• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buy once cry once: Totally disagree

Re: Buy once cry once: Totally disagree

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadKap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think what it boils down to, as others have stated is:

Is my PST three times as good as my 10x SS? No. Is it twice as good? Yes.
</div></div>

A PST twice as good as a SS10X42? I will consider this for my next upgrade. I could sell my SS 10X42M with the cheap rings for what? $350? That glass hold it’s value pretty well. I must say it hold it’s value as good as a S&B galas (if not better).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why smoking meth and posting on the internet isn't a good idea.

Enjoy chasing your POI and wondering why your not on target when you dial with your piece of crap equipment. </div></div>

Enjoy chasing your POI and wondering why your not on target when you dial with your expensive S&B scope. You might realize that your astigmatism is making you cant the scope….
And where have you seen that the SS10X42 has any tracking issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 years ago I got a Savage 10FP 308. My begining setup was the stock rifle with a harris bipod and Millett TRS-1. </div></div>

I currently have the same setup. I just recently got a Choate Tactical stock and I have been working on my reloads. I have found that beyond all the gear there is one thing that usually causes me problems....ME

I could not afford a high-end scope so I went with as much quality as I could afford. I agree with the buy/cry once 100%. However, my buy level may be less than others.

The OP's reasons however, don't make a ton of sense. Don't think that with equal shooters you will get the same performance out of cheaper gear. It is expensive for a reason.

I accept the fact that my gear is not high-end and not expensive and I don't kid myself that I can play ball at the highest levels.

On the flip side of that, don't think that just because you buy expensive Air Jordans that you can play in the NBA either. It takes work with YOU, your reloads, and your gear to make it work.

LD

I think the most appropriate way is go is to buy the best equipment <span style="font-style: italic">you can afford</span>. This is not at all the same as saying, "Get the best money can buy". The better your equipment, the more likely the limitation is going to be you and not a cheap piece of kit. So get the best you can, which may or may not be the very best available on the market.

I must be a gear tard.Grant you I've hunted seance i was 12 an i am 51 now.I've shot critters out to 500 yds with factory stuff.Always been intrigued with shooting distance and yes i do have some knowledge of guns and shooting. But in the same token this is my FIRST build.I got a nightforce scope,American rifle rings,seekens pic rail manners T5A stock,Well you guys know what i mean all that good stuff that it takes to build a good accurate rifle.AND YES AGAIN I have over 5k in to it as of now.But I reseach,reseach,reseached.BUT IT STILL IS MY FIRT BUILD BUT NO ONE WOULD DO THAT.I am a gear tard

I did save for two years to do it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rottenron</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I must be a gear tard.Grant you I've hunted seance i was 12 an i am 51 now.I've shot critters out to 500 yds with factory stuff.Always been intrigued with shooting distance and yes i do have some knowledge of guns and shooting. But in the same token this is my FIRST build.I got a nightforce scope,American rifle rings,seekens pic rail manners T5A stock,Well you guys know what i mean all that good stuff that it takes to build a good accurate rifle.AND YES AGAIN I have over 5k in to it as of now.But I reseach,reseach,reseached.BUT IT STILL IS MY FIRT BUILD BUT NO ONE WOULD DO THAT.I am a gear tard

I did save for two years to do it </div></div>

+1

i'm still too cheap or stubborn or poor to cry once, but feel like a moron when my scope or other equipment goes belly up and i have to buy another one.

however the older / wiser / experienced i'm getting, i am realizing that at least the second time around you should go the top shelf route not only so you don't repeat the same mistakes, but that you can appreciate what top shelf gear does for you and that it's a more enjoyable experience all the way around.

take a popular piece of gear - scopes.

for years i looked through crap, and every 2 years had to replace it. looking back, if i just bought the good stuff in the first or second place, not only would i have saved myself time and money resighting in, but also not the hassle of "living" with a not so good image, perhaps not so exact adjustments, etc.

but at the same time, if i bought "the best" up front, i would not be able to fully appreciate what "the best" is, and what exactly i'm holding. plus i couldn't afford "the best" or at least better than average at the time.

but i do believe there is a time when the shooter realizes that he or she is being inhibited by their lower end stuff for various reasons and that an upgrade would indeed improve performance, at least from a mechanical advantage, say as in a trigger, optic, stock, etc.

perhaps "once bitten twice shy" should be the cliche attached to "buy once cry once"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mahk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Even though I don't think I'll ever use my weapons in serious situations, I always set my equipment up like I was going to war with it tomorrow.
</div></div>
If there was any chance that I would go to war with it, I would buy a S&B mounted on a AI right away. I would actually buy 2 of each. </div></div>

Remington 700s with shitty Leupolds worked more than fine for a long, long time. I'm sure mine will be okay. A S&B and an AI is a want for me, not a need. My rig is plenty durable and accurate.

Using this as a theme:

Go buy Harbor Frieght tools as a beginner gunsmith building beginner rifles for beginners. They'll just ruin them anyway.

How does the human race survive?

C.

It's hard to judge someone's financial situation. And when you take a step back.... this shit is EXPENSIVE. People on the outside looking in think we are crazy. Especially when this if this is a hobby, as it is for me. With that being said. You can waste your time buying crap, but at the end of the day, you will regret it. Especially when you're looking to upgrade and nobody wants to buy your junk. You can have quality gear without stepping up to a S&B or NF. There's deals out there and as more people get into shooting, the options are increasing. So, I agree with what other have said about buying what you can afford. But there is a certain level of investment that needs to be made if you are going to seriously get into LR shooting. Otherwise, you're wasting your time.

Buy once, cry once aggravates me. In certain applications its likely sound theory: rifles, barrels, and optics come to mind. All of these can be big ticket items and one should honestly evaluate their intentions and ambitions before deciding on them, better to have something that will take you where you want to go than something that holds you back.
When this theory aggravates me is when its applied to everything. A scope base has a simple job, they rarely, if ever, fail, buy one that fits your rifle and rings from a reputable manufacturer at a price level that makes you comfortable. A rifle stock must fit the shooter, provide a solid repeatable base for the action, always, and not touch the barrel, ever, resistance to enviromental factors is also a big plus if you play outside, the name doesn't matter. If you shoot competitively, or lives are on the line, get yourself a really good bipod, if you shoot as a hobby, you don't even have to have one. Packs, clothes and other accessories, if you don't use it every day, or even every weekend you don't need the absolute best, especially if you're the type that's going to upgrade to the latest camo, everytime the latest camo is announced, the really cheap stuff is not good, for anyone.
I don't buy really cheap shit, unless I fully intend to destroy it in short order. I will spend a bit more for something made domestically. But I'm not gonna make things tight for a hobby. Dollars spent don't make a marksman, equipment can limit one. Its a judgement call everyone has to make for themself. Can we come up with a different phrase? Just so "buy once, cry once" doesn't appear on every single, "which should I buy?" thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when you take a step back.... this shit is EXPENSIVE. People on the outside looking in think we are crazy. Especially when this if this is a hobby, as it is for me. </div></div>

Im sure if everyone were riding bycicles and we just dropped 2 or 3 times that much on a car they would think we are crazy too.

I started out with reliable but cheap stuff and horse traded and saved my way up to a Bat and USO. Then after getting there i traded down to a Nightforce, why? Because it was cheaper but still had all the necessary features i wanted.

If its just a hobby to you than unless you have alot of money your going to be rocking cheap stuff. If its important enough to you you'll come up with the funds. Sell the golf clubs, the race car, whatever else is less important and you'll have the funds...thats what i did. Rather than get tied up in 10 different hobbies i commited to hunting and shooting and its allowed me to get good stuff, and im just a dumb broke plumber.

I think alot of the guys on here are serious shooters which is part of the problem for the new guy/hobbiest. If you went to a racing forum and asked a bunch of competitive racers which cars and gear to get i think you would get similar answers.

Don't waste your money on spark plugs buy a super charger. Buy once cry once. Which IS good advice for anyone who thinks they will be taking this seriously.

I know this is 3 in a row for me but thinking about this makes it keep coming to me....

You don't want buy once cry once advice? OK

Buy a Remington 700 Varmit. Tune the trigger yourself. Bed it yourself. Buy a Karsten cheek piece. If it doesnt shoot .5-.75 moa at this point scrap the barrel and have a new one put on. Use a cheap EGW base. Buy Burris Rings and lap them yourself. Invest in some basic reloading gear and buy all the components you can afford. Shoot 2 to 3 times a week and practice dry firing in between. Pick up a used Vortex Viper in the for sale section. Read, educate yourself, practice what people tell you to see if it works. And like anything else you want to be good at...Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice (im getting really good at typing 'practice'), practice, practice....you get it?

There.

Or buy once cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But I'm not gonna make things tight for a hobby. Dollars spent don't make a marksman, equipment can limit one. Its a judgement call everyone has to make for themself. Can we come up with a different phrase? Just so "buy once, cry once" doesn't appear on every single, "which should I buy?" thread. </div></div>

Your comment made me think of all the posts I've seen, here and on other forums, from guys that have just spent a fortune on a .338 LM (or other "expensive to shoot") stick, and they're commenting on how they can't afford to shoot it much because of the ammo cost.

I mean, of ALL things, trigger time is the most important aspect of this hobby, right? It's even worst than the guys I know that own boats that collect dust because they can't afford to run 'em.

Buy what you can afford- and that includes shooting the hell out of it...

Since getting interested in shooting past 300 yards, I've always had great optics. I've sold a couple scopes but basically knew I could switch them to a better rifle. As far as rifles go, I shot a LTR and Rem. 5R for a long time - bedded both, added DBMs and Karsten cheekpieces. They weren't cheapo rifles but I didn't have a ton of money into them, yet they shot great.

When I really knew what I wanted, I sold off both (and in this market that meant taking a hit) and went for a custom build. I think you've got to shoot for a while before you will know what works and what doesn't. Getting out to a decent range or a competition or two will likely give you a chance to hold a custom rifle. (I got hooked into shooting in the first place by a generous dude with an M1A who let me shoot 40 rounds and wouldn't take a dime).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think alot of the guys on here are serious shooters which is part of the problem for the new guy/hobbiest. If you went to a racing forum and asked a bunch of competitive racers which cars and gear to get i think you would get similar answers.

Don't waste your money on spark plugs buy a super charger. Buy once cry once. Which IS good advice for anyone who thinks they will be taking this seriously. </div></div>

sums it all up right their

There is a time and place for everything.

When a customer walks into the store and asks for "a good accurate rifle", I always ask them what they consider to be accurate, and what they want to do with it. The guy who starts talking about his neck-turning process experiments and who currently has the best BC projectiles is going to warrant a different form of response than the guy who says "I wanna rifle for sum deeer, long range y'know, like two hunnerd yards er so."

Let's say that theoretically someone wants to get into long distance shooting. They can either A: spend money up front and pay for top-level gear for immediate use, B: buy cheap entry-level equipment and run it into the ground, or C: settle on some mixture of high-low methodology. No matter what course someone chooses, they're running the risk of "losing" in the sense that they ultimately fail to maximize their economic investment into the hobby. The guy who goes for Option A may wind up bored and dumping the gear for a loss. The guy who goes for Option B may wind up wasting money learning that cheap equipment breaks easily. And the Option C shooter may wind up making both mistakes at the same time, just to lesser degrees.

The only person who <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> knows is the individual themselves. Are they truly dedicating their time and effort to the sport, and have enough experience or skill to appreciate good gear? Do they need to spend six months or a year on a cheap rifle to learn some fundamental mistakes and get an idea of what they like or dislike? A salesman can't answer these questions, he or she can only raise them in the customer's mind and provide a source of information to assist in the decision.

Personally, I came into this hobby as a fairly experienced shooter with a pauper's budget, knowing no particular details of the sport but learning them through interaction and observation. The Remington 700 that I bought on a whim was essentially a waste of money, because by the time I figured out that I wanted to get serious I'd already acquired an AI and become ruined on anything less accurate or suitable. On the other hand, the old and beat-up Leupold that I picked up for a song served me incredibly well until I finally scored a deal on a Nightforce, because I bought a scope with the bare minimum of necessary features and a proven track record. I knew what gear was worth buying new, and which should be bought used to save money. At one point my rear rest was a $3 bag of decorative sand from Wal-Mart: ridiculous looking, unsuited for long-term use, and not quite optimally constructed...but it performed well for a couple of months, cost virtually nothing, and gave me cheap experience on the usable differences in fill materials.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you went to a racing forum and asked a bunch of competitive racers which cars and gear to get i think you would get similar answers.

Don't waste your money on spark plugs buy a super charger. Buy once cry once. Which IS good advice for anyone who thinks they will be taking this seriously. </div></div>

As a racer, I know that analogy doesn't apply. Outside of maybe safety gear, buying the best shit in racing is not the best idea. Stuff breaks all the time. Those that pay big money for parts are also more likely to have a failure as they are pushing the edge in power, weight savings, etc. And I certainly wouldn't tell someone starting out to go buy a Porsche Cup car over a cheap POS Miata. They would be much better off in a slower car, something even disposable if the case may be.

I say buy the best you can without too much remorse. Remember how much fishing boats cost 40k-70k. Its all relative.

While you are entitled to your opinion, I disagree. I am an avid hobbyest. Photography, alcohol, motorcycles, backpacking, handguns, and now transitioning into long range shooting. Being frugal past that, I save to buy quality gear for all things. When learning, I prefer to be limited by my own shortfalls vice the limitations of the accouterments.

That being said, I am not an idiot. I spent two years researching my first motorcycle, one deciding on the camera, and the last 3 considering the epic number of variables in my project rifle. Before I hit my first hill, I spent 3 months checking my gear, breaking in my boots, and working out.

Everything is in the approach and reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: domcintosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While you are entitled to your opinion, I disagree. I am an avid hobbyest. Photography, alcohol, motorcycles, backpacking, handguns, and now transitioning into long range shooting. Being frugal past that, I save to buy quality gear for all things. When learning, I prefer to be limited by my own shortfalls vice the limitations of the accouterments.

That being said, I am not an idiot. I spent two years researching my first motorcycle, one deciding on the camera, and the last 3 considering the epic number of variables in my project rifle. Before I hit my first hill, I spent 3 months checking my gear, breaking in my boots, and working out.

Everything is in the approach and reason. </div></div>

+1

I make sure I research extensively before I buy something, I don't have the kind of budget a lot of people around here have, I'm a college student and my family isn't exactly wealthy, but i try to buy the best that i can afford and make sure its quality is good enough to fit me. I was given a savage model 16 for my birthday last year, and wanted a new stock, so i reseached for at least 2 months and settled on the Stockade rollover cheek thumbhole with a bottom metal to take AICS magazines and a tactical nob, all from Kevin at Stockade. Do I wish i had more expensive gear, certainly, but am I satisfied with my gear as it is right now, also certainly. I know for a fact that my gun shoots better than me (I can usually get 5/8 MOA, but occasionally I actually try really hard and get sub 1/2 MOA groups, so I know I have work to do). So I would definitely have to agree with domcintosh's position.

Get what suits your needs. If you are like me and have seen seasons pass since the last time you shot, and your financial situation doesnt allow the use of your rifle, or the feeding of it. The fack that I have about 1500 invested in the rifle and the reloading stuff, and it sits because I am too broke to do anything with it. But if it were a $5500 GAP or something that I sunk a load of money into, and that rifle sat, unused the same way, then I would be a but frustrated. I dont cry about resale, If I want it I am keeping it.
When my budget improves I will be getting another. It will have GOOD parts not EXPENSIVE. A USO ST10 is a great scope moderately priced, and will accomplich my goal. Or a $600 Bushnell 6400 tac. These are good scopes. Not a Heinsholt or a SnB PMII by any stretch. But if the winds blow my way and it becomes financially attainable, then sure, I will get one. I would love to do a build on a Surgeon, BIG Horn, or some other custom action. One day I may, till then, a Savage action, and bushnell scope with egw/burris hardware and handloads will do just fine. Buy once, be happy.

I chose a Rem 700XCR Long Range Tactical in .308 for my first LR starting platform. I put on a Harris bipod, Turner sling, and a Nightforce direct mount, and started saving for the Nightforce scope. While I was saving, I was thinking about all the upgrades that I would get to. Do I put a Badger M5 in the HS stock for now, and upgrade the stock later, no maybe I should bite the bullet and get a Manners or McMillan now and only have the DBM installed once, bolt knobs...
I have had a lot of custom work done on some of my other rifles and shotguns, and the time without them can really add up. After seeing where the costs could add up to, and time that gunsmiths would have it instead of me, I changed direction. I sold the Rem without ever firing it, called up GAP and ordered a Hospitaller, then US Optics. I paid everybody and cried. Within 4 months I was getting nothng but uninterupted trigger time. I'm not getting any younger, and the trigger time is what is important to me.
This approach may not be for everybody, but it isn't foolish either. I would have spent more money in the long run, and had a lot less trigger time. I have a very solid and accurate rifle that will last me a long time. I'm happy with my decision. Oh, I couldn't afford this set up either, I just bit the bullet.

I learned a lot by buying a Rem 700 SPS in 308 and "building" it up with a new stock, picatinny rail, good scope, custom 260 barrel, trued action and custom trigger. Got a pretty good rifle too!

The racing car was just meant as a general illustration for being in a competitive community. To be competitive with the serious shooter you are going to have to invest a decent amount of money. Nobody will be showing up to a tac match with a barska and a factory rig and win it. That is why you get the "serious" remarks. This site has a lot of serious shooters that shoot at long distances, to keep up you gotta pay to play.

Would you tell a guy that wants to enter a race against porche gt3's to buy a miata?

Remember, everyone has their own undeniable/inalienable right to succeed or suffer, as they see fit.

Achieve or fail.

Partake in the race, or watch from the sidelines.

See a trend, or remain hiding their heads in the sand.

Patterns..... naaahhhhhhh. Nothing to see here. Move along.

I can kind of see where you are coming from .

I don't think you should go and buy a Gap for your first stick second one yeah but once you know you are going to spend some time in the sport yeah go for it .

As far as damaging you rifle cleaning don't even start that one there are more " Experienced " shooter damaging there rife and teaching new guy's how to half their barrel life and feel good at the same time .

Buy what you can afford it's about having fun for most of us . I have a pretty stock SPS T and you should see the snob's at the range when I turn up with it , it has the duct tape check pice and all it isn't a very pretty rifle . I got a lecher on how I could not be competitive in a match with a rifle like that and needed a .260 or something along those line's and after the douch had finished telling me what I needed I beat his score . I love 77smk's and USO SN-3's .

But I do have some very good DBM coming for the rifle from one of the guy's on the hide , I am also trying to get a MCM A5 for it ( if you have one let me know )

The point is buy what you can afford spend at least as much on glass as you did on you rifle .

Look at this .

Dave .

So, where would my starting rig come in on this discussion.
I will be ordering a Remington Milspec SS 5R, installing a Seekins mount, Seekins rings and a Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x44. I have the scope and rings.
I plan on keeping it pretty much stock for a while, although I may look into getting the barrel, receiver and bolt coated. That stainless finish is shiny.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So, where would my starting rig come in on this discussion.
I will be ordering a Remington Milspec SS 5R, installing a Seekins mount, Seekins rings and a Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x44. I have the scope and rings.
I plan on keeping it pretty much stock for a while, although I may look into getting the barrel, receiver and bolt coated. That stainless finish is shiny.

Jim </div></div>

That is a pretty good starter's rig plenty of room to add to it as you need .

Buying good quality from the start is usually a better decision for a persons wallet

One of the things I like most about this as a hobby is that you can't win by outspending everyone else. A good shooter with a fair rifle will be able to outperform a fair shooter with the best equipment almost every time. I like that aspect of this sport. As a hobby, I enjoy the learning curve as my developing skills outdistance my equipment, and I need to research and upgrade. I don't consider that a 'waste', and I don't cry about it.

For myself, even if I had been given an unlimited budget to get into this hobby with, I would have ended up buying nice stuff, but chances are it would have been the wrong stuff. That's because I lacked the experience to know what I needed, and no amount of 'internetting' can replace that experience. A new shooter needs good, functional, serviceable gear, not custom top of the line everything.

Spend any extra money you have on ammunition and as many rifle training courses as you can afford. Training and trigger time will make a better shooter than custom guns.

By once cry once is like.....you get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just wanted to share my thoughts on this. I’m reading this comment a lot. I disagree with this in most cases (especially on rifle and scope recommendation). Usually this advice is given to beginners. Many consider themselves as advance shooters but they’re actually advance beginners (me included).

1. An advance Beginner could easily damage his equipment.
Before buying a high end rifle or scope, I would make sure that I make all my mistakes on cheaper equipments. How many beginners don’t know the proper cleaning method for a rifle? How many don’t fully understand the proper method of mounting a scope (torque, cant, etc..). How many beginners don’t have the proper tools?
Becoming knowledgeable in this area takes time and practice. A beginner WILL make mistakes. It just better to not make those mistakes on high end equipment. If you’re cleaning your rifle without a bore guide and a cheap rod, you better not have a GAP rifle. If you don’t exactly know how to mount a scope (it’s actually much more complicated than what I initially thought), then you better not buy a S&B.

2. You will enjoy your high end equipment much more if you have previously owned something cheaper.
I truly believe that you appreciate good things if you go through a learning curve and if you start with cheaper equipment. How can you judge how well a S&B tracks and how clear the glass is, if you have nothing to compare it against? How can you appreciate the quality of a Surgeon action if you have never owned a factory Remington or Savage?

To conclude I would say “If you buy once”, you might cry a lot more than just once.
</div></div>

As with everything in life there is a balance in perspective with wants vs needs, levels of quality in gear, end goals, financial constraints, the list goes on and on.

Too me it doesn't make sense for someone making a low income to buy/charge/take loan out for a AIAX/S&B $11,000 combo right off the bat even though that combo might be considered the end all buy once cry once decision.

Now if the same combo is easily affordable to another guy then the same AIAX/S&B combo is probably a good idea. Learning curve's aren't all they are cracked up to be,LOL. If you are concerned you might mess something up then "STOP" and learn how to do it right. There's no excuse these day's with the knowledge available at your finger tips via the internet.

The moral of the story is to buy "at the very least", a respectable level of quality that you can afford and that will work reliably, even if you have to save up for a while ,sell other stuff to buy or even charge a little the CC and pay some interest.

I wish I had heeded my own advice years ago. Learning curve's be damned,LOL.

I'm at that crossroads right now. I own a couple of Kimber 8400's in 7WSM - Classic and a Montana. Both with Leupolds on them, they are hunting rigs pure and simple.

Now due to some great advice from a trusted hunter friend, I'm contemplating a GAP non-typical in 7WSM with S&B PMII 10x42 scope. And then sell my Kimbers and simplify my hunting arsenal.

I bought a SS 10x scope (my first scope) and I hated it. Turned around and bought a Falcon Menace, it was a little better but didn't like like it either. Then I turned around and bought the one I really wanted a Nightforce. There is a big difference between the SS 10x and a Nightforce, the Nightforce is 3x's better. After receiving my Nightforce I can't stand looking through the other two scopes. Its a Night and Day comparison.

I am a believer in "buy once and cry once"

When I was first beginning this sport I bought a 17HMR; fires a very light, VERY fast round so I figured it'd be perfect for learning wind/elevation and scope adjustments. Bought a Savage, the accuracy on the rifle was exceptional and had a low price tag. About 600 dollars in on the rifle + optics.

So the moral of the story is: You can buy lower cost equipment that's quite good, just train with lower cost ammunition; such as the 17HMR or 22LR. Hell; if you want to learn to shoot - pick up a 223.

Rem 700s are exceptional with a few low cost adjustments and you can go grab a decent bushy scope for 200 dollars that'll get you punching .5moa at 100 without any issues. Hell, get a 700 in 223 + scope you're looking at maybe 750 used, 900 brand new and the ammo's piss cheap and good for longer (500-750 yards) range. As they said: Buy rifle, find ammo that it likes, buy crapton of that ammo and practice as much as possible. That's a hell of a lot easier to do with a 223 than say a 308, 260 or 300WM

^^^Well said. Nothing will improve your shooting more than shooting more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when you take a step back.... this shit is EXPENSIVE. People on the outside looking in think we are crazy. Especially when this if this is a hobby, as it is for me. </div></div>

Im sure if everyone were riding bycicles and we just dropped 2 or 3 times that much on a car they would think we are crazy too.

If its just a hobby to you than unless you have alot of money your going to be rocking cheap stuff. If its important enough to you you'll come up with the funds. Sell the golf clubs, the race car, whatever else is less important and you'll have the funds...thats what i did. Rather than get tied up in 10 different hobbies i commited to hunting and shooting and its allowed me to get good stuff, and im just a dumb broke plumber. </div></div>

I agree with most of what you're saying. Sometimes I look around the house and decide what I don't want anymore, then it hits ebay. The point I was trying to make is that whether or not it's important to me, others (ie my wife and her family) think I'm nuts. I've had a hard time justifying purchases up to this point. So I can empathize with others. Shooting isn't my profession, so even though I love it and it is important.... it's still one of my hobbies. I know that ppl on here are serious and it's thte same reason I'm here. Btw, i've got about $2k in my other sticks... but golf is just as important.

This was a fun read ... but really you do get what you pay for.
And with all this buying and crying........ then reselling and crying some more seems like there is some pretty good deals in the exchange

just my thoughts..
wink.gif