• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Buying actions?

johnstonblake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
Forgive my ignorance, but what would be some good options for buying an action by itself for a 260 build? I'm having trouble finding actions online that aren't a billion dollars.

i'd like the build to be a budget build, so i'm curious to know what you guys would buy for a "best for the money" action.

Re: Buying actions?

I don't really want a custom action, more like wanting to buy a quality factory action by itself, and save a little money instead of buying a donor rifle.

By the time you get done having a "cheap" action worked over,blueprinted,side bolt release.....you will quickly realize you should have just spent the money in the first place. If you're going to cut some corners to save money on a new build the action is definitely not a good place to start. Many will tell you stiller is your best value. Good luck

<span style="font-weight: bold">I KNOW I'M GOING TO PISS OFF SOME REMINGTON/CUSTOM PEOPLE AND STEP ON SOME TOES HERE SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T READ IT...</span>

I'm gonna call BS on the whole notion that you have to spend BIG $$$ to have an accurate rifle...I along with too many others on here have NOT BOUGHT INTO THE REMINGTON/CUSTOM IS THE BEST WAY TO GO argument...You CAN build an EXTREMELY ACCURATE, ROBUST, RELIABLE PRECISION RIFLE on a budget...I've done it...so have hundreds of others here...they are almost always a Savage...

While it does help give you a warm fuzzy...balancing, timing and blueprinting doesn't, in my opinion have the ROI (return on investment) that your going to pay for. Perhaps years ago but with today's exceptional CNC tolerances on average factory guns the level of fit and finish is <span style="font-weight: bold">often </span>comparable to what highly skilled gunsmiths could accomplish years ago...now I'm not saying today's gunsmiths are NOT worth the $$$ your paying them...NOT AT ALL...I fully plan on going to one of them in the near future to build a rifle <span style="font-weight: bold">with</span> me simply to see how much more accuracy I could wring from one...it will be a scratch build, barrel blank, custom un-inletted stock and custom action job along with on site load development...simply because at this stage in my life I can...

If you go Remington your going to involve a gunsmith out of necessity.

If you go Savage you can do it all yourself.

You can with a few tools become a barrel nut junkie...(Savage Nut)

Start off with a lighty used Savage action in the caliber/action length you want (LA or SA)...you can get an older flat back 10/110 with a 3 screw trigger of one of the new round back with an accutrigger ($275-$350)

Get an accurate pre-fit barrel, Shilen, McGowen, CBI or Hart to name just a couple ($300-500)

Get a quality stock ($250-$500)

Get a quality mount and rings ($150 or so)

You've spent $1000 or so at this point maybe up to $1500...spend that much on glass...

Buy quality brass and components and develop a load for YOUR GUN...shoot the piss out of it...

I have a Savage 110 in .308 with a hand lapped factory barrel, tuned trigger sitting in a Choate Tactical stock (poor mans A-5), an EGW 20MOA mount, Burris Xtreme rings and an SWFA scope (yes I am upgrading it to a NF) I load/reload Lapua brass, Sierra 175 Gr BTHP's, Federal Primers and 4350 and shoot .26" 5 shot 100 yd holes anytime we go to the range together. She will shoot an inch or under at 300 and once I get a new scope (42X) she will be my F T/R gun at 1000 for local matches. I've had 3 Savages, all were .5 MOA guns out of the box with factory and or handloaded ammo. I have less than $800 in the rifle w/o scope.

Yes you can do it on a budget...but most of the high dollar shooters have a hard time swallowing it...its a bitter pill for them to swallow when I am shooting rings around them with their $3-5K guns...now that's not to say their are not a lot of very nice Remingtons out there..there are, and some very good shooters behind them...they are the Gold Standard in accuracy...but so are some of the much lessor expensive Savages out there...

Capt Beach

Savage model 12 Long Range Precision chambered in .260 would be a great place to start. The LRP action is a solid top and very rigid, it comes with a decent HS Precision stock. You may be surprised how well the factory barrel shoots. If you aren't satisfied with the factory barrel you are a barrel swap (which you can do yourself with a barrel nut wrench and headspace gauge) away from the custom barrel of your choice.

Buds Guns sells the 12LRP for $800ish.

savages shoot don't get me wrong, i had one that was a laser, i just do not like the feel of em. I would much rather have a PTG bolted r700 and if another person tries to tell me its the same price as a surgeon i'm goin to go nuts. it is proven and i have seen them on a regular basis for about 600 bucks with PTG bolt and trued so i could afford two for 1 surgeon. (please bring on the "have you ever had a surgeon" debate cuz that one is awesome too)

I'm with CaptBeach , amen brother !!!! I've said the same thing many times .

I have 3 custom (field rifles) tactical and 3 custom benchrest rifles. All by top smiths. I have 2 factory rem700and 2 savages. Ohh and one win m70. All are great shooters. My most accurate rifle i have is my savage. Its a factory bbl in 308 in the. Choate "ultimate sniper" haha. I will say its not as consistently accurate as the other ones it has impressed the living shit out of me. I have one 3 br matches with it. I will say that i never shoot it now compared to my customs. The savage doesn't go out because of a few reasons. The action is smooth but requires more force the cycle, its not as rugged as the others. Its less forgiving with weather change and travel, its a 308 and not a 6.5 or magnum so ballistics arent as good as others but as far as pure ac accuracy goes. Its a real shooter. So for a budget build, you should be good. You can buy a bare action too. Btw, both my savages out shoot my 2 stock m700's. I like the 700's better but the savages have better accuracy

I have 2 savages, 1 is a 10 FP HS .308 and one is a 10 predator hunter max in .260. Both are more accurate than I am and both cost me less than $1000 ea. I picked up the .260 with the Fluted 22" barrel and it is a one hole gun... Oh did I mention that I only paid $800 for the .260!!! I could not be any happier with my Savages...

You don't have to build a budget gun anymore when you can pick one up new, reload some good rounds for it and make your friends Jealous that their Remmy won't do it...

Good Luck!!

I too agree that Savages shoot with the best of them, but I don't own any. If a Remington is correctly built, you are not going to out shoot it with a Savage or anything else. What you can do is shoot on par with the Remington for a little less, which is perfectly fine. For some people the fact that Savage started as an affordable rifle, which some define as cheap is enough not to buy it. Again, I'm not one that thinks this way, but it's the way it is. I chose the Remington because I was Basiclly a builder before getting serious about shooting, so that's what I know. As for custom actions such as Stiller, they don't cost a billion dollars. They are worth what you pay for them. Just some guys that can't do the work, or want to pay for the work, will talk down about them.

This is relative in many things in life, like automobiles, boats, clothes, etc, etc.

So, in short, if you want better accuracy, but aren't a machinist that can do the work, or don't feel like paying someone else to do it for you, buy a Savage. If money and time is no big deal, and you want more options, and status, then go Remington, Winchester, or any of the customs out there.

BTW, these are opinions that we as free Americans have a right to. So this, or anything said before me shouldn't bother anyone.

Don't get me wrong..Stiller, BAT and Montana as well as many others make an exceptional action...but if I can shoot .25 MOA consistently with a $800 gun that will last a life time shooting those .25 MOA groups as long as I feed and care for it...why would I spend upwards of $5K for anything else? Why I could spend the other thousands on wearing out that barrel shooting it and replacing it with another...

Now GLASS is a completely different story...

Capt Beach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlakeJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ForgiveppO my ignorance, but what would be some good options for buying an action by itself for a 260 build? I'm having trouble finding actions online that aren't a billion dollars.

i'd like the build to be a budget build, so i'm curious to know what you guys would buy for a "best for the money" action. </div></div>
Op
Seeing how you haven't gotten the answer I think you want, I'll let you know what I've done in the past. Since Remington doesn't offer their actions for sale, you will have to buy a donor rifle most of the time for about $450.00 to $500.00 new at Walmart. You can also buy used at about the same price or slightly less. Sometimes Brownells will offer them at about $400.00 for a stripped action. Everyone on this site knows what they're worth, so great deals here are hard to come by. I have heard of people getting them for $250.00, but I have never been so fortunate. So take your pick.

I personally buy used older Remington actions when ever I come across them weather or not I need them. That is, if they are at a decent price. I no longer buy the customs for my self because after I'm done playing around in the shop while smoking a good cigar, the Remy will shoot awesome for no cost in labor. If I couldn't do that, then I think I would save and go with a Stiller. Again, I don't want to sound contradicting, as I do own about 8 Stillers that were in my inventory when I closed up shop. I have since built rifles on all but one, and have no intentions of selling any of those. I hope this helps you make a decision as to where to buy a Remy action if you need one.

Brownells sells Remington 700 actions last tlme I checked.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul.