• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber Choices - Comparison and Applications

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
Caliber Selection Considerations:

Recently there have been a number of common threads, most are titled along the lines:

“What caliber”
“New build, help pick the caliber”
“New to LR shooting, what caliber”

You get the idea.

Many of us who’ve been here for even a few months have seen this thread over and over again, I’ve personally become disenchanted with answering it only to see the information roll down the thread list and disappear. Then 2 days later someone else who hasn’t used the google search engine for the ‘Hide asks the same question.

I talked to a Moderator and this is going to be a sticky, the goal in this thread is to provide some infrastructure for new members to read through and use as a reference. We have several threads like this in the various subforums like Reloading and Optics. Please keep this civil, disengage from any kind of pissing match and base any inputs you have on hard numbers or realistic considerations.

By this I mean you should NOT include a post like this:

“308, forget about the rest”

The 308 has some great features but without any substantiation the post above is less than useless. Instead take an extra 5 mins and say WHY you would pick the 308. Since it’s so popular, I’ll provide it as an example

308 Winchester
Pros:
• Common caliber with military and law enforcement
• Factory Match ammo is easily accessible
• Lots of hunting, factory, and bulk ammo choices
• Mild recoil
• Plenty of knockdown powder for short to medium range hunting on all but the largest/most dangerous animals in North America.
• Good caliber for the non-reloader as well as the reloader due to ammo and component availability
• Excellent barrel life (5000+ rounds easily attainable, many references to 8000+ rounds are seen)
• Fits in a SA magazine well with bullets near the lands for ammo tuning
• Easily attainable actions in standard (473) case head for both short and long actions
• Lapua brass is available

Cons:
• Not particularly flat shooting
• Supersonic range is limited to about 1200yd (depending on bullet, altitude and temp)
• In the realm of 30 cal rounds, it’s neutered in MV and falls short in BC so it suffers in both trajectory and wind performance
• Higher BC bullets are available in both 6.5mm and 7mm offerings at equal or higher speeds than the 30 cal bullets have, they make better use of the case capacity while still getting good barrel life.

Clearly I’m not going to write such an example for each and every caliber below, but that is a fairly detailed review on the round, as opposed to the prior example.

There’s several ways to cross reference the choices and I’m going to attempt to make a relatively comprehensive list but I know that I won’t think of everything. Please feel free to add it and I’ll try to cut and paste additions into this post. It will get too complicated trying to give each person addition credits so I’ll refrain from that. If you added the round 6.5 Bobcat and I missed it initially, I’ll add it and understand that I appreciate the input.

As stated, I can’t possibly write a comparison for everything like I tried to flesh out for the 308. I’m going to start by doing 223, 260, 308, 30-06

Feel free to flesh out your own reviews on other calibers or add comments to things I missed. If you’re going to do this, the goal is a comparative study, not an opinion poll, try to be objective and factually based, not anecdotal. This means that if you're going to make a performance claim about range/drop/wind/etc. please save the argument from starting and show the numbers involved with your statement.

ETA: I thought I had addressed this point in years passed as this thread is nearly 8 years old now, but we discuss "calibers" and "chamberings" interchangeably. This is one of those vernacular things that newcomers don't understand and it's quite a source of confusion. I guess I did not do it in the first post but without sifting through nearly 10 pages of commentary I don't know where it is.

I addressed this specifically in a recent print article on this similar topic but here it is again:

Caliber is the bullet size and/or groove size (this can be confusing as well) not the piece of brass going into it.
Cartridge is ambiguous as well because there are wildcats all over the place.
Chamberings is probably the clearest way to discuss it and IMO the most direct.

The Chambering refers to all of the pieces together because THAT is what we're cutting into a barrel and that is also what the assembled ammunition will enter to be fired.

Caliber List:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Short Action Calibers, 223 bolt face</span>
17 Reminton – 223 parent case, don’t know the forming details
20 Practical – 223 necked to 20 caliber
20 Tactical – 223 necked to 20 caliber, shoulder blown forward
204 Ruger – 222 Rem Mag necked to 20 cal, shoulder blown forward
222 Remington
223 Remington & 5.56x45 NATO – ballistically identical, there are chamber differences
222 Rem Mag

<span style="font-weight: bold">Short Action Calibers, 308 bolt face</span>
6mm BR – wildcats are 17, 22, 7mm, 30 cal all on this case
6mm Dasher – parent case is 6 BR
6mm BRX – parent case is 6 BR
22-250
6mm-250
250 Savage
260 Bobcat – 6.5mm in 250 Savage
300 Savage
243 Winchester
260 Rem
7mm-08
338 Federal
8mm-08
358 Winchester
257 Roberts
7x57, 8x57, 9x67, 9.3x57
6mm Super LR
6.5-6mm Super LR
6.5x47 Swiss Match
6-6.5x47 Lapua
6.5x47 Lapua
6-284
6.5-284
284 Winchester (more aptly built in a long action, but officially a short action round)

The list goes on and on, please post suggestions and I’ll add them. This was just a start

<span style="font-weight: bold">Short Action Calibers, Mag (.532) bolt face</span>
Winchester Super Short Magnum family
Winchester Short Magnum family
Remington Short Action Ultra Mag family
264 Rem Mag

Both the RSAUM and WSM series work well in long actions and my upcoming 7mm/300 WSM (aka 7 BAT) is going in a long action.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Long Action Calibers, 308 bolt face</span>
6.5x55 Swede
6mm Remington (6mm-7x57 Mauser)
7mm Mauser
8mm Mauser
9x57, 9.3x57
9.3x62, 9.3x64
7x64 Brenneke
6-284
6.5-284
284 Win
284 Shehane (284 Win parent case, improved)
30-06 parent case family includes
• 22-06
• 6mm-06
• 6mm Catbird (6-06 AI)
• 25-06
• 6.5-06, 6.5-06 A-square, 260 Newton
• 270 Win
• 7mm/270, 280 Rem, 7mm-06 (ballistic equivalents, minor chamber spec differences)
• 30-06
• 338-06
• 35 Whelen
• 375-06

<span style="font-weight: bold">Long Action Calibers, Mag bolt face</span>
264 Win Mag
Win Short Mag series fits very well in the long actions
7mm Rem Mag
300 Win Mag
338 Win Mag
300 H&H mag
375 H&H
264 Wby Mag
7 Wby Mag
300 Wby Mag
340 Wby Mag
7 Rem Ultra Mag
300 Rem Ultra Mag
338 Rem Ultra Mag
338 Edge (338/300 RUM)
7mm, 30, 338, 375, 416, 404 Dakota
Lazzeroni Family (I believe, someone correct me please)
404 Jeffreys

<span style="font-weight: bold">Long Action Calibers, Lap Mag bolt face</span>

30-378 Wby Mag
338-378 Wby Mag
378 Wby Mag
460 Wby Mag
338 Lapua Mag and wildcats from 7mm - 375 caliber
300 Hulk (based on 338 LM case)
300 Kong (based on 378 Wby case)
300 Allen Mag
450 Dakota
450 Rigby

<span style="font-weight: bold">Extreme Magnum Actions, 0.637 Base</span>
338 Allen Mag
338/375 Cheytac
375 Cheytac
408 Cheytac
505 Gibbs (parent case to the rest)

<span style="font-weight: bold">223 Remington</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">Pro:
• Commonality to military and LE
• Small powder capacity, inexpensive bullets, common to find components and supplies
• Effectively no recoil
• Good long range bullets available
• Easy to reload
• Forgiving in powder choice
• Far more capable than most people give credit, 1000+yd target shooting is reasonable
• Great varmint caliber, good medium sized game caliber with the right bullet
• Great barrel life
• Loaded properly the trajectory can closely match 308 Winchester for cheap training
• Lapua brass is abailable

Cons:
• Lacks case capacity to really throw the heaviest 224 cal bullets fast
• Lacks hunting applicability for anything bigger than medium White tails at shorter ranges
• Many states outlaw 22cal centerfire for big game hunting
• Trajectory and wind characteristics are on par with 308 Win

<span style="font-weight: bold">260 Remington</span>
Pros:
• Brass is easy to attain/make from 243, 7mm-08 or 308
• Excellent bullets in hunting and long range
• Easy to load for
• Good balance of case capacity and barrel life
• Barrel life is in the 3000 round range
• Wide range of powder choices
• Flexible hunting applications from varmints/predators to big game short of dangerous game like bear
• Very good for long range targets, supersonic range in excess of 1500yd (depending on altitude, temp, bullet)
• Low recoil
• Several factory rifle options including DPMS LR-260 uppers and bolt actions
• Lapua brass available in 243, so Lapua 260 cases are easily made

Cons:
• Expensive factory ammo with limited match grade choices
• R-P brass takes a lot of work for consistency, neck sizing 243 or 7mm-08 brass is almost necessary to get good brass
• Barrel life is not as good as 223 or 308 or 30-06, it is still decent though

<span style="font-weight: bold">30-06 Springfield</span>
Pros:
I can wax poetic on this chambering and parent case, but I’ll try to keep it short… Just to keep a reference in mind, I shoot the 208 Amax at 2875 from a 26" barreled -06 and it runs alongside a 300 WM.

• Incredibly flexible chambering for a reloader
• Reduced recoil 110gr Vmax for light practice loads, smoking hot 110 Vmax for varmints/predators all the way through 240gr ultra heavy bullets can be loaded in this case with excellent results
• Huge choice of excellent bullets in both hunting and target applications
• Excellent reloading components available
• Forgiving powder choices
• Easy to find loading data
• Very good barrel life
• Loaded hot in a bolt action this case can compete with the smaller 300 Magnums like 300 WM and 300 WSM without trouble
• Long supersonic range in excess of 1700yd (again, bullet, temp, altitude dependent)
• Very large selection of factory rifles and custom rifles available for it
• Decent selection of match grade factory ammo (not like the 308 though)
• Mil surp ammo is still available as well as mil surp powder, bullets and brass for cheap practicing
• Excellent choice of caliber for just about anything on earth, easily anything in North America. While I wouldn’t advocate it over something larger, 30-06 and 8mm Mauser have been used to kill elephants and water buffalo.

Cons:
• Generally accepted limit for what the average shooter can stand in terms of recoil
• If you like gas guns there’s few choices in 30-06 and the common one, the M1 Garand, can’t take the full potential of the chambering without serious or catastrophic damage.
• Reduced choices for match grade factory ammo, it exists but it’s not as prevalent as 308 ammo. In reality, 308 match ammo is the gold standard for factory match choices.</span>

OK, enough writing for now, please add to the list and ask questions. Let’s keep this as factually based as possible and a civil discussion. The goal here is to create some infrastructure for new forum members to reference and reduce the repetition of topics that flow through

Last edited:
Re: Caliber Choices - Comparison and Applications

worthy of stickyness. thanks for the effort here.

the .264 Win Mag cannot be stuffed onto a short action, though.

Reactions: SSGTHamlin

My mistake, I thought I'd read in one of my reloading manuals that Winchester tried to shove it in a short action. I'll change that, thanks for the heads up.

Hi a good one that is commonly missed in the short action magnum boltface is the 6.5 rem mag its capacity is very similar to the 6.5/284 not a lot use it but it is woth considering if a short action magnum boltface action is being used.

I think you have covered most calibres great start.

if shooting past 1000 yards regularly a 7mm mag would be the best option in any short action mags or the 7mm rem mag i prefer the Rem SAUm it is better balanced for the 7mm bore size giving similar balistics to the larger volumed 7mm rem mag with around 6 to 8gr less powder. for past 1500 yards the 338's like a 338 Lapua or 338 Edge are great. but closer the 284 is awsome and supersonic to past 1500 yards but realy thrives in long actions. for most tacticle matches a 6.5 in either the Lapua 6.5X47 up to and including the 6.5 creedmore and the 260 remington give reasonable barrel life flater trajectory that the 308 with less recoil and less wind drift but if barrel life is not a problem the 6X47 Lapua in an 8 twist aswell as the 6mmXC and then the 243Win they send the 105-115gr 6mm projectiles from 2900 to 3100fps depending on the case and are flatter than the mid sized 6.5's and great in the wind with a very light recoil but barrel life suffers from that performance.

for close range the 223 is hard to beat and that means out to 600 yards i have seen 223's with 80gr A Max's shot to 1200 yards in 7 twist barrels but that is not optimal.

This is a helluva thread that ill use plenty because of the bolt head compatibility parts. Thanks bohem, it will serve good for all the new guys and everyone else.

Excellent list:

I would add a note to the 7x57 family: to include 257 Roberts (both long and short actions), and 8x57, 9x57, 9.3x57...

Add 7x64 Brenneke to LA 06 bolt face

9.3x62 & 9.3x64 (both the 62 & 64 case are parent to a number of kittens)

Add the Dakota family of 404 Jeff based cases, 7mm, 30, 338, 375, 416, 404, 450, Dakota's.

Bob

Reactions: Tucker11bravo

You're welcome, I'm sure I'll learn too as the thread grows.

Wild_Bill-

I was going to write a synopsis on the 7 short mag series but needed to actually do something this morning at work. I will take your comments and add some of my own, thanks for the contribution.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Short Action Mags</span>

First and foremost, they really shine when you load them over the common short action magazine lengths. I own a 7 SAUM, with 162 Amax's it runs on par with my 7mm/270.

7 SAUM holds ~ 74 total capacity in H20. This is within3 grains of a 7/270, 280rem, 7mm06, etc. Performance and barrel life are all very close and run between 2500-3000 rounds. Here's a short list of what's availabe

270 WSM, 7 SAUM, 7 WSM, 7/300 WSM (7 BAT), 300 SAUM, 300 WSM, 325 WSM, 338 WSM

Out of all of these, the 7's are the best performer for long range targets and bullet selection.

The 6.5 SAUM and 6.5 WSM are becoming more popular wildcats, although one can just imagine the barrel life of a caliber burning 55-65 gr of powder through a 6.5mm bore. It's short to say the least.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Pros:</span>
Plenty of room in a long action mag to feed from any factory magazine with the bullets seated long. The whole family in this concept is excellent in this regard
Good case capacity to launch 160gr-180gr class bullets in 7mm to 1500+ yd
Recoil is on par with 30-06 and similar weight bullets, aka, easily sustainable for most shooters
Excellent bullet selection, Berger offers 180gr bullets with G1 BC's in excess of .65, JLK, Cauterrico, and others offer similarly excellent bullets with HIGH bc's and great match quality.
At sea level to 2000' ASL these are affordable calibers for people wanting to shoot 1500-1800yd.
Compared to a 338 LM with a 300 SMK, the family of these runs neck and neck until about 1800yd, they give up a little wind and make up a little drop over the big 338 mag while doing so for 1/3 of the cost of loaded rounds
Excellent hunting bullets are available with plenty of punch to take anything in North America and most African game
Out of the whole family, 7 SAUM is probably the most balanced in terms of overbore ratio, barrel life, short action mag feeding while giving up very little in terms of performance.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Cons:</span>
To reach the capabilities referenced above, you must reload
Barrel life is shorter than something like a 30-06, but again, it's a trade in performance
Mil surp component availability is practically nil, if you want one of these, be prepared to buy commercial brass, bullets, and powders.
Lapua doesn't make brass for any of them, however, Norma does so I'd consider this a push or a pro, not so much a con.
7 WSM in particular is a barrel burner, 2000-2500 rounds is expected. </span>

One note about the 7mm's is that if you're not shooting over 1500yd give a hard look at the 162 Amax and save your money on the 175 SMK and 180 Bergers. Sure the BC's are higher on the latter 2, but the 162 Amax will run to 1500yd with great results and they're about 60% of the cost of a box of Bergers. I use Bergers for matches and long long practice.

Excellent post.

For reasons related to my own personal experience, I have evolved my choices as follows.

.222 Rem Match/Target/Varmint.
.223 Rem Match/Target/Varmint, possible SR maybe MR Tactical
.260 Rem Match/Target/Varmint/Med Game, possible Tactical.
.280 Rem Same as just prior, plus Large Game
.30-'06 Match/Target/Med-large Game, possible Tactical/MBR
.44 Mag Small-Med Game/Zombies
20Ga. Med Game/Home Def/Zombies

Greg

Bohem,

As per your request of filling out some on the calibers, I load extensively for the <span style="font-weight: bold">7x57 </span>and the <span style="font-weight: bold">7mm-08</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">PRO'S</span>:

Best 'average weight' ballistics (high BC) of any caliber out there.

An abundance of lightweight bullets in the calibers to give flat shooting capability.

Most lighter bullets in these two calibers are more than adequate for any medium game.

Larger bullets in this caliber plenty adequate for large game in N. America.

Abundance of brass for reloading ( any .308 based cases)

Low recoil vs. performance of round.

*While match ammo may not be available, many factory loads have excellent accuracy and naturally high enough BC to compete at 1000 yds.

Great variety for a reloader.

Decent variety for a non-reloader.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">CON'S</span>:

Neither caliber will shoot the 'heavy for caliber' bullets flat like the 7mm magnums will.

7x57 has more capacity than 7mm-08 but can't go as high of pressure. The case taper allows too much bolt thrust during firing and causes excessive wear to cases.
7mm-08 can utilize more pressure than the 7x57 but lacks it's capacity.
Therefore ballistics between the two, when loaded to full potential, is quite close.

When reloading brass from other calibers some extra prep may be in order. (inner/outer neck turning, trimming etc.)

7mm list Factory guns not optimized (like the .308) for shooting long range:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]1-9 twist required to stabilize the 'heaviest for caliber' bullets not commonly found on factory guns.[*]Barrels not normally long enough to maximize velocity[*]Commonly put in too short of an action to really maximize COAL/performance.[*]Factory Match ammo either non-existent or intermittently produced in either caliber* -Note, see pros.[/list]

Best loads:

7x57: 1-10" twist, 26", 1.5" dia barrel. 45.2 gr. of RE-17 behind ANY 168/170 gr. bullet for MV of 2683
Do not expect this kind of top end factory velocity from anything except Hornady Lite-Mag.

7mm-08: 1-8" twist, 26", .75" @ muzzle barrel. 47.2 gr. of RE-22 behind any 175 gr. or 180 gr. bullet for MV of 2600.
Factory loads for this round are held up to pressure specs this round is capable of. No downloading for liability fear like the Mauser.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mistake, I thought I'd read in one of my reloading manuals that Winchester tried to shove it in a short action. I'll change that, thanks for the heads up. </div></div>

Maybe you were thinking 284.

I works nicely in either but in fact was made originally for the short action.

Yeah, I knew about the 284 and thought I'd read the same thing about the 264 as well, but no harm.

Thanks.

Sandwarrior, well done.

I will try my hand at this. I recently built a 6.5-06, and here is my input.

Pros:
6.5 mm has some very high BC bullets for target shooting
6.5 mm also has lighter bullets that are well suited for hunting medium game
Brass for 6.5-06 can be easily formed from 25-06, 270 Win, or 30-06 brass
Cartridge has the case capacity to launch a 140 gr Berger VLD at approx 3200 fps.
Ultra flat trajectories - ie 20 MOA to 1000 yds
Modest recoil due to weight range of bullets
Good supersonic range ~1500 - 1800 yards depending on MV

Cons:
Short barrel life 1000-1200 rounds
No factory ammo available, thus reloading is a must
Limited reloading data is available
Must be used in a Long Action

I have not completely finished load development yet, so after I finish, I will post my favorite laods.

With a bit of copy and paste from the initial post, here is my argument for the 223ai...

Pros:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Very easy to load for[*]Lots of hunting, factory, and bulk ammo choices if you don't feel like loading, or forget your fully formed ammo.[*]Extremely mild recoil[*]Excellent barrel life, I expect 8k easily[*]Fits in a SA magazine well with bullets near the lands for ammo tuning[*]Factory Lapua brass is available, as well as virgin Lake City, for forming loads[*]Cheaper component cost allows for more practice time[*]Ballistics with heavier bullets (75 gr+) match or exceed typical .308 ballistics [*]Feeds perfectly from the new AI 223 mags [/list]

Cons:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Smaller bullets make spotting misses more difficult[*]Lighter bullets get pushed by the wind a bit more[*]There are some minimum caliber limitations for competitions [*]Supersonic range is limited to about 1000-1050yds realistically (depending on bullet, altitude and temp)[*]You HAVE to load for it to achieve best results[*]You have to form brass via fireforming, which eats into barrel life (I use this to practice my dot drills)[/list]

Reactions: Dstoenner

Does someone want to add the Pros and Cons for 338 Lapua? Seems to be quite a popular long-distance round, but very expensive.

Reactions: simonp

Man that is a thread. I would like to see the pros and cons of the 338 lapua too. My brother is building one right now and it should be pretty sweet. Sticky this thread please.

CJ

Sandwarrior brought up a great idea for this thread. Guys ask about A vs. B all the time. If we split up the calibers to 1 chambering per post it's easy to reply wtih a hot link to each caliber when such a question is asked.

I'm pulling the stuff from my initial post out into individuals now. I don't have any first hand experience with the 338 LM or I'd write a list for it now.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">260 Remington</span>
Pros:
• Brass is easy to attain/make from 243, 7mm-08 or 308
• Excellent bullets in hunting and long range
• Easy to load for
• Good balance of case capacity and barrel life
• Barrel life is in the 3000 round range
• Wide range of powder choices
• Flexible hunting applications from varmints/predators to big game short of dangerous game like bear
• Very good for long range targets, supersonic range in excess of 1500yd (depending on altitude, temp, bullet)
• Low recoil
• Several factory rifle options including DPMS LR-260 uppers and bolt actions
• Lapua brass available in 243, so Lapua 260 cases are easily made

Cons:
• Expensive factory ammo with limited match grade choices
• R-P brass takes a lot of work for consistency, neck sizing 243 or 7mm-08 brass is almost necessary to get good brass
• Barrel life is not as good as 223 or 308 or 30-06, it is still decent though</span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">30-06 Springfield</span>
Pros:
I can wax poetic on this chambering and parent case, but I’ll try to keep it short… Just to keep a reference in mind, I shoot the 208 Amax at 2875 from a 26" barreled -06 and it runs alongside a 300 WM.

• Incredibly flexible chambering for a reloader
• Reduced recoil 110gr Vmax for light practice loads, smoking hot 110 Vmax for varmints/predators all the way through 240gr ultra heavy bullets can be loaded in this case with excellent results
• Huge choice of excellent bullets in both hunting and target applications
• Excellent reloading components available
• Forgiving powder choices
• Easy to find loading data
• Very good barrel life
• Loaded hot in a bolt action this case can compete with the smaller 300 Magnums like 300 WM and 300 WSM without trouble
• Long supersonic range in excess of 1700yd (again, bullet, temp, altitude dependent)
• Very large selection of factory rifles and custom rifles available for it
• Decent selection of match grade factory ammo (not like the 308 though)
• Mil surp ammo is still available as well as mil surp powder, bullets and brass for cheap practicing
• Excellent choice of caliber for just about anything on earth, easily anything in North America. While I wouldn’t advocate it over something larger, 30-06 and 8mm Mauser have been used to kill elephants and water buffalo.

Cons:
• Generally accepted limit for what the average shooter can stand in terms of recoil
• If you like gas guns there’s few choices in 30-06 and the common one, the M1 Garand, can’t take the full potential of the chambering without serious or catastrophic damage.
• Reduced choices for match grade factory ammo, it exists but it’s not as prevalent as 308 ammo. In reality, 308 match ammo is the gold standard for factory match choices.
</span>

Reactions: Vicko

<span style="font-weight: bold">Calibers and Choices: For Tactical Shooting, and the Magnificent Seven</span>

This site is mostly, but not exclusively, devoted to tactical shooting. The most common cartridge used in that endeavor is the 308 Winchester (w/1-12" twist or faster barrel) using the standard .473" bolt face.

Along those same lines are the: 243 Winchester (1-8" twist or faster), 260 Remington (1-8.5" or Faster), 7mm-08 (1-9" twist or faster). All use the same parent .308 Winchester case. All will work in the standard Remington 700 Short action. All will work and feed from the common Accuracy International Detactable Box Magazine (as well as the better clones of those mags).

Any of those four rounds, with a barrel of the appropriate twist, would make a excellent base rifle for most tactical shooting competitions.

In addition, there are other cartridges, not based on the parent 308 Winchester case, that are used, and have gained a significant following among tactical shooters.

These are:

6XC (1-8" twist or faster)
6.5x47 Lapua (1-8.5" Twist or faster)
6.5 Creedmoor (1-8.5" twist or faster)

Several caveats should be noted:

Suitable (for tactical competition use) factory off the shelf ammunition for the above seven calibers varies greatly. For example:

308 Winchester - Federal, Black Hills, Cor-Bon, HSM, Lapua and Hornady, just to name a few, that offer match grade ammo for this caliber.

.243 - Cor-Bon, DTAC

.260 Rem. - Cor-Bon, HSM, Black Hills

7mm-08 - Cor-bon

6XC - Cor-bon

6.5x47 Lapua - Lapua

6.5 Creedmoor - Hornady

Of the seven cartridges above, only the 308 Winchester is widely available in off-the-shelf factory rifles offered in the USA.

That means if your are contemplating buying a rifle chambered in something other than the 308 Winchester, you should understand that you will be looking more towards small rifles builders or fully custom built and/or re-barreled factory rifles, than a suitable offering directly from Remington, Savage, Winchester or Tikka, for example.

There are other cartridges used, but these Magnificent Seven will cover the spectrum of most tactical shooting competitions, out to 1000 yds, and then some.

Bob

.222 Rem

History: Parent case of the .223 Rem/5.56mm NATO and .222 Rem Magnum. Developed by Mike Walker in 1947/8, then an engineer in Remington's Employ. This round still holds the "all-time" accuracy record of .009" 5 shot group @ 100 yds. by McMillan.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">PRO'S</span>:

Arguably The most accurate round ever developed, to include the 6mm PPC. Otherwise the 6mm PPC would own the accuracy record, which it doesn't.

Brass is prevalent but better match brass can be made from various sources of .223 brass. * see CON'S.
Plenty of used rifles in .222 abound and new rifles can be found in the Remington 799* (discontinued recently) and CZ 527

1-10" to 1-12" twist will stabilize most older standard weight (specifically the 55 gr.) bullets.

Velocity of standard weight bullets is typically 3000+

Case will fit without issue into an AR-15 platform.

Round was made in extremely accurate platforms such as Win 70 HB and Rem 700 Varmint.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">CON'S</span>

*No Match brass. To make a match set one must sort possibly more than 100 cases to find 50 of equal weight and capacity.

Can't match velocity of .223/5.56mm

Twist in most factory rifles still at 1-12" or 1-14" which doesn't stabilize heavy enough bullets for extended ranges.

Not commonly found in factory rifles anymore.

Having to make "uber-match" brass.

Best loads:

22.5 gr. AA2015 behind a competition 50,52.53. 55 gr. bullet for a typical velocity of 3100-3200

23.5 gr. of H4895 behind a 55-60 gr. bullet for a velocity of 3050-3100.

If you have a 1-9"/1-8" twist 23.5 gr. of re-15 behind a 75 gr. Horn HPBT/A-max, 77 SMK, or Nos 77 CC for a velocity of 2800.

<span style="font-weight: bold">.22-250 Remington</span>

I will have to speak on the .22-250 since I have spent the most time developing loads and shooting this cartridge, than any other, in the last six months.

History

The .22-250 started life in the 1930's as a wildcat cartridge developed from the .250 Savage case necked down to take a .224 caliber bullet.

The .22-250 is very similar to but slightly outperformed (approx 100 ft/s) by the longer .220 Swift cartridge. However, it is in much wider use and has a larger variety of commercially available factory ammunition than the Swift. This makes it generally cheaper to shoot. The smaller powder load also contributes to longer barrel life, an important factor for high-volume shooters. Due to its rimless case the 22-250 also feeds from a box magazine with ease.

Pros:

-Bullet weight options from 36gr. to 70gr.
-Velocities from 4400 fps. with the 36gr. bullet to the 70 gr. bullet producing 3300 fps.
-As compared to the .223 Rem. firing a 55 gr. bullet. The .223 produces 3300 fps. at the muzzle vs. the .22-250 producing 3600 fps. It is fast!
-It delivers very good energy levels at short to moderate range: 1200 ft/lbs. @ 100 yds. to 400 ft/ lbs. @ 500 yds. (I have personally punched through 1/2" plate steel leaning 45 degrees toward me, on the second shot, at 100 yards.)
-Has a much greater barrel life than that of the 220 Swift.
-It is flat shooting. with a 200 yard zero the trajectory is -3.75" @ 300 yds., -20" @ 400 yds. -36" @ 500 yds. (55 gr. bullet)
-There is factory ammunition readily available from a long list of manufacturers.
-Because it is a .224. There is a wide variety of bullet choices for the reloader.
-It can be loaded with the same powders as many other popular cartriges such as the .308, .30-30, .30-06, .223 for example.
-Properly hand loaded ammunition can allow cases to be reloaded after several firings.
-It is arguably the best varmint cartrige on the market today. A hunting magazine editor once said "Most likely, more coyotes have fallen to the .22-250 than any other cartrige." It is an excellent prarie dog cartrige. As they are usually hunted in a moderate to high wind atmosphere.

Cons:
-Most rifles come in 1:12" or 1:14" twist. Which will usually only stabilize up to 60 gr. high BC bullets. They will stabilize the 70 gr. Speer, but not generally the 68-69 gr. match bullets. The 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate would most likely require a custom barrel. (sandwarrior's contribution)
-It is not available in factory produced AR platform rifles which gives more praise to the .223 Rem.
-Because it is not available in AR platform rifles it will most likely not be found at a 3 gun, run-and-gun, Tactical type rifle matches.
-There is no Military Surplus brass available for it, as opposed to the .223/ 5.56 NATO.
-Factory ammunition costs significantly more than that of the .223/ 5.56
-Because it is only a .22 caliber cartrige it is not suitable for anything larger than small whitetail deer.
-Because of it's light bullet it's maximum effective range is only 400-500 yards as opposed to cartriges chambered with 6.5 mm and larger bullets.

I, of course, am open to anyone who can add to or correct this information.

Halligan, nicely done. Thank you.

<span style="font-weight: bold">.204 Ruger</span>

Hornady developed this round as an attempt to break into the sub caliber market and produce the fastest factory cartridge on the market. The parent case is the 222 Rem mag that has been necked down and the shoulder blown forward.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Pros:</span>
Very flat, very fast round
Excellent for varmints such as ground hogs, prairie dogs and with the heavier bullets it would work for 'yotes
Relatively large choice of premium grade bullets from 26-50gr from Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, and Berger
Factory Hornady ammo choices are decent
The 20 caliber bullets have higher sectional densities and BC's than similar 22 caliber bullets, this round is actually a better wind/elevation performer than the 22-250 with the common factory offered loads
Essentially no recoil
Small powder burn for BIG velocities
Common powder such as H335, Benchmark, BLC-2 and Varget all work well in this case.
Bullets are inexpensive and prevalent
Decent barrel life, on par or better than 22-250
Factory AR15 uppers are offered in it, no special mags are required
Extremely accurate case, my factory Savage has routinely impressed me with groups that are sub 1/2" at 100y and sub 1" at 300yd with hand loads and the 40 Vmax @ 3850 fps
With little 26gr bullets and H110 I've loaded several rounds hot enough to break 4500fps with my rifle. This is fast enough to literally cook the eggwhite residue left at egg shoots.
Please correct me, but I believe Lapua makes 222 Rem Mag brass which can be formed to this with some work.

Cons
No mil surp brass or bullets for it
The case is 2mm longer than the 223 and so to mag feed those uppers you need to seat the bullets rather short in the case with a long jump to the lands
Aftermarket barrels under 22cal get more expensive, so the added cost must be factored in to a rifle build, especially with a sub 3000 round barrel life (reports vary wildly from 1400-2800 rounds depending on use, powder, bullet, etc)
Factory Hornady brass is decent but not great, Lapua brass availability is scarce and requires work to form from the parent case.
Even though a number of very good bullets exist, there's few with a G1 BC over .35 and (to my knowledge) nothing that even approaches 0.5 so it is not suited well to true long range shooting.

Correction: 450 Dakota, like 450 Rigby, is a .590 case head.

Ill do 300 winchester magnum and 338 lapua magnum

<span style="font-weight: bold">300 Winchester Mag</span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Pros</span></span>
-Flat shooting and fast
-Remains super sonic out to a very good distance
-Plenty of power to take down any game at long range
-Good barrel life for a bullet of its ballistics
-Plenty of ammo choices commonly available
-Ability to reload for it semi-easily
-Smack down power

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Cons</span></span>
-Ammo cost
-Kicks like a sledge hammer
-Overkill for most game at most ranges
-Overkill for short range targets where a smaller bullet could be cheaper

<span style="font-weight: bold">338 Lapua Magnum</span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Pros</span></span>
-Flat shooting and fast
-Stays super sonic out to a good distance
-Excellent knock down power
-Impressive ballistics

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Cons</span></span>
-Overkill for anything less than 1000yrds IMO
-Ammo costs/availability
-Overkill for any hunting
-Barrel life

The 6.5 and 350 Remington magnums were both chambered in short actions in the Remington 600. I wish I still had mine.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">worthy of stickyness. thanks for the effort here.

the .264 Win Mag cannot be stuffed onto a short action, though.</div></div>

Bohem. Great job. This will help allot of people including me. Thanks

Hello!
I just got a very nice custom made .300WSM off a FN action and am still working out the kinks...I've only fired 15 bullets through it. As any rifle would it made impressive groups at 50 yds. but once I moved into the 100 range they became a bit apart...not what I expected from such a nice rifle...
It has the BADGER ORD brake...could this affect much?
What "recipe" of loads have worked best for this caliber...
ANY input would be greatly appreciated...
Happy 4th!!!

Your post would be better suited in the reloading section and supported with reading through the reloading subforum. Without any detail to your post there's little actual advice anyone can give.

The point of this thread is not for troubleshooting specific rifles, please try elsewhere on Snipers Hide.

Bohem - excellent task you jumped on. Thank you for the work & good intel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem - excellent task you jumped on. Thank you for the work & good intel. </div></div>

wink.gif
Thanks. Several others have contributed quite a bit. As time goes forward I'll keep adding to it. Please feel free to add anything you have first hand experience with if it hasn't been covered.

If I missed some calibers above I'll edit them in if you let me know. Wildcats are welcome too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Moore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill do 300 winchester magnum and 338 lapua magnum

-Flat shooting and fast
-Remains super sonic out to a very good distance
-Plenty of power to take down any game at long range
-Good barrel life for a bullet of its ballistics
-Ability to reload for it semi-easily
-Smack down power

-Ammo cost
-Kicks like a sledge hammer
-Overkill for most game at most ranges

-Flat shooting and fast
-Impressive ballistics

-Ammo costs/availability
-Barrel life
</div></div>

On the 338 LM, it sounds like you have never hunted in Alaska. it's a great round for up here.

For the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Match

Ballistically the Hornady 6.5CM is close enough to the 260Rem and 6.5x47 that to me it's not worth arguing over. It is however, way better than the .308Win...way better.

This is the best part...it's the cheepest to shoot as well. As of last check...Midway was selling...

Hornady 6.5CM for $24 a box
CorBon 260Rem for $31 a box
Federal GMM .308win $37 a box
6.5x47 Lapua for $57 a box

To me it's a no brainer...you can reload for all of these cartridges...some I would even say you have to.

Call GAP...they have the 6.5CM reamer. I went down to Texas for a rifle match and used the data off the Hornady box to make my data cards and it was dead on...I would have been happy with close...but it literally was dead on.

$1200 for 1000 rounds of loaded match ammo in Hornady 6.5CM

$1550 for 1000 rounds of Corbon 260

$1850 for 1000 rounds of Federal GMM .308....(this is insane)

$2850 for 1000 rounds of 6.5x47 Lapua

you could get 460 more rounds of Hornady verse Federal for the $1850...thats no small difference especially since the 308 cant come close to the 6.5CM

Pick what you will...any of the 6.5 cals mentioned are proven to be accurate...your logistics and finances can help you decide.

On the question of barrel life...

I don't know of anyone burning out a 6.5 CM barrel yet but let’s just play with some numbers for fun.

When I was in the Marine Corps we had a Schneider barreled M40A1 that had 7000 rounds on it and was still shooting very well. We will say this is average for a .308win and I'm sure some have been cooked before this number.

So at $1850 per 1000 rounds of Federal GMM you will spend $12,950 for 7000 rounds and need a new barrel.

... so let’s ASSUME we get half (that seems significant to me) the barrel life of a .308win with the 6.5CM...so let’s go with 3500 rounds in the 6.5CM before you need a new one.

At $1200 per 1000 rounds of 6.5CM you will spend $8,400 for the same 7000 rounds like the .308win Federal GMM. That’s a difference of $4,550!!!!!!!!!! And you needed to hypothetically get one new barrel. I think I could buy a custom rifle with glass with that savings let alone a new barrel.

I'm guessing you could afford more than one barrel change with the money you save. Not to mention you have to be pretty motivated to put even 1000 rounds a year down range.

Be safe, shoot well

--KJ

Hello, I'm a novice at this stuff. So that saying I won't beable to add much to this fourm but just reading the input from others I can say what an learning experience. My $.02

Reactions: LooseGoose

Very good info here.

Is there any reliable information available on the optimum barrel length for a certain caliber? Perhaps "optimum" is not the best term in this case.

Say a guy wants to build a rifle and decides he wants to install an MTU contour barrel 21" long (for whatever reason, balance, etc.) and is considering a .223, .308 or a .260. Is there good info somewhere as to what the expected velocity could be based on caliber and bullet weight? I realize this depends on many things, powder, bore dimensions, temperature, etc. but this would help them evaluate ballistic info for their chosen barrel length.

I've looked around a bit and haven't found anything good. I've seen from a 20 fps loss per inch to 75 fps loss per inch. Granted, the larger the case the longer the barrel in general terms.

Any good info out there?

For mile long shots at a 20" by 30" steel plate, what caliber is the most cost efficient, keeping the idea of reasonably limited bullet drop and reasonably limited deflection from cross wind? Give me some numbers here please to help me see your train of thought. 1760 yards is far enough for my dreams. We all know 375 Cheytac is a beauty in this league, but it sure isn't a "medium cost" caliber in ammo components nor rifle acquisition. So what is, .338 Edge, or...???
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AdvenJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For mile long shots at a 20" by 30" steel plate, what caliber is the most cost efficient, keeping the idea of reasonably limited bullet drop and reasonably limited deflection from cross wind? Give me some numbers here please to help me see your train of thought. 1760 yards is far enough for my dreams. We all know 375 Cheytac is a beauty in this league, but it sure isn't a "medium cost" caliber in ammo components nor rifle acquisition. So what is, .338 Edge, or...???
confused.gif
</div></div>

Any of the better 7mm's, like 7mm Rem Mag, with a 28" barrel, that can launch a 180 Gr Berger VLD to 2950 FPS, will get to 1 mile. That's about as cheap as you can go, component wise.

The numbers at 1Kyds & 1.7K yds. for the 7mm 180 gr Berger VLD combo are:

1000 Drop MILs -6.9 MOA -23.6 Wind MILS 1.5 MOA 5.0
1700 Drop MILS -17.5 MOA -60.3 Wind MILS 3.1 MOA 10.8

Now let's look at the 338 Lapua, with the 300 SMK @ 2750 FPS, at 1Kyds and 1.7Kyds:

1000 Drop Mils -7.6 MOA -26.3 Wind MILS 1.4 MOA 4.8
1700 Drop Mils -18.7 MOA -64.3 Wind MILS 2.9 MOA 10.0

Neither of those two are the 375 Cheytac, but the cost of ownership is considerably cheaper.

Bob

i love this post its so helpful for what ive got in mind. im super novice i shoot a .308 but want a flatter trajectory out to 500+ yards. im considering switching to a .243 anyone wanna take an educated stab at the pros and cons for me.
thanks.

I have been in the same boat lately. I've got a .308 but want something flatter. With all things considered I chose the .260. I had thought about everything from the .243, 6.5x47 Lapua, to the 7mm-08...to the 6.5-284. I actually was pretty close to cloosing the 6.5-284 but barrel life is retarded short. So .260 it was.

The .243 has good brass choices better than let's say...260 rem., but the barrel life in a .260 is better I like the higher BCs of the .260. Hope this helps.

The 243 is a barrel smoker. Not as bad as the 6.5-284, but it's a torcher for sure.

The 260 has better bore life and I consider the brass between the two to be a wash. Lapua makes 243 brass, you can size it to 260 in 1 step. I size all new brass through the NS die before loading them for uniformity anyway so it's a wash.

The BC's on the 260 are 50-80 points higher generally but the 243 gets the highest BC bullets going so much faster that I think it might actually nudge out the 260 at distance.

The 243 is becoming more and more popular in tactical competitions because the bullets are inexpensive, recoil is nil, and it feeds great from regular short mag actions. It's a damn fine improvement over the 308 in terms of flight path.

If you want a 6mm that has great bore life, extremely good accuracy, enough capacity to push the 105-115's in the upper 2000's and flirt with 3000fps then take a look at the 6mm Bench Rest (6BR). Feeding the stubby little round is a bear, although thtere's some guys who have figured it out on 6mmBR.com

Added some numbers and comments to hopefully make more quantitative and objective:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Moore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill do 300 winchester magnum and 338 lapua magnum

-Flat shooting and fast <span style="color: #3333FF">(180 gr/3000+ FPS, 190 gr. 2950-3000+ FPS, 200 gr. 2900-3000 FPS, 208/210 gr. 2800-2950 FPS. (all depending on load and barrel length)</span>
-Remains super sonic out to a very good distance <span style="color: #3333FF">(208/210's will go SS to over a mile. At altitude almost 2k yds.)</span>
-Plenty of power to take down any game at long range <span style="color: #3333FF">(208/210's still have equivalent energy at 1150 yds as a .44 mag. at muzzle)</span>
-Good barrel life for a bullet of its ballistics <span style="color: #3333FF">(probably 1500 - 2000 rds. nominal)</span>
-Ability to reload for it semi-easily <span style="color: #3333FF">(the belt is more of an urban legend than a reality. If the brass is properly cared for, the belt is almost not a factor)</span>
-Smack down power <span style="color: #3333FF">(I have no idea how to quantify this)
</span>
-Ammo cost<span style="color: #3333FF"> (Not a con. Less than $1/rd. for high quality reloads)</span>
-Kicks like a sledge hammer <span style="color: #3333FF">(mitigated by weight and a muzzle brake, then feels like a stout .243)</span>
-Overkill for most game at most ranges <span style="color: #3333FF">(on small game and deer. Never overkill on mule deer or elk where you need everything you can muster)</span>

-Flat shooting and fast
-Impressive ballistics

-Ammo costs/availability
-Barrel life
</div></div>

John

Reactions: Combat Infidel

hey thanks for all the input it definitely helps and thanks tangodown ive actually never looked at the .260 however i still need some cold hard facts and figures as far as trajectory out to about 600 yards. thanks for your input as well bohem my only question is recoil on the 6BR i try not to lose alot of sight picture.

Here's my numbers on them:

260:

140gr VLD's ~ 2850fps from 24" barrel
123 Amax ~ 2950 fps from 24" barrel

6mmBR:

105class bullets 2800-3000fps depending on barrel length, twist, etc etc.

Recoil on the 260 is low, 6mmBR is practically non-existent. The 6BR is about 300fps slower than the 243 and it burns 2/3 the powder with double the barrel life.

Reactions: dhunt

thanks for all the help i really appreciate it. i love this thread definitely keep it going.

Of the 6.5mm bullets (.260Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua, etc),

Which one provides the longest barrel life, and what is the estimated count?

Which one has the most available factory ammo? Most accurate factory ammo?