• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cadex CDX-40 SHADOW in .375 CheyTac

HK45

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2018
About ready to pull the trigger on this rifle. Any feedback about Cadex Defense and this rifle would be much appreciated. Looking to get past my .338 Lapua at a mile and explore some ELR shooting with the .375 CheyTac. My only delima is reloading for this cartridge. Have a thread posted in the reloading forum. Any help on data and where to find components is welcome.

Reactions: ohsmily
About ready to pull the trigger on this rifle. Any feedback about Cadex Defense and this rifle would be much appreciated. Looking to get past my .338 Lapua at a mile and explore some ELR shooting with the .375 CheyTac. My only delima is reloading for this cartridge. Have a thread posted in the reloading forum. Any help on data and where to find components is welcome.

Brass is the easy part.....Peterson. Bullet/powder combo depends upon the specs.

I would talk to Jon at JJ Rock and get one of the JJ Rock actions for a cadex. The repeaters are available and you can install in a cadex.
Just a thought.
Good Shooting.
Chris Schmidt

Reactions: wildcats
I have this exact rifle Sir. Fantastic shooter. I also have several other CADEX rifles and I cannot say enough good things about them. It's only a matter of time until they become very popular!

If it was me and my money, I would get a rifle built to my specs by a good gunsmith. Robert Vestal seems to get a lot of business from some of the top ELR shooters, I imagine there is a reason for that.

The Cadex rifles are built to function on a battle field, they are not purpose built ELR machines. If I was building a .375/.408, there are features that I would want for ELR shooting that the Cadex rifles lack.

That and I think Cadex rifles are butt ugly. They seem to spend a lot of time/machining to achieve certain aesthetics, which is no doubt built into the cost of the rifle. Call me a utilitarian, but I would prefer that money to be spent on functionality. As a Canadian, does this make me unpatriotic?

Unfortunately, in the .375/.408/.50 class of rifles, components are extremely limited compared to what we have available in smaller frame rifles. If the Cadex checks all the boxes for you, it is a decently built rifle.

*Edit - how far are you planning on shooting? Your .338 should be capable to much past a mile, especially with proper loads (some loads won't be mag length though). You can also consider rebarreling to a .30-338, which should be capable of 3,000+ yards if you really want to stretch it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcats
I looked into it and couldn't believe they don't stock any. All made to order. But they only offer 10 twist on special request, still not fast enough for heavy solids.

I went custom build for not much longer wait time.

A lot of good thoughts above. One observation I have is that chassis systems typically under perform vs a bedded manners/McMillan stock set up. Vibration, tracking are issues I believe paramount for accuracy and Precison for ELR. Same as for 1500 yds and under, but past 1500 yds and it is absolutely a different game plus even more important.

The twist rate and barrel lengths are not optimum for precise ELR shots. Solids are required. There is a lot of voodoo or opinions out in the interwebs; so, I am not interested in arguing other than research what works consistently well.

A custom build from a qualified GS with a proven track record is what the fast race horse would do. Takes time but the wait will be worth it.
Good Shooting
Chris Schmidt

Last edited:
One observation I have is that chassis systems typically under perform vs a bedded manners/McMillan stock set up.

I had Mile High Shooting bed my MPA chassis and went from a best 5 shot group of .5 MOA down to .3MOA, so consider that if you go with a chassis.

i have one. i like everything about the rifle, except the poor choice in twist rates.
While mine was in production, i asked about a faster twist and was told that they would not go faster than 11.5 twist.
Apparently, this was directed by an employee that insisted this is what the last company he worked for used.
Anyway, mine will shoot 1/2 MOA or better with 350 SMKs and up to 330 solids.
My CE 330, peterson, VV, 215M load is doing 3200fps with SDs around 5 and 1/2 MOA- However, it is going Trans sonic at around 2800yds (500ft elevation).
Chassis, Action, and Trigger rock- wrong damn twist rate. i tried to change it- But, what do i know...

i second the opinion on the JJ Rock build

Im thinking of selling my 375ct in cadex..and build another in single shot..i love this cartridge

Reading this is a shock to me. I was going to order a CDX-40 today and the twist rate I was given as standard is 1:10", 5R groove Bartlein. They offer a special request of 1:11.5" and 6 groove Bartlein. Agreed a faster twist (8 to 9") would be better from the 32" barrels, but the 1:10" supposedly can handle 360-375 grain turned bullets. What have I missed?

I also would recommend a J.J. Rock, I shot one of their Cadex chassis rifles and finished 8th at Ko2M this year with it. And she shoots alright, here was my first 3 rounds out of her at 100 yards...
7FDCAC52-ADBE-46D6-959A-8E965E6B9AFE.jpeg

Last edited:
Just took delivery of my Shadow in 375. Starting with 350 gn SMKs and then will transition to 377 gn solids. This thing is a work of art as far as for and finish are concerned. Went with 32" 1:10 twist.

Attachments

• 20180817_124436.jpg
    20180817_124436.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 1,091
  • 20180817_175952.jpg
    20180817_175952.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 348
Beautiful looking rifle! Post some pics up of how it shoots! I had a really hard time deciding between the Cadex and the DT. I ended up going with the DT for the simple fact that I can switch barrels or calibers down the road if I wanted. I have been extremely pleased with the factory barrel and the 350 SMK. I'm working on loads for the 353 grain Lehigh now. Loading for this cartridge has been a lot easier than I thought it would be too. Good luck!
IMG_20180728_153439981.jpg

IMG_20180811_112942841.jpg

What are those features?

Bag rider, longer foreend to place a bipod further out there, faster twist rates that aren't custom orders, the folding stock is a potential weak point that I fear could loosen up over time, rail on bottom (pic on website looks like bipod is mounted via sling stud - but hopefully I'm mistaken).

Few things off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more, but the Cadex rifles have been off my radar for a while now and haven't thought much about it lately.

kthomas,
The bag rider is being released for 2020, we offer up to a 7 twist on our 375. As for the folding stock we have an ajustment screw that will make sure the folding stock always stays tight. We do offer pic rails for the forend to mount bipods. the web site picture is shown with our direct mount.

Reactions: kthomas
Here’s my Shadow 40 built by Robert Vestal’s.
He’s a Cadex dealer. He built this rifle, plus three barrels, plus the gunsmith work cheaper than a JJROCK built rifle.

My action and recoil lug are bedded as well.
If you happen to know which bullets you want to shoot for a particular cartridge, Robert can set up the freebore for that specific bullet which pays dividends for ELR.

C02DEA7E-06A1-4A3E-9F10-1FABC6087094.jpeg

1E81E160-31D9-4950-B15B-63846E7D2087.jpeg

001FDB8C-E187-4EE6-9C7F-619683B56405.png

I got my CDX Shadow this summer with a 32" 1 in 7 twist. Sadly I have not got my reloading components put together for it to shoot.

Plus I have a CDX 33 in 338 Lapua. Only had this one out to 1057 yards. But it was boringly easy.

Bag rider, longer foreend to place a bipod further out there, faster twist rates that aren't custom orders, the folding stock is a potential weak point that I fear could loosen up over time, rail on bottom

I use an angled KRG bag rider on my CDX40. I had one laying about and found it fit well.

Bottom rail is there, and solid: I can confirm it works well with Rempel and LRA bipods.

I'm keeping an eye on the folder too; and will let you know. I'm 300 rounds in and haven't had to adjust tension yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 139
Just took delivery of my Shadow in 375. Starting with 350 gn SMKs and then will transition to 377 gn solids. This thing is a work of art as far as for and finish are concerned. Went with 32" 1:10 twist.
Sir, what case/insert is that?

I got my CDX Shadow this summer with a 32" 1 in 7 twist. Sadly I have not got my reloading components put together for it to shoot.

Plus I have a CDX 33 in 338 Lapua. Only had this one out to 1057 yards. But it was boringly easy.

Did you end up shooting it yet? ;)

Had good luck with my SHADOW 32'" 1-7. I have had hit out to 3090 yards on 40in plate. Sadly my barrel is getting tired and will having a new barrel out on soon. Going with a little heavier contour barrel and going to go 34" 1-7 Bartlein . The main thing is spend the money and get a good set of dies. My brass loads just like new even after 7 to 8 firings.

Had good luck with my SHADOW 32'" 1-7. I have had hit out to 3090 yards on 40in plate. Sadly my barrel is getting tired and will having a new barrel out on soon. Going with a little heavier contour barrel and going to go 34" 1-7 Bartlein . The main thing is spend the money and get a good set of dies. My brass loads just like new even after 7 to 8 firings.

Helps much, to have an annealer.

Reactions: Geno C.