• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber question not tryin to start an argument

mese341

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2013
Duluth,Mn
Okay so I have a 223ai and 6 creed I am looking for something that's flatter shooting out to 600 and 1000 than a 6 creed and still have good barrel life but still not a magnum or have a ton of recoil because I only have 1/8th of a shoulder socket so I am recoil sensitive

You want FLATTER than 6 creed? ...AND you want "good" barrel life?

lol. This a troll post?

What do you consider "good" barrel life? Do you consider a 6.5 PRC a magnum?

Neither are flatter than the creed he already has.
The 6.5 PRC recoil could be a problem for him considering his physical limitations.

Reactions: Rick7353
You want FLATTER than 6 creed? ...AND you want "good" barrel life?

lol. This a troll post?

What do you consider "good" barrel life? Do you consider a 6.5 PRC a magnum?

Neither are flatter than the creed he already has.
No its not a troll post and the reason I don't want a magnum is because of some of the homegrown matches I shoot won't allow magnum

Reactions: 338dude
Look at 6 XC, Dasher, etc.
Also not trying to start an argument, but those are not flatter shooting than a 6 Creedmoor. Flatter shooting, all else being equal, means faster projectiles or higher BC. These are both things that you get more of in the 6 Creedmoor than in any of the above.

OP, you are going to have to go for speed or BC to get something flatter than the 6 Creed. Maybe a 22 Creedmoor or similar.

Last edited:
Well then your only option is to go smaller and accept whatever barrel life you get. 22 creed.

You don't get flatter than a 6 creed but not want any more recoil without giving up something. If you could figure a way to develop what you asked for in your original post, I'd venture a guess it would be worth about 10 billion dollars the second year.

Also not trying to start an argument, but those are not fatter shooting than a 6 Creedmoor. Flatter shooting, all else being equal, means faster projectiles or higher BC. These are both things that you get more of in the 6 Creedmoor than in any of the above.

OP, you are going to have to go for speed or BC to get something flatter than the 6 Creed. Maybe a 22 Creedmoor or similar.
Yes, I quoted myself, but just to clarify. Even a 22 Creedmoor will give you less barrel life.

You can’t get something for nothing.

Reactions: brianf
Yes, I quoted myself, but just to clarify. Even a 22 Creedmoor will give you less barrel life.

You can’t get something for nothing.
I understand i am going to loose barrel life I would be happy with getting 1500 rounds out of a barrel

I was just saying if I could find anything flatter than the 6 creed I would go with one of thoes others

I just wanted to see if
A 105 @ 3075fps isn't flat enough for ya, eh?
There was something more Flat in the next year months I am going to be on disability because of my rare disorder so I am building 1 more bolt gun and then going to buy a higher end gas gun because I am going to be home more and I am going to be shooting more and hopefully start a league at my house and so if there was something I would like to try it but if not I will most likely build a 6xc with a 24" barrel and a manners stock with a trigger tech special

I just wanted to see if

There was something more Flat in the next year months I am going to be on disability because of my rare disorder so I am building 1 more bolt gun and then going to buy a higher end gas gun because I am going to be home more and I am going to be shooting more and hopefully start a league at my house and so if there was something I would like to try it but if not I will most likely build a 6xc with a 24" barrel and a manners stock with a trigger tech special

Why the 6xc over a 6 Creed?

No, there's nothing that will 1. shoot flatter to 1000yd than a 6 Creed pushing 105s @ 3075fps that 2. has equal or less recoil and 3. at least 1500 rounds of barrel life. I mean, perhaps you could run 110s at 3100fps with a long barrel and slow powder and eek another tenth or two of a mil out of things, but why when its just another click or two on the elevation knob?

Why do you have a burning desire to shoot 'flatter'?

Reactions: lash and RTH1800
Longer barrel will get you more velocity at no cost in recoil. If you get it with a heavy taper you can set it back and gain life as well.

I agree with the other guys: 22 creed is what you seek, but barrel life will be ~1200-1500rds depending on how lucky/unlucky you are, just the way it is.

That said: are you sure "flatter shooting" is even really necessary or are you just looking for less recoil? For 600-1000+ yards you're going to be doing a little bit of dialing no matter what, gravity is gravity, maybe look into a 6BR (that'll be a bit less recoil and a bit more barrel life than 6 creed), or with your shoulder situation 224 Valkyrie might even work out better for you...

Reactions: Rich4 and lash
No, there's nothing that will 1. shoot flatter to 1000yd than a 6 Creed pushing 105s @ 3075fps that 2. has equal or less recoil and 3. at least 1500 rounds of barrel life. I mean, perhaps you could run 110s at 3100fps with a long barrel and slow powder and eek another tenth or two of a mil out of things, but why when its just another click or two on the elevation knob?

Why do you have a burning desire to shoot 'flatter'?
It was just an idea I had if it's not possible its not a big deal that's why I asked the question if something was out there

As others have said, the .243AI is going to have a very short barrel life.

You might just stick with what you have now and on your next barrels get the new BB steel which should give you about 50% more life.

Im curious why OP wants/needs anything flatter than a 6cm?
I was just wondering if there was something out there I just started shooting the 600 yard matches and the guys basically told me what stuff to buy and their gunsmith put it together for me so I have a manners t6a,Curtis vector,krieger in 6 cm and trigger tech special and I like shooting that and at that distance

Reactions: Newbie2020
Get a 22 creed.
Less recoil, its 1.8 mils to 500 for me, 6.1 to 1k.

Yes, itll eat barrels. Buy your bullets in a lot of 1k and toss the barrel when you run out so you dont have to fret over it. Barrels are relatively cheap when you can get them for 450 bucks from some places most days its worth it for the fun.

Is this known? I wasn't aware there were enough of them out there with enough rounds fired to have this kind of conclusion drawn yet.

There was a long thread on them and from what I understand those BB steel barrels had been in use for some time as ammunition test barrels with a couple different companies and that was the general conclusion.

You might want to check with Bartlein directly to get all the details on what the exact numbers were like.

Reactions: phlegethon
You could go with one of the new Bartlien special steel barrels and gain some barrel life back with the .22 Creed. @Frank Green can fill you in.
At this time I don't have any data/feedback on a 22 CM per say in the new material.

In 6CM I have guys that have gotten just a tick over 2k rounds. Also a 6x47 Lapua gas gun that was run hard...and I mean hard on a PRS gun. Talking 105-115gr bullets at 3100fps and then some out of a 24" barrel gas gun. Barrel was pulled at 2,290 rounds. It probably gave up the ghost right around 2100ish rounds. He confirmed the velocity loss and that the accuracy did change and pulled it at 2,290.

Reactions: RTH1800
Whats wrong with a 22-250 AI? 3800+ is pretty damn flat.
This some kind of joke? 22-250AI is smaller capacity than 22 creed... and a 22 creed is not safe AT ALL with an 80gr at 3600, much less 3800+. If you're talking lightweight bullet, then I don't even want to talk about it... because your wind drift will be a bigger number than your elevation at any distance past 300yds. Then there's the fact that a 22 creed will push a 50gr to 4000 with relative ease if that's your thing. A bone stock 22-250 can hit 3800.

Then there's the fact that 22 creedmoor Alpha OCD brass is a thing... and even if it wasn't, the 22 creed has put the 22-250 and its AI version in the dust bin of history nearly a decade ago.

Suffice it to say, I've played with nearly all of the 22cal wildcats at one point or another. The 22 creed is king for a reason.

I have two 6mm Creeds that I shoot 105s at 3040 FPS and have just replaced one barrel at 1570rounds
and the other has 1370 and still hammers.

Eventually people will learn.

Actually, no... come to think of it, they won't. If people don't know that velocity doesn't buy you impacts by now, they will not learn.

This guy needs a 6BR, 6BRA, or 6 Dasher and doesn't even know it.
I have to agree with this.

6BR is the easiest thing to get consistently accurate loads and hits for me. Its like the easy button, will get way more barrel life than any of the speed demons, and hits 1000 like it is honey badger.

1621353358279.png

I was just saying if I could find anything flatter than the 6 creed I would go with one of thoes others
Or you could stop wasting your time looking for an equipment solution to a skill problem.

BTW while you worry about "flatter" trajectory the wind will make you its bitch.

Yeah, likely not what you want to hear but no fucks given.

Or you could stop wasting your time looking for an equipment solution to a skill problem.

Yeah, likely not what you want to hear but no fucks given.
I am going to be shooting more so I am going to get better so my skills will get there but in the mean time I was wondering if there was something better if not I understand and will build another caliber and continue to learn and have fun

I am going to be shooting more so I am going to get better so my skills will get there but in the mean time I was wondering if there was something better if not I understand and will build another caliber and continue to learn and have fun

I'm afraid you still don't understand. Stop worrying about buying/building a rifle in yet another caliber. Use what you have and sink your money into ammunition.

You know what fuck it @orkan is right

I'm curious how it was quantified that you have 1/8th of a "shoulder socket"?

Just curious what that even means.

I'm curious how it was quantified that you have 1/8th of a "shoulder socket"?

Just curious what that even means.
The doctors at the mayo clinic told me that all my major joints are 1/8th developed and they found that out when they did my 3 knee surgeries and shoulder surgery then they did genetic testing and figured out that my chromosomal deletion was rare then they did more research and found out I am 1 of 250 ever recorded and of that I am 1 to 3 percent of thoes cases

Well that definitely is interesting. When pediatric patients with different congenital syndromes still have 50% + development of major joints, it is known right away because they have major issues with physical milestones after birth such as even walking, etc.

Sounds like low recoil is your friend. 👍

Well that definitely is interesting. When pediatric patients with different congenital syndromes still have 50% + development of major joints, it is known right away because they have major issues with physical milestones after birth such as even walking, etc.

Sounds like low recoil is your friend. 👍
When I was born they thought something was up but they just let it be then I started to have some issues with dislocations starting at age 15 then by 18 I already had 2 surgeries and now at age 28 I have had 15 surgeries and I get over 300 injections a year next to my spine so it I have shot very little in the past couple of years and before that I basically only shot handguns except for hunting

When I was born they thought something was up but they just let it be then I started to have some issues with dislocations starting at age 15 then by 18 I already had 2 surgeries and now at age 28 I have had 15 surgeries and I get over 300 injections a year next to my spine so it I have shot very little in the past couple of years and before that I basically only shot handguns except for hunting
Get a 6BRA son. You just don't have a clue what you're missing out on. Call Travis @ TS Customs... and have him build you one on a Lone Peak Fuzion or Impact 737. Forget about the velocity, and enjoy low recoil and groups in the 0's-.2's.

Have him call me when the build is in process and I'll send him two of our 6BR kits for free, for use in your build. If you're having trouble with priming, I'll take $100 off our priming system for you. It's helped a lot of dudes with broken and tortured bodies stay in the game.

The faster/flatter/better BC/less recoil/longer barrel life is the billion dollar question that has yet to be answered. The only answer I can think of is the now retired SR71.

Now for a serious suggestion. I suspect the answer is a better scope with a lessor cartridge. Maybe a rifle shooting a .221 Fireball with a 1-7 twist going with 69 grain SMK. Fast/flat/zero recoil. We have had spectacular luck shooting 80 gr Bergers in our Fireball but the load is so supercritical, I can’t recommend it and won’t publish it. The scope; one that has a reticle that allows easy references to target differences. Pick and choose a reticle that can help you meet your nerds.

The faster/flatter/better BC/less recoil/longer barrel life is the billion dollar question that has yet to be answered. The only answer I can think of is the now retired SR71.

Now for a serious suggestion. I suspect the answer is a better scope with a lessor cartridge. Maybe a rifle shooting a .221 Fireball with a 1-7 twist going with 69 grain SMK. Fast/flat/zero recoil. We have had spectacular luck shooting 80 gr Bergers in our Fireball but the load is so supercritical, I can’t recommend it and won’t publish it. The scope; one that has a reticle that allows easy references to target differences. Pick and choose a reticle that can help you meet your nerds.

Interesting...
I have a CZ-527 in 221 Fireball that needs a new barrel.
Does it fit the Fireball magazine or does it require the 223 mag?
Would you PM me about it please?

Get a 6BRA son. You just don't have a clue what you're missing out on. Call Travis @ TS Customs... and have him build you one on a Lone Peak Fuzion or Impact 737. Forget about the velocity, and enjoy low recoil and groups in the 0's-.2's.

Have him call me when the build is in process and I'll send him two of our 6BR kits for free, for use in your build. If you're having trouble with priming, I'll take $100 off our priming system for you. It's helped a lot of dudes with broken and tortured bodies stay in the game.
Orkan,

That is solid. Strong work man.