huge loss when they do this, and I know of no other that does the same.

That is pretty impressive.

Still liking my DMR. Although, I'm on the fence about getting another one, since the Gen II Razors are out. But I do like the G2 reticle, and def love the price.

Cobra; had no idea you were a fan of the Bushnell's....

Great promise. I have had several Bushnell products over the last 40 years. EVERY SINGLE ONE has let me down. Scopes,rangefinders, binoculars. My last was a Bushnell Scout 1000. The clarity of the electronic display in the scope is poor, even compared to the lowly Simmons that cost $80. If I leave the battery in it, it's dead in three weeks. I have to install a plastic insulator whenever I'm not using it to keep it from discharging the $15 battery. Maybe Bushnell is a great product, but then I just happen to get ALL the lemons? I don't think so. Bushnell has a big name because they have succeeded in milking the advertising/mass marketing moo cow. I think that Bushnell markets primarily garbage.

P
Great promise. I have had several Bushnell products over the last 40 years. EVERY SINGLE ONE has let me down. Scopes,rangefinders, binoculars. My last was a Bushnell Scout 1000. The clarity of the electronic display in the scope is poor, even compared to the lowly Simmons that cost $80. If I leave the battery in it, it's dead in three weeks. I have to install a plastic insulator whenever I'm not using it to keep it from discharging the $15 battery. Maybe Bushnell is a great product, but then I just happen to get ALL the lemons? I don't think so. Bushnell has a big name because they have succeeded in milking the advertising/mass marketing moo cow. I think that Bushnell markets primarily garbage.

Lol.

First post eh? Pray tell...

I don't understand why the bulletproof warranty takes so long. If mine shit out id send it back and ask for a full refund. Then either buy the same scope or something else. Why would this take 5 weeks? If 5 weeks is the shortest amount of time that tells me a lot of people are returning scopes for warranty work.

The viper pst is a good scope.

Mine has performed great and has nice clicks.

I've had 3 and all felt slightly different however, despite all functioning well. You will be happy with it in this price range.

Having said that I just bought a razor 5-20 that was on clearance. This is because I've been really impressed by my pst.

I don't understand why the bulletproof warranty takes so long. If mine shit out id send it back and ask for a full refund. Then either buy the same scope or something else. Why would this take 5 weeks? If 5 weeks is the shortest amount of time that tells me a lot of people are returning scopes for warranty work.

Today, I received a brand new (same model) scope in the mail. Exactly eight days after I mailed off the damaged scope. Any mass produced product will have it's share of defective units, and any company deserves a chance to make it right if one gets past there quality control and into your hands. If this one gives me any problems, I will probably ask for my money back in stead of a replacement next time, but so far, I have no complaint with Buschnell's customer service, and am looking forward to being able to put their product to good use!

I don't think I would buy Bushnell protective glasses let alone any of their optics. I've read too many horrible customer service issues over the years.

Buy no personal experience, right? Your just parroting what someone, somewhere may have said, whether true or not. Correct?

This is very difficult to argue with-in short, " man is that a guarantee or what!?". With that type of offer, I don't see how anyone can complain, that is the best in the business as far as I know. Thanks for the heads up.

This is very difficult to argue with-in short, " man is that a guarantee or what!?". With that type of offer, I don't see how anyone can complain, that is the best in the business as far as I know. Thanks for the heads up.

It's only good for a year or 2 depending on what time of year you buy the scope, though. After that it reverts to their standard lifetime warranty which seems to run about 5 weeks turnaround. That's a longer wait then some, shorter than others. I don't find it unreasonable.

I have both.

Vortex
Warranty is Awesome
Good glass
More advanced reticle
Zero Stop - (Shim style)

Bushnell
Glass is a bit clearer
Reticle is not as advanced
Warranty work can be interesting

The tactileness of the clicks will vary on scope to scope even with the same manufacturer. Same with parallax and focus. I personally have been switching all my scopes over to Vortex due to features, price, warranty and customer service.

the pst has less adjustment i believe...