• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell Nitro 1800 LRF rolling review and field testing

Follow up with extended inclement weather use

1. Took it to Core/Altus Shooting solutions for field testing in late July. Temp 95 deg F, humidity 83%, sunny, DA 1500,

1.a. Left it out on the table from 9AM - Noon, used it to verify known distance targets. Distances were spot on and quick to return distance, inclination, and windage/elevation out to 940 yards.
1.b. No heat soak issues. Turned on instantly, LED info bright and legible without washout.

2. Today is wet and rainy from Tropical Storm Marco, so no range day but got a chance to play around with the LRF in the back yard.

2.a. Able to range to 196 yards through moderate showers on first lase. Rain intensity ~5/10 (IMHO scale).
2.b. Able to range to 196 yards through mist in-between rain showers on first lase.
2.c. Able to range from 38 yards (tree leaves) to 196 yards (trees at a distance through a ~2'x3' opening in the foliage). First lase hits.

Overall assessment: the Bushnell Nitro 1800 is a high value LRF with capabilities to lase standard IPSC and 16" steel gongs out to 940 yards. In my testing it worked well in hot environments with good LRF accuracy in rain, mist, and through foliage.

What I'd like to find out: Performance in cold and snowy environments, maximum practical distance for reflective and non-reflective targets, long term durability, performance during match/hunting conditions (ie: is it faster to lase and get elevation/wind data and verbalize to shooter vs. using traditional spotter/shooter communication or other integrated LRF/DOPE systems)

YMMV, happy shooting.

A few notes I'll add to your observations - In my experience, Altus can be rough on LRFs - not sure if it's just due to brightness, UV, color of the berms, or what. Your experience with the Nitro matches up with mine on performance, though.

For usable distance, I was getting consistent hits on steel at Alabama Precision at 1250 or so (Can't remember for sure), and that's the furthest steel I have been able to try. I'm hopefully going to be able to remember to try it out at Arena when I am there for the AG Cup in October. I've also been able to consistently lase buildings at 1300+ and a semi-glossy water tower at 2k.

For match/hunting conditions, I think the real money is going to be pairing the 1800 with a Kestrel 5700 and HUD. Using that combo resulted in data appearing on the HUD within ~3 seconds of lasing the target without even having to touch my Kestrel - it was hanging off my belt in a AG Kestrel pocket.

I'm not sure I have ever seen one in person that's that old, to be honest. Given the way LRF tech has moved the last couple years, I'd say it's time to take advantage of that discount and upgrade.

Read through this thread last night. One thing you said caught my attention and I had a good chuckle over it.

^^^^^ That was your reply to this:

20200825_063858.jpg

Ha!! 2007? I've got the original, made in the USA Bushnell 400 and it still works better than advertised.
Here's a pic of it.

20180716_163645.jpg

Sitting next to a 700VS from that mid nineties era.

20180716_163622.jpg

I brought the Bushy out to a friend's lease a few months ago and was able to range cattle out to 625.
It's big, it's old and it's still performing. Crazy, right?

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
A few notes I'll add to your observations - In my experience, Altus can be rough on LRFs - not sure if it's just due to brightness, UV, color of the berms, or what. Your experience with the Nitro matches up with mine on performance, though.

For usable distance, I was getting consistent hits on steel at Alabama Precision at 1250 or so (Can't remember for sure), and that's the furthest steel I have been able to try. I'm hopefully going to be able to remember to try it out at Arena when I am there for the AG Cup in October. I've also been able to consistently lase buildings at 1300+ and a semi-glossy water tower at 2k.

For match/hunting conditions, I think the real money is going to be pairing the 1800 with a Kestrel 5700 and HUD. Using that combo resulted in data appearing on the HUD within ~3 seconds of lasing the target without even having to touch my Kestrel - it was hanging off my belt in a AG Kestrel pocket.

Hollywood 6mm,
I did not have access to the Seekins tower to test it out to 1064 at Altus that day, so 940 lase on steel targets was not a test for max effective or max practical range.
When I spoke to Mike and Spencer, they were bulldozing to get the range to stretch out to 1200. Hope to get a chance to do more testing at longer ranges soon.
When you refer to the HUD, are you talking about the Revic system? If so, a reasonable and value oriented 2 person set-up might look something like this:

Shooter: Revic glass Linked to the Bushnell for elevation and windage
Spotter: Bushnell Nitro LRF, Kestrel 5700, Spotting scope with LRF and Kestrel mount on a tripod

Which reminds me... is a Bushnell Nitro LRF tripod mount commercially available?

YMMV, happy shooting.

Read through this thread last night. One thing you said caught my attention and I had a good chuckle over it.

^^^^^ That was your reply to this:

View attachment 7407521

Ha!! 2007? I've got the original, made in the USA Bushnell 400 and it still works better than advertised.
Here's a pic of it.

View attachment 7407523

Sitting next to a 700VS from that mid nineties era.

View attachment 7407524

I brought the Bushy out to a friend's lease a few months ago and was able to range cattle out to 625.
It's big, it's old and it's still performing. Crazy, right?
Mike,
Nice. Last week I thought to my self, "they don't make them like they used to" when I unpacked and set up my Onkyo 5.1 Dolby system from ~2001. Listening to Mumford & Sons, Live at the Red Rocks disc brought back good vibes. The Sonos, Alexa and TV soundbars were green with envy.
YMMV, happy shooting.

Mike,
Nice. Last week I thought to my self, "they don't make them like they used to" when I unpacked and set up my Onkyo 5.1 Dolby system from ~2001. Listening to Mumford & Sons, Live at the Red Rocks disc brought back good vibes. The Sonos, Alexa and TV soundbars were green with envy.
YMMV, happy shooting.

I still run my pair of Kef 104/2 I bought back in 87.
The NAD amps died from too many brown outs, so I'm stuck with a 2010 timeframe Denon AV receiver.
I do have a very old NAD reciever in my garage pushing some bookshelf 6.5" JBLs.
Good stuff is good stuff

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
Hollywood 6mm,
I did not have access to the Seekins tower to test it out to 1064 at Altus that day, so 940 lase on steel targets was not a test for max effective or max practical range.
When I spoke to Mike and Spencer, they were bulldozing to get the range to stretch out to 1200. Hope to get a chance to do more testing at longer ranges soon.
When you refer to the HUD, are you talking about the Revic system? If so, a reasonable and value oriented 2 person set-up might look something like this:

Shooter: Revic glass Linked to the Bushnell for elevation and windage
Spotter: Bushnell Nitro LRF, Kestrel 5700, Spotting scope with LRF and Kestrel mount on a tripod

Which reminds me... is a Bushnell Nitro LRF tripod mount commercially available?

YMMV, happy shooting.

No, I was referring to the Kestrel Heads Up Display. The Kestrel 5700 connects to the LRF and the HUD at the same time, so the flow runs like this - LRF pings target, feeds range to Kestrel. Kestrel does ballistics solving, passes data to LRF for correction and also passes data to Heads Up Display.

MK Machining (@Tyler Kemp) makes a tripod mount for the Nitro. He actually borrowed mine to do the test fitting, etc.

I'll have to check out MKM. Looks 3-D printed, any concerns about durability of the tripod mounting point?
Otherwise looks good.

With just playing with it I also just noticed when using with an Arca mount (well at least the one I have) it only slides in forward/backwards...

like below... it won’t fit if I turn it 90 degrees.

image.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
Yep, it's printed!

No, you won't break it. It's a nylon 6,66, a far cry from standard printing. Imagine a zip tie about 30x as thick :)

The mount will only fit 1 way on an Arca clamp due to the limitations of FDM printing, it wouldn't turn out nicely without a flat surface for printing.

We could print this via some more expensive tech, but the mount would likely be $60, however would look better than molded and allow Arca all around.

Yep, it's printed!

No, you won't break it. It's a nylon 6,66, a far cry from standard printing. Imagine a zip tie about 30x as thick :)

The mount will only fit 1 way on an Arca clamp due to the limitations of FDM printing, it wouldn't turn out nicely without a flat surface for printing.

We could print this via some more expensive tech, but the mount would likely be $60, however would look better than molded and allow Arca all around.
@Tyler Kemp please don’t get me wrong... super excited to get this mount up and running. Its for sure a solid piece. Thank you

If anyone is interested..you can 3D print the Sig Kilo mount and tweak it with a propane torch to fit the nitro 1800.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_171439140.jpg
    IMG_20200921_171439140.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20200921_171423047.jpg
    IMG_20200921_171423047.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200921_171444290.jpg
    IMG_20200921_171444290.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200921_174010528.jpg
    IMG_20200921_174010528.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: bunsen27
Wow, stumbled across this and I'm in the market for a rangefinder. Though also for binos. I had been looking at Kilo 3000BDX as I've been told it's "the" way to go, but this may be the ticket. Especially as I realize I'm poor. Garmins, HUDs from Kestrel, sheesh. This is getting more expensive than car racing...quickly. Personally, I like the federated approach with separate binoculars since good glass slowly looses it's "technology" edge. Seems these rangefinders and Kestrels just keep getting better and better.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Wow, stumbled across this and I'm in the market for a rangefinder. Though also for binos. I had been looking at Kilo 3000BDX as I've been told it's "the" way to go, but this may be the ticket. Especially as I realize I'm poor. Garmins, HUDs from Kestrel, sheesh. This is getting more expensive than car racing...quickly. Personally, I like the federated approach with separate binoculars since good glass slowly looses it's "technology" edge. Seems these rangefinders and Kestrels just keep getting better and better.
BytorJr,
Sometimes good is good and appreciates with time (Winchester rifles pre '64). Sometimes things don't age well (my AR builds).
With the influx of electronics into the shooting world, I have to take careful consideration at what I purchase, else I'll be completely broke or in trouble with the CFO of the house.

The Everyday Sniper conversations about stacking software on top of software is especially relevant as equipment starts talking to each other. If using the Kestrel Link and the Nitro 1800 in ABE mode, it will pair with the AB software in the Kestrel, thus avoiding the stacking software problem.

Although I would love to have a Vectronix Terrapin, the reality for me is that the range I shoot at does not go out past 1200 and my 6.5 CM will not likely reliably reach much past that. So I made the decision to match the capabilities of my rifle and range to the LRF. In my mind, the LRF issue can become synonymous to buying a bigger boat than you need.... then comes the larger truck, higher maintenance cost, bigger storage/dock, etc...

IMHO, the Bushnell Nitro 1800 LRF is a good value and a good match for rifles/ranges out to 1200 yards. It performs well after the user learns to work with the idiosyncrasies. But once mastered, it has been reliable, durable, and accurate enough for my uses. Lastly, Bushnell really has not marketed this product well and even reviews on YouTube are hard to find, but on the flip side, they are relatively cheap.

YMMV, happy shooting.

BytorJr,
Sometimes good is good and appreciates with time (Winchester rifles pre '64). Sometimes things don't age well (my AR builds).
With the influx of electronics into the shooting world, I have to take careful consideration at what I purchase, else I'll be completely broke or in trouble with the CFO of the house.

The Everyday Sniper conversations about stacking software on top of software is especially relevant as equipment starts talking to each other. If using the Kestrel Link and the Nitro 1800 in ABE mode, it will pair with the AB software in the Kestrel, thus avoiding the stacking software problem.

Although I would love to have a Vectronix Terrapin, the reality for me is that the range I shoot at does not go out past 1200 and my 6.5 CM will not likely reliably reach much past that. So I made the decision to match the capabilities of my rifle and range to the LRF. In my mind, the LRF issue can become synonymous to buying a bigger boat than you need.... then comes the larger truck, higher maintenance cost, bigger storage/dock, etc...

IMHO, the Bushnell Nitro 1800 LRF is a good value and a good match for rifles/ranges out to 1200 yards. It performs well after the user learns to work with the idiosyncrasies. But once mastered, it has been reliable, durable, and accurate enough for my uses. Lastly, Bushnell really has not marketed this product well and even reviews on YouTube are hard to find, but on the flip side, they are relatively cheap.

YMMV, happy shooting.
Thanks for the reply. Well, my immediate range is ~400 yards (hardly need a finder), CMP is 600, and I've never been to the range in TN that's a mile and I don't have anything that's going to shoot a mile anyway. 1000-1200yds would be my absolute max and that's if I hand loaded and I don't; and for foreseeable future wont - garage space limited, and...no primers.

Sheesh, it never ends. I bought cleaning shit today, springs (never can have enough springs) and now I'm poor again.

I'm very happy with my Bushy LRTSi (and non "i"). Though i wish I wasn't so cheap and would have bought 2 of the "i" and another 1-8.5x from Doug.

Updated range report. 12/13/2020.

This month I shot at Altus' new steel target range and lased steel targets of various sizes (kangaroos, coyotes, mini and full IPSCs) out to 1166 yards hand-held.
No drama, first or second lase results, others with mid-grade LRFs were surprised at how quickly it ranged. Linked it with the Kestrel and had dope out to 300 yards shooting the 22LR (dialing + holding 15.6 mils and 1.8 mils wind). I got lucky and hit 9/10 on the stage.

I am curious to see if this will range past 1200+ with a tripod.

YMMV, happy shooting.

Updated range report. 12/13/2020.

This month I shot at Altus' new steel target range and lased steel targets of various sizes (kangaroos, coyotes, mini and full IPSCs) out to 1166 yards hand-held.
No drama, first or second lase results, others with mid-grade LRFs were surprised at how quickly it ranged. Linked it with the Kestrel and had dope out to 300 yards shooting the 22LR (dialing + holding 15.6 mils and 1.8 mils wind). I got lucky and hit 9/10 on the stage.

I am curious to see if this will range past 1200+ with a tripod.

YMMV, happy shooting.

Shoot me a PM if you want to try it out with the MKM mount. Easiest thing would probably be meeting you at Altus.

Sold my sig kilo 2200 and looking at picking this up for the ability to pair to my kestrel. Also looks like I may get a bit more range out of it than the 2200 (2200 was done on steel targets by ~850y)

Anyone had any issues or warranty probs? My 2200 got replaced once in the 6 months I used it by sig.

Sold my sig kilo 2200 and looking at picking this up for the ability to pair to my kestrel. Also looks like I may get a bit more range out of it than the 2200 (2200 was done on steel targets by ~850y)

Anyone had any issues or warranty probs? My 2200 got replaced once in the 6 months I used it by sig.

I've not had any issues with mine, nor heard of anyone with any.

Good to hear they are running well. Aside from this thread, there's not a lot of info out there.

I, too, am thinking about picking up one of these. I already have a couple of good LR's (a Conx and a Leica 1600b), and a couple of Kestrels (4500 and 5700). The 5700 can be effective with either LR, while the 4500 requires an App to intercede with them. None of the resulting workflows are particularly streamlined, and I don't like relying on Bluetooth connections in the field.

So, I'm thinking, the one device one always needs, even on a calm day, is the rangefinder, so why not have the solver reside in that? I'm envisioning refreshing atmospheric data as needed via the Bushnell app, and leaving the wind value locked at 10 mph/3:00. If there is a wind I'll use my 4500 to find the crosswind component, and use it to scale the predicted 10 mph drift value. Should be a fairly quick process.

In my neighborhood, a half mile shot at a coyote is about the longest opportunity to be had. So, I don't have a lot of need for values such as coriolis, spin drift, and AJ. If I upgrade the 1800 to Sportsman or Elite, can I turn those features off?

My limited understanding of the internal software is that when linked, the Nitro 1800 will display what the kestrel calculates so yes, you can turn off spindrift and aerodynamic jump.

For my use, the beauty of the system is that I can put the kestrel on a $30 tripod and it'll give me distance and wind calls to read back to my shooting partner without juggling electronic devices which allow for faster and more accurate communications. Wind calls obviously are only at the shooter's position so it may or may not be accurate out at distance. This will depend on conditions and terrain so take it for what it's worth, but in my limited experience, it is a ~60% solution up to 600 yards. Wind call at long distances is definitely an art form.

YMMV, happy shooting

First question: Is there any benefit to upgrading the 1800 to the elite level if I plan to get a kestrel 5700 elite to pair it with?

Second question: if I upgraded the 1800 to elite and connected to a 5700 link without elite, would the more basic ballistics calculator in the kestrel override the elite in the 1800?

Last edited:
Not much benefit for upgrading the 1800 if you are going to get the Kestrel anyways.
If you plan to use them separately, I suppose there may be a use case, but then the software in the 1800 only gives elevation without taking temp, humidity, density altitude, etc into account. Might as well use a piece of painter's tape with DOPE written out on the side of the stock if that's the case.

The settings for internal AB software and bluetooth linked AB software are different settings. You'll get the internal software setting if there is no link. If you are linked, you'll be able to choose either one. But if you use the internal AB software, again, you won't have the advantages of the kestrel correcting for atmospheric conditions and wind (if you use the kestrel in live mode in the weather vane mount).

At least that's how I have it set in my set up and firmware.

YMMV, happy shooting

Hello guys,

I have a question. So, I have Nitro 1800 and Kestrel 5700 Elite. I am considering if upgrading Nitro 1800 to Sportsman is beneficial for me. If I do upgrade, considering I don't have my Kestrel with me, can Nitro 1800 give ballistic solution over 800 meters without needing the app or must I use it with the phone app for longer distances? I know the Nitro gets the weather data from the app but I would like to understand if it can in the worst case scenario provide dope values over 800 meters standalone. (like it can provide these values below 800 meters whether connected to the app or not)

Hello guys,

I have a question. So, I have Nitro 1800 and Kestrel 5700 Elite. I am considering if upgrading Nitro 1800 to Sportsman is beneficial for me. If I do upgrade, considering I don't have my Kestrel with me, can Nitro 1800 give ballistic solution over 800 meters without needing the app or must I use it with the phone app for longer distances? I know the Nitro gets the weather data from the app but I would like to understand if it can in the worst case scenario provide dope values over 800 meters standalone. (like it can provide these values below 800 meters whether connected to the app or not)
Yes, it will hold the data internally. I believe after several months of not connecting via Bluetooth to your phone it will ask you to reconnect. It is still based on ballistic and weather data from the last phone or kestrel connection.

Reactions: hedehede81
Hello guys,

With the Elite Upgrade yes, with the Sportsman/Ultralite Upgrade no. That is one of the benefits of getting the Elite upgrade.

Reactions: hedehede81
With the Elite Upgrade yes, with the Sportsman/Ultralite Upgrade no. That is one of the benefits of getting the Elite upgrade.
are you 100% positive on this? I am trying to justify the upgrade cost since I already paid for 5700 elite and wouldn't want to pay $150 more if possible. $50 upgrade for Sportsman seems the sweet spot for me since I don't shoot more than 1500 meters anyway but if only Elite upgrade provides standalone data over 800 meters I might re-consider.

are you 100% positive on this? I am trying to justify the upgrade cost since I already paid for 5700 elite and wouldn't want to pay $150 more if possible. $50 upgrade for Sportsman seems the sweet spot for me since I don't shoot more than 1500 meters anyway but if only Elite upgrade provides standalone data over 800 meters I might re-consider.
Double Checked
Sportsman Upgrade: 1600 Meters and adds
Spin Drift
Coriolis
Sight Height

Elite upgrade: 2000 Meters and adds
Aerodynamic Jump
Custom Drag Models <--- What makes it most worth it
Personal Drag Models <--- What makes it most worth it
Zero Offset
MV Temp Table
Sight Scale Factor
Moving Targets
Target Speed Estimator

So, I am looking into upgrading my Nitro 1800 to Elite. Is there any way to get a discount on this $150 for Elite upgrade? Like, Black Friday sales (I can wait), discount codes etc?

I just upgraded Mine to sportsman but the app hasn't updated. Do you need to pair it to the LRF for the update to take effect on the app? Also will the upgrade allow you to change your twist rate?
Could you please check something for me? You know, the stock Nitro 1800 (not upgraded) cannot give Ballistics solutions after 800 meters. I am wondering if your upgraded (Sportsman) Nitro 1800 can give Ballistic solutions, say for 1000 meters, when not connected to app, only ranging with the rangefinder. I would like to carry 1 device (not phone) and still want to be able to get dope values only with the rangefinder.

So, I am looking into upgrading my Nitro 1800 to Elite. Is there any way to get a discount on this $150 for Elite upgrade? Like, Black Friday sales (I can wait), discount codes etc?
You would have to ask Bushnell. This is their system.

Could you please check something for me? You know, the stock Nitro 1800 (not upgraded) cannot give Ballistics solutions after 800 meters. I am wondering if your upgraded (Sportsman) Nitro 1800 can give Ballistic solutions, say for 1000 meters, when not connected to app, only ranging with the rangefinder. I would like to carry 1 device (not phone) and still want to be able to get dope values only with the rangefinder.
Sportsman and Elite can give 1000 meter solutions without the phone. Stock cannot.

What's about the max distance to reliably range dirt/ rocks/ sage brush with the Nitro? That's mostly the features around the areas where I hunt.