• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber suggestions (replace 270 barrel)

fire-4-effect

Sergeant
Banned !
Nov 8, 2011
Frederick Maryland
I am going to replace the barrel on my Winchester model 70 in .270 to a better caliber for a long range hunting rifle. My first impulse was to go to 30-06 but after reading posts on the hide I am starting to think I should get a 6.5 or 7 mm sized caliber. I will be using the rifle as follows:

75% of the time: target shooting between 100-300 yards
25% of the time: hunting nothing larger than deer and maybe elk

Accuracy is very important to me followed then by muzzle energy and BC.

Thoughts?

Phil

Re: Caliber suggestions (replace 270 barrel)

Until I saw you were going to be hunting Elk I was going to suggest a 6.5 Creedmoor. If you are going to be hunting elk I would stay in the .284 range "7mm"
I guess if it were me I would probably still go with a 6.5 Creedmoor for Target and Deer sized game since it appears you will be shooting target and deer most of the time. You will save a lot of extra cash reloading for that cartridge than having to reload for the 7mm. If you decide to go Elk hunting I would probably buy an "elk rifle" just for that purpose. But do I dare say this? With proper round placement the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 is plenty capable of taking elk size game with. I just wouldn't push the limits in fear of an improper placed shot. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a hammer of a round.

6.5x55 should work well in your long action but a 280 would also be worth a hard look. I would say a 284 but I am not sure if you would need additional mods to get it to feed.

And the 270, 30-06 debate continues...

I think you are splitting hairs here.

If you need a long range elk gun, buy a long range magnum and don't try to push a standard cartridge into the job.

A 280AI would be an easy cartridge to switch to.

One thing for sure, nobody gets into long range shooting and is satisfied with 300 yards so forget about that. Get the 7mm in straight 284Win, 280Rem, 7SAUM, 7WSM, or 7RM. You will then be able to get to the ranges you will REALLY want and also be able to hunt whatever North American game you want as well with the heavy bullets. Which of the above flavors you want will depend on whether you reload and what your recoil tolerance is.

I do plan to reload whatever I get. I am a big guy so recoil has never really been an issue. With that said 30-06 would be enough from a recoil perspective for me.

I am really intrigued by 280 AI. I am going to have to give this one a hard look.

Can I safely choose a short action caliber in my long action? If so, if I decide to go DBM can I still use a mag?

Phil

284 is a nice option also....it is a SA chambering but like the 7 suam or 7 wsm they are better in the LA since you can load long and still eject a loaded round.

I chose the 6.5 creedmoor but it will see very little large game hunting if any, just tac competitions and range shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fire-4-effect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can I safely choose a short action caliber in my long action? If so, if I decide to go DBM can I still use a mag?

Phil </div></div>

I was going to buy a used long action savage for my build and asked Jeff at CDI about this. He said he made a DBM for a long action that used the short action mags.

Don't know if he made it for the model 70 or not. But it would be worth a look if you decide to go with a short action cambering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 280AI would be an easy cartridge to switch to. </div></div>

X2, you'll be glad you did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Edds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 280AI would be an easy cartridge to switch to. </div></div>

X2, you'll be glad you did. </div></div>

x3

30-06
280AI

Thats about the best for you............

Not much wrong with the .270. Killed a 600 pound hog with one Nosler 150 Partition in the puny .270. Got a friend who has killed 23 (maybe more now) big Elk with the puny .270. For the ranges you are looking at...the puny .270 will perform fine. JMHO

As far as high BC, it won't matter at less than 300yds. So, if targets are 300yds, let's assume that is as far as you'd shoot at an animal.

If its mostly shots less than 300yds (game/targets) the -06 will be a good option. It should yield a much longer barrel life than the 7mm while still giving more energy than the 6.5 creedmoor for when you do hunt with it. A 7mm inside of 500yds is fun, but it's a waste of powder IMO for targets. It's hell on deer, but if you are planning on considerable target shooting sessions, you'll rebarrel much sooner with the 7mm.

Sounds like the '06 would suit you fine.

Triple D, I tend to agree with everything you said. I keep going back to the 'ole 30-06. Plus, I have always held a special place in my heart for the caliber. Brass is plentiful and I already reload 308 (bullets...).

I doubt I will hunt anything past 300. Probably outside my skill level anyways. 300 would be max.

Decisions, decisions...