• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell LRFs with ARC

onechance

Fleet Admiral
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
IN
Does anyone have experience with these LRF systems? I know it doesn't account for wind (from what I've been told), but how is it for accuracy and quick shots? I've got the Kestrel 4500NV with the Horus Atrag.

This ? may seem stupid, but I'm looking for something that may be quicker and figures hold over or under.

Re: Bushnell LRFs with ARC

I'm not sure what your question is.

I've got a Bushnell 1500 ARC, and my buddy has one bought from the same source (Cabelas) at the same time. His can range any given target type 300 yards further than mine....we've gotten metal reflective targets out to 1200 yds with his and mine will do nothing past 900 yds.

I should have returned mine.

The ARC gives you the "real" range on angled shots, with regards to drop. However, if there is significant wind drift which you must account for you need both -- the ARC range for bullet drop, and the linear range for wind drift. The way I handle it for long shots is to NOT use the ARC other than to give me the angle; I use the linear range and angle with a pre-printed chart to give me the correct drop and wind drift.

On a 670 yd shot in the mountains at a steep angle (forget the angle but target was a good 600-800ft above me), this worked well for me.

So IMHO the ARC function -- aside from archery or sub-400yd rifle shooting -- is only good for giving you the angle reading. If I were to buy another LRF now I'd get a Leica or other quality unit that could range as far as my guns can shoot.