• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber Choices - Comparison and Applications

Re: Caliber Choices - Comparison and Applications

I'm putting together a 30-06 with 168gr A-Max for general purpose; T3 with 4.5 X 14 X 40 Nikon. I would like the better stuff but I haven't hit the lotto yet.

I would say for 90% of shooters, the .308 is a good choice. It is good for anything inside of 1000 yrds and is available from many different manufactures with several different weights/grains and other variations, match, boat-tail, etc.
You can find better coefficient numbers with other calibers, but the others can get pretty pricey.

Thanks for the post Bohem and everybody else who has contributed so wisely. I have only recently discovered Tacticool and M40 clones etc and definitely starting to look at build some up.

Some of the issues with that in Australia is they dont want to go round scaring people with black guns (we generally cannot get a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun in any caliber anymore)so when we do get the components and build them we have to go a little underground even in our own community which sucks.

I have a .223 to build up and a few guns to trade off to build others. probably a .308 I already have some .325 WSM ammo I got on the cheap so its worth building a gun for.

But other than those most of my shooting is actually hunting not long distance or target shooting so each of the guns and calibers have to be specific to good hunting distances (300 yds max and generally 100yds or less) so Pistol calibers or short fat rounds like B&M or even whispers are the go in faster actions than bolts and since we cant get semi-auto its pump rifle (amend a Remington piece eek, clunky) or get a lver piece (not very much the look Im after at the end of the day)

So I shoot a lever 44 Mag a Ruger 96/44 and hoping to build a larger capacity mag for market in a 8 shot or such for both 96's and 99's. I'd like to get a 500 S&W built on a custom pump and I think I'm hooked in with the right guys to do that after being stuffed around for two years by a company remaining nameless. Other than that I might do a 375 whisper i both a Rem pump conversion and a M40 clone as I have the reamer available to me and fit the standard 308 components.

Grand plans hopefully it doesnt take years!

But thanks again to those who have contributed and will get through the whole thread to make sure I have it covered.

Cheers!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in the 6.5x55 round and wonder in a modern Remington 700 action, what would be a reasonable target velocity with 142 SMK bullets and a 26" barrel. I am not looking to set records, but would like to wring out as much as I can for long range steel targets. I would work up to this load and I am partial to 4831Sc as a powder for this load. Comments welcome. I do not want to hassel with the AI option. </div></div>

"I have to admit I took a liking to the Tikka M595 Continental. It's a handsome and well-made rifle with a slick action. Accuracy was very good, as seems to be a trait of Tikka rifles. This can be seen in the fact the 1999 British Long-Range Benchrest Championship was won by a Tikka Continental in 6.5x55. Group size was an almost unbelievable 10 rounds into 4.4 inches at 1,000 yards. Anyone looking for an accurate out-of-the-box varmint rifle would do well to consider a Tikka."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2_49/ai_95680073/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

Well I have pretty much read this entire thread, and have decided that luckily, I already have the calibers I need. Since I am not reloading at the time, I have to shoot factory ammo. Considering that, My .223, 30/06, 7mm, will do everything I need from varmits to 1000yd shots.
I am a simple kind of guy, and these calibers seem to be perfect for me!

Lots of good info here. There is a reason why the .308 is so popular - it fits most needs for a lot of shooters.

Hello everyone, just joined today and this will be my first post. This thread has been an incredable wealth of info. thanks to all who offered their knowledge. I have basically no experience in LR shooting, but I'm VERY interested and I've been studying for some time now. I just picked up my first rifle.(took forever to decide what to get) I finally settled on a Rem. 700 Sendero, in 300WM. All I knew was what i wanted to be able to do, and that was to learn to shoot 1000 yards. I went with the 300 because of its flat trajectories, speed, and power. I don't have the means to reload, so for now i'm sticking with Hornady 178gr A-max match, and 180gr superformance. Later I'm going to pick up some Federal Gold Match 190gr. BTHP's. What I'd like to know is how bullets of this weight and caliber handle at long ranges. I'm hoping someone can give me Information on drop, wind drift(10mph full value), and power out to 1000-1200yds.

If I'm asking this in the wrong area please let me know.

Thanks, and sorry for the long intro.

Check out the 7mm page on 6mmbr.com. Thats where I did a lot of research. I ended up going with the .284win, and I love it

If you are using hornadys superformance you can go to there web site and go to there ballistic calculator and type in all the info and hot calculate and there you have it, but the more you knoe the better like Ballistic coefficient and velocity which the velocity is on the box but differs in elevation and barrel length.

I normally lurk but I will give a viewpoint. I made rifle barrels all my adult life. I am now old, retired, and nearly dead. I have shot from 22 rimfire to the 50 BMG.

I suggest the 6BR.
Pro: Cheap to shoot
Extremely accurate. Most shooters never know real accuracy until they use the PPC or the BR.
Very low recoil. Fun for anyone.
Very good barrel life.
Capable of world class accuracy from 100 to 1000 yards depending on bullet and correct twist. The BR can't quite match the PPC under 300 yards but will clearly beat it at the longer ranges. Most shooters don't have a clue what real accuracy is. The BR can shoot in the zeros.
Very easy to make switch barrels for the same rifle. Therefore a 1-14 twist for 68/70 gr bullets for up to 300 yards and 107 gr for up to 1000 yards in a 1-7 twist barrel. This makes a cheap way to make the same rifle cover different duties. A shooter can switch barrels in less than 15 minutes.
Easy to find an accurate load.
Use common short actions with standard bolt face.
Con: Poor choice for deer size game.
Not a serious pest caliber.
Not a tactical round.
Can't lick the PPC under 300 yards.
Low energy. It does not smack steel like a .300 Win Mag.
Velocity is low for 1000 yard shooting which allows the wind to work on it.

I strongly suggest that young turks and old shooters look closely at this caliber.

6/250

I recently had a 6/250 completed and worked up some loads.

Pros
-The 6/250 is pushing 105's 2900-3000 fps with 37.5gr of IMR 4350.
-The accuracy is great with sub .3 moa groups at 300yds prone.
-Great ballistics for tactical matches and long range shooting.
-Barrel life should be 3000+ rounds.
-Extremely fun to shoot with minimal recoil. I shoot it all day and want more.
-Though it is a wildcat components are available off the shelf Reading has the dies. 22-250 brass is easy to neck up.
-Great bullets available. Hornady match 105's worked better than any of the other match bullets in mine. I tried them all. No I am not sposered by Hornady though i would love to get free stuff.
-Very accurate at long ranges. I can punch .5 MOA groups at 900yds on those spectacular days of low wind and I am a novice

Cons
-It is a wildcat. You can not just buy match ammo.
-I had some issues with lapua brass due to the neck thickness near the shoulder- requires neck turning.
-As mentioned above it does require necking up brass or necking down the 250 savage. This was a little intimidating for me at first.
-Knock down power will be less than the larger calibers at long ranges.
-BC's of the bullets are not as good as the 6.5's

Hopes this helps.

Like Jerry said, the 6BR is a phenomenal round. I found this particular comment very telling

"Most shooters never know real accuracy until they use the PPC or the BR."

I certainly agree, though it is important to consider that there are few 1/4MOA or better shooters out there. The capability of a 6BR is not often realized by shooters.

One "con" that I didn't see, and would be a big consideration for field-use, repeaters is that the stubby 6BR takes some work to make it feed in actions, and it is not only magazine changes. There are changes to ejector plungers, springs, and timing of extractors that influence making it feed reliably in a repeater.

The 6/250 is a pretty cool caliber, the 6-6.5 Creedmoor is not dissimilar. The 6/250 has been winning High Power midrange matches for many years.

The 375 Allen Magnum loaded with the 350 gr. SMK offers nearly identical trajectory as its 338 caliber sibling out to 1200 yards yet has a significantly larger kenetic energy payload. While it gives up a bit in flexibility with fewer bullet options, it also offers mearsurably longer throat life and more punch on heavy game at extreme range.

Parent Case: 408 Cheyenne Tactical

Recommended Bullets: 350 grain Sierra Match King

Recommended Powders: Hodgdon Retumbo

Recommended Primers: Federal 215 Large Rifle Magnum

Velocity Performance:
Bullet Weight Velocity (33" barrel length)
350 gr. 3300 fps

Ballistic Performance:
Bullet Weight: 350 gr. Sierra Matchking @ 3300 fps, 500 yard zero, 10 mph

Yardage velocity wind drift Energy TOF(sec)
600 2660 fps 11.0" 5499 ft/lb 0.607
1000 2281 32.7" 4043 1.095
1400 1936 69.2" 2912 1.665
1800 1625 124" 2051 2.343
2200 1358 202" 1432 3.152
2600 1154 308" 1034 4.116
2800 1082 371" 910 4.656

Recommended Uses: Big Game Hunting is the major purpose for the 375 Allen Magnum but with the larger bore diameter it also has found some use in extreme range target shooting. Like its smaller caliber brother 338 A.M., the 375 Allen Magnum is extremely effective for big game hunting at long to extreme range. With the larger frontal area and heavier bullet weight, the 375 A.M. is suitable for the heaviest big game animals and its especially suited for hunting elk, moose and similiar size big game at ranges past 1000 yards. It also is well suited for smaller big game species at any supersonic velocity range but it is better suited toward heavier game species.

Effective Range: With its primary bullet, the 350 gr. Sierra Matchking, the 375 Allen Magnum will sustain supersonic velocity to a range of roughly 2800 yards give or take slightly depending on elevation. With the weight and diameter of this bullet, the 375 Allen Magnum will easily harvest medium big game at any supersonic range assuming the hunter has the ability to put the bullet through the vital area of the target animal. Even if bullet expansion is minimal, the 375 caliber projectile is very effective at cleanly harvesting big game because of its large frontal area and large amount of tissue displacement., For heavier game, its recommended to keep shots to to less then 1 mile (1760 yards) simply because of bullet time of flight and not nessesarily because of lack of terminal performance at longer distances.

Pros: Fully formed, correct headstamped custom brass available from APS with rifle orders. Extreme terminal and ballistic performance. BR class accuracy. Longer barrel life then 338 A.M.(estimate 20-25% longer). Comfortable recoil levels with the Xtreme Heavy Sporter rifle platform. Very similiar trajectory to 338 A.M. but with more terminal authority on heavier big game.

Cons: Requires custom receivers because of the size and overall length of the 375 A.M. ammunition. Rifles are long and relatively heavy starting at around 16 lbs ready to hunt with. Recoil is noticably heavier then the 338 A.M. but not punishing in any way. Choice of quality long range bullets is relatively limited compared to 338 caliber.

I'm new to the hide and want to build a 264 Winchester magnum tactical and ideas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Added some numbers and comments to hopefully make more quantitative and objective:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Moore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill do 300 winchester magnum and 338 lapua magnum

<span style="font-weight: bold">300 Winchester Mag</span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Pros</span></span>
-Flat shooting and fast <span style="color: #3333FF">(180 gr/3000+ FPS, 190 gr. 2950-3000+ FPS, 200 gr. 2900-3000 FPS, 208/210 gr. 2800-2950 FPS. (all depending on load and barrel length)</span>
-Remains super sonic out to a very good distance <span style="color: #3333FF">(208/210's will go SS to over a mile. At altitude almost 2k yds.)</span>
-Plenty of power to take down any game at long range <span style="color: #3333FF">(208/210's still have equivalent energy at 1150 yds as a .44 mag. at muzzle)</span>
-Good barrel life for a bullet of its ballistics <span style="color: #3333FF">(probably 1500 - 2000 rds. nominal)</span>
-Plenty of ammo choices commonly available
-Ability to reload for it semi-easily <span style="color: #3333FF">(the belt is more of an urban legend than a reality. If the brass is properly cared for, the belt is almost not a factor)</span>
-Smack down power <span style="color: #3333FF">(I have no idea how to quantify this)
</span>
<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Cons</span></span>
-Ammo cost<span style="color: #3333FF"> (Not a con. Less than $1/rd. for high quality reloads)</span>
-Kicks like a sledge hammer <span style="color: #3333FF">(mitigated by weight and a muzzle brake, then feels like a stout .243)</span>
-Overkill for most game at most ranges <span style="color: #3333FF">(on small game and deer. Never overkill on mule deer or elk where you need everything you can muster)</span>
-Overkill for short range targets where a smaller bullet could be cheaper

<span style="font-weight: bold">338 Lapua Magnum</span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Pros</span></span>
-Flat shooting and fast
-Stays super sonic out to a good distance
-Excellent knock down power
-Impressive ballistics

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Cons</span></span>
-Overkill for anything less than 1000yrds IMO
-Ammo costs/availability
-Overkill for any hunting
-Barrel life
</div></div>

John </div></div>

Don't you think the 300 WM has versatility too? One can use lighter 110 gr, very high speed rounds for varmiting and 200-220 gr rounds for big American game. You can get Hornady or Lapua brass, and there seems to be a pretty good selection of slow burning powders as well (H1000/RL22 seem to be the most common I've read people using).

For me, the decision was between 300 WM and 30-06. 300 WM appeared superior. Any thoughts on that?

Also, don't you think that ~ 1000-2000 rounds is a short barrel life? For me that is an advantage a 30-06 has over the 300 WM.

I just want to thank everyone for thier shared info here. I have been sitting here reading this post now for the past 1 1/2 hours just taking it all in. I am fairly new to the hide and can I just say I wish I would have found you guys years ago. Thanks fo the info and I hope some day to contribute like you all have. Duke

I would like to add my thoughts about the 7mm-08. I started my rifle project based off a remington 700 308 action and bolt face. The rifle was to be built for tactical matches of sort and for a mid range hunter for white tail, and maybe mule deer. Maybe out to 700-1000. With that in mind and lots of research and looking at balistic and energy numbers I went with 7-08.
Pros.
good barrel life
cheep to load for compared to the short mags.
way better balistics than a 308.
Good selection of high BC bullets for both hunting and target, Several do both.
Mild recoil
Better down range energy than most if not all of the other 308 based rounds.
Ability to shoot one bullet and load for both target and hunting.
Down range energy makes it easier to tell hits on steel at long range and and to call misses.
Good to 1300 yards+ with my load at 3000 feet.

Cons.
Factory rifles are not barreled fast enough for the mid to heavy bullets.
Costom rifles or rebarrel are the only options.
All most have to reload, Corbon is the only factory ammo with heavy bullets.
Detachable mag best options to increase COAL.

I could not be happier with my decision for a do all rifle.
My load is 162 Amax's over 46 gr H4350 at 2740fps out of a 25.5" barrel. Remington brass and Win large rifle primers. My data is 28.5 MOA and 5.5 MOA of wind at 1K at 3000'.

I hope this helps some one.

OK. I went through entire thread and saw the 284 Winchester mentioned but never reviewed. I am currently collecting components to build a 284 in a long action and am curious for the few who shoot and are even aware of this caliber: What are the pro's and con's? I will be running the high BC projectiles between 2800 and 3000 fps.

Thanks in advance.......

OK, I went through this entire thread and saw the 284 Winchester mentioned but never reviewed. I am currently collecting components to build a 284 in a long action and am curious for the few who shoot and are even aware of this caliber: What are the pro's and con's? I will be running the high BC projectiles between 2800 and 3000 fps.

Thanks in advance.......

From what I know about the 284 Win it is a great round. It is better on barrels than the 7 short mag and 7 remington mag, with almost the preformance. It is ballisticly about the same as the 280 remington. How ever when built in a long action it allows for a longer COAL which gives more room for powder. I think in this configuration it slightly edges out the 280 Remington. If I was going to build a 7mm on a long action this is what I would build. Less powder being burned,and less recoil.

Cons would be that brass and reloading dies seam to be hard to come by. My buddy is having one built and is in the process of gathering the components to start load development as soon as his rilfe arives.
Very limited load data for heavy match bullets.
Custom rifles are the only way to go. Very limited factory production.
Barrel life is shorter that the 7-08.
Would probably require at least a 24" barrel for maxium velosity.
One must handload, and winchester is the only company that ever produce factory ammo and it is exspensive.

I would build it on a long action. Should do great for long range stuff out to 1400 yards or so. Has more energy than the 7-08, or the 6.5-284 for spoting hits on target and for hunting.

could somebody compare the 7mm08 to the 7x57 mauser?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mountain Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I know about the 284 Win it is a great round. It is better on barrels than the 7 short mag and 7 remington mag, with almost the preformance. <span style="font-weight: bold">It is ballisticly about the same as the 280 remington. How ever when built in a long action it allows for a longer COAL which gives more room for powder. I think in this configuration it slightly edges out the 280 Remington.</span> If I was going to build a 7mm on a long action this is what I would build. Less powder being burned,and less recoil.

Cons would be that brass and reloading dies seam to be hard to come by. My buddy is having one built and is in the process of gathering the components to start load development as soon as his rilfe arives.
Very limited load data for heavy match bullets.
Custom rifles are the only way to go. Very limited factory production.
Barrel life is shorter that the 7-08.
Would probably require at least a 24" barrel for maxium velosity.
One must handload, and winchester is the only company that ever produce factory ammo and it is exspensive.

I would build it on a long action. Should do great for long range stuff out to 1400 yards or so. Has more energy than the 7-08, or the 6.5-284 for spoting hits on target and for hunting. </div></div>

Pretty spot on, nice writeup.

The text in bold is where I would offer a slightly different opinion, having built and owned both.

The long action built 284 is just a little behind the 280 Rem case. The 280 has about 6-7gr more water capacity which works out to a useful 3.5-4.5gr of powder capacity increase. My 280 with a 28" barrel was putting out 180gr Bergers at the same speed as the 30" 284 with a little more powder, but longer brass life in the primer pocket. A clear indicator that it was doing so with a lower peak pressure.

The 284 is an excellent round and so is the 280. Functionally for use in the field there isn't much difference, they both are very good rounds and perform well for competition, hunting, etc.

The 7x57 and the 7-08 is kind like a 7 Rem mag compared to a 284. Both are excellent, the 7x57 factory ammo is downloaded because of the old rifles that exist still.

With new, good brass, modern bullets and powder it's a great round. Not dissimilar from the 284's performance. Just a hair behind it.

I would not hesitate to build a 7x57 if I had a long action laying around. You won't be disappointed in how it shoots.

oh im not, i shot a white tail with it at 400 yards 3 weeks ago, i wasnt sure if it was bigger than an 08 or not. ballisticly how does a 7x57 with 160 grain bullets compare to a .308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lessthanfour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oballisticly how does a 7x57 with 160 grain bullets compare to a .308? </div></div>

It makes a 308 look like a fat kid at the track meet.

If money wasn't an option, I would grab a .50 bmg... LOL.

I chose the .308 simply because its been used by the military since 1954... Ammo is common, long barrel life, mild recoil (compared to long action rifles)..

I think everyone owes Bohem thanks for this thread. I suggested the 6BR and anyone can see my comments on an earlier page. Bohem is totally correct that the BR does not work well in repeaters. Perhaps it would be useful to make a short list of my general "cons."
Nonstandard boltface is a con.
Need for a custom action is a con.
Recoil above a 30-06 is a con.
Cost above a .300 Win Mag is a con.
Calibers with few bullet choices is a con.
Barrel life below 3000 rounds is a con.
Calibers that don't feed well is a con.
Need for a custom twist is a con.
Special brass, rare brass, or poor brass is a con.
Calibers that can't agg. under .500 is a con.

Hopefully this is food for thought. All other opinions are respected.

Hey my brother [Jerry 1] from another mother. You just hit very nicely in your posting every reason why I like the .308 Not very sexy but it gets the job done. Damned thing doesn't beat ya' ta' death and you can pretty nearly shoot it forever with good care and maintenance. Anchors'Aweigh/SemperFi
Have a fine Navy Day
Chief Bull

So lots of people are writing about the 22-250, 308, 223, 300 win mag, and 338 lapua ...

Any thoughts on the .270 WIN or the .243 WIN?

Could someone obviously more knowledgeable than me do a compare and contrast the pros and cons of the .243 vs. 7mm-08? I'm going to have a Remington 700 VS rebarreled with a 26" varmint/Sendero contour in one of these calibers for long range shooting but just can't decide. I'm leaning toward the .243 but wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages of one caliber over the other. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shooting what long range? </div></div>

The rifle will mainly be used for paper punching but may occasionally be used for hunting. Most range shooting will be 100-300 yds. but I also intend to start stretching out there to 600 - 1000 yds. Thanks.

Bohem,
A 208 grain Amax at 2875 from a 30-06?? Is that max or close to max load? Ive never tried the 208 amax in an 06. But thats one of my favorite 30 cal bullets and 30-06 is probably my all time favorite hunting rounds. And every now and then, I like to see how far I can shoot my sporterized 1942 Remington O3 springfield. She may be old, (and have her original barrel) but her accuracy is quite surprising.

I would like to hear from those that have shot both a Win 284 in LA and the 7mm mag. I can't decide on the right one for me. I will be doing a lot of shooting on the range, but would also like to feel good about hunting large game such as elk. I have read the links of the 7mm pages, but want to hear from those that have shot both. Thanks for your replies and information you can provide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Schne3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to hear from those that have shot both a Win 284 in LA and the 7mm mag.</div></div>I shoot a .284 LA with 180 VLD's for comps: 52 grains of powder gets me a 1600-yard-capable rifle, and it's fine for thin-skinned game at all reasonable ranges. A 7mmRM would get you more velocity, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic artist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem,
A 208 grain Amax at 2875 from a 30-06?? Is that max or close to max load? Ive never tried the 208 amax in an 06. But thats one of my favorite 30 cal bullets and 30-06 is probably my all time favorite hunting rounds. And every now and then, I like to see how far I can shoot my sporterized 1942 Remington O3 springfield. She may be old, (and have her original barrel) but her accuracy is quite surprising. </div></div>

Yes, that's a max load.

I've seen temperature inflated pressures over 3000fps but the cases didn't last more than 1 firing. That's how I found out that RL22 was pretty temp sensitive.

Right now I'm shooting H4831sc and getting 2800fps from a 26" barrel but the speed is consistent all year 'round.

With the RL22 I am down to about 2845fps avg. as the barrel is wearing (over 5000rd down it now) but in the winter time the average is 2725-2750 and the summer is 2840ish. Not acceptable to me so I took the small decrease in summer speed to get a consistent (and faster winter speed) for shots all year.

I also run Win brass over RP or Lapua because with a little prep work the Win is excellent, it's much less painful if I lose a piece over the Lapua, and it's thinner than the rest of them so I can get more powder in the case without spiking pressures.

<span style="font-weight: bold">8mm Remington Magnum</span>

Pros
Great worldwide hunting round
Good barrel life and accuracy
Brass available from Remington
Used to be standard chambering for 700

Cons
Muzzle brake recommended(akin to 308's kick w/Badger FTE)
No high B.C. bullets in domestic market
A lot of 30cal restrictions in matches

Remington 700 Sporter bought in the early 80s and it's scary accurate @ 1000yds
Just wish more bullets choices were available. 8mm is more popular in Europe. The 200SMKs do do the job though.

Anyone have info on the 8x68 ?

Probably been asked and answered before, if so please excuse me,but. Im wanting to rebarrel a Lefty Savage to 7X57 Mauser. Would I be better served with a long action, or will I be able to seat bullets out long enough in a short Savage? I haven't bought a donor gun yet.

Bob

i've been using a Winchester 70 chambered for 270 Wby Mag for years with fabulous results. 130 grain A-max pushing around 3200 fps is a great hunting round. Granted, it's not my target rifle... but it's coming up on a re-barrel.
There are plenty of great choices when it comes to reloading the 270, you just have to know what you are looking for. Kicks like a damn mule though & the shape of the Wby shell which is rounded at the neck rather than at a true angle, makes for short brass life & like any belted magnum round, can be a bit tough when resizing. 5 - 6 reloads tops before they start to work harden & crack. The shape of the 270 Winchester is by far a better design but it's a bit slower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So lots of people are writing about the 22-250, 308, 223, 300 win mag, and 338 lapua ...

Any thoughts on the .270 WIN or the .243 WIN?</div></div>

270?

Limited range of bullets, only 1 (?) hpbt bullet. I could never find decent brass so could not get it to load as consistently as 308. With consistent rounds it shot well, ballistically pretty good. Fine for hunting and this is reflected in the rifles that are chambered for it. For anything else I would have needed a custom so not flexible enough and i got rid. Having said that nothing that I shot with it got up and ran away !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the bore size goes up for a given parent case, the general trend is that the benefits in performance for AI's decrease. A 308 AI has a lot smaller benefit than a 243 AI, the 7-08 AI would not exhibit as much increase as the 260AI, but some increase would be noticed for sure.

THe 7-08 is an excellent round to use and it's gaining popularity as the 7mm bullets on the market have become more popular in the past couple of years.

It doesn't quite have the drop numbers that a 260 will at long distance, but it has as good or better wind behavior. Prepare yourself to be reloading if you are going to shoot a 7-08, otherwise, call ChadTRG42 and get a setup from him to get homerolled, custom ammo. I think there are some others on here as well that do it, but that's a topic for a different thread.

The round is excellent for hunting and target use. </div></div>I think you have it backwards. Cartridges that are over-bore capacity benefit very little from the slight increase in case capacity that you gain from AI. The .243 is already over-bore while the 7mm bore is not over-bore in the .308 parent case so it would stand to reason that the 7-08 would benefit a bit more from the AI than a .243.

What a great thread! Thanks to all who contributed to it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264HH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the bore size goes up for a given parent case, the general trend is that the benefits in performance for AI's decrease. A 308 AI has a lot smaller benefit than a 243 AI, the 7-08 AI would not exhibit as much increase as the 260AI, but some increase would be noticed for sure.

THe 7-08 is an excellent round to use and it's gaining popularity as the 7mm bullets on the market have become more popular in the past couple of years.

It doesn't quite have the drop numbers that a 260 will at long distance, but it has as good or better wind behavior. Prepare yourself to be reloading if you are going to shoot a 7-08, otherwise, call ChadTRG42 and get a setup from him to get homerolled, custom ammo. I think there are some others on here as well that do it, but that's a topic for a different thread.

The round is excellent for hunting and target use. </div></div>I think you have it backwards. Cartridges that are over-bore capacity benefit very little from the slight increase in case capacity that you gain from AI. The .243 is already over-bore while the 7mm bore is not over-bore in the .308 parent case so it would stand to reason that the 7-08 would benefit a bit more from the AI than a .243. </div></div>

The % change in capacity is larger for a 243 AI vs. a 308 AI or 338-08 AI would see.

The difference comes from body taper change (unchanged variance across the bore sizes) and from shoulder dimension changes. There is more gained volume from a 243 to 243 AI than there is for a 338 Federal to 338 Fed. AI because there is so little shoulder area left on a 338 Fed case or even less impressive: a 358 Win AI.

Your thinking is right if you got the same %change from each one, but it doesn't work that way.

A 6.5-06 AI vs. 6.5-06 is a much bigger performance change than a 30-06 AI vs. 30-06

I've had all of the 4 and compared them carefully, my advice comes from quantifying the theory in person.

After looking through this entire thread and searching the forums I cant seem to find a specific answer to my question. Also I don't want to create another "what caliber?" topic

I have a .30-06 Remington 700 action and I am turning it into a 1000yrd rifle (further if I can)

My dad wants to keep it a .30-06, but I'm inclined to turn it into a 6.5x55 Swede because of their accuracy

Which would be the better caliber at that distance?

and I only hand load...