• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21 on magnums ?

Nuttshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2008
Conway, South Carolina
Hey guys. I been running a HDMR on a AW for a couple years now and a bunch of the guys around me are running them. The thing is they are all on SA's. Well a buddy built him a 300 WM and since doing so has had a couple issues. Mostly with "dust" on the lenses. Now he is having tracking issues. The scope has had about 600 rounds or so of WM fired under it. Now I have a 300 WM as well and thought about a HDMR for it.

My friend sent his scope in to be cleaned and after coming back it seems like it will not track now.

Is any one else running a HDMR on a magnum and have you had any issues? If so what where they and did you send the scope in? Was the issue resolved after it was sent in?

Am I the only one who thinks the HDMRs are built kind of flimsy? I wouldn't mount one on anything bigger than a .308WIN. Works great on my SPR though :)

I have shot the snot out of one of the first run on a braked 7wsm with nary an issue. Just installed a new one on that same rifle after rebarrelling.

I have quite a number of rounds, and in some not so admirable conditions, on my DMR, with nary an issue. Now, it's on a 308; but I don't see where it'd be an issue on a magnum.

I'd still buy one and roll with it.

Bushnell builds them pretty strong in my opinion. Not only that but I have only heard great things about their warranty and CS. I will admit that although I have put a couple thousand rounds under mine, it has all been 308.

Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21 on magnums ?

The first Batch shipped has issues, this issue is the eyepiece lens getting what looks like dust on the inside of the lens. It's Actually the lens trying to work out of its seat and the debris from that collecting on the lens. They quickly changed this to a sealed lens with a polymer adhesive. If you send in a scope with this issue it should be replaced. There were only about 100 scopes with this issue and most have been replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Hdmr is built better than my mark four was. Seen a lot of mark fours fail.....

Threw one of mine on a buddy's 338 after his pst died on that rifle. I put about 75 rds of load work through it, no issues.

The first Batch shipped has issues, this issue is the eyepiece lens getting what looks like dust on the inside of the lens. It's Actually the lens trying to work out of its seat and the debris from that collecting on the lens. They quickly changed this to a sealed lens with a polymer adhesive. If you send in a scope with this issue it should be replaced. There were only about 100 scopes with this issue and most have been replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello George,

The scope was sent back due to the dust in the FOV. It came back clean but was definitely the same scope. Now it came back a couple weeks ago and has had 100 rds or so of 300 WM under it. We are starting to see dust particles again. That's not the issue as much as it seems like it is not tracking correctly since coming back.

I appreciate you chiming in as I know you have a lot of experience with these scopes. I was really more curious to see if any one else had had any issues with them on magnums as you don't see them on the big guns on here very much. Like I have said previously mine has work flawlessly on my AIAW.

Nutt

Threw one of mine on a buddy's 338 after his pst died on that rifle. I put about 75 rds of load work through it, no issues.

My buddy has put close to 600 rds of 300 WM through his with close to 1500 rds of 308 before that. When it was on the SA he never had a complaint. Once on the WM is when we started seeing issues.

This is a:

Badger 2013 LA that is currently barreled for 300 WM but he had planned on doing a 338 LM setup as well.

It did, I gave him some JB bore paste and it came back around- briefly.

It was struggling by round 300.

Last edited:
Thanks RED. I know he had a issue with the "donut" and that helped. Well hopefully I don't run into the same issues.

Don't hate on AI owners! :) Don't you know they are just status symbols?

Nutt

I have one on a 7mmRM, had one on a 6.5 SAUM, and a 300 WSM sans a hiccup. A buddy has one one a Barrett 50 with no trouble. I do have one of the originals that needs to go back with the dusty lens.

All of them break, I have broke nearly every brand of scope made except S&B and I only have one on a 308 so it is a small sample. The rifle that I will run at Woodies this weekend has one of the early HDMRs from before they were out and there is no way to know the round count. It was passed around at a special facility in N.C like a cheerleader during an undefeated season and I will not guess the 300wm rounds i have put on it. My Daughter and Son ran it an entire season on a 284 win, dialing every shot. and it continues on.

I have 1000+ of .260 and 100+ of 338LM on mine. Still tracks.

Mine got 3K rounds of 6.5 CM in less than a year with being a great scope. Hope you get yours figured out.

Running a DMR with mostly SA (308 & 223) but my XRS has had 500+ 300WM and 75+ 338LM with no issues so far. Both are built like tanks.

I am running a 6-24x50 on a 300wm. I have about 100 rds on it with no problem so far. I bought it used so not sure about before I got it.

Ryan

damn right, my mark 4 failed and I've seen four in one le on the le side fail. I switched to the hdmr trem2 and love. Its built built heavier the leupold.

i just orderd an hdmr with tremor 2 reticle for my 700p 300 win mag. i have had 2 burris xtr scopes break on this rifle. i thought something was wrong with the gun at first. took everything down and checked for loose parts and pillar contact because i just had it inletted for a dbm. checked rings and mount all seemed fine. put my swfa 10x42 on it and gum .5 to .75 groups again. it just does not seem like my 300 wm would be that much harder on a scope than a 308. i think there are often overlooked factors such as gun cases side loading turrets. or leupolds being pushed up agaist there zero stop. burris i think it is side loading the elevation turret trying to get that little allen wrench out of the rubber gromet to rezero the knobs. i always try to think of factors other than recoil that could cause the problem because any scope would be marginal at best if the heaviest recoil it could stand would be a 308. i love my 300 wm and consider it a very powerful round. but a guy with a barret 50 would laugh at me for that. just like a guy with a howitzer would laugh at a guy with a 50 thinking he had the biggest farthest shooting gun. what i mean is i do not think recoil breaks scopes on most common calibers. 50 not included. but a broken or marginally built or functioning scope may show problems worse on a heavier recoiling gun

Your 300WM isn't that hard on scopes but every phillipino made scope I've had has been a royal POS. Japanese made scopes are much better quality and hold up better, it's a proven fact.

I have one on a 7mmRM, had one on a 6.5 SAUM, and a 300 WSM sans a hiccup. A buddy has one one a Barrett 50 with no trouble. I do have one of the originals that needs to go back with the dusty lens.

I have one of the original group buy scopes with the dusty lens also. Glad to see it was an early issue that they will take care of. Hadnt wanted to go without mine for a few weeks but I need to send it in.

My Hdmr is built better than my mark four was. Seen a lot of mark fours fail.....

Been waiting for this. I have owned a dozen Leupold scopes from a lowly VX-II to a MK6. Have a VX-III that has been used HARD for 32 years. Not ONE of those scopes has ever had tracking issues or lost zero. I am really lucky I guess.
I will make this short and sweet, cause ya'll are gonna barbeque me...but I am in a masochistic mood tonight.
I recently had the opportunity to put my hands on an HDMR. Loved it, glass is great, reticle is great, turrets are nice, it is a beefy scope, looks to be well built. It was put on a 6.5 Creedmoor gasser with brake. In less than 20 shots it appeared to jump zero. Adjustments were made and everything seemed ok for another 10 or 15 shots. The next day a box test was done and the scope jumped zero on the 13th shot, adjustments were made and more shots made, again jumped zero.
This was the first one the guy had ever bought, and as I understand will be the last. I will spare the CS details, but they are not the shining rainbows and unicorn farts one is often led to believe. I had considered buying one...I will not now.

If the party in question wants to tell his story then so be it, until then BBQ is on me.

The quality with Leupold has gone down in most recent years. I will say there customer service was top notch, but it should not have failed. As far as the HDMR failing in the previous story, all I can say is that's the first I've heard of one failing. All these items are man made and subject to breaking, But the amount of issues is the problem and thats where Leupold has slipped. It's happened to many times with Leupold. I'm speaking from personal experience and from other professionals in law enforcement.

I'm not the type to make this a Di** measureing contest or to bash anyone. I'm just proving the truth and my experience. Take it or leave it :)

Seen a ton of pics with units running them on SCAR's (mostly MK20's). If they can handle the Recoil curve/impuse of a SCAR, they can handle just about anything.

I got one of the early HDMRs a couple of years ago and threw it on my DTA chambered in 338LM. After around 200 thru the side focus stopped working. I sent it on in to CS in Kansas and 4 months later I had a new scope. Honestly, the wait time really pissed me off as I had a couple hunts planned that forced me to go out and drop another $2500 on an optic. That said, however, once the current versions came around I did buy an ERS w/TReMoR and it's been golden...

I have had good luck with bushnell customer service. i sent in a millet scope. i promptly received a brand new in the box with all the accessories. i sold it because i did not like it but good service. i just bought the hdmr with the tremor 2 reticle for my 300 wm. i am so impressed with it that i am putting it on my 223 so i can get more time behind it. i can not find anything i do not like about it really.