• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber Choices - Comparison and Applications

Re: Caliber Choices - Comparison and Applications

6.5x61Super

Parent Cartridge = 7x61 Sharpe & Hart revised by Norma to 7x61Super Belted Magnum
Water Capacity = 77.6 grains
Bullet = 6.5mm 139 grain Lapua Scenar
Accuracy Load = 57.6 grains H4831SC
Velocity = 3,060 fps
-24.3 MOA@ 1,000 yards
-75.6 MOA@ 1,760 yards

MAX Load = 69.1 grains Vihtavuori N570
Velocity = 3,318 fps
-18.8 MOA@ 1,000 yards
-55.1 MOA@ 1,760 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Philip Sharpe and Richard Hart developed the 7x61mm in the early 1950's. In 1953 Schultz & Larson of Denmark started chambering their bolt action hunting rifle for a commercial version of the 7x61 S&H based on a shortened, blown out version of the .300 H&H Magnum case. Factory loaded ammunition was supplied by Norma of Sweden. The belted version of the 7x61 is also sometimes referred to as the 7mm S&H Super.

The 7x61's commercial popularity was limited by competition from the 7mm Weatherby Magnum, a more powerful standard length 7mm Magnum that was already on the ground. The introduction of the 7mm Remington Magnum in 1962 was the beginning of the end for the 7x61 in the U.S. market.

The commercial version of the 7x61 uses a belted magnum case 2.394" in length. Rim diameter is the standard magnum .532". Case length is 2.394" and overall cartridge length is 3.27". Bullet diameter is .284", the same as other true 7mm cartridges.

Norma supplied factory loaded ammunition for the 7x61 S&H. Their first offering was a 160 grain bullet at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 3100 fps with muzzle energy (ME) of 3410 ft. lbs. Later Norma introduced a 154 grain bullet at a MV of 3060 fps with ME of 3200 ft. lbs.

Handloaders can essentially duplicate the Norma factory loads, and have access to bullets of lighter and heavier weight. The fifth edition of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading shows 7x61 S&H loads for their 139, 154, 162, and 175 grain bullets. As with other 7mm Magnum cartridges, slow burning rifle powders work best in the 7x61.</div></div>

I built a .308 on a 700 action last year and have been very happy with the results. I built it for hunting out to 1000 yds. Although the .308 is not necessarily the best 1000 yd hunter, after many hours of working up a load, it will certainly do the trick. There is a reason mane LE and Military snipers use .308. I shoot a 175 gr burger vld at almost 3800 fps, shooting half minute groups out to 500 and still .75 moa out to 1000. When I built it, I considered building a 300 WSM but looking back I am glad I went .308.

I do all my elk hunting with a .308. I went last year with a guy who had a .325 short mag and I have to say I was glad I had my rifle and not his. I do not know what loads he was shooting but he put three rounds in the boiler room before that elk went down. Sure it is a fast and relatively flat round but his exit holes were almost the same size at his entrance holes. We both shot our elk right at 550 yds and I hit mine behind the shoulder on the near side and exited the back of the far shoulder. The 175 grain berger left a hole big enough to put my fist through. That elk died the second I squeezed the trigger. My personal preference is to avoid the wsm's in general because they are overkill for most of the hunting I do. I favor placement over velocity but hey, that is just me; to each his own...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntermanpaul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built a .308 on a 700 action last year and have been very happy with the results. I built it for hunting out to 1000 yds. Although the .308 is not necessarily the best 1000 yd hunter, after many hours of working up a load, it will certainly do the trick. There is a reason mane LE and Military snipers use .308. I shoot a 175 gr burger vld at almost 3800 fps, shooting half minute groups out to 500 and still .75 moa out to 1000. When I built it, I considered building a 300 WSM but looking back I am glad I went .308. </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntermanpaul</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I do all my elk hunting with a .308. I went last year with a guy who had a .325 short mag and I have to say I was glad I had my rifle and not his. I do not know what loads he was shooting but he put three rounds in the boiler room before that elk went down. Sure it is a fast and relatively flat round but his exit holes were almost the same size at his entrance holes. We both shot our elk right at 550 yds and I hit mine behind the shoulder on the near side and exited the back of the far shoulder. The 175 grain berger left a hole big enough to put my fist through. That elk died the second I squeezed the trigger. My personal preference is to avoid the wsm's in general because they are overkill for most of the hunting I do. I favor placement over velocity but hey, that is just me; to each his own...</div></div>

3800fps? I don't think a 30ft barrel is good for hunting :p

The guy was probably shooting FMJ's or was shooting at extremely long range if it wasn't expanding, other than that I see no way that it would be possible to pencil through without expanding. I love WSM's because they are such a great long range round, capable of expansion at 1000 yards with the right load. Hunting with a 308 at 1000 yards is unethical and shouldn't be done.

3800 is smokin for a 308 with 175's I cant' get that from my
300 WM

Sorry, that was a typo,I meant almost 2800, 2759 to be exact, not 3800 haha. That would be awesome wouldn't it? haha

Great thread man. I love my 06 and use it for everything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntermanpaul</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is a reason mane LE and Military snipers use .308. </div></div>

Yep as in they have no say in what they shoot, trust me they dont shoot 308 by preference its what they are issued.

Many better options than 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blue,

Whether a cartridge is a SA or LA one depends more on it's final COAL (as you or the factory loads it).

The boundary where a a SA Rem 700 stops and a LA Rem 700 begins has been changing over time, as new products come to market.

At one time a REM 700 SA was limited to 2.825", because that was the length MAX of it's internal magazine. But today there are a variety of extend internal mag boxes and DBM's.

Just considering DBM's, here are the most common readily available:

First original AI Mags:

AW 10rd Mag 2.980" OAL
AICS Mags 5 or 10 RD 2.880" OAL
AE mk1 5rd Mag 2.980" OAL

MORTA Mags:

Type 1 2.850" OAL
Type 2 2.960" OAL

Seekins Precision Proprietary

.308 2.940" OAL
WSM 3.14" OAL

As you can see, you could load a 284 Win. into a Seekins WSM DBM and stretch out to near 3.14". No need to necessarily put it into a LA to maximize performance. In addition, Wyatts makes a number of extended internal mag boxes, that can expand your choices.

So some cartridges normally though as LA, can be shoehorned into some SA with clever planning and some modest surgery. And cartridges normally thought as SA only, loaded with long VLD type bullets can be modified to work in LA's.

So what Remington put in a LA or SA, from the factory at one time, does not always apply now.

Bob

I've been wanting a 6.5x284 SA for a while but with the lack of room (I thought) I didn't attempt. But after reading this I check with Wyatts and got the extended mag and my gunsmith just built me one! Hopefully I'll get it to the range soon. Thanks for the info!!

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shane Parker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Short Action Calibers, 308 bolt face</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">7x57, 8x57, 9x67, 9.3x57</span> </div></div>

The 6.5x55mm and 57mm cases will not fit into a Remington short action, which is why Remington put them in the long action 700 when they built the Classics in these rounds.</div></div>

Remington chambered the 257 Roberts (x57 case) in their short action Mountain Rifle. Kimber chambers the 257 Roberts in their short action model 84M.

Awesome thread. I like others have lept from the 308 (i still have it and wont get rid of it though) to the 300WSM. She will be a FN TSR XP 300WSM.
Is this a good choice for 1,500 yrds? Ive heard its used by so and so for the1k matches. But then again, shouldnt it be able to reach out to 2,000 yrds effectively

It should be fine for 1500 yards depending on the load, with the right load it will be supersonic at a mile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It should be fine for 1500 yards depending on the load, with the right load it will be supersonic at a mile. </div></div>

Thx Rusty, I appreciate that info.
I believe having a Vortex PST Viper 6-24x50 FFP 1/4 MOA
I have enough scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem,

As per your request of filling out some on the calibers, I load extensively for the <span style="font-weight: bold">7x57 </span>and the <span style="font-weight: bold">7mm-08</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">PRO'S</span>:

Best 'average weight' ballistics (high BC) of any caliber out there.

An abundance of lightweight bullets in the calibers to give flat shooting capability.

Most lighter bullets in these two calibers are more than adequate for any medium game.

Larger bullets in this caliber plenty adequate for large game in N. America.

Abundance of brass for reloading ( any .308 based cases)

Low recoil vs. performance of round.

*While match ammo may not be available, many factory loads have excellent accuracy and naturally high enough BC to compete at 1000 yds.

Great variety for a reloader.

Decent variety for a non-reloader.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">CON'S</span>:

Neither caliber will shoot the 'heavy for caliber' bullets flat like the 7mm magnums will.

7x57 has more capacity than 7mm-08 but can't go as high of pressure. The case taper allows too much bolt thrust during firing and causes excessive wear to cases.
7mm-08 can utilize more pressure than the 7x57 but lacks it's capacity.
Therefore ballistics between the two, when loaded to full potential, is quite close.

When reloading brass from other calibers some extra prep may be in order. (inner/outer neck turning, trimming etc.)

7mm list Factory guns not optimized (like the .308) for shooting long range:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]1-9 twist required to stabilize the 'heaviest for caliber' bullets not commonly found on factory guns.[*]Barrels not normally long enough to maximize velocity[*]Commonly put in too short of an action to really maximize COAL/performance.[*]Factory Match ammo either non-existent or intermittently produced in either caliber* -Note, see pros.[/list]

Best loads:

7x57: 1-10" twist, 26", 1.5" dia barrel. 45.2 gr. of RE-17 behind ANY 168/170 gr. bullet for MV of 2683
Do not expect this kind of top end factory velocity from anything except Hornady Lite-Mag.

7mm-08: 1-8" twist, 26", .75" @ muzzle barrel. 47.2 gr. of RE-22 behind any 175 gr. or 180 gr. bullet for MV of 2600.
Factory loads for this round are held up to pressure specs this round is capable of. No downloading for liability fear like the Mauser.
</div></div>

Thanks the 7mm-08 is my favorite rifle cartridge I love the versatility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnny-bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seen the .300 RUM mentioned but no real data,
anybody? </div></div>

The 300 RUM I have not personally owned. I have a couple buddies who have them in variations from 7lb mountain rifles (I wouldn't even shoot it with a brake on it) all the way to a 25lb target rifle.

It is capable of 1/4MOA even at long range. The case has so much capacity that a large majority of 30cal bullets need to be down-loaded so they don't disintegrate upon launch. My friend with a target rifle had a 32" 10tw barrel, at 3400fps on 208 Amax's he would lose 1 in 5 or 6 to blow-ups; as the barrel wore out (took about 500 rounds total) they were more like 1 in 3.

It has an incredible amount of power for a hunting round. It's been long said that you can effectively hunt anything on the NA continent with a properly loaded 30-06. The RUM shoots DOUBLE the powder that the already powerful 30-06 case does.

Anything short of 200gr in a 300RUM is a "light bullet". The 338LM is a big case, and a 30-338LM is a massive 300 cal magnum. Keep in mind that the 338 Edge is a 338-300RUM and it's BIGGER than the 338LM. So, yeah, the RUM is functionally a massive 30cal rifle round.

All that being said in performance:

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Pros:</span>
- Lots of power
- Capable of good precision and repeatability
- Lots of bullets available for it
- Easy to find components

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Cons:</span>
- Brass is reported to be pretty poor
- Factory ammo is all hunting ammo and it's about $3/rd or more
- Barrel life STINKS (<800rd if you're very nice to it)
- Recoil, even with a brake, can be substantial
- If you want to shoot suppressed, you really need a 338 suppressor to get the best results

I'm hoping to go Prairie dog shooting next summer and can't make up my mind between .204 or 22-250 or maybe even a .243. every time I think I have made up my mind I read something else and change my mind again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95Hotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm hoping to go Prairie dog shooting next summer and can't make up my mind between .204 or 22-250 or maybe even a .243. every time I think I have made up my mind I read something else and change my mind again. </div></div>

In all seriousness, bring multiple rifles.

A 204 for inside 400-450, a fast twist 22-250 for out to 800, 243 for 600-1000.

If you get on a dog town at 300yd with a 243 the barrel will be toast after a day or two. If you only have a 204, you're going to running out of gas by 500yd.

I'd even leave the 204 home and bring a 9tw 223 for PBR-500yd and a 243 for out farther.

OK I like the .223 / 243 set up.
What would you recommend for a .243 load? 55 grain or something heavier ?
Thanks

I have a remington model 700 police tactical in 6.8spc and wanting to rechamber to 7rsaum. The one promblem I see is that its kinda of a rare rifle in that caliber. But, I am wanting alot flatter shooting caliber so that I can reach out and touch stuff alot farther out. Honestly I don't think the 6.8 can touch 800 yards let alone 1000yds. I guess what I am asking is this a good idea or should I just buy another gun.

This is an excellent thread but is very light on information on the .243. My target rifles are .308 and I love them. My hunting rifle is a .243. My next build is going to be a heavy barrel .243.

Please help a middle age fat man out. Give me the goods on the .243. No I will not be shooting multiple strings of hot rounds until I cant touch the barrel. Slow aimed shots...think along the lines of South Dakota antelope. Thinking along the lines of a Remington varmint contour barrel, 26" 1/8 twist barrel, Hornady 105 Amax for play and practice..115 dtacs for the paper

Lapua Brass and an old 6 digit Remington 700 to build on. Yes I reload.

The .243 really comes alive for long range with the Hornady 105 Amax. I have used this for coyotes at long distances out of a Rem. 700 with great success. The barrel life seams to go up with the heavier and slower bullets. A good 2 gun set up would be a .223 shooting a 69 gr. To 77 gr. bullet and a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

So many,many great rounds go choose from. I currently have 308 and 300wsm. But, would really love to have either a .243 or .284
Not that I want to get rid of the 300wsm or .308 either. They are all great rounds imo.

Looking to build a 800-1000 yard rifle for steel in a Remington 700 action. I'm wanting to get inputs, pros, and cons on a 6.5 creedmoor and rem 260. Other than steel, I need to be able to kill the occasional zombie at 1000 yards.

6.5cm is a little more powder efficient than 260rem, and has slighly cheaper factory loaded ammo. It feeds well in a AR10 platform too. More than enough to kill most north American animals except moose, large bear and elk at further distances.

Last edited:

I realize from reading here that the 270 is limited in factory loadings. However, I do have a 700 Sendero in 270.

So how does it compare with the better factory loadings in terms of performance?
Is it a flat shooting round? Compared to say the 308?

Good evening guys,
My "joujou" is a rem700/AICS/LotharWalther 26"/6br

From the point of view of the newbie i am,6br is GREAT, even at long range (i am not talking about hunting, only making hole on paper target)

i needed only a 2 hours to find out A accuracy load: less 1/3MOA group/5 shots at 100m(870m/s).

With not that much wind it shoot 1/2moa at 800m, 1moa at 1000m.

When the wind is strong and irregular results on traget are not good of course, but that teach you how to shoot, how to read the wind, etc...

This caliber is really économique et te procurera beaucoup de plaisir.

How many 7mm-08 fans out there, esp in 20-22" bbls?

Feedback? What bullets/powders, performance are you getting?

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 7-08 with a 22" barrel, I use bullets in the 140gr. class, since they give the best performance I think out of the 7-08. 45gr. of Rl-17 gives me 2800fps out of a 22" barrel with 140gr. TTSX, which is perfect for me.

I am a big 7mm08 fan. Great round! Like the 308 it shoots well with a variety of powders. Varget, RE15, both work well. Remember Karamojo Bell, Jim Corbett, and others used the equivalent 7x57 and .275 rigby to take elephant and tiger.

Thanks guys, curious what the 'latest fav' was in bullet/powder choices...the 162 seems popular, but a few use the 140 Bergers I have seen, and many others.

I'm new into the whole rifle shooting thing. I hunt varmints, predators, and the occasional pig. My bucket list includes an ASfrican hunt. I do not reload, so my caliber choices had to reflect that.
My rifles:
.17HMR - Savage 93R
PROS: cheap to feed, fun to practice on targets or varmints out to near 200 yards, at a close-in PD town I could shoot 200 rounds and have no concern about ammo cost, excellent barrel life
CONS: wind sensative, limited range

.204 Ruger - Rewmington 700 SPS Varmint
PROS: not to expensive to feed, VERY accurate out to 400 yards if the wind is right, fun for targets or varmint/small predators, it's my cheapest to shoot center fire rifle capable of challenging marksmanship, good barrel life, very light recoil
CONS: limited to hunting 'yote size or smaller critters, varmint barreled rifle in a B&C stock is a little to heavy to carry deep into the field

.223/5.56 - Daniel Defense M$
Pros: ammo is downright cheap, very fun to shoot in an AR platform, taking down running 'yotes is very challenging for marksmanship skills, rifle is light and easily carried all day, capable of taking a wild pig 200+ lbs with a proper shot, running a tactical range with a carbine is a blast, excellent barrel life, light recoil
CONS: my rifle is a DD M4 with a 16" barrel limiting long range accuracy

.260 Remington - Cooper 54 Excalibur
Pros: most versatile caliber I own, capable of taking up to medium size game at distance, under 10 pounds with scope yet accurate to shoot to 800 yards, capable of challenging marksmanship more than anything else I shoot, moderate recoil, decent barrel life
CONS: ammo expensive

7mm WSM - Savage 16FHSS
PROS: with proper shot placement can hunt anything in the Americas, with the right scope it can hit a target past 1000 yards
CONS: ammo expensive, short barrel life (being a Savage I can change a barrel at home), reciol is rough, in Texas it's not practical for anything other than target shooting or very long range varmint/predator shooting

7.62x39 - SKS Paratrooper
PROS: cheap ammo, fun to shoot, terrorizes wild pigs, light recoil, will take any game in Texas, long barrel life shooting non-corrosive ammo
CONS: inaccurate past 100 yards

.375H&H magnum - CZ 550 American
PROS: it's gets attention at the range, very fun to shoot for a short time, will take down anything that walks
CONS: ammo very expensive, paying for a hunt where the caliber is needed is expensive, RECOIL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5cm is ... More than enough to kill most north American animals except <span style="font-weight: bold">mouse</span>, large bear and elk at further distances.</div></div>
I've gotta see pics of those Nevada mice... sorry couldn't resist

I don't even pretend to be an expert but I have enjoyed this thread.
I've been shooting a 22-250 AI for about a year. The load I've settled on is a 75gr Amax sitting on 43.0 gr of H4831sc. They are clocking 3500fps out of 24" tube. Accuracy is quite good, generally sub 1/2 moa if I pay attention.
Pros:
Fast and decent bc for a 22
Great knock down for white tails and coyotes
Quick and easy to reload, no case stretching
Cons:
Fire forming brass (not a big deal)
May have barrel life issues??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simo Hayha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is an excellent thread but is very light on information on the .243. My target rifles are .308 and I love them. My hunting rifle is a .243. My next build is going to be a heavy barrel .243.

Please help a middle age fat man out. Give me the goods on the .243. No I will not be shooting multiple strings of hot rounds until I cant touch the barrel. Slow aimed shots...think along the lines of South Dakota antelope. Thinking along the lines of a Remington varmint contour barrel, 26" 1/8 twist barrel, Hornady 105 Amax for play and practice..115 dtacs for the paper.

Lapua Brass and an old 6 digit Remington 700 to build on. Yes I reload.

</div></div>

If you haven't seen this yet, it is an excellent .243 primer:

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Im not near a expert on anything but Ive had experience with

.17HMR
Great wee caliber. Tiny bullet flys well on calm days but doesn't like much of a breeze. Kills rabbits and small stuff real good even past 200yds but not much more, I sold mine because ammo costs as much as reloading 223 and the 223 isn't affected by wind as much.

.204 Ruger
I brought my wife one then I sold it to fund something else.
I loved it though shot flat blew things up like nothing else didn't ricochet. I sold the gun, not the caliber Ill get another. Its very economic to reload for something that shoot like a 22-250 it only uses 1\3 less powder tis affected by wind more but hey.

.223 Remington
What more has to be said really you cant afford not to have at least one.

.308 Winchester
I have one and I love it it does nothing exceptional but a lot of things well. There are any number of reloading components for it you can buy factory ammo anywhere. Pretty much any factory built mid length action rifle is chambered in it as a option the barrels last for a good while you can even get second hand target barrels cheap that have a lot of life left in them.
You can shoot a long way or a short way and kill most things with one.
If I could only have one centerfire the .308 would be it

Enjoyed reading this thread. None of it is wrong per se, but neither is all of it totally correct imho.

Anyways, subscribed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the question regarding which 6.5mm / .260 cartridge to pick keeps popping up. Here is a link to the thread that has truly been beaten to death. Hopefully this will slow down the rate of meaningless posts.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">6.5x47 vs 260 and 6.5creedmore</span></span>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...1776#Post901776
</div></div>

Well done btw. Exactly correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tylermtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my take on the <span style="font-weight: bold">50BMG</span>

Pros
- its a .50
- Wow factor
- Very high BC bullets available
- Cheap surplus components available
- Good selection of "match grade" components available
- Ability to shoot API and incendiary (so much fun) - make sure you take the appropriate precautions....
- Less recoil than you would think for such a big cartridge
- Costs less to shoot than some of the other BIG cartridges (.408 CT, 416 Barrett....)
- You can buy factory ammo for plinking or match use.
- Easy to spot misses due to large bullets
- Did I mention that shooting a 50 is FUN.
- After you clear everyone else off the line with the muzzle blast, you will have the range to your self.

Cons
- Expensive to get into and feed
- Can be hard on lesser scopes
- Muzzle blast in awful
- not allowed on some ranges
- Heavy
- The rifles are big, it may not even fit in you car depending on what you drive
- Not the easiest rifle to carry.
- Might not fit in you safe.
- Chances are that your current reloading set up is not big enough to work. you get to buy all new stuff
- Add all new cleaning gear to that too.
- Even though it costs less to feed than some, its still expensive
- you have to spend a lot more to get a repeater
- Draws a crowd. This can be fun, but it gets old when you just want to shoot
- Hard on targets, you have to use some judgment before you shoot other peoples steel.

There are some serious drawbacks to the .50, but the fun factor makes the trouble worth it to me!!
</div></div>

I was goona type ... you sure missed a lot of pros. I guess you were being politically correct huh?

Thanks for all the great info guys, really handy info for a newb.

This has been a great thread and with the build that I am starting it has given me as I see it two options.
280 ackley improved
Can someone provide an tie breaker.

Have really enjoyed reading this post. Has really provided some great information!!

I have several calibers mentioned:

.17 HMR
.22 cal

The .243 is one of my favorite calibers. Very accurate round!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: navytacticalnuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has been a great thread and with the build that I am starting it has given me as I see it two options.
280 ackley improved
Can someone provide an tie breaker. </div></div>

The 280 AI holds about 8gr more water than the 284 does according to the water capacity of cases that have come from my reamers. That 8gr more capacity turns into about 5gr more powder capacity, which means more performance.

You can get Nosler brass in 280 AI already formed, the reports coming back on it are that it's every bit the quality of the Lapua 284 Brass.

Lots more people make regular 280 brass that can be blown out to 280 AI. And there's great 270 Win brass that just needs to be false-necked and shot to form into 280AI and it's WAYYYYY cheaper than anything in 284.

The 280AI will feed from factory rails in a Remington action where the 284 needs a different follower and some minor feed rail work done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: navytacticalnuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has been a great thread and with the build that I am starting it has given me as I see it two options.
280 ackley improved
Can someone provide an tie breaker. </div></div>

The 280 AI holds about 8gr more water than the 284 does according to the water capacity of cases that have come from my reamers. That 8gr more capacity turns into about 5gr more powder capacity, which means more performance.

You can get Nosler brass in 280 AI already formed, the reports coming back on it are that it's every bit the quality of the Lapua 284 Brass.

Lots more people make regular 280 brass that can be blown out to 280 AI. And there's great 270 Win brass that just needs to be false-necked and shot to form into 280AI and it's WAYYYYY cheaper than anything in 284.

The 280AI will feed from factory rails in a Remington action where the 284 needs a different follower and some minor feed rail work done. </div></div>

I remember reading that the 280AI holds about 5gr. more water than the 284, the 284 holds 66gr., 280Rem holds a bit over 67, and the AI holds a bit over 71gr., giving it about a 3gr. powder capacity advantage, which is still a lot, but also keep in mind that the 280AI is loaded to 65K PSI, a lot more than the 284, which I believe is loaded to 58K. A top end 280AI load is just about the same as a mild 7RM load, while the 284 performs almost exactly the same as the 280REM, outperforms it by a bit using Reloader 17.

Isn't the 6.5x55's case the same length as the 284? I thought the only reason the swede was a long action cal is because it was originally throated for the long 160 gr bullets. I would assume that it could be run in a short action if a 6.5x284 can as long as the reamer used had a shorter throat.