• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell Optics Opinions

radical1911

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2018
Looking for some reviews, comments, and or opinion on the following optics...
Bushnell DMR 2 3.5-21X50 .10 Mil
Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18X44 .10 Mil
I have the opportunity to purchase them both under $900.00

Curious how they stack up next to Vortex Viper Gen II or the Athon Optics

Scopes are going on long range bolt guns, specifically 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 Win Mag.
Prefer to Keep everything Mil/Mil

Any recommendations or comments are appreciated in advance.

I don’t own the Athlon or Gen II Viper so can’t make the direct comparison, but I can say that my 4.5-18 LRTSi has been fantastic. It is reliable. Retains its zero, tracks accurately, and returns to zero. The glass is far above its pay grade. I love mine.

John

I have tested multiple Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18x44 scopes on a tracking test stand. They track perfectly. They track better than a couple of other more expensive scopes I tested. The glass is the best in that price range in my opinion. I have been super impressed with Bushnell's LRTS line. I have also tested the 3-12x44 and it is excellent as well.

How about a DMR2 3.5-21x50 vs a Vortex Razor HD Gen 1 5-20x50. Can get either for around the same coin. Razor is used DMR1 is new.

Andrew

95% of my competition shooting the last 6 years has been done with an original DMR and a recent HDMR II. They’ve been great scopes, and a gen II for under $1,000 is an excellent way to go.

I briefly used a 3-18 Gen II Razor, but actually switched from it back to my original DMR, due to the Razor doing strange things and the DMR being trusted. The Razor is a more refined option IMO, but based on my personal experience I trust the 3.5-21x50 Bushnell offerings more.

I just purchased the LRTS 4.5-18 based on feedback I got from here. I have just played around with it so far and plan to go shoot it tomorrow. Can't wait!

Reactions: Nathan11B
I would probably go for the LRTS over the first gen DMR but I would go DMR2 over the LRTS. That said I really like my LRTS.

I picked up a DMR II 3 months ago and I'm really pleased with it. Can't compare it to the other scopes you've listed as I have no experience with them. But the glass on mine is better than anything else I've looked through and way better than the vortex viper hslr ffp it replaced. And it tracks true and returns to zero every time on the tall target tests I've done.

Sorry if this question is a bit sidetracked but do any of you who own the 4.5-18 LRTSi have issues with the light from the illuminated reticle splashing onto the numbers? I mounted my new scope on last night and immediately noticed at the 3 setting (and higher) that the 2, 4, 6, & 8 markings started to have a faint, blurry red glow. Sort of looks like dust or lint from the illumination coming off the cross hairs. I don’t remember my old Mark 4 doing this but have never owned a Bushnell before.

I figured it’d be good to ask here before sending it back for replacement if it’s a non issue. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t think they are supposed to be lit but they do get some artifacts of it. I figure if I spent 2k more on it I would concern myself with it.

Reactions: Carl_Ross
Sorry if this question is a bit sidetracked but do any of you who own the 4.5-18 LRTSi have issues with the light from the illuminated reticle splashing onto the numbers? I mounted my new scope on last night and immediately noticed at the 3 setting (and higher) that the 2, 4, 6, & 8 markings started to have a faint, blurry red glow. Sort of looks like dust or lint from the illumination coming off the cross hairs. I don’t remember my old Mark 4 doing this but have never owned a Bushnell before.

I figured it’d be good to ask here before sending it back for replacement if it’s a non issue. Thanks.

The Bushnell illustration of the reticles does not show the numbers illuminated so I don’t think they are designed to be so. On the very brightest settings in somewhat dim light, I notice the same thing in mine as you do in yours. But if I use those bright settings in appropriate light (outdoor daylight) I can’t see the bleeding into the numbers at all. Similarly with the dim settings low light. I don’t see the bleeding into the numbers at all.

I guess that was a long winded way of saying that it’s a non issue.

John

I don't have experience with the specific scopes that you listed, but I can share this story:

Bushnell wasn't on my radar. Then they offered the LRHS. I bought one, used it, and used the heck outta it.

It caused me to sell off quite a few scopes that I thought I liked.

Good stuff happening from Bushnell right now.

IMG_6053.JPG

Just got mine about a week ago, Waiting for the weather to get nice... SO far, I'm really diggin it.

I looked at the Bushnells a couple of days ago at the factory outlet here in KC. The DMRII seemed like a very robust scope with nice features and good glass. If I could have grabbed one for $900 I would have!

Reactions: MElank
I would probably go for the LRTS over the first gen DMR but I would go DMR2 over the LRTS. That said I really like my LRTS.

Can you comment further? I am not a Bushnell guy, and I know a lot of people are interested right now, given the 30% rebate. If you can comment upon the XRS-II, that would be helpful as well. the DMR-I is of little consequence, but understanding the nuancess between the LRTS, DMR-2 and XRS-II would be good.

for about the same money what's the difference between the LRTS and the LRHS? throw hammer lever and and a sunshade?..

for about the same money what's the difference between the LRTS and the LRHS? throw hammer lever and and a sunshade?..

LRTS has the throw hammer, has a locking windage turret instead of capped, and has no donut in the reticle. LRTS reticle is the G3 instead of G2H. Both come with a sunshade.

John

Reactions: ra2bach
Can you comment further? I am not a Bushnell guy, and I know a lot of people are interested right now, given the 30% rebate. If you can comment upon the XRS-II, that would be helpful as well. the DMR-I is of little consequence, but understanding the nuancess between the LRTS, DMR-2 and XRS-II would be good.

Longshot, the XRS II is the currently the only offering that Bushnell has with ED glass from LOW that compares well to scopes like the ATACR, Gen II razor, Mark 5, etc. Supposedly it's the same as the ATACR and Gen II Razor as Bryan told me, i don't have any confirmation of that. The DMR II and LRHS/LRTS supposedly have the same glass between the both of them from Japan, i guess LOW? It's not ED prime. Though given the DMR II pro announcement and the LRHS' cancelled production i bet were going to see an LRHS II in the coming months with ED prime glass. Having owned both though i felt my LRHS was actually better than my HDMR II and my cousin's DMR II. They all use the same elevation knob and zero stop design, with the LRHS being capped and limited to the G2H reticle.

The DMR II pro however coming this summer will have "ED Prime" glass as they're calling it. They're naming scheme is a little wonky at this point. Given the DMR II announced with new coatings and supposed new glass but then the XRS II has ED Prime from LOW and now they're reintroducing the DMR II with the same glass as the XRS II..makes it rather confusing.

For the money the OP has said he can get one at i'd say it's a good deal. I can't comment on how they compare to a Gen II PST but i do recall upon Bill's final thoughts of the Gen II PST versus his DMR II that the PST edged it out in resolution. I'll see for myself in the coming month as we just got a 5-25 gen II PST and my cousin again has a DMR II to put it up against.

My limited sample size of the HDMR II/DMR II thus far has been a little disappointing and truthfully i would've been well disappointed if i had dropped retail on one. They do track though and have a great record of doing so. My HDMR II and my Cousin's DMR II both have CA issues, mine admittedly was worse than his and edge to edge clarity was lacking with a hazy ring around the image. The resolution is a clear upgrade from the Gen I DMR/HDMR/ERS/XRS as is the low light capability. It does seem however that it's apparent the quality varies from scope to scope considerably, as i said earlier i felt my LRHS was superior to both my HDMR II and the DMR II in every way outside of low light capability.

Last edited:
Reactions: stewarmy01
ok, another dumb question - how important is it that the G2 or G3 reticle only have 1/2mil hashes? seems rather crude compared to other reticles, no?..

ok, another dumb question - how important is it that the G2 or G3 reticle only have 1/2mil hashes? seems rather crude compared to other reticles, no?..
No,
1/2 mil hashes are easy to work with. Anything more and the picture becomes cluttered.
Both the G2 and G3 are very useful

No,
1/2 mil hashes are easy to work with. Anything more and the picture becomes cluttered.
Both the G2 and G3 are very useful

Yeah I really like the G3 reticle in my DMR2. It does have additional windage hashes at 1.2 mils, but besides that it is all 0.5 mil hashes.

Something to keep in mind when decided... illuminated G3 vs. non-illuminated G3. The non-illuminated G3 has a very fine cross hair that is better for precision shooting IMO. The illuminated G3 does not have this thinner cross hair, and just maintains the thicker lines throughout the reticle. I have no experience with the illuminated G3 but you can find some posts and pictures around that show the difference to see for yourself.

Yeah I really like the G3 reticle in my DMR2. It does have additional windage hashes at 1.2 mils, but besides that it is all 0.5 mil hashes.

Something to keep in mind when decided... illuminated G3 vs. non-illuminated G3. The non-illuminated G3 has a very fine cross hair that is better for precision shooting IMO. The illuminated G3 does not have this thinner cross hair, and just maintains the thicker lines throughout the reticle. I have no experience with the illuminated G3 but you can find some posts and pictures around that show the difference to see for yourself.

you've seen the difference yourself between the illuminated and non? I haven't been able to find reticle subtension chart for either...

I have three Bushnell Scopes all Gen 1 - 2 XRS with the H37 and H59 Reticles and an ERS with the T2. Awesome scopes. Also I have sent in two of my scopes to be tuned up just because I bought them used and wanted to have a factory ok on them it took 12 days on both scopes round trip and that is fast. I am now wanting not needing the new XRS Gen II H59 that is next on my list. You can't go wrong.

I've got a gen 2 Razor, DMR2 and ERS. All are good in my opinion. The DMR2 has impressive glass clarity. Best bang for the $ I think

HDMR has the Horus reticle

that's what I thought but I saw where people were talking about their HMDR with G3 reticle or some shit. I think Bushnell should go about unfucking their model designations before they do anything else. something normal people can understand...

Bushnell's model designations are perfectly clear, a HDMR has the horus reticle, the DMR doesn't. People are just mindless and don't even know which scope they have, and go about saying they have a HDMR when they actually have a DMR, or reverse.

For the money the OP has said he can get one at i'd say it's a good deal. I can't comment on how they compare to a Gen II PST but i do recall upon Bill's final thoughts of the Gen II PST versus his DMR II that the PST edged it out in resolution. I'll see for myself in the coming month as we just got a 5-25 gen II PST and my cousin again has a DMR II to put it up against.

My limited sample size of the HDMR II/DMR II thus far has been a little disappointing and truthfully i would've been well disappointed if i had dropped retail on one. They do track though and have a great record of doing so. My HDMR II and my Cousin's DMR II both have CA issues, mine admittedly was worse than his and edge to edge clarity was lacking with a hazy ring around the image. The resolution is a clear upgrade from the Gen I DMR/HDMR/ERS/XRS as is the low light capability. It does seem however that it's apparent the quality varies from scope to scope considerably, as i said earlier i felt my LRHS was superior to both my HDMR II and the DMR II in every way outside of low light capability.

That's right Will, after playing more with the diopter on the Vortex PST II 5-25x50 I was able to get a wee bit finer resolution than the DMR II, I should not that initially the PST II was not as good, but since I paid less for it I was kind of expecting that; however, once I fiddled a bit more with the diopter (fine tuning) I either got lucky or found the perfect setting for my eyes and the PST II really impressed at that point. Keeping in mind these scopes are build more for the masses and do not have as fine of QC on them, so sample variance may certainly play more of a factor when comparing. The DMR II I had was definitely better than the original DMR with IQ in daytime and especially in low light, this is where the DMR really suffered as it almost had a cloudy bluish tint to it that muddled the view. The LRTS 4.5-18x44 I had was very impressive with better IQ than both the DMR II and the PST II, if the mag range fits what you need then you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope at this price, though with more and more competition popping up I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to see better and better glass at lower price points.

OP - both the DMR II and the LRTS are great scopes, they are built solid and have good track records. Very curious about the DMR II Pro with ED Prime glass, will it be able to compete with the likes of Nightforces's ATACR series or Vortex's Gen II's, not sure, but will be interesting. I honestly feel the PST II 5-25x50 gives the DMR II a run for it's money. Something else to consider is this, the DMR LL can only focus/parallax down to 75y while the PST II goes to 50y, may not be an issue but a spec folks often overlook. Another thing, you might think the DMR II has advantage being a 3.5-21 magnification scope vs. a 5-25 scope but if you look at the numbers you'll find the FOV of the DMR II is quite lacking, at 3.5x it only fits 25.3' at 100y while the PST II at 5x is able to fit 24.1' into 5x, so they are not too far off.

Here's the link to the review I did on this scope
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ht-tactical-scope-evaluation-part-ii.6255263/

That's right Will, after playing more with the diopter on the Vortex PST II 5-25x50 I was able to get a wee bit finer resolution than the DMR II, I should not that initially the PST II was not as good, but since I paid less for it I was kind of expecting that; however, once I fiddled a bit more with the diopter (fine tuning) I either got lucky or found the perfect setting for my eyes and the PST II really impressed at that point. Keeping in mind these scopes are build more for the masses and do not have as fine of QC on them, so sample variance may certainly play more of a factor when comparing. The DMR II I had was definitely better than the original DMR with IQ in daytime and especially in low light, this is where the DMR really suffered as it almost had a cloudy bluish tint to it that muddled the view. The LRTS 4.5-18x44 I had was very impressive with better IQ than both the DMR II and the PST II, if the mag range fits what you need then you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope at this price, though with more and more competition popping up I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to see better and better glass at lower price points.

OP - both the DMR II and the LRTS are great scopes, they are built solid and have good track records. Very curious about the DMR II Pro with ED Prime glass, will it be able to compete with the likes of Nightforces's ATACR series or Vortex's Gen II's, not sure, but will be interesting. I honestly feel the PST II 5-25x50 gives the DMR II a run for it's money. Something else to consider is this, the DMR LL can only focus/parallax down to 75y while the PST II goes to 50y, may not be an issue but a spec folks often overlook. Another thing, you might think the DMR II has advantage being a 3.5-21 magnification scope vs. a 5-25 scope but if you look at the numbers you'll find the FOV of the DMR II is quite lacking, at 3.5x it only fits 25.3' at 100y while the PST II at 5x is able to fit 24.1' into 5x, so they are not too far off.

Here's the link to the review I did on this scope
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ht-tactical-scope-evaluation-part-ii.6255263/

do you have a link to the first part of that review? the index here goes back 1 year and jumps to 2014...

do you have a link to the first part of that review? the index here goes back 1 year and jumps to 2014...
Unfortunately the fist scopes from the review were all part of the old Scout site which there is no history of unfortunately; however, I did bring over the data from the charts so in essence combined the two. Was their a specific scope you were interested in?

Unfortunately the fist scopes from the review were all part of the old Scout site which there is no history of unfortunately; however, I did bring over the data from the charts so in essence combined the two. Was their a specific scope you were interested in?

ah yes, sorry, I realized that after I typed this.

but by the way, did you ever finish the review of the LRTS?..

ah yes, sorry, I realized that after I typed this.

but by the way, did you ever finish the review of the LRTS?..
Unfortunately not, last year was a crazy transition year as we moved from our property back to suburbia, so I never got the chance to get all the pics and stuff that I normally do nor do the full resolution testing with high/low contrast and all that. I ended up selling the rifle and the scope last year to help pay for landscaping at our new home (you know, happy wife happy life :)) The glass is just amazing on the LRTS for its price point, I have some through the scope pics I took, if you'd like I can try and dig those up and post them here.

Unfortunately not, last year was a crazy transition year as we moved from our property back to suburbia, so I never got the chance to get all the pics and stuff that I normally do nor do the full resolution testing with high/low contrast and all that. I ended up selling the rifle and the scope last year to help pay for landscaping at our new home (you know, happy wife happy life :)) The glass is just amazing on the LRTS for its price point, I have some through the scope pics I took, if you'd like I can try and dig those up and post them here.

that would be nice but I'm really just searching for validation. I already got a LRTS and think it's outstanding for the price I paid. ;)

in another thread I related how I lined it up with 3 other scopes and looked at a tree in shade trying to determine detail in the bark. when I strapped the LRTS to the tripod I realized I was actually looking at TWO trees, a thinner one in front of a wider one. the other three scopes were able to show detail in the bark but gave no hint that it was two trees.

the discrimination capable with this scope significantly surpasses anything I've owned so far...

that would be nice but I'm really just searching for validation. I already got a LRTS and think it's outstanding for the price I paid. ;)

in another thread I related how I lined it up with 3 other scopes and looked at a tree in shade trying to determine detail in the bark. when I strapped the LRTS to the tripod I realized I was actually looking at TWO trees, a thinner one in front of a wider one. the other three scopes were able to show detail in the bark but gave no hint that it was two trees.

the discrimination capable with this scope significantly surpasses anything I've owned so far...
ra2, you found the best validation possible, seeing with your own eyes. Your own personal experience trumps all the reviews and accolades from anyone on the Hide or anywhere else, unless you totally mess up setting up your scope, you are the best judge at what looks best to your eyes and how a scope performs in real world situations.

I have the Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 12 x 44 with illuminated G3 reticle. It sits in Talley rings on my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro rifle for long range hunting here in Nevada. (Bubble level in the rear Talley ring.)
I like everything about this scope except its long 14" length and 30 oz. weight. Seems the illumination feature added several ounces to the advertised 26 + oz. weight.
But with the very good glass, mil/mil reticle and turrets, illuminated G3 reticle, side focus parallax knob I'll be happy to keep it. Excellent long range hunting scope.

I have used a Bushnell 3.5 - 21 x 50 ERS with H59 reticle for competition on my 6.5 CM RUGER Precision Rifle for 5 years and really like it. VERY precise.
**BUT... I wish I had the 4.5 - 30 x 50 XRS II with its better magnification and ED glass, but still with the H59 reticle.

NOTE: The ERS has a few features like dual locking turrets that the DMR does not have but otherwise they are the same. No more ERS scopes these days because the XRS came out.

Yeah, I have two of Bushnell's top riflescopes and I'm glad I do. No complaints on quality or features.
Eric B.

Last edited:
I recently purchased 2 bushnell ar series scopes.

Could not expect more for the price.
Tracked perfect.

Last edited: