• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ca. Shooters reload vs factory

Cleanmiss

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2010
sacramento
Hey guys not sure if this is the best place but I figured I'd ask. I'm getting really low on my 308 ammo reserves and It's getting hard finding anything and when I do it's over $34 a box (hornady mostly). I just got back into precision and am being limited on ammo availability. Trying to talk myself out of reloading. I use a buddy's setup to load for my 270 but it may be time for my own. I know it's not really cheaper reloading but I can order everything without the ffl hassle. It would be nice to have some more options too. I shoot a 20" ctr so getting higher mv would be an added bonus for reloading. What are your thoughts? Just deal with sourcing factory stuff in CA or dive into rolling my own. Thanks y'all

I also live in CA and I would say invest in getting all your own stuff. I’ve never purchased factory ammo while living here but it seems like a huge pain in the butt.

The benefits of reloading out weigh the factory ammo offers depending on what caliber(s) you are or intend to shoot.

Like you said, it’s much easier to get online and order what you need then deal with a FFL.

That’s my vote..

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
It's getting more and more difficult for sure. Especially for 308 match at least the couple places I look. Last couple of times I was checking ammo there were more options for 6.5. So much so that I even considered rebarreling but I should keep learning with the 308 for now I think?

It's getting more and more difficult for sure. Especially for 308 match at least the couple places I look. Last couple of times I was checking ammo there were more options for 6.5. So much so that I even considered rebarreling but I should keep learning with the 308 for now I think?

IMHO, 308 is fine and has been around in the competition world for a long time. Now, is there better options for factory ammunition as well as cartridges that are “better” sure...

But at what point do you draw the line? I have a Remage set up with a 308 barrel and a 260 Rem barrel. 10 minutes and I have a different caliber. This is due to a choice. I don’t see a need in having a multi thousand dollar rifle set-up. Do I drool over them, absolutely! It’s not in my current deck of cards.

IMHO, if funds allow, grab a 6.5mm or even a 6mm barrel and keep shooting factory ammo. If you’re looking to expand the operation, sink some funds into a reloading system and shoot more!

Yeah I definately think it's better spending the money on reloading instead of jumping to another caliber just to shoot factory ammo and still remain at the mercy of the legislation and or market here. My plan as of now is to get really dialed inside 1k instead of flinging lead til I get a hit then I'll consider new calibers. Thank you again for your insight

Reactions: EN2722
Yeah I definately think it's better spending the money on reloading instead of jumping to another caliber just to shoot factory ammo and still remain at the mercy of the legislation and or market here. My plan as of now is to get really dialed inside 1k instead of flinging lead til I get a hit then I'll consider new calibers. Thank you again for your insight

You’re very welcome. If you ever find yourself in Southern California shoot me a PM!

Reactions: Cleanmiss
I’d start reloading instead of putting up with the stupid laws here. Also, if you hunt it will open up more options for lead free bullets.

I have a Barnes lrx load already worked out for my 270! I have the dies, guage, powders etc. for it too. Been using my buddy's set up to load for it for a while. Just never could justify spending all that until just recently. Hopefully I can start gathering stuff soon.

I have a Barnes lrx load already worked out for my 270! I have the dies, guage, powders etc. for it too. Been using my buddy's set up to load for it for a while. Just never could justify spending all that until just recently. Hopefully I can start gathering stuff soon.

Oh, it just hit me. I’m not sure if you’re on CalGuns or not but they also have a reloading section. Lots of stuff is face-to-face sales.

Might be worth checking out to collect up reloading supplies.

Well it looks like I'm taking the plunge into reloading at home... Not sure if it's a good thing yet. I scored a pretty good set up from a hide member and will take possession this weekend. Just wanted to thank you guys for helping me decide even if it becomes a sickness.

If you think it’s a pain to get ammo now, just wait. I don’t see it getting better in our shit bag state. I started reloading and stockpiling components a couple years ago. I have enough to make it to retirement, if I stop buying new guns, butttt!

You grabbed that entire reloading set up? Good score man!

congrats and welcome!
Yeah I'm pretty stoked! Pretty much exactly what I was looking for and he's throwing in a bunch of other goodies too. Now I have to figure out what my little tikka will like the most and start sourcing some more ingredients. I will be spending a bunch of time in the reloading threads now.

For handloads, I use my older M1a loads.

Commercial brass and match priming (Starline 308/CCI BR-2 in my case)
168 match/43.5gr IMR-4064
175 match/42/2gr IMR-4064
2.815" OAL, RCBS standard F/L dies, nothing special with the rest of the process.

I no longer shoot an M1a and have instead a 20" PSA-10. The 168 load is up next for load testing/confirmation.

I am also substituting the Speer 168gr Gold Dot Rifle bullet (shorter length, rebated base, improved terminal performance); but that's just an experiment in progress, and is not primarily intended for match shooting.

Greg

Last edited:
Thanks for the good info Greg! The member that I got my reloading set up from sold me some of his 175 RDF with 43gr 4064 that I'm very curious to try out as well as a few others that I've found here. I really want to try out 155 scenars as well.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
You could order online to a FFL. I’m lucky and my FFL charges $15 for every 1000 rounds. I just bought 4 cases of prime during the group buy costing around $275 ish a case when it’s all said and done. I was getting Federal GMM 130’s from brownells for $246 a case with 15% off and free shipping last year, so I ordered 1000 rounds. I think I paid around $230 ish a case. $34 a box of .308 is insane for Hornady. Truth be told if you want Hornady, hit sportsman’s wherehouse during their 4th of July sale and get a case of American gunner for $170(.308 is the same price). That stuff flies just as good as eldm and chrono’s slightly better(at least out of my 6.5). I would reload but just don’t have the time to dedicate, you will definitely get better groups with a hand load tailored to your barrel.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
So I finally got a chance to shoot the 175 rdf at 587yds Sunday. Zero signs of pressure, cycled smooth, bucked the 26 mph half value wind and were super consistent. I don't hear much about the nosler rdf on here much anymoren has everyone that still shoots 308 moved on to the jugs or eld? Just curious, they're a bit cheaper than the eld m and are available at midway.