• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell SMRS 1-8.5x....anyone?

tactic-als

Jawa Reaper
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
PA
Anyone bought this optic and have anything to say about it? I'm trying to research it and have found nothing. It's between this and the IOR Trident?....From what I read, I think the Bushnell wins but is it a win for how much more it is?

I picked one up back in early to mid March. I took it out the range to get it sighted in, and after the first range session I ended up having some dust or something appear on the inside of the objective lense. I tried shooting it again to see if it would just knock loose, and it didn't so I sent it back to Bushnell for repair. They issued me a new one because mold was inside the scope in addition to the dust on the lense. So, when I received the replacement I took it back out got it sighted in and then started playing with the power range more and noticed that as the light started to drop off a bit it got noticeably dim at the 8.5 power. It is good on the power range from 1 - 6 and then by 7 it starts to show, but not terribly so until you get to the end of the power range. That coupled with the asking price doesn't make it, IMO, worth that amount of cash. I would much rather spend it on just a straight 1-6 and save the rest for ammo. Their CS is very good and I have no complaints with the way they handled the repair process. However I sent mine back with their Bullet Proof Guarantee because it was not what I expected, at all.

As a side note I do own other Bushnell scopes like the ET62450 FFP with G2 ret and that has been phenomenal.

The Vortex is hard to beat. Like the reticle better on the SMRS, though.

Last edited:
I had the 1-8.5 and sent it back, Not day light bright at all.
I have the 1-6.5 SFP that I love, waiting for the SFP 1-8.5

I don't have the Bushy 1-8, but there are better options in this mag range IMHO. FWIW I have two Bushy HDMRs and an older 3-12 FFP Elite Tac, all of which absolutely I love, so I'm not a Bushnell hater by any means, ;) . I just think they missed the mark with this scope. Until they get the illumination right (can you say DAYLIGHT??? ... ) in their low-power variables I'll be looking elsewhere. As always: YMMV!

Last edited:
For the price of that beast you can get the new US Optics 1-8 I would likely go that route before the bushy although I havent played with either personally.

Add in the daylight bright dual focal plane feature on the uso and it's noticeably higher, but worth it by all accounts.

I purchased one from Cameraland. I think the glass is as good or better than my Burris xtr 2 1-8. I do like the SFP on the Burris better than the FFP on the SMRS. I can see the reticle light during the day even though its not crazy birght.
Sadly, I found out that I would rather have SFP on a low power optic

Grabbed one from Cameraland for around 800 and it's a good optic IMO, for an AR15.

On 1x it's very much like a dot optic, maybe a bit to it's detriment. In this area I think the Burris wins as the reticle works a little better on the low end.

Grabbed a Burris 1-8x at Cameraland also!

I run my SMRS on my AR-308. Works well on that platform, since I'm dialing and not doing a bunch of high speed stuff like I would with an AR-15. Kinda heavy, though. Concur that the glass is phenomenal.

Owned both the 1-8 and 1.6.5 in FFP & SFP. Not daylight bright and much better options for similar money. Unless you are getting a 1-8.5 for less than 750, move up to a razor gen 2 or 3.

The eotech 1-6 is the only other option in that price range worth owning.

I have one of the SMRS-1s because I liked the features (exposed knobs, reticle, Mil/mil...) better than the 2 and got a deal on a NOS one. Use it on my (subsonic) .300, as it's enough magnification for 0-450 but discourages me from going for max precision to improper ranges. Reticle works for that, but is crowded and not bright enough for an RDS replacement as a carbine I think.

Some clever ones coming out there (SFP illum, FFP reticle...) in other brands, and so far I like my weird Steiner military LPVO. I was very, very disappointed in the last USO, others have have similar issues; electronics are very lowest-bidder chinese, fail and literally fall apart here and there, but I hope they improve it all as the optics were nice.

I believe that Cameraland bought all remaining stock from Bushnell and that they are now gone. I bought one of the last ones and am considering putting it for sale as I would rather have a SFP scope at this power. I do wish that my Burris XTR II SFP had the 1x eyebox and view this Bushnell does

Reactions: erwos
I believe that Cameraland bought all remaining stock from Bushnell and that they are now gone. I bought one of the last ones and am considering putting it for sale as I would rather have a SFP scope at this power. I do wish that my Burris XTR II SFP had the 1x eyebox and view this Bushnell does
I'll have to keep an eye out. Might go nice on my Sig 556R.

Dejo,

Would have some interest in the Bushy 1-8.5 if you were to decide to let it go. Which reticle does it have?

Dj

Would have some interest in the Bushy 1-8.5 if you were to decide to let it go. Which reticle does it have?
I already bought it. Looks good on my Sig 556R.

Yes sir...they get the job done also. I have one and am looking to pick up another.

Good shooting,

Dj