• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell Nitro 1800 LRF rolling review and field testing

I am looking for one with more power, I can't see this one being better than the ConX, $599 Vs $350 at the time of release pricing, I have used the ConX for hunting and Comps and it works well But it is better suited to Hunting purposes I have ranged sheep out close to 900y and deer out past 1650yds, At the time of it's release it was way ahead of the crowd because of it's connectivity etc but now they have all copied it,

I wished Bushnell would come out with a 3000m+ (3500m) ConX II, every one else can manage it while Bushnell give us something like the Nitro, Leupold have done it, Sig have done it, Lieca have done and G7 did long before any of them, As a loyal Bushnell Champion I feel that they just let too many years slip by before the next piece of inspiration which is why I am looking at Vectronix,

We have dozens of choices when it comes to LRF's that can do what the nitro can do, So please don't try and tell us this thing is better than the ConX when it is half the cost, because in your own words it doesn't even have a tripod mount and that dark display isn't going to be worth a rats backside in dark woodland and the whole thing lacks the Tactical features of the ConX,

In the EU we pay a lot more than US customer do as expected, But saying that I would rather spend the big bucks on the real deal LRF than just another re-hash of same old same old,

Thanks But No Thanks.

I am looking for one with more power, I can't see this one being better than the ConX, $599 Vs $350 at the time of release pricing, I have used the ConX for hunting and Comps and it works well But it is better suited to Hunting purposes I have ranged sheep out close to 900y and deer out past 1650yds, At the time of it's release it was way ahead of the crowd because of it's connectivity etc but now they have all copied it,

I wished Bushnell would come out with a 3000m+ (3500m) ConX II, every one else can manage it while Bushnell give us something like the Nitro, Leupold have done it, Sig have done it, Lieca have done and G7 did long before any of them, As a loyal Bushnell Champion I feel that they just let too many years slip by before the next piece of inspiration which is why I am looking at Vectronix,

We have dozens of choices when it comes to LRF's that can do what the nitro can do, So please don't try and tell us this thing is better than the ConX when it is half the cost, because in your own words it doesn't even have a tripod mount and that dark display isn't going to be worth a rats backside in dark woodland and the whole thing lacks the Tactical features of the ConX,

In the EU we pay a lot more than US customer do as expected, But saying that I would rather spend the big bucks on the real deal LRF than just another re-hash of same old same old,

Thanks But No Thanks.

I've run the ConX and Nitro side by side, and the Nitro absolutely has better ranging capabilities than the ConX. Aftermarket tripod mounts will likely be available soon.

As for a ConX II... who knows what you might see in the future.

I've run the ConX and Nitro side by side, and the Nitro absolutely has better ranging capabilities than the ConX. Aftermarket tripod mounts will likely be available soon.

And that last part you said there is why I just can't make up my mind. I know as soon as I buy one (any of em), there will be a more appealing model hit the street the next day. Lol

Reactions: MilDot1960

My knowledge of the ConX comes from 000's of hours of testing and I had to use my own money to buy it and I was one of the first people here to really stretch it's legs, My ConX was/is more than exceptable and it will range Coyotes out to around 1430y and trees out past 1550y and more and smallish Deer past 1650 and Rocks at over a Mile,

Again based on Bushnells pricing I don't believe that the Nitro is better than the ConX, As I said $599 Vs $350, And it should not be down to after market companies to bail out Bushnell because of their lack of fore sight in providing one of their own products with a mounting point, We saw this very same subject back when the Sig 1600/1800s were released and that means it's another piece of junk to have to carry about or break or loose.

So far all of my rangefinders have been Bushnell and I have waited 3 or 4 years for them to come up with a product that can compete with the likes of Sig and G7 and Lieca, Leupold LRF's have always under performed but even they have something that is streets ahead of what bushnell has on offer when it comes to power, I paid equal to $900 for my ConX Cash, It's Great for hunting and Tactical use which is where it really excels So for my intended purpose it still ticks all the boxes,

And no matter what bushnell might or might not have on the test bench I have waited over 3 years for them to come up with the goods, So enough is enough I will be buying the Terrapin-X, I just want something that will work for long range shooting, Hunting and Mapping etc.

Bushnell were on a major breakthrough when they come up with the ConX but they let every other company use it and jump ahead, Remembering that it was Bushnell who gave us the Pocket LRF in the first place and here they are again for the second time in 3 years behind the 8 ball, Still trying to get us to buy medium range Rangefinders,

Someone needs to tell them that they do not know best and that the world of Shooting has evolved and more and more people are now shooting out past 2,3 and 4000yds and if an LRF can't hit those ranges 98.9% of the time every time then nearly all of the people here won't buy it, If the ConX could of hit 2500/2800yds they would of sold 10X the amount maybe more than they did,

Sorry mate but that's the cold hard facts and we have a lot more options open to us now than we did 3 years ago,, Sig make at leased 4, Lieca have 3 Mono's plus Binos, Leupold, and Steiner, G7, Swarovski, Nikon and Vectronix Theres over 8 brands with over 20 different long range LRF's just to name a few. And bushnell does not have a single answer to counter any of those products.

Reactions: Guiseppe83
And that last part you said there is why I just can't make up my mind. I know as soon as I buy one (any of em), there will be a more appealing model hit the street the next day. Lol

Don't expect to see anything in that range for a while.

My knowledge of the ConX comes from 000's of hours of testing and I had to use my own money to buy it and I was one of the first people here to really stretch it's legs, My ConX was/is more than exceptable and it will range Coyotes out to around 1430y and trees out past 1550y and more and smallish Deer past 1650 and Rocks at over a Mile,

Again based on Bushnells pricing I don't believe that the Nitro is better than the ConX, As I said $599 Vs $350, And it should not be down to after market companies to bail out Bushnell because of their lack of fore sight in providing one of their own products with a mounting point, We saw this very same subject back when the Sig 1600/1800s were released and that means it's another piece of junk to have to carry about or break or loose.

Personally, I never had performance like that from my ConX, but I also live in an area where it's bright as hell year round with high humidity - a lot of LRFs seem to suffer here.

Also, pricing isn't everything. A lot has changed the last few years with LRFs.

The Nitro was originally intended for hunting applications, which is why the tripod mount was omitted. It's only been an issue to the long range crowd, and the aftermarket is going to fix that. The issue has already been beaten to death.

As for the rest, you realize I am not an employee of Bushnell, right? I can tell you that they are aware of the points you're bringing up, but ranting at me here on SH isn't going to make things happen any faster.

Not sure if you got the only good conx or what. I tried to range cows at 800 with mine

So far all of my rangefinders have been Bushnell and I have waited 3 or 4 years for them to come up with a product that can compete with the likes of Sig and G7 and Lieca, Leupold LRF's have always under performed but even they have something that is streets ahead of what bushnell has on offer when it comes to power, I paid equal to $900 for my ConX Cash, It's Great for hunting and Tactical use which is where it really excels So for my intended purpose it still ticks all the boxes,

And no matter what bushnell might or might not have on the test bench I have waited over 3 years for them to come up with the goods, So enough is enough I will be buying the Terrapin-X, I just want something that will work for long range shooting, Hunting and Mapping etc.

Bushnell were on a major breakthrough when they come up with the ConX but they let every other company use it and jump ahead, Remembering that it was Bushnell who gave us the Pocket LRF in the first place and here they are again for the second time in 3 years behind the 8 ball, Still trying to get us to buy medium range Rangefinders,

Someone needs to tell them that they do not know best and that the world of Shooting has evolved and more and more people are now shooting out past 2,3 and 4000yds and if an LRF can't hit those ranges 98.9% of the time every time then nearly all of the people here won't buy it, If the ConX could of hit 2500/2800yds they would of sold 10X the amount maybe more than they did,

Sorry mate but that's the cold hard facts and we have a lot more options open to us now than we did 3 years ago,, Sig make at leased 4, Lieca have 3 Mono's plus Binos, Leupold, and Steiner, G7, Swarovski, Nikon and Vectronix Theres over 8 brands with over 20 different long range LRF's just to name a few. And bushnell does not have a single answer to counter any of those products.

Not sure if you got the only good conx or what. I tried to range cows at 800 with mine. No go. The farthest I could get on a giant windmill was around 1000. I tried ranging steel at 1020 and it took some work to line the tripod up properly. The numbers you put out for wildlife are NOWHERE near what i get. I set the tripod up in the morning one day and got 1300 on a large patch of trees. I have never gotten anything more than that, with or without a tripod.

Not sure if you got the only good conx or what. I tried to range cows at 800 with mine

Not sure if you got the only good conx or what. I tried to range cows at 800 with mine. No go. The farthest I could get on a giant windmill was around 1000. I tried ranging steel at 1020 and it took some work to line the tripod up properly. The numbers you put out for wildlife are NOWHERE near what i get. I set the tripod up in the morning one day and got 1300 on a large patch of trees. I have never gotten anything more than that, with or without a tripod.

Mine was able to range IPSC steel at 1k, but that was about the extent of it. I could range larger objects at longer distances, though.

Don't expect to see anything in that range for a while.

Personally, I never had performance like that from my ConX, but I also live in an area where it's bright as hell year round with high humidity - a lot of LRFs seem to suffer here.

Also, pricing isn't everything. A lot has changed the last few years with LRFs.

The Nitro was originally intended for hunting applications, which is why the tripod mount was omitted. It's only been an issue to the long range crowd, and the aftermarket is going to fix that. The issue has already been beaten to death.

As for the rest, you realize I am not an employee of Bushnell, right? I can tell you that they are aware of the points you're bringing up, but ranting at me here on SH isn't going to make things happen any faster.
I'm not ranting at you and I know your not a bushnell employee, but here you are trying to convince us to buy another average LRF,

I'm not ranting at you and I know your not a bushnell employee, but here you are trying to convince us to buy another average LRF,

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy anything. It was a new product I found interesting, and thought it was something people here would want to know more about. Not everyone is in the market for a $1k+ LRF with 3k yard capabilities.

The ConX was a good concept and bushnells heart was in the right place but it seems that there was a 50/50 chance as to whether you got a good one or not, Some guys here had them range like crazy well above 1000yds, others could not get them past 600/800yds, The ConX could have been the perfect answer if they had given it more horsepower,

Other members did just as well as me yet others got sold a paper weight, If only they had made them all range another 7/800m they would of been perfect, Mine still works well and looks brand new

Hand held standing up I have ranged a 2.4x2.4 meter (8ft X 8ft) green tin shed at 1677yds and I ranged that for good reason, because it is the size target that the military us when they test them according to the tests I have read and all my ranged targets were taken hand held, To date I have never ranged a target using a Tripod with it although I meant to Life took over and I never got round to it,

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy anything. It was a new product I found interesting, and thought it was something people here would want to know more about. Not everyone is in the market for a $1k+ LRF with 3k yard capabilities.

I also have a conX, I bought and upgraded the 1800 for the purpose of hunting; I typically don’t carry tripod with conX & spotter combo while hunting. If the tripod comes with its for the smoke pole as I plan to shoot shit not watch!!! After few times of true of use in my application, only complaint I have is still “fixable” I think. The reticle in 1800 is a bit large for any distance say past 775yd. I believe could be addressed as the unit has different “reticles”. Again my opinion.
A protective case with retention/retraction system would be slick. Hopefully the aftermarket mounts make this an option as seems standard threaded mounts are very universal.

Reactions: MilDot1960
I also have a conX, I bought and upgraded the 1800 for the purpose of hunting; I typically don’t carry tripod with conX & spotter combo while hunting. If the tripod comes with its for the smoke pole as I plan to shoot shit not watch!!! After few times of true of use in my application, only complaint I have is still “fixable” I think. The reticle in 1800 is a bit large for any distance say past 775yd. I believe could be addressed as the unit has different “reticles”. Again my opinion.
A protective case with retention/retraction system would be slick. Hopefully the aftermarket mounts make this an option as seems standard threaded mounts are very universal.

Are you using the dot on the reticle, or just the horseshoe? Using the dot (either alone or with the horseshoe) helps a lot in the Nitro.

Are you using the dot on the reticle, or just the horseshoe? Using the dot (either alone or with the horseshoe) helps a lot in the Nitro.
The dot. Yes it’s best option. Yote In open 527 was extremely hard to get good ready. I understand that’s a smaller target however a lesser MOA fit would be useful and easy fix With in software.

The dot. Yes it’s best option. Yote In open 527 was extremely hard to get good ready. I understand that’s a smaller target however a lesser MOA fit would be useful and easy fix With in software.

The display isn't changable with software, unfortunately.

Mine was able to range IPSC steel at 1k, but that was about the extent of it. I could range larger objects at longer distances, though.

Mine appears to be highly susceptible to the amount of Sun and the angle of the Sun relative to the target.

I've had great success on whistle pigs out to 650yds on cloudy days whereas I could NOT get it to range a black cow at ~450yds on a no cloud full Sun day with the Sun at my back.....WTF!?!

Yet, I've had it give returns on ridgelines, houses and water towers from 1k out to 1.6k :unsure:

If anybody is looking for a deal on these Optics Planet is offering 11% off with the code BLACK (Offer Ends 12/1/19 at 11:59 PM CST ). This appears to be able to combine with the $50 Bushnell insta rebate that has them at $299. Dependent on your states online sales tax laws you could get this for as low as $266. The only downside is that shipping is delayed 10-18 days. My guess is Bushnell is waiting for the next container of these to clear Customs.

So I got something interesting in the mail yesterday.....

Attachments

• 20191217_175917.jpg
    20191217_175917.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: bunsen27
So mine finally arrived from Optics Planet tonight and it is MUCH smaller than I was anticipating. Glass looks good,very clear, and the focus ring works great. Overall not too shabby for the $$$.

A few things I've noted for anyone just getting one:

1. There is no manual in the box NOR is there one available online currently.
  2. There are several Youtube video's from Oct2019 showing how to pair the LRF with the Bushnell app but either the App has changed or my version is bugged. (see below)
  3. ABE is the mode you want for pairing to a Kestrel 5700, ABU is the one for Bushnell's App. Zero issues pairing to a Kestrel!!
  4. I'd love to know what the other modes are, but see #1

So the grey "Bluetooth" and the orange "Gun Profile" boxes on the profile page are completely missing for me. I deleted and re-downloaded the App, no change.

So mine finally arrived from Optics Planet tonight and it is MUCH smaller than I was anticipating. Glass looks good,very clear, and the focus ring works great. Overall not too shabby for the $$$.

A few things I've noted for anyone just getting one:

1. There is no manual in the box NOR is there one available online currently.
  2. There are several Youtube video's from Oct2019 showing how to pair the LRF with the Bushnell app but either the App has changed or my version is bugged. (see below)
  3. ABE is the mode you want for pairing to a Kestrel 5700, ABU is the one for Bushnell's App. Zero issues pairing to a Kestrel!!
  4. I'd love to know what the other modes are, but see #1

So the grey "Bluetooth" and the orange "Gun Profile" boxes on the profile page are completely missing for me. I deleted and re-downloaded the App, no change.

The manual is linked on the actual Nitro 1800 product page.

Are you using an Android phone or iPhone?

Hm. Not sure how much I can help on the app issue, since I run Android. I will say that I had to enable GPS for some stupid reason to get the pairing to work. That's not the only app/device I have had to do it with, though, so it's not something with the Bushnell app, but Android itself.

Hm. Not sure how much I can help on the app issue, since I run Android. I will say that I had to enable GPS for some stupid reason to get the pairing to work. That's not the only app/device I have had to do it with, though, so it's not something with the Bushnell app, but Android itself.

No worries on not being Tech support. Although I thought the App had some interesting features, it wasn't really overly impressive.

I will ultimately be pairing the 1800 with my Kestrel 5700 and probably a Kestrel HUD. I've been running the 5700 on a tripod in the vane mount connected to Kestrel's App for real time wind speed and direction changes. :cool:

No worries on not being Tech support. Although I thought the App had some interesting features, it wasn't really overly impressive.

I will ultimately be pairing the 1800 with my Kestrel 5700 and probably a Kestrel HUD. I've been running the 5700 on a tripod in the vane mount connected to Kestrel's App for real time wind speed and direction changes. :cool:

Yeah, the Nitro really shines in that role. I think the app is handy for certain teaching moments, and for newer LR shooters, but once you have a Kestrel, the app doesn't give you much except for configuring the onboard AB engine as a backup.

Reactions: bunsen27
More results from this weekend (Sadly without pictures):

Ranging steel out to 1060 yards was no problem. Unfortunately, most of the targets were in front of berms, I don't have much to work with where I can isolate a target without a berm immediately behind it. I'm going to try to find some places/objects around town (maybe on the water) where I can get skylined objects and see how well the Nitro picks up there.

At 800+ yards, I was really happy with the speed. Other LRFs I have used, I needed to be able to keep the LRF on target for a second or more to really get a good range, especially in the bright sun here in FL, but the Nitro didn't have any issues there. As a result, I was still able to get good ranges on most targets just offhand, no tripod support.

Linking to the Kestrel is easy. It might need a little coaxing once the LRF shuts off to get the link reestablished, but that's something I have seen with other Kestrel connected LRFs I've tried, too, so I can't really call that a knock against the Nitro.

Internal AB seems to be functioning well, also. No issues I can see there so far.

For the price, I think it's a pretty solid LRF. It's not going to compete against the $1k+ stuff obviously, but for the money I'd say it's a pretty damn good LRF.

If anyone has specific things they'd like me to test out, let me know. I will try to get those done and get them on video or at least photos for you guys.
When connecting to a kestrel elite, does the information get uploaded into the LRF so that you can continue using it while the kestrel is disconnected or is it only usable while the kestrel is linked?

Bit the bullet (no long distance shooting with that one.) bought a Nitro 1600 and looking forward to getting it upgraded to Sportsman software, as that should serve my needs, not looking at taking 1500+ yard shots, mostly for deer hunting. I also have a Bushnell scope, so excited about being able to pull my reticle up on the app and the software show me shot placement within the reticle. I will be doing a video review of this entire process because it’s my first “smart” lrf and want to test how accurate everything is once all the data is loaded. Correct me if I wrong, but in theory, I should put all the data in, the app shows me where to place the shot within the scope/reticle, now in time I should be able to handle the shot placement without the software, just the RF and adjust my MOA to the range and from experience of using the app, know were to place the shot. (Hey, not all of us are experts! ;-)) That said, could this be a good training tool for newbies?
Do you have a video up yet?

When connecting to a kestrel elite, does the information get uploaded into the LRF so that you can continue using it while the kestrel is disconnected or is it only usable while the kestrel is linked?

Only while connected to the Kestrel. The onboard profile for AB Ultralite (or the upgraded software if you go that route) is controlled via the smartphone app, as is the weather criteria that AB in the LRF is using.

I’m very interested in the rangefinder also. Want to get into long range shooting and this seems like a good tool to have. My question is do you have to have a kestrel or can a version of the app give you all the info you will need?

I’m very interested in the rangefinder also. Want to get into long range shooting and this seems like a good tool to have. My question is do you have to have a kestrel or can a version of the app give you all the info you will need?

The LRF itself can give you ballistic data. You use the smartphone app to build your rifle profile and load weather data into the LRF, then when you lase the target you get your correction. The built in software only supports 1 profile at a time, though, and has a limit of 800 meters/880 yards. It will give distances beyond that, just not the firing solution unless you A) connect a Kestrel or B) upgrade the software.

The LRF itself can give you ballistic data. You use the smartphone app to build your rifle profile and load weather data into the LRF, then when you lase the target you get your correction. The built in software only supports 1 profile at a time, though, and has a limit of 800 meters/880 yards. It will give distances beyond that, just not the firing solution unless you A) connect a Kestrel or B) upgrade the software.
Ok thanks for the info. Is there a benefit to one over the other as far and A and B goes? Reason being is I don’t have a kestrel right now and if I buy this RF would one be a better option over the other?

Ok thanks for the info. Is there a benefit to one over the other as far and A and B goes? Reason being is I don’t have a kestrel right now and if I buy this RF would one be a better option over the other?

There's advantages both ways. Upgrading the software gets you greater range without a second device, but does nothing for weather or multiple rifles - you're still managing those by hand with a smartphone app, which means a second device.

Pairing to a Kestrel lets you use as many rifle profiles as you have on your Kestrel, gives you real time weather data - but requires the Kestrel, so 2 devices again, with one being an expensive piece of dedicated hardware.

There's advantages both ways. Upgrading the software gets you greater range without a second device, but does nothing for weather or multiple rifles - you're still managing those by hand with a smartphone app, which means a second device.

Pairing to a Kestrel lets you use as many rifle profiles as you have on your Kestrel, gives you real time weather data - but requires the Kestrel, so 2 devices again, with one being an expensive piece of dedicated hardware.
Awesome, thank you for the info. I think I will probably go the kestrel route.

I've had my nitro 1800 for a couple weeks now paired with the app, so far very happy but I have one question, how do I get the app to display my firing solution as a point of aim on the reticle once I have lased the target? i.e. On the app in solutions where my specific scope reticle is how do I get it to show a dot where to aim?

Pretty much. If you have a known distance target, you can do the same thing in the app (out to 880 yards) without even using the LRF.

How do you actually do this. I've been using the app for about 6 months and my targets don't reflect in the reticle solution. I now have the range finder and it also doesn't show shot placement as you have mentioned above.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200129-125304.png
    Screenshot_20200129-125304.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20200129-125317.png
    Screenshot_20200129-125317.png
    164.3 KB · Views: 72
How do you actually do this. I've been using the app for about 6 months and my targets don't reflect in the reticle solution. I now have the range finder and it also doesn't show shot placement as you have mentioned above.

Honestly, I haven't played with the app and LRF integration enough to be sure of how to do it. I will try to play around with it this week or weekend and get you an answer.

Does it not have an illuminated reticle?

No, the display is not illuminated. It's one of my few complaints with the Nitro, honestly.

I just got my Nitro 1800. I was able to get it to pair to the Android app and most of the time while connected, it will give me firing solutions inside the Nitro reticle. When I connect to my Kestrel Link 5700 applied ballistics, it will send the inclination and range to the kestrel but NO firing solution is displayed in the Nitro display. I called Bushnell and they couldn't figure it out, I think the product manager/designer is still out of the office for shotshow. I am going to try calling back tomorrow.

Also, does the Nitro not hold the ballistics information in ABU mode? as in, when you are in ABU mode and disconnect from the phone app, it seems to lose all firing solutions.

I just got my Nitro 1800. I was able to get it to pair to the Android app and most of the time while connected, it will give me firing solutions inside the Nitro reticle. When I connect to my Kestrel Link 5700 applied ballistics, it will send the inclination and range to the kestrel but NO firing solution is displayed in the Nitro display. I called Bushnell and they couldn't figure it out, I think the product manager/designer is still out of the office for shotshow. I am going to try calling back tomorrow.

Also, does the Nitro not hold the ballistics information in ABU mode? as in, when you are in ABU mode and disconnect from the phone app, it seems to lose all firing solutions.

The Nitro should definitely keep the profile loaded from the phone app when disconnected and in ABU mode. Give it another try tonight after making sure your app is up to date. If it's still doing it, shoot me a PM with your email address, and I will get you in touch with the right person.

As for the data with a Kestrel, are you in external mode on the Nitro? I think it shows as ABE in the display, but I'd have to grab mine and look to be sure.

I just upgraded Mine to sportsman but the app hasn't updated. Do you need to pair it to the LRF for the update to take effect on the app? Also will the upgrade allow you to change your twist rate?

The Nitro should definitely keep the profile loaded from the phone app when disconnected and in ABU mode. Give it another try tonight after making sure your app is up to date. If it's still doing it, shoot me a PM with your email address, and I will get you in touch with the right person.

As for the data with a Kestrel, are you in external mode on the Nitro? I think it shows as ABE in the display, but I'd have to grab mine and look to be sure.
My understanding is that you need to change the settings between Abu and Abe depending what you are connected to. So if you pair to the kestrel the app is no longer paired and providing the gun profile but the kestrel will be.

My understanding is that you need to change the settings between Abu and Abe depending what you are connected to. So if you pair to the kestrel the app is no longer paired and providing the gun profile but the kestrel will be.

That's correct, but ABU will retain the profile loaded from the app.

Update on my experience. I upgraded to the sportsman and this unlocked the main critical setting of barrel twist rate and some other too which are already mentioned on the bushnell site. Also this unlocks the ability for the app to give you an aim point on your bushnell reticle once a target has been lased. So far I am extremely happy with this LRF and the app. So far just from my front door I have been able to range trees well beyond 1000m very quickly and the app makes it perfect for beginners to either aim off on the reticle or dial in the turrets for a firing solution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200130-183202.png
    Screenshot_20200130-183202.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Interesting, think I need one. A couple of questions, does it connect to 5700 Kestral with link, not the elite? I can upgrade the 5700, but that puts it into the Leica range.
Is there a vendor here on the hide that carries this? I like to support people who support us.

Interesting, think I need one. A couple of questions, does it connect to 5700 Kestral with link, not the elite? I can upgrade the 5700, but that puts it into the Leica range.
Is there a vendor here on the hide that carries this? I like to support people who support us.
My understanding is that as long as it has link it connects. Works with my elite with link though. Its awesome, especially at the price range.

It'll work with any 5-series Kestrel with Link. Not sure about the older 4-series stuff, tho.

DVOR have these at $310 and with the current rebate of 29% it brings it to $220.

If someone is going to order one, can they order me one too and post it to Australia! The rebate is only for the US.

So I am back from my 2020 PDog hunt in SD. I specifically bough the Nitro 1800 last Dec to pair with a Kestrel 5700 providing real time wind data in a weather vane mount and HUD for this trip. I had tested the setup prior to the trip at the range and in my backyard. I was easily able to connect the Nitro to the Kestrel along with the HUD and successfully have the Nitro send data to the Kestrel then have it displayed on the HUD and in the Nitro. After three days of field use identifying and ranging hundreds of PDogs here are my thoughts.

As just a basic LRF I find the Nitro 1800 to be very good! I have previously used the Bushnell Elite ConX for about 2 years and found the glass to be excellent for spotting targets (woodcucks & PDogs) with adequate ranging capabilities inside of 800yds. The Nitro 1800 is a marked improvement in the speed of ranging (it's SUPER fast!) and the ability to range targets at distances beyond 800yds (1200-1400yds was easy peazy on trees, cars, hay bails, cows while handheld). The Nitro glass although quite usable is a very noticable step backwards from the ConX in quality, clarity, and magnification (6x from 7x). Since most of our targets were inside of 500yds I would use the Nitro as my primary device for scanning and identifying targets, just as I had previously done with the ConX. Through the course of a days hunt eye fatigue became quite noticeable. Granted this is not the Nitro's intended primary usage, but the same task was handled much better by the ConX.

Pairing it with the Kestrel (V1.39) via Bluetooth was simple to set up. However, the main issues I had with the Nitro was it's relatively slow communication and reconnection speed from idle/sleep with the Kestrel (10s-25s) and inability to communicate first time once connected (Bluetooth symbol present). A shooting buddy was running a Kestrel + HUD + Terrapin and their communication and reconnection speeds were phenomenal (5s-10s) with near perfect first time communication from sleep/idle. The Nitro's sleep/idle kicks in 15 seconds after the last button push, and although it will wake up and range a target in less than 5 seconds typically, I routinely found myself waiting for it to establish bluetooth connection (15s-20s), ranging the target again then waiting another 5s-10s to see if it's communicated with the Kestrel and has a firing solution (elevation and windage data displayed in reticle) or if I had to range the target a third and wait another 5s-10s. Routinely having to wait 25s-40s and ranging a PDog multiple times to get your firing solution got old really quick.

Fortunately the Nitro does range very quickly and I was able to manually input that distance via the HUD's button and have a firing solution with live wind corrections in less than 15 seconds. ;)

For the money I paid (less than $300) it's a great rangefinder but the communication with a Kestrel is not quite flawless nor fast when compared to a Terrapin and could stand some significant improvements IMO.

IMG_2600.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2600.JPG
    IMG_2600.JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 46
I’ll post my 3 month experience with the Nitro 1800 and Kestrel 5700 w/Link. No software upgrades for either the Bushnell or Kestrel 5700. The Nitro 1800 And Kestrel paired in ABE mode, Kestrel on a weather vane with active wind reading mode on.

1. In FL humidity and sun at 1100, it ranged out to 1660 on reflective objects (windows) quickly while hand held.
2. Trees and dirt path ranged to 1250 quickly while hand held.
3. IPSC target ranged to 940 quickly while hand held, with ABE providing elevation and wind data (ABE mode with Kestrel allowed elevation/wind hold data past the limitations of the LRF’s internal AB ultralight mode)
4. The position and distance of the Kestrel relative to the LRF made a difference. The pairing was most reliable when both devices were at equal height, < 18ft apart, and unobstructed by the hand. (For a right hand held lase, the Kestrel established a better link when it was placed left of the Nitro.)
5. To establish a faster link when waking up, the above described position and 2 or 3 lases in quick succession gave range, elevation and wind reads within 5 seconds ~7 of 10 times.
6. I found that holding the LRF with my right hand and stabilizing the right hand by gripping my right wrist with my left hand would allow for best combination of stability and signal transmission.

Overall, I really like the Nitro and Kestrel combination. It just took some time to work out the details in my back yard while teleworking. Having DOPE verified data from my Kestrel showing info directly as I lase will save time and reduce potential communication and transcription errors.
Pros: great value, bright glass, better ranging capabilities than I expected, synergy with Kestrel with my DOPE in ABE mode, great battery life
Cons: needed experimentation to get Link up and running, Kestrel deal from Cameraland has ended, manual should be written to reflect range/elevation/wind capabilities beyond 850 when paired in ABE mode

YMMV, happy shooting.

Follow up with extended inclement weather use

1. Took it to Core/Altus Shooting solutions for field testing in late July. Temp 95 deg F, humidity 83%, sunny, DA 1500,

1.a. Left it out on the table from 9AM - Noon, used it to verify known distance targets. Distances were spot on and quick to return distance, inclination, and windage/elevation out to 940 yards.
1.b. No heat soak issues. Turned on instantly, LED info bright and legible without washout.

2. Today is wet and rainy from Tropical Storm Marco, so no range day but got a chance to play around with the LRF in the back yard.

2.a. Able to range to 196 yards through moderate showers on first lase. Rain intensity ~5/10 (IMHO scale).
2.b. Able to range to 196 yards through mist in-between rain showers on first lase.
2.c. Able to range from 38 yards (tree leaves) to 196 yards (trees at a distance through a ~2'x3' opening in the foliage). First lase hits.

Overall assessment: the Bushnell Nitro 1800 is a high value LRF with capabilities to lase standard IPSC and 16" steel gongs out to 940 yards. In my testing it worked well in hot environments with good LRF accuracy in rain, mist, and through foliage.

What I'd like to find out: Performance in cold and snowy environments, maximum practical distance for reflective and non-reflective targets, long term durability, performance during match/hunting conditions (ie: is it faster to lase and get elevation/wind data and verbalize to shooter vs. using traditional spotter/shooter communication or other integrated LRF/DOPE systems)

YMMV, happy shooting.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm