• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying Accuracy Int. Rifle

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
I am on the fence on buying AI AT. It will definately be most expensive rifle I have ever bought. Have you ever regreted buying your AI?

1616454153557.png

My only regret on owning an AI is that is did not do it sooner. Just be careful as it gets very addicting.

Attachments

• 20201221_123537.jpg
    20201221_123537.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20201221_123530.jpg
    20201221_123530.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 124
Nope, not at all, my favorite rifle. Buy one, in the off case its not for you, they have strong resale if you buy used.

No. Somewhere I have a document of all the reasons I listed to justify the AXMC to myself. My pro/con list evolved into pretty much be a pro list. Turns out they were all valid.

Reactions: FALex
Outside of some obnoxiously over-FALex's-budget gun, like a minigun or something else that is super sweet, an AIAX is pretty much my "grail" gun.

One day...hopefully soon.

I regret not buying one sooner. Best rifle I’ve had forsure

Only regret is not doing it sooner. It makes me focus and shoot more deliberately, because any miss is shooter error. Kinda cool...knowing your limits in a very quantitative way.

Still puts a smile on my face!

Same here

Only regret is I spent money elsewhere for years when AI is what I really wanted

Sold a bunch of guns last year to fund my AIAT/NF ATACR

Sold a bunch more this year to fund my AXMC/NF ATACR. Still putting this one together

Zero Regerts 😁
873E5339-2B12-4D3C-A7B3-6D645B2BB220.jpeg
953471B5-E5D7-4715-8621-726366FD654E.jpeg

I bought my FDE folding AIAW 10 years ago and never have regretted it. My favorite best shooting rifle. I've often thought about upgrading to an MX but doubt it would shoot any better Than my AW. You'll never regret buying an AT:).

Last edited:
I had an AIAIX for about 6 months. It was a great rifle, but not worth anywhere near the premium over other great options (for me). Trigger was lacking a scosh, quick change barrels are more of a novelty as any rifle can change barrels in about 10 mins with the right tool and ergos werent ideal (personal preference). It was also heavy and no recourse for reduction. For all of those reasons, as well as the extra $3K I could pocket led me to sell.

The "buy once, cry once" mantra never made sense to me. There are opportunity costs associated with $4-$7k purchases that can absolutely outweigh the initial cost and that is not a "forget it" situation for many fiscally minded decision makers.

Last edited:
I am on the fence on buying AI AT. It will definately be most expensive rifle I have ever bought. Have you ever regreted buying your AI?
I have two and no regrets , Schmidt and bender 3-27 on one of them . No regrets with that purchase either , and I saved for a while .cry once but once .

Do it!!! I recall I time when I thought it was crazy to spend that amount of money on a rifle. I was thinking about doing a Badger M2008 action in an AI chassis and thought that would be just as good for less money. Not saying anything negative about Badger actions but I changed my mind and took the plunge and bought a used AX from this forum about 8 years ago....WOW, that rifle was and still is amazing. Then AI announced the new AX rifle, skeletonized stock that folds over the bolt handle, quick change barrel....I was SOLD. Now I have two AX rifles and there will be a THIRD. The third will be an AT with AX buttstock conversion....oh yes, it will be mine!!!!!

Reactions: straightandtrue
Do you get excited and attached to other inanimate objects? If you do then you will probably LOVE your new AI. If you don’t get wrapped upped in other non living things such as cars, clothes, etc then you may be disappointed in the hype and realize that this rifle is just another choice. A high quality choice but just that and no more.

Buy once; cry once; happy ever after. Seldom does one regret buying excellent gear. However, the sweetness of cheaper options typically soon sour with poor performance, shorter life cycle. Often the lesser cost option ends up costing way more as one becomes disappointed and buys the higher cost option anyway.. Pride in owning excellent gear is also really nice. And, should you have to sell in the future, the better gear will typically retain more of its resale value. Assume this applies to AI, although myself I'm a Barrett guy. Both great options.

Buy the ATX, if you buy the ai at you will have tons of regret.

Why the regret?

I love my AT and wouldn’t trade it for any short action AI model currently offered

Last edited:
Why the regret?

I love my AT and wouldn’t trade it for any AI model currently offered
It’s better in every way. Would you rather buy a base model 2018 Ford raptor or a 2023 Ford raptor with key start ignition, ass warmers, and jizz catcher?

AI-AT owner here... I think a lot of us here took the route of selling off a bunch of gear to afford the AI we purchased. The only regret was spending money on other rifles in the first place. It was the best decision i've ever made in the shooting sports. Someone mentioned the buying AT-X and I would tend to agree with that (for a lot of reasons) if you're planning on shooting competitions at all. If that doesn't interest you, then save the $1K, buy the AI-AT and an extra barrel.

Not necessarily. It looks nice. But it’s the same action. It’s geared towards the comp crowd. If you don’t compete, there isn’t a point. Shooting from a bench or prone will be the same. I have an AXMC and I love it. I love switching from 300 win mag to 6.5 creed at the range. But if I was buying now, it would be an AXSR then the AT-X. It is nice having the most up to date model. But they wouldn’t make me a better shooter.

Not necessarily. It looks nice. But it’s the same action. It’s geared towards the comp crowd. If you don’t compete, there isn’t a point. Shooting from a bench or prone will be the same. I have an AXMC and I love it. I love switching from 300 win mag to 6.5 creed at the range. But if I was buying now, it would be an AXSR then the AT-X. It is nice having the most up to date model. But they wouldn’t make me a better shooter.
You basically proving my point. If you were buying today, you would pick AXSR over AXMC. OP if buying today should pick AT-X over AT.

Why? If he's not competing, its a waste of money
How much money is saved, can you link me to a new AT? You can change grips which would make prone fit you best. Plus, you know you don't have to compete to shoot off of a tripod while hunting or firing alt positions.

You basically proving my point. If you were buying today, you would pick AXSR over AXMC. OP if buying today should pick AT-X over AT.
And part of that is price. Just depends. I agree it’s nice to have all the new and latest stuff but it’s not necessary and won’t shrink your groups.

How much money is saved, can you link me to a new AT? You can change grips which would make prone fit you best. Plus, you know you don't have to compete to shoot off of a tripod while hunting or firing alt positions.
If hunting buy a hunting rifle. Even at its lowest weight, the AT-X is a pig at 13+ lbs. if someone wants to dip their toes in the AI world, buy a used one. People will be selling them at a huge discount here shortly to buy the AT-X. If you want the newest, by all means get the AT-X. But you don’t have to in order get what having an AI is all about.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
new to new? $800-ish. i.e. about a 20% premium for features many dont want or need.
Any AT to any AT-X? $1500+.
Plus, you know you dont need an AT-X to shoot off tripod.

Op. People that don’t want you to buy the newest stuff probably have the older stuff and want you to buy used so they can buy the newest stuff.😂🤣😂🤣. Just do the research and buy what you want.

Reactions: Junglejohnny
new to new? $800-ish. i.e. about a 20% premium for features many dont want or need.
Any AT to any AT-X? $1500+.
Plus, you know you dont need an AT-X to shoot off tripod.
Can you link me to new at that is 4200? Atx is lower center of bore better for shooting alt positions. Sooo do you...

I think it really comes down to if you want an AI then which one. New, old, AT, AT-X AX, thumb hole vs pistol grip....all have variations different fit and feel. Action is “basically” the same. Would I like the new AT-X yes.... but I’m not selling my AT to get it.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
I think it really comes down to if you want an AI then which one. New, old, AT, AT-X AX, thumb hole vs pistol grip....all have variations different fit and feel. Action is “basically” the same. Would I like the new AT-X yes.... but I’m not selling my AT to get it.
You say that now, but wait until you shoot the at-x.

Reactions: Recon Marine
Can you link me to new at that is 4200? Atx is lower center of bore better for shooting alt positions. Sooo do you...
Theyre at Mile high & europtic. Do you work for AI? You seem hellbent on convincing everyone the only good rifle is the newest model. Do you also feel the need to upgrade your phone as soon as the newest model drops? Probably lease new vehicles too?

Theyre at Mile high & europtic. Do you work for AI? You seem hellbent on convincing everyone the only good rifle is the newest model. Do you also feel the need to upgrade your phone as soon as the newest model drops? Probably lease new vehicles too?
Look. I can tell when someone is salty that they have the older version. You are the guy. No one can link a new AT at 4200. It’s more like 4500ish, At that price gap, why would OP buy old if he doesn’t own one yet??!!

And I don’t think ai would hire someone that says jizz cup. Plus, if I like fancy things, why are you so salty about it. Let me live my best life.

NO regrets. Own 2 rifles (AW & AX) and one chassis with Vudoo barreled action. I'm into bicycles and guns. the same philosophy applies: buy the best you can afford and wear it out.