• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying bulk 55g .223 bullets to reload

Raydee38

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
NY
Recently I got a pretty good deal on bulk Hornady 55g bullets and have been loading them up for a while now. They seem good for average plinking but for anything other than that am I wasting my time trying to get them to group good? I can get them to group fine at 50 yards but anything beyond that and they are 2 MOA or more.
Should I look for a better bullet if I want to shoot more precise?

Most of the bulk 55 FMJ's and even SP's in my expirence are not better then a 1.5 MOA load.

You dont mention what your shooting them in, which often has a effect.

Most folks load them to a specific speed and go with it, although there may be something to had be working up a load

If you want more accurancy IMHO you have to jump up to a match bullet that fits your twist (52,68-69, 75, 77, 80)

One of the guys on here with a hell of a lot more experience made a comment in a thread one time to the effect of plink and practice with what you shoot or compete with. It made sense to me and that is what I have done from then on. Figure out what your gun likes and load that recipe. Its good to be able to go shooting and know how she will behave. Several of my buddies have started rolling their own after seeing repeatable results from my guns vs. having to figure out each range trip where their guns will hit.

There are some good buys on bulk bullets on here in the PX section from time to time and some damn good buys on them across the net for 223/5.56. Some others on here can help you narrow down where to start for what you have, just post some info on your rifle and barrel to give a starting point.
Good luck!

Yeah you didn't mention what you are shooting them in or what the intended purpose is but that's the bullet I use in my AR for 3 gun hoser stages where 2 moa doesn't matter but when I have to be more precise I use 69 gr SMKs and they will shoot pretty close to 1/2 moa. The 55 gr FMJs are not for serious target work but cost .10 cents each where 69 gr SMKs are .20 cents each. If I was shooting a bolt gun for target work or hunting I wouldn't use 55 gr fmj.

I originally bought these 55gr FMJ's to shoot through my AR but have since got into more precision shooting. I am using a couple different 1-9 twist bolt guns and have noticed the same results leading me to believe that it may be the choice of bullet that is the problem. I think I will pick up some better bullets and see how the results are compared to the bulk 55gr that I am using now. I can always use the 55's in my AR since I am usually not really shooting for groups with that rifle.

My Rock River will shoot about 1 MOA with Hornady 55 FMJ .I use 25 Grains of H-335 with Wolf SRM Primer(I use the hotter version for ball powders). Brass was Lake City.Like other have said use match bullets for precision work.I find the 55 grains are fine for pinking at 200 yards or under.Match bullets with a good load should get you under a 1/2 MOA with a good rifle.

Regards,Mike

I received a box of 6,000 Hornady 55gr FMJ with cannelure which I will be testing out shortly along with 69gr SMK's and 77gr Nosler Custom Competition's.
I have a Stag 3G with an 18" E.R. Shaw stainless barrel and I'm completing a Noveske Afghan build with the 14.5" 1-7" twist Stainless barrel.

I'm curious to see how each of these rifles perform with the above ammo.

I pick up 500 55gr bullets for basically nothing they dont shoot that well 1.5 MOA , but im am using them to practice my positions and to just get some cheap trigger time, they seem to work pretty good for that.

I shoot these out of two different AR15 rifles and a bolt action Savage with a 26 inch bull barrel. Accuracy with the bolt gun and a scope can't be compared to a AR15 with iron sights or a red dot. For that matter you can't compare my A2 HBAR to my carbine with iron sights. Your rifle, your eyes and your trigger finger control accuracy.

Zmax_zps46455064.jpg

Do you want to make long range head shots on Zombies?

silhouettezombie_zps0faf3cdd.jpg

Or lay down suppression fire?

Zombietargets_zpscb65209a.jpg

Are the hornady bulk really that much different than the 100 count boxes? I routinely get groups under 1inch with the box hornady sp's. I have 2 500 count packs but havent tried them yet.

I couldn't get the 55 hornady with canulure to shoot. It was 1.5 moa bullet. My 77 grain seconds 1 or better moa. Was not going to waste a Krieger barrel on 55's. Sold them. Only bought them because there was nothing else available during last year.

I feel much better about my shooting. I will be picking up some better bullets and see how it goes.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

About 5 years ago I bought a 1000 rounds of the Hornady Bulk Bullets and had the same problem. The groups were huge. I switched to Sierras and cut the group down to sub min with the same powder charge.
I still have about 800 of the Hornady Bulks left.

I couldn't get the 55 hornady with canulure to shoot. It was 1.5 moa bullet. My 77 grain seconds 1 or better moa. Was not going to waste a Krieger barrel on 55's. Sold them. Only bought them because there was nothing else available during last year.

Same exact thing....18" 1:8 BHW 5.56 barrel.

Loves 77 Noslers and hated Hornady 55 FMJBT.

Same thing with my sig.1.5 moa at 100yds with 23.5 grs of benchmark.So I just use them when I want to go plinking.Not what I would try to shoot for accuracy.

Im not saying its match, not comparable to the 69smk or 55 gr hpbt but just using a powder drop, surplus mil brass, little or no case prep I get about 1 moa. Thats out of a used savage 10 that usually shoots .75 moa with everything else. Havent tried it in my savage 12 or rockriver yet. Not impressive but adequate for most applications.

I have had a little different experience granted this is factory ammo. But 52gr and 55gr fmj black hills match shoots half MOA at. 100yds out of my Larue AR. Different bullets? Powder? But it works great out of my gun. I have also loaded the 69gr smk's myself with good results. Zz

So I just wanted to post a follow up. I bought some 55gr Hornady Vmax bullets and loaded them up using 23.9gr of TAC. I loaded them 30 thousands off the lands in my Savage model 11 with 20" barrel, Evolution chassis and SWFA Super Sniper 3-15x42mm scope and had great results. I only loaded 10 of the Vmax bullets to try out and I think they work very well in my gun. Here is a shot at 100 yards today, first two I thought were hole for hole, last one I pulled a little bit. Next time out I will load a bunch.