• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

buy a second upper or a return to zero mount?

HornedFrog13

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2010
I'm currently debating buying a second upper or a return to zero mount. Right now I'm running an Eotech 553 on my AR, but I also want to be able to use my scope.

If I were to change between the scope and Eotech frequently, using the Eotech during the day and the scope at night.Would the return to zero mount work sufficiently or would it be easier to buy a new upper?

If any of you think the return to zero would work I am open to recommendations.

Thanks

How much magnification do you need? Possible solution is to mount a magnifier behind the Eotech.

What is it that your trying to accomplish? What needs are you trying to fill? Are you using your AR professionally, or just Walter Mitty type activities? Is your AR a carbine, SBR, or SPR? What can an Eotech provide during the day that it cannot provide at night? What can a scope provide you at night, that it cannot provide you during the day?

A good scope will make hours of daylight longer. An Eotech with or without a magnifier does nothing to gather light. Return to zero mounts should be advertised as returning close to zero! if you have a 2 moa gun it may be close enough. If you have a 1/2 moa gun you will likely be disappointed. GH

For me it would come down to what I planned on using the rifle for. For a gun set up with an Aimpoint or EOTech, I'd be comfortable using a quick detach mount (a quality one, like GDI or LaRue), for something up to say, an ACOG. If I want an optic with more magnification than an ACOG, like a nice Nightforce 2.5-10, I'd be getting an upper dedicated to that kind of shooting.