• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell Excursion FLP tactical vs Leupold Mark 4 Mil-dot

bh-ltr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Eugene, OR
So back when Bushnell came out with the tactical version of their Excursion scope I felt it was a no brainer. Ended up with a nice compact spotter that had a reticle for a great price. I could go for a bit clearer glass and also feel like I need to be careful with it cause I've heard that when/if you ever send it in for work that you get back a scope with no reticle in it anymore. This would render the scope pretty well useless to me. I have a USO with the Mil Scale MPR reticle but my spotter doesn't like the reticle. I need to either end up with something with mil dots or perhaps P4/TMR something fairly simple like that.

Main question. Has anyone had a chance to look through a Mark 4 and a Busy Excursion side by side and what were your thoughts?

Then next. Does any one know about how many different models and versions of Mark 4's there are? Is a used one found on the market on par with the new ones of today?

Thanks gentlemen.

The Leupold MK4 spotter is awesome. I picked up the one from webyshops that was linked in another thread. It was definitely worth every penny. Several people have told me it was the clearest spotter they'd ever seen.

The Excursion model you're referencing was discontinued by Bushnell nearly 2 years ago. If you're able to find one, it will be used. I'd call Bushnell before plunking down your hard earned money toward one to verify they'll honor warranty work if needed.

Bushnell had planned on bringing out a replacement spotter to the Excursion FLP with a new reticle. There was even a Group Buy organized here (my company organized it) and we had nearly 40 spotters ordered from Bushnell. At the 11th hour, Bushnell canceled the entire project & canned the Excursion FLP w/Reticle. No reason was ever given, but my rep referenced issues with the optical companies contracted for production. Apparently there were major QC issues with the factory demos...

As far as a comparison with the Leupold, the MK4 is much better optically. The main draw to the Excursion FLP was the reticle and price point under $500.00. Optics were/are decent but noting spectacular. Save your coin for the MK4 and you'll have a great spotter.

Best of luck,
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

I already have the bushnell. What I'm wondering is if its worth spending money on a Mark 4 if I want to get a bit better resolution at longer ranges but I'm expecting some pretty impressive difference considering that the Mark 4 is 3+ times the cost.

I already have the bushnell. What I'm wondering is if its worth spending money on a Mark 4 if I want to get a bit better resolution at longer ranges but I'm expecting some pretty impressive difference considering that the Mark 4 is 3+ times the cost.

To MY eyes, the MK4 is much better image-wise compared to the Excursion FLP. Is it 3x better, only you can decide. I definitely think you'll see a marked improvement from a resolution standpoint at distance, but what may be a no brainer decision for one shooter (to upgrade to the MK4) might be heresy for another.

If you don't think the investment in the MK4 justifies the cost, then just sell it. You shouldn't have a problem finding a buyer here on the 'Hide...

I see a LOT of peripheral distortion in my Bushy. I doubt the Leupold has THAT.