• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buy a Sako TRG 338 or Build a Rem 700 308?

onlynameleft

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
I know these two calibers are quite a bit different but I would like to get my first true long range rifle. I am currently building an M1a in a sage ebr stock. I was planning on buying a Remington 700 5r with either a 24 or 20 inch and dropping it in a AICS stock. I ultimately want a 338 lapua and right now for a couple hundred more than the aics/ rem 700, I can get a Sako TRG 338! I did not know they were only $2,600... Anyways, I want to shoot 1000 yard competition with either option, is the 338 worth it? Sorry if this question sounds ridiculous, I'm about 80% through an all-nighter haha

Re: Buy a Sako TRG 338 or Build a Rem 700 308?

Check out the ballistics on the .260 Remington and .338 Lapua in these tables. The .338 Lapua puts more energy on target, but the drift and drop numbers are almost the same. Consider starting with an 5R/AICS combo in .308 and eventually re-barreling to .260 Remington for lower-cost shooting.

—Andreas

welcome to the Hide

the questions you have to ask yourself are:
Are you Reloading?
how much a shot do i really want to spend?
Whats practical?
do i want to be able to upgrade later?

Both are great rounds just dependant on application.
the .338 will still be humming along alot longer than the .308 so you wont suffer a transonic period and bullet destabilisation out to 1000 with the .338 but the .308 can do it quite effectively if you have taylored rounds.

as for the sako vs remington that has been beat to death im not going to say anything other than it all comes back to the quality assurance guys at the factory doing there jobs.
however the sako which is the premiere version of Ticca if you get that you can rebarrel it back to a .308 later if you like you wont be able to upgrade the rem700 short action up to the .338

.308 round great out to 900 odd meters then you need to have great rounds to be accurate enough to compete

.338 good all the way to 1600 meters roughly (might go way further effectively)

hope this helps

Ironically, I am considering the same delima (sub 308 for 300WSM). I think I have decided to go with the Sako TRG 338. Simple physics really, bullet has more mass and more energy. More energy makes the bullet's trajectory less susceptable to the forces of gravity and wind.

If cheap ammo isn't a factor, the 338 is the way to go. With its heavier bullet and higher poweder capacity, the 308 will neaver be able to measure up when it comes to distance.

Use the 308 for practice. The TRG is a damn good rifle, and will do anything you need it to do. If your set on doing a TRG, do it because you dont need to do anything to improve it.

If your looking for a TRG .338, PM me, have a deal for you.

do the .308. Unless you are reloading or have really deep pockets the .338 will put you in the poor house. Unless you have significant time (which it sounds like you dont yet) the .308 you will learn what you need to do to drive the rifle right. the .338 has its place (have two of them) and starting out in this game is not one if them.

I have nowhere near the amount of experience as most of the Hide members that post here. That being said, I have both of the rifles you are questioning. They are both fabulous. I definitely had to work on the Remy to make the most of it. Rail mount, stock, trigger, etc. The TRG, was, add optics, and spend an additional $455 on the TRG bipod (it IS a remarkable bipod).

If, as you say in your post, you are mainly wanting to shoot to 1000, I would go with the TRG .338. That bullet just reaches out there more easily. I am a novice shooter, and I don't have the wind reading skills of more experienced shooters. That is just not as much of an issue with the LM.

Some of the other responders have mentioned, there is the cost of ammunition. If you are not reloading, buying match ammo is not a cheap proposition. Match .308 is roughly $1 a round more or less. Match .338 LM is $5. Something to consider. This place; http://www.tacticalammunition.com/
has pretty good deals on Match ammo, so you can bring some of those costs down. Also other sites like Palmetto, and South West, have good match ammo at reduced prices.

Lastly, recoil. If you have shot the .338 LM, we can stop here. If you haven't, you definitely should before you make that kind of commitment. The TRG is a heavy piece, but there is still some kick. I think you shall have fun with whatever you decide. Best of luck.

Having gone the custom route before, I now have factory rifles (AI) and no customs. I would suggest the TRG since you know you want to eventually be at 338.

Chiller, that is a good point that I had not considered. I am not particularly recoil sensitive, but have also not spent much time behind a 338LM.

TRG42 with the factory brake or other aftermarket brake won't beat you up. The recoil from the TRG42 with brake is pretty tame.

love my .308 5R and AICS combo. Have you considered anything in between the two choices? .300 wm or 30-06 possibly

Get a TRG-22 in 308. About the same price as a custom and damn near bomb proof. Then, if you choose to move up to a 338 LM you can do it in the same platform for commonality. Then again, I may be biased.

Josh

All I can add to this is that I'm confident you would/will be very happy with the TRG (It's an amazing rifle and I can't see how it would be a bad choice).

Why not get both and get the Savage 110 FCP HS which is $1300 and you can still get that Rem 700 I also was thinking of doing the AICS but alot of guys I have talked to dont like the AICS that much anymore and I am new to all this so I am just saying but I have the Savage and its a Awesome gun for the money I cant believe I only paid $1300 for that gun I Invesed alot into it with the 8-32 NXS but I wanted to have a 1000+ setup. Anyway So my .02 is maybe get a diff stock and you can have your cake and eat it too getting the Savage if you want to get into that 338 lapua market , and my buddy has the TRG 42 and its a NICE GUN....... But I cant get him off my Savage and we were getting better groups same ammo he loaded it and we were grouping 5 shots touching a inch at 300yds thats all my local range acomodates and thats not even close to testing the Savage but it def prefered the 300gr over the 250gr and the recoil feels like my .308 really the only time I really feel it was when i was on my buddies TRG 42 and he agreed the TRG 42 has alot more recoil then the Savage.. So back o my point change the title of the thread to I am gonna buy a Savage 110 FCP HS and also build a Rem 700 308...

Thank you everyone for all of the responses! I did fail to mention that I reload so ammo cost will go down, even though the bullet tips on a 338 cost about the same as a 308 round... The suggestions here were all helpful. I believe that between my long range ARs and the M1A I will have "cheaper" practice options. I think I am going to put a scope on the M1A and probably pick up the 338 trg in the next couple of months! I am going to need some scope recommendations, so time to head to the optics section! Thanks again

The TRG is an awesome gun- the action is beautiful and smooth, with three lugs and machined like a custom action.

The .338LM ammo however is terribly expensive. So maybe Sako should mass produce some quality brass so that more people can afford to shoot their rifles.

As it is, the TRG 42 is an awesome gun, chambered in a round that is not economical.

.338 SAKO TRG + APA Fat Bastard Brake = Recoil of .308

Im sure the Fast Bastard is an excellent brake.... Wish i could have tried a few different ones before i purchased one for my trg 338LM... I went with the Surefire, It too is one awesome brake...at least in my eyes...

If you really like the way the TRG platform feels (& I do) then go with it, but in 308 first. BTW, since you do reload, I think Alex at Euro Optic still has some TRG22 rifles in 260 Remington.
You can always move up to 33LM later and, if you're still in love with the TRG, then your choice will be easy when you do.
Chiller also makes an excellent point about the 338LM potentially giving you bad habits too.

I'm going to agree with the small but vocal minority and say go with a TRG-22 in 308, I doubt you'll have any regrets.

For 1000 yard comps you are handicapping yourself a bit with the 308 and a
bunch with the 338. You'll be happier with something in 6.0 , 6.5 or 7mm. Keeping
yourself calm and concentrating for 100's of rounds is not easy with a big bore.
And the 308 gives up a bit in velocity to the smaller calibers.