• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber of Choice

HotRodA10

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2010
Hello everyone, I'm soliciting opinions on choosing an all-around caliber between a .243 and a .270 or 7mm-08. I have a left-hand action with a .473 bolt face (long action) and I'm looking to put a rifle together that would be great for all-around use. I'm not into competitive shooting so the gun would mainly be used for hunting deer/goat/sheep/antelope, and/or varminting, etc. I would like a caliber where factory ammo is fairly easy to find, and would be capable of reaching out to 300 yards +, and still have sufficient knock-down power. Would appreciate any opinions from members as I'm sure most of you have much more experience with putting guns together than I do. Thanks.

Rod

Re: Caliber of Choice

For awesome ammo availability and hunting: 270
For Varminting and decent ammo availability: 243
All around nice cartridge with decent availability: 7-08

My personal choice here is 7-08. With a light palma contour it would be right at home out in the field and at the range. Lots of great 7mm bullets for hunting and targets. Pleasant to shoot, and long lasting. Hits game plenty hard well past 300 yards.

I have both a 270 and 7mm-08 and my favorite of the two is the 7. Its a great shooter and has a wider variety of bullets, only reason to go with the 270 is cheaper factory ammo.

Thanks for your input. I currently have a 22-250, .243, 7mm-08, .270 Weatherby, 7mm Remmy, 30-06, & a 375 H&H. I was thinking about something in between the .243 and the 270/7mm-08. I like the ballistics and knok-down of the .257 Weatherby but the .473 action won't work for that. Other considerations I've thought about is a 25-06 or .260., and I'm looking for opinions on those two and others if possible. I've noticed the .240 Weatherby uses a .473 bolt as well.

Rod

I'm a huge fan of the 25/06. Taken everything from groundhogs to black bear with it and no problems. Lots of good bullets to work with, shoots damn flat with the lighter ones and still damn flat with the heavies. You will not be dissappointed with a 25/06. As a nother plus, H4831sc shoots great in every one I've ever loaded for and there's always brass around. (might say 30/06 on the headstamp but who worries about that?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SOC308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">284? </div></div>

Sweet cartridge.

When I made my initial post, I was under the impression the OP was limiting himself to 243, 7-08, or 270 ONLY.

If thats not the case, the 284 is (IMHO) the premier long action .473" BF cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for 25-06. Cases are relatively cheap and/or can be readily sized down from 30-06 or 270 Win. </div></div>

280 has better bullet options and shares the other benefits.

I'll toss a vote for the 25-06 cartridge, it shoots very well with imr4350 and h4831. It is capable of decent accuracy and has low recoil. I take everything from prairie dogs through deer with one. In my opinion, it's as good as it gets for antelope, goat and deer.
I have a 700 Rem Sendero in 25-06 that is a good shooter and have found that most 25-06s are good shooters.

I have both a .260 and a 25-06. For hunting, the 25-06 gets my vote. I have never had to shoot anything twice with it.

I have a .243 and absolutely love it, but if i was limited to factory ammo and could legally hunt deer with it in ohio i would've bought a .270 or 7mm. trust me, it kills me so much to argue against the .243, but factory ammo selection just isn't there for deer sized game, the heaviest bullets (105's and 115's) are match bullets. with them you would be limited to fast twist barrels that won't work well with lighter bullets and the bullets don't have the expansion quality of lighter hunting bullets. that would leave you with 1 ligitimate choice for deer sized game, 100 grain boattail soft point. for varmits is the place where the .243, imho, blows others out of the water in terms of factory loads. you'll find good factory ammo loaded with 55 grain noslers up to 80 and 85 grain boattail hollowpoints and boattail softpoints.

Is there an animal within the 48 states that a decent 140gr bullet from 260 Rem won't stop & kill?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there an animal within the 48 states that a decent 140gr bullet from 260 Rem won't stop & kill?</div></div>

Doubt it, wouldn't be my first choice for grizzly but I would have no issue using for anything else including elk and mouse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JetJock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello everyone, I'm soliciting opinions on choosing an all-around caliber between a .243 and a .270 or 7mm-08. I have a left-hand action with a .473 bolt face (long action) and I'm looking to put a rifle together that would be great for all-around use. I'm not into competitive shooting so the gun would mainly be used for hunting deer/goat/sheep/antelope, and/or varminting, etc. I would like a caliber where factory ammo is fairly easy to find, and would be capable of reaching out to 300 yards +, and still have sufficient knock-down power. Would appreciate any opinions from members as I'm sure most of you have much more experience with putting guns together than I do. Thanks.

Rod </div></div>

Based on this the choice is an easy one, 270 Winchester.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there an animal within the 48 states that a decent 140gr bullet from 260 Rem won't stop & kill?</div></div>

Doubt it, wouldn't be my first choice for grizzly but I would have no issue using for anything else including elk and mouse. </div></div>

Mouse hunter are you?
grin.gif

For best all around my choice would be something 6.5 which = great accuracy, low recoil and as mouse hunter says it'll work well on just about anything besides big bears (even mice!!
grin.gif
)...for a heavier bullet then I'd go .280AI which = very good accuracy and comes close to the 7mm Rem. Mag. without quite as much recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have a 22-250, .243, 7mm-08, .270 Weatherby, 7mm Remmy, 30-06, & a 375 H&H.</div></div>

Holy cow! Just shoot what you have. There's nothing you've mentioned that can't be done with one of the calibers you already own. having said that, the calibers you seem to be missing are .25, .264 & .338. If you can't live with that void in your line up, I'd go with a .264 cartridge. Since it's a long action and it doesn't appear you'll shoot it a ton, I'd recommend the 6.5x284. Tough to beat those ballistics.