• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing CA hog hunters

SavageSlayer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
CA
Can anybody recommend a good guide service or outfit in California for hog hunting?

A buddy and I went last September and paid a $400 deposit each for a fully guided hunt and couldn't of had a worse experience. Our guide was maybe 21 years old at the most and was more interested in texting his girlfriend than he was guiding. He was late to the cabin the first day so we had to wait outside for over an hour for him to show up. He cut our morning hunt short because he had to go help move a 5th wheel trailer. He wouldn't stalk with us. He would drive us up to a spot and say something like, "We've killed a lot of pigs in this area." Then he would tell us to go walk through the area or over the hill and he would pick us up on the other side. Needless to say we never saw or got to shoot any pigs...Although the guide would glass a hillside and see pigs, but when we would look through our scopes or move to that area there would be absolutelty nothing.

I want to give it antoher try but I don't want to get burned again. So, if any of you know or have had a really good experience I would really appreciate any information you could pass along.

Thank you all.

Re: CA hog hunters

Dang,

I wish I could help. Can you tell me where/what was the nearest town too where you were hunting, and what was the name of the guide service so I know who to stay away from?

Thanks,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang,

I wish I could help. Can you tell me where/what was the nearest town too where you were hunting, and what was the name of the guide service so I know who to stay away from?

Thanks,

-Pat </div></div>

It was in San Miguel, just north of Paso Robles. I won't say the name of the outfitter on here but if you PM me I will be glad to share with anyone who would like to know.

Well, if you're hunting close to Paso Robles, I'd suggest you take the extra drive and go to the Bryson Resort w/ Deedy. I've hunted there once, and even though I didn't take anything, I wish I could go back.

FYI, your hunt wasn't a fully guided hunt, it was semi guided. Fully guided, they stay in the field with you at all times, semi-guided, they tell you the hotspots.

Deedy's info

http://brysonresort.com/hunting.html

I went with my girlfriend and good friend last year and could not have had a better pig hunt. The cabins are great, the accomodations are top notch and they guarantee to put you on a pig. Here are some pics of the hogs and the cabin. The guide hunted hard and during the day when it was hot out they took us out to go shoot some ground squirrels. Pm me if you want any more info.

PigHunt018.jpg

PigHunt047.jpg

PigHunt066.jpg

PigHunt048.jpg

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: im2ninja4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

FYI, your hunt wasn't a fully guided hunt, it was semi guided. Fully guided, they stay in the field with you at all times, semi-guided, they tell you the hotspots.

</div></div>

No...This was supposed to be a fully guided hunt. That is what was advertised, that is what was paid for, and that is one reason I was pissed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with my girlfriend and good friend last year and could not have had a better pig hunt. The cabins are great, the accomodations are top notch and they guarantee to put you on a pig. Here are some pics of the hogs and the cabin. The guide hunted hard and during the day when it was hot out they took us out to go shoot some ground squirrels. Pm me if you want any more info.

</div></div>

Hey Chuck,

I tried to PM you but it says you are over the private limit. I am definitely interested in the outfit you went through. Please hit me back with a PM.

Thanks.

Another vote for Kyler, he does more than just put you on pigs, he will go out of his way to share as much info as possible. I have killed pigs with other guides but I "hunted" with Kyler and learned a ton of info in the process.

I haven't been out there in a few years, but I have had some good hunts at the Twisselman ranch. I left a vm with Ethan Twisselman and will update this post with what I find out.

I've also been out with Kyler, although not for pig. Great guy, shows up on time, does what he says he'll do, willing to teach you things about hunting, field dressing, etc if you're interested in learning.

you live in PASO ROBLES and you dont know where to pig hunt? lol. You have Shandon anc Chlome right around the corner, and Ft. Ligget. just open your eyes and you can find somewhere to hunt where u live!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you live in PASO ROBLES and you dont know where to pig hunt? lol. You have Shandon anc Chlome right around the corner, and Ft. Ligget. just open your eyes and you can find somewhere to hunt where u live! </div></div>

I have no idea where you got the impression that I live in Paso Robles. In fact I live about 300 miles away from Paso Robles. I am very familiar with Paso Robles, Shandon, Chalome, Carizo Plains, Ft. Hunter Ligget, Santa Maria, San Miguel and many other of the states top pig hunting areas throughout SLO and Monterey counties. This was not a question about where to hunt or even what is a good piece of public land to hunt. Rather, it was a specific question regarding guide services and recommendations. So, the next time you tell someone to open thier eyes you might want to take your own advice and actully read and understand the post before responding with such an arrogant and off base comment.