• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cadex Tremor vs AI ELR

drcrk0525

Private
Minuteman
  • Nov 3, 2017
    Looking to purchase a Tremor or AI ELR. Anyone have experience and recommendations for either rifle? Thanks for any help

Reactions: The D
    I don’t have any direct experience but from what I’ve gathered is the Cadex will be limited by barrel availability, which you probably already know.

I’m actually just here to see the conversation

Reactions: drcrk0525
    I’ve tried to find out when and how much the barrel swaps for the AI are going to be with no luck.

I just did a little searching with no luck either, but there are people here with waaay more AI knowledge than me so definitely wait for them.

Do you have your heart set on a .50? There are many more large magnum(.585 bf, Norma, Lapua, XC) options that don’t give up much to the BMG. In some aspects they are superior also

Kind of set on a 50 for now. Not doing any extreme long range. Shooting 1500-2000 yards max.

Reactions: The D
    Kind of set on a 50 for now. Not doing any extreme long range. Shooting 1500-2000 yards max.
    For 1500- 2000 yds in particular, the 50 cal is sort of pointless.

ko1m-cartridge-list-707x400.png

I forgot to add:

Even if you’ve decided in it “just because I can”, I’m not trying to dissuade you at all. I’ve only taken one shot with a BMG but it was awesome. I was just curious if you had a specific reason

I really like the AI but it’s $4500 more and are the barrel kits going to be $4000+??

I really like the AI but it’s $4500 more and are the barrel kits going to be $4000+??
    call mile high and see what a replacement barrel costs. Doubt there’s much difference in barrel replacement cost between the two of them.

I think id go Cadex. im a huge AI guy but the cost of the complete AI 50 is ridiculous.

Reactions: drcrk0525 and BCX
    Save yourself some $, 300 PRC, 300 NM, 338 LM will get you to 2K no problem. 33XC if the wind is howling!

Replacement barrel for a Tremor is $2431.95 CAD, probably cheaper in USD.
    Where did you find a replacement barrel? Does anyone do a 416 Barrett barrel for the Cadex or maybe a AI ELR pre fit in 416?

Looking to purchase a Tremor or AI ELR. Anyone have experience and recommendations for either rifle? Thanks for any help
    I have a Cadex Tremor, do not have AI ELR, but do have an AI AXSR, so I am a little familiar with both brands.

For starters, the Cadex Tremor is not switch barrel, so if you intent to swap barrels between 50bmg and 416, as an example, AI ELR is the only option. For switch barrels and barrel swapping, the AI system is unbeatable.

Both brands exude quality. I love my Cadex Tremor, as does everyone that I let shoot it. Given the weight of the system and cost of ammo, I wouldn’t want to switch barrels between 50bmg and 416 only to have to re-zero. The Cadex Tremor is a work of art. It looks way cooler than an AI ELR, imho.

I swap barrels on my AI AXSR, between 308 to 300prc to 338lm and have a blast doing it. The trigger on the AIs are better. The folders on the AIs are also ever sightly better than the Cadex.

As a betting man, I would bet that the AI ELR would be slightly better than the Cadex Tremor, but the price difference for each reflect that also.

I have a AX 308 and love it. I have 3 barrels for it but rarely change them and usually just shoot 6mm creed. I live in the Midwest and just recently got permission to shoot from a mile to maybe 2500 yards so don’t have a lot of experience shooting past 1000 yards.

I had a 375 CheyTac and a AR 50 and sold both to buy one. I’ve never seen either of these rifles and wondered about the build quality. Both look amazing.

can save more coin and look at a Desert Tech HTI if you want switch barrel capability. I've had quite a few AIs and have had several Desert Tech SRS rifles in the past. I now only have AI rifles, but I do miss the SRS and will most likely pick up another. AIs are top notch, but the DTs are nice as well and very accurate in my experience. I use to shoot my 16.5" 6.5 CM SRS to 2,000 yards and it was consistent given the cartridge capabilities and Velocity limitations coming out of a 16" barrel.

Last edited:
    can save more coin and look at a Desert Tech HTI if you want switch barrel capability. I've had quite a few AIs and have had several Desert Tech SRS rifles in the past. I now only have AI rifles, but I do miss the SRS and will most likely puck up another. AIs are top notch, but the DTs are nice as well and very accurate in my experience. I use to shoot my 16.5" 6.5 CM SRS to 2,000 yards and it was consistent given the cartridge capabilities and Velocity limitations coming out of a 16" barrel.
    16” 6.5 to 2,000 yards??

OP

The AI’s are very nice! But if you’re set on 50 cal I don’t know much about them as mine is a AR50. Even with an AXMC or AXSR you can run 300 Norma or 338 to 2000. Then use the same gun for shorter ranges in 6 or 6.5 variants

At a much lower $$ all around

Lots of folks here are like: “Why 50bmg? There are cheaper rounds!”
    Of course there is. And as they say, if you have to ask about the price, you probably…

My answer to why 50bmg?
    1) Because this is ‘Merica!
    2) Because lots of States and 3 letter agencies out there would ban it if they get any chance to
    3) Find me another round that has AP, API, APIT, Incendiary, SLAP, SLAP-T, spotter, tracer…
    4) Raufoss mk211 - need I say more?

Do I need a 50bmg? Hell no.
    Does it look fking awesome in my gun room?
    Do I want it? Hell yes!

Of course there is. And as they say, if you have to ask about the price, you probably…

My answer to why 50bmg?
    2) Because lots of States and 3 letter agencies out there would ban it if they get any chance to
    3) Find me another round that has AP, API, APIT, Incendiary, SLAP, SLAP-T, spotter, tracer…

Do I want it? Hell yes!
    Nobody is saying don’t own a 50

We’re just saying there’s rounds that do this better and giving options to look into. 50 cal is great and all but rounds like 33, 375 and 408 do the job better. Comps like king of 2 miles is a good indicator of what works. Early days were 50’s and 338’s. But those have since been replaced

Again, nothing against the 50. But others would be a better option for most

My answer to why 50bmg?

Do I want it? Hell yes!
    🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Reactions: moosemeat

My answer to why 50bmg?

Do I want it? Hell yes!
    I wish I could “like” this post a dozen more times. I have zero reason to buy something in that big girl but goddamned if I don’t want one

Nobody is saying don’t own a 50

We’re just saying there’s rounds that do this better and giving options to look into. 50 cal is great and all but rounds like 33, 375 and 408 do the job better. Comps like king of 2 miles is a good indicator of what works. Early days were 50’s and 338’s. But those have since been replaced

Again, nothing against the 50. But others would be a better option for most
    And that is a perfect example of why you need one of everything. There is no such thing as too many toys.

I have a Cadex Tremor, do not have AI ELR, but do have an AI AXSR, so I am a little familiar with both brands.

For starters, the Cadex Tremor is not switch barrel, so if you intent to swap barrels between 50bmg and 416, as an example, AI ELR is the only option. For switch barrels and barrel swapping, the AI system is unbeatable.

Both brands exude quality. I love my Cadex Tremor, as does everyone that I let shoot it. Given the weight of the system and cost of ammo, I wouldn’t want to switch barrels between 50bmg and 416 only to have to re-zero. The Cadex Tremor is a work of art. It looks way cooler than an AI ELR, imho.

I swap barrels on my AI AXSR, between 308 to 300prc to 338lm and have a blast doing it. The trigger on the AIs are better. The folders on the AIs are also ever sightly better than the Cadex.

As a betting man, I would bet that the AI ELR would be slightly better than the Cadex Tremor, but the price difference for each reflect that also.
    You can swap barrels on the cadex. It's no different than any other shouldered prefit. And you can get non cadex barrels spun up.

Cadex makes a superior rifle to the AI50. Problem is cadex customer service sucks, must be to many lazy French Canadians who work 5 hour work weeks. I spent months trying to order parts for my 338lm and ended up selling the gun out of frustration. This was like a year ago. I got a call a few weeks ago " hey I found this invoice did you still want these parts...... "after I called like 30 times in 3 months.

People are building off having a gun built up than paying the stupid prices either charge. I would probally buy a tac50 before either as well.

You can swap barrels on the cadex. It's no different than any other shouldered prefit. And you can get non cadex barrels spun up.

Cadex makes a superior rifle to the AI50. Problem is cadex customer service sucks, must be to many lazy French Canadians who work 5 hour work weeks. I spent months trying to order parts for my 338lm and ended up selling the gun out of frustration. This was like a year ago. I got a call a few weeks ago " hey I found this invoice did you still want these parts...... "after I called like 30 times in 3 months.

People are building off having a gun built up than paying the stupid prices either charge. I would probally buy a tac50 before either as well.
    Not sure why Cadex has such a labor issue, but they do.... It seems post Covid there are very few cares given in any industry about delivery times. I do know that they invested in a bunch of new machines and robots so hopefully at some point the wait times get much, much better as the current delivery schedules are way too long.

Can you tell me what is superior about it? Who do you recommend to do a 416 barrel?
    Thanks

Can you tell me what is superior about it? Who do you recommend to do a 416 barrel?
    Thanks
    SPR ( bugholes). Greg can spin you up one. He carries 1.35 barrels but can order larger profile from bartlien or you can order one from k&p ( fastest custom barrel maker from order to delivery). Cadex will or should send you the tennon prints. That is if they get off their lazy asses.

SPR ( bugholes). Greg can spin you up one. He carries 1.35 barrels but can order larger profile from bartlien or you can order one from k&p ( fastest custom barrel maker from order to delivery). Cadex will or should send you the tennon prints. That is if they get off their lazy asses.
    Thanks 👍