• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying Powder???

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have been reloading for a while now and and am tired of buying 1LBS bottles of powder for my precision reloads and am looking to buy larger amounts (8LBS) at a time. My local stores only carry my powder(IMR 4064) in 1LBS and not 8LBS jugs and if I try to purchase on the internet Im slapped with hazmat charge that voids the savings of buying the larger amount. Do you guys just stick to buying whats local or are there and ways around buying on the net?

Re: Buying Powder???

I only buy online. I try and get a buddy or two to order as well and than split the hazmat fee and shipping. Otherwise just buy 2-3 jugs and I bet it will still be cheaper than local.

I have a place locally that I can get the 8lb jugs. Though I usually get my supplys from PowderValley.com. I load for a few different cartridges using three different powders, large & small primers and just order multiples of everything. It makes the HAZMAT fee & shipping less than the local prices.

Do I ever miss Sportsman's Warehouse......

Yep, gotta stock up all at once. Couple months ago, Powder Valley had a deal if you bought 10k Tulsa primers, shipping and hazmat was free. I made use of that a couple times over - and now im squared away on primers for a while.

The proprietor at Lynnwood Guns, Randy Ketchum, is an accomplished gunsmith, inventor, and experimenter. Every time I talk to him, I buy a pound of powder.

Try to catch a heads up on gun shows going around in your area. Usualy the bigger ones have vendors just selling powder and primers, every time I have been to a show in Fl. or NC they have had the powder I want in the size I want, and no fee's.

I buy on line in large quantities. As I recall, one hazmat fee will cover 48lbs of product. And I currently have about 40lbs in powder in my shelf and 25k primers.

Sure it hurts more up front, but you won't have to buy for a while and rest assured you saved some money.

I buy enough powder with the same lot # for each rifle to exceed the barrel life. For a 308Win. you figure a 45 grain powder charge with a life span of 10,000 rounds, your looking at 65 pounds of powder or so. The hazmat charge is nothing compared to the bullets, and primers and brass that you will go through. I have smoked a few barrels in my highpower days. Barrels are cheap compared to the above. Do the math on a Magnum! JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been reloading for a while now and and am tired of buying 1LBS bottles of powder for my precision reloads and am looking to buy larger amounts (8LBS) at a time. My local stores only carry my powder(IMR 4064) in 1LBS and not 8LBS jugs and if I try to purchase on the internet Im slapped with hazmat charge that voids the savings of buying the larger amount. Do you guys just stick to buying whats local or are there and ways around buying on the net? </div></div>

Talk to the people at the local store. Part of the reason why they don't stock the 8lb jugs is that they are only allowed to store Xlbs on site and 8lb jugs take up alot of inventory opportunity (x8)

They may be willing to order you a 8lb jug and have it come in their regular shipment if you pre-pay for it and pick it up immediately so they don't have to store it. Doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

I was surprised that my local ACE hardware store has a small collection of reloading products but they only have 1# bottles. They might be willing to go up to 8# if they can sell the stuff they have. Point being, like what doubled said, talk to them. The guys at ACE are always saying that they will get what I need...

Even if you find a local shop I still find it's hard to beat the online price even with the hazmat fee.

I buy in bulk (as in 35-40 pounds of powder at a time), and buy for my brother at the same time. The UPS guys gets a workout bring those 50 lb boxes to the door, but you only pay one hazmat for a 50lb box, and the price per pound savings makes it much less expensive than buying 1 pound jugs, not to mention the powder inside the 8 pound jug is all the same lot.

And yes the folks I buy from will mix primers and powder in teh same box.

JEffvn

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.</div></div>

What does it all mean?
Good thing those fire code regulations don't felony teeth, like the National Firearms Act of 1934.