• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Busted my Lee Press

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
I have one of the presses Lee includes in their Anniversary Kit.

It's has worked great until now. I was FL Resizing some Federal .308 brass. I pulled down on the handle with no problem. When I pulled up I felt a strange "give". When I looked it appears that I tore the handle through the powdered aluminum linkage blocks. At least I was able to get the sized case back out of the die with some creative pressure on the handle.

Now off to the Lee Website to see if they will send me a replacement.

Keep in mind this is the cheaper single stage, not the Classic Cast. I have reloaded a couple thousand rounds on this thing. I may have just found it's service limit.

Pics and more to follow.

Re: Busted my Lee Press

100_4298.jpg

100_4299.jpg

100_4300.jpg

100_4301.jpg

That isn't the Classic Cast one, is it?

Dude, Lee has a manliness rating that you are never supposed to exceed. I bought a Forster Co-Ax. It is the T and A.

No, it's the "Challenger" Press. They don't offer this press anymore, but it appears that the "Challenger Breech-Lock" Press uses the same linkage.

I sent the pics off to Lee, but their "unlimited" warranty is only for two years. I was reloading on this in August of '07 according to my logbook. I am betting they are going to want me to pay for replacement parts. Depending on the cost, I may do that and then upgrade presses and keep this for a backup. Up to this point I have been satisfied with this press. It's not fancy, but it works. I may upgrade to a turret press so I don't have to keep removing my dies.

I have the same press. Guess I need to check the linkage for cracks. I have reloaded a may pistol rounds with it. I am just now getting were I do more rifle than pistol and I can tell the resizing of rifle is harder on the press than the pistol stuff.

Been looking at a rock chunker may be time to go ahead and get one!

I have read elsewhere that is a known issue with that particular press. They have good customer service; they probably will replace the parts no charge.

I just got an email back from Lee. They will provide the replacement parts at no charge, or I can upgrade to the steel linkage if I want to pay for the extra parts required (they will still provide the steel arms at no charge).

So for about $4.50 I can upgrade to the steel linkage and hopefully eliminate the chance of a re-occurrence.

when you buy junk, you get what you pay for. i had one of their 1000's factory set in 223 what a POS it was. it never worked right, didnt advance right, powder measure felt like a fisher price toy in my hand and wasnt dropping consistant and the light switch pull chain crap, best thing i ever did was buy a dillon and 10,000+ rounds later never regretted it

id pay the 4.50 and then get you a press that you want to upgrade to. Keep that one as a back up or something.

I would hardly consider it Junk. I have not been easy on this press. I can't even tell you how many rounds I have resized and loaded on it. I also beat the hell out of it with the RCBS Swaging Die while removing primer pocket crimps.

When I get more than two years out of a < $100 piece of equipment that sees multiple sessions in a week I consider it a pretty good value. Now it seems that for another $4.50 it will continue on for at least another two years.

We are talking about a single stage press here. Not a progressive. There isn't a whole lot to them.

Concur I have the Classic Cast and the Lee Turret never an issue with either and I have beat the hell out of the turret loading pistol, use the classic cast for .308 and .300 win mag only.

It got me started and learning when money was tight so can't complain at all......

That said I feel a Co-Ax in my future someday.....

I flipped the linkage. I think I can get enough leverage to seat bullets, so I should be ok for a week until the parts arrive.

I have some new powder that I want to try tomorrow so this was going to be a big bummer. I just have to keep from doing any resizing until I get the parts.

$8.50 with shipping and my parts are on the way.

Talking about the leverage...This is just my little plug for my Co-Ax. It cost more, but damn it is nice. It is built like a tank, but has one of the greatest mechanical advantages of any press. That means you can do more with less force. The only other one I have tried was the rockchucker, but it is not even a competition with the Forster. YMMV

I think in the Lee reloading manual they talk about this linkage being built "to break" instead of breaking something else. But it has been a couple of years since I read that book...

Id say that that one is broke dick.

I recently sent my RCBS Ammo Master press back. The sumbitch/ ram got too sloppy at the top... = a couple thou run-out in every thing I was loading.
They had it for 3 weeks and replaced everything but the damn arm. I was impressed with the service and turn around. Been using it since 99 and put 3-4k through it. Good luck and I hope they do you right!

"When I looked it appears that I tore the handle through the powdered aluminum linkage blocks."

Yeah, it appears so! But, the handle block isn't "powdered aluminum, it's cast. And the usual problem that causes that break is letting the bolt just above the handle get a little loose. That changes the vector forces on the two part block, a LOT, and cams the two halves apart. The new steel block was made to prevent that.

Anyone comparing the strength of an inexpensive cast alumimum press to a cast iron one at 3-4 times the price is being silly. The Lee Challanger is a good press but it was never intended to compete with such larger, more expensive iron presses. But the steel link up-grade will get it pretty close! And the Lee Classic Cast, all cast steel, not cheaper/weaker cast iron is a fabulous press, and still sells at a very good price.

HEY JUST TAKE YOUR PATS TO A MACHINEST.THEN HE CAN MAKE YOU TWO NEW PARTS.THIS HAPPENED TO ME.BUT WITH THE TWO NEW PARTS MADE FROM SOLID STOCK MY PRESS WORKS BETTER.I CAN LOAD WITH NO PROBLEM.after I did this my daddy gave me a rock chucker for xmas that was a good friend of mine that passed away.so I just use it to press out primers.
John

Do your self a favor & get the Lee Classic Cast press. I don't have any regrets. I gave my old alumnium Lee press to a friend to use and abuse, he said it is still going strong!

Kinda strange...
Exact same thing happened to me this weekend.
Same press, same parts broke, flipped the parts so I could seat bullets!
The bolt that holds the two cast parts together was loose, so I blame it on that.
My new Lee Classic Cast press is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

You said in your OP that you had loaded a couple of thousand rounds with it before it broke. What a piece o crap!

Another Hide member picked up a Lee progressive for free. He spent a fortune replacing used parts, its still a piece o crap. That light-switch pull chain that activates the toy-grade all-plastic powder measure makes me laugh every time I see it.

That automatic turret press they have cracks me up. Spins the tool head with each pull of the handle. Are you kiddin me?

The plastic/potmetal Lee hand primer that requires its own special set of shellholders. I always read how great they are from guys that have bought 3 of them because the first 2 broke. Really?

Sorry LoneWolf, not raggin on ya, I just cant believe people keep buying that stuff. Personally, I would get it fixed and then put it on Ebay.

I replaced that same part-with a Rockchucker.

Lee will take care of it, but look around for a used RCBS or other well built press. My Anniversary press is off to the side, may someday become a dedicated decapper station or something........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cinosbus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think in the Lee reloading manual they talk about this linkage being built "to break" instead of breaking something else. </div></div>
Not exactly what Richard had in mind, just the way it worked out. That aluminum frame can catch hell with the steel parts installed.

"I have never heard anyone say, "I broke my RCBS press." Ever."

I have. Several. Mostly the RCBS' alum alloy presses too, "Reloaders" and "Partners", but I know of two Rock Chuckers that had the top strap broken.

Web sliming Lee's alloy presses because they aren't made - or priced - as a cast iron press is more than unfair, it's so pointless as to be silly. Make a valid comparison between an RC to a Lee Classic Cast and see what the strength difference is, you wull probably be surprised! (Or compair an RC/CC to a "Partner" for strength, see how that works out!)

Anyone with absolutely no sense of things mechanical can - will - break anything with a lever if the lever is long enough, it does happen! But,those who understand what they are doing and what they are using rarely have such problems, no matter who made them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another Hide member picked up a Lee progressive for free. He spent a fortune replacing used parts, its still a piece o crap. That light-switch pull chain that activates the toy-grade all-plastic powder measure makes me laugh every time I see it.
</div></div>

I have not heard good things about Lee progressive presses, but I have two Lee "toy-grade all-plastic" powder measures, the Lee Perfect powder measure ($20) and the Auto-Disk Pro ($40), and they have been amazingly consistent with no special technique required to use them. My Lee Perfect powder measure can drop Varget with +/- 0.1gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That automatic turret press they have cracks me up. Spins the tool head with each pull of the handle. Are you kiddin me?
</div></div>

What's wrong with the auto-indexing feature? I use this feature for pistol rounds and while it's not as fast as a progressive it's a great timesaver. When I load rifle rounds I just take out the indexing rod and use it as a single stage. Mind you this press costs less than a Rockchucker, and the turret disks are $10 each; I keep all my dies for a particular caliber on a single turret, and can change calibers in seconds. This press is more intelligently designed than any other progressive press I saw. Admittedly there is slop between the die and the ram, but I don't think that it effects accuracy with the collet neck sizing dies and Forster seaters I use.

Yes, we have seen a broken RCBS press, just in this forum ...

attachmenti.jpg

attachmentfz.jpg

I have this one ...

classiccastlarge.jpg

Note that the leverage system has no cheap cast light metal, and look how thick the cast is where the screws attach the press to the table.
Provided, every system can break at one point or another. And when it's a single stage press, the money to bleed makes it definitely not a big deal.
I paid $50 for mine years ago, and I reloaded thousands and thousands of rounds.

Funny you would post this. I just made a new one out a solid block of steel for a co-worker.

Next time use some case lube...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brians708</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id say that that one is broke dick.

I recently sent my RCBS Ammo Master press back. The sumbitch/ ram got too sloppy at the top... = a couple thou run-out in every thing I was loading.
They had it for 3 weeks and replaced everything but the damn arm. I was impressed with the service and turn around. Been using it since 99 and put 3-4k through it. Good luck and I hope they do you right! </div></div>

Interesting. I have the cheapo Lee and I like it 'cos its cheap and its sloppy. I take the spring out of the shellholder retainer so the case can float. I let the dies do the work.

for me the standard lee dies are a crock. i use the collet die which gives me great bangs for my buck plus Redding body die and seating dies.

"for me the standard lee dies are a crock."

Your comment is a common type, sliming the tools without any supporting data. Perhaps you could add some? Or maybe you fail to see the actual engineering thought that has gone into some of the Lee die's features.

Lee's aren't my favorite dies, except their Factory crimpers and Collet Neck sizers, but they do work quite well. Certainly as well as any but the Forster and Redding comp dies. And they aren't massively better, only slightly but consistantly so, in my experience anyway.

I've used a Classic Turret press for several years. I have a Co-Ax as well, but I leave 45-70 dies in the turret press for my cast bullet loads that I shoot a lot of. I also prime a lot of cases with it. It has always done excellent for me, as have lots of other Lee products. Good value in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"for me the standard lee dies are a crock."

Your comment is a common type, sliming the tools without any supporting data. Perhaps you could add some? Or maybe you fail to see the actual engineering thought that has gone into some of the Lee die's features.
</div></div>

Tried a set of Lee dies some years ago. Best TIR .005". Switched to inexpensive RCBS dies and didn't see more than .004". Don't even want to talk about my experience with a Lee Progressive.

Lee has many very innovative ideas. The FCD is great for tapered cases. If he would invest in quality control, I think his market share would increase.

The cheapest is seldom the least expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"for me the standard lee dies are a crock."

Lee's aren't my favorite dies, except their Factory crimpers and Collet Neck sizers, but they do work quite well. Certainly as well as any but the Forster and Redding comp dies. And they aren't massively better, only slightly but consistantly so, in my experience anyway. </div></div>

Happy to. Don't mean to slime Lee, I like their stuff but there is science behind both comments and it remains my opinion.

Best thing i did was buy a concentricity gauge. So I did a proper manufacturing job and tested my quality as i went along. Boy did I get a shock. Runout was all over the place on the case and the on the loaded rounds some were beyond 10 thou most were 5 thou - 8 thou. This helped me look at technique carefully but I consider this to be unacceptable.

I chose my words carefully, FOR ME they are a crock. Depends what you want to do. My chosen quality threshold is mine and may not apply for others. We can disagree. I want to control my runout much better than that and achieve this consistently without too much black art as I find this hard to repeat consistently.

So I went to the Lee Collet die to get more consistency on the neck runout. I can do this with one 90 degree turn and I consistenly get <2 thou. Great bit of kit for a good price.

I used the standard wobble seating die and could not get consistency between batches. Some were great others were awful (>4 thou), so I paid the money and got a Redding seating die. Even with cases with neck runout of 2 thou the finished round runout at the tip is < 1/2 thou on my test batches. So my experience of this combination of dies is that it is a massively better approach and i can consistently measure this.

So the Collet die is a fantastic tool to sort the case neck (I use a Redding body die as well) but the Standard FL die and the Seating die don't get anywhere close to an acceptable standard for me. All of this was off the basic press, hence my belief that it is about the dies (and the operator) not the press.

IMHO I don't believe the results I got with the standard die set are good enough. I have measured ammunition produced by others on RCBS standard dies and it wasn't any better. I can't extrapolate that to a comment about all standard die sets as I don't have any data.

I don't really believe this lives up to the manufacturers' suggestion that buying their basic kit allows you to make ammunition as good as factory. It is all very well being able to 'tailor' the round to your gun but if the dimensional consistency is poor then how can it be as good?

Personally i think my new obsession is a bit dull which I why I put in the summary, but with my engineering background it gives me some quiet satisfaction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You said in your OP that you had loaded a couple of thousand rounds with it before it broke. What a piece o crap!.......

The plastic/potmetal Lee hand primer that requires its own special set of shellholders. I always read how great they are from guys that have bought 3 of them because the first 2 broke. Really?...... </div></div>

The linkage breaking is the only problem I have had with this rig and Lee is making it right to my satisfaction. If YOU don't think the situation is acceptable then you have the right to not purchase any Lee products.

When I started reloading in '07 I purchased the full Anniversary Kit. I still use the Priming Tool, Powder Measure and the Press. I like the Lee Dies and have produced some fairly accurate ammo with them. I feel that Lee provides good products for exceptional prices.

This is much like a Chevy/Ford/Dodge debate. Bring any of them up in a room full of guys and let the trash talk begin.

I posted this info here for a couple of reasons. First, if you have one of these presses you need to keep an eye on the linkage. The cross bolt on mine was tight when it failed, but there was a time several months back when I noticed that it was loose. This may have stressed it and allowed it to fracture now.

Second I wanted folks to know what to expect if this happens to them. The Customer Service I received was more than acceptable. I advised a company of a problem with their product that was OUTSIDE of their advertised warranty period and they provided a solution that would be of no cost to me. Furthermore they offered a better solution at a fraction of what the press is worth.

It's an entry level product but based on how the situation is being handled I would have no problem buying one of their Classic Cast or their Turret Press.

Everything out there has problems. I like how this is being handled.

Data Fuzzball?

Or do you have a special pass to post vague patronising posts (that means talking down to me) without any data back up

I don't view 'quite well' and 'only slightly' as having any more validity than my opinion. Its just a weak view. In fact, my data disagrees with you

LW, I had the same thing happen serveral years ago with my Lee press. They replaced the parts for me as well without charge. I let the lilnkage get loose, read as... get off my ass and get a wrench next time. FWIW I did sell mine and buy a Redding, but the lee served me well.
I think the powder thrower and priming tools are absolutly a best value. The trim die and studs are slow but consistant, not to mention are a good idea that have a hard time getting a good feel with calipers. They also keep me from messing with adjustments on my other trimmer. And installed on a drill they aren't to bad, the holder is really the slow part.

Lee dies are priced right especially for odd ball, or seldom reloaded ammo.

HATERS! Geesh! The guy is satisfied with both the press and the service. If'n you don't want one, Don't get one.
smile.gif

I really like the cutter setup. I upgraded to the ball cutter and got a "Zip Trim" with the 3-jaw chuck. It's an arm workout, but other than that it works great. I need to get the stud that allows you to use the 3-jaw on my drill.

The only thing I don't like about the thrower is that the markings on it don't really mean anything. Once you get it dialed it, it's good to go, but getting it there takes a little finesse.

<span style="font-style: italic">Chick-a-boom chick-a-boom, don'tcha' just love it! </span>

Never have had a problem with my Lee primer pocket cleaner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If'n you don't want one, Don't get one.
smile.gif
</div></div>
The problem, HN, is that they insist that EVERYONE ELSE should get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ300MAG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next time use some case lube...
grin.gif
</div></div>
Think I saw a tin of <span style="font-style: italic">Imperial</span> in one of the pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he would invest in quality control, I think his market share would increase. </div></div>
Are you baiting me?
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">Chick-a-boom chick-a-boom. don'tcha' just love it! </span>

Never have had a problem with my Lee primer pocket cleaner. </div></div>

The decap die works well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he would invest in quality control, I think his market share would increase. </div></div>
Are you baiting me?
confused.gif
</div></div>

?
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are you baiting me?
confused.gif
</div></div>
?
confused.gif
</div></div>
Mentioning Lee's market situation around me is like using the <span style="font-style: italic">P</span>-word in the proximity of Boltripper. Are you sure you want to hear the lecture again?
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eddie NFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The decap die works well.</div></div>
Do you use yours with the Lee <span style="font-style: italic">Reloader</span> press? That'll keep the crap out of your good press. I use the Wilson punch and base for that purpose.

I've also had good luck with Lee's dippers, formally known as the <span style="font-style: italic">Lee Powder Measure Kit</span>. I take note that it isn't referred to as a <span style="font-style: italic">system</span>.

I'd be tempted to try their chamfer tool, except that I prefer a VLD type. Is there an accessory handle available for the chamfer, maybe a red plastic one?

Not sure what the P-word is, but this is the internet. I can use the back button.

I have an old Hornady Projector I use for decapping. Can't get parts for it, so...

I had a set of dippers back when I was a broke, no-rank youngster. Worked well enough until I could afford a measure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what the P-word is, but this is the internet. I can use the back button.</div></div>
I was referring to a very expensive, highly-automated powder measure and scale, now in its second generation, of which a series of photos will be displayed at the least provocation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edie NFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a set of dippers back when I was a broke, no-rank youngster. Worked well enough until I could afford a measure. </div></div>
So I'm a broke, no-rank oldster, but I use the dippers and trickling rather than throwing a charge and trickling. I've just foregone messing with powder measures, as in completely skipping the experience. If I ever do anything differently it'll be with the RCBS Combo. But I digress; this ain't <span style="font-style: italic">dissin'</span> no red plastic!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eddie NFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an old Hornady Projector I use for decapping. Can't get parts for it, so....</div></div>
I suppose that any dysfunctional piece of equipment can be substituted for a Lee product. (Now that's <span style="font-style: italic">dissin'</span>.)