• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

California residents, opinions needed

Falar

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Midland, TX
I have a job offer in Bakersfield (new facility opening up in 9-12 months) and have some time to think about it. Hell, with the cost of living difference and my wife having to give up her job I would only go for double my current salary anyway. What exactly is legal/illegal in California? I know my AR 10/15s will not be able to come with me as well as suppressors and my USP/Mark 23s with threaded barrels. However, what other kinds of pistols are banned? Can I take regular USPs but with 10rd magazines? I don't know if HKs or even Desert Eagles are banned by name. I guess at least I wouldn't be unarmed because I know for sure 1911s, revolvers, lever guns, and bolt guns are legal. I'm also assuming defending yourself is frowned upon, any laws against hollowpoints like NJ? How about knife carry laws?

I am kind of tempted to go because I will be about 2 hours from where I grew up and where all of my family is and I love the weather and would be able to spend so much more time outdoors.

Re: California residents, opinions needed

I can't remember what the exact laws are down there but I know they suck hard core. I'm originally from Mexico, I mean California (Palmdale/Lancaster area) and moved to Utah right before I started to get into guns. California is a fun place to visit but I would not want to live there again! If you move there and want to unload all your California illegal toys let me know...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmyers2213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember what the exact laws are down there but I know they suck hard core. I'm originally from Mexico, I mean California (Palmdale/Lancaster area) and moved to Utah right before I started to get into guns. California is a fun place to visit but I would not want to live there again! If you move there and want to unload all your California illegal toys let me know... </div></div>

If I move I won't unload anything. I will leave a safe full of the goodies here at my brother's house.

I'm in the process of leaving...

It's best not to rely on board offered info. Call the ATF and California Dept. Of Justice (I think) and <span style="font-weight: bold">get it in writing</span> what you are and are not allowed.

Good luck.

For information on the legalities go to http://www.calguns.net/
cry.gif

ARE YOU FRICKIN NUTS?! People's Republic of Kalifornia?
crazy.gif

Bakersfield is lower cost than most places. Get ready for some shocks. Times have changed and the golden goose is dead, murdered by the electorate and politicians.

Get the salary and have a plan to beat feet.

Housing has dropped SIGNIFICANTLY if you can buy. Rents have gone up...

If you decide to come out here with the rest of us idiots drop me a note. I am in the AV and know of a couple places to bang steel, poke holes and blow stuff up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fewenuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For information on the legalities go to http://www.calguns.net/
cry.gif

ARE YOU FRICKIN NUTS?! People's Republic of Kalifornia?
crazy.gif

Bakersfield is lower cost than most places. Get ready for some shocks. Times have changed and the golden goose is dead, murdered by the electorate and politicians.

Get the salary and have a plan to beat feet.

Housing has dropped SIGNIFICANTLY if you can buy. Rents have gone up...

If you decide to come out here with the rest of us idiots drop me a note. I am in the AV and know of a couple places to bang steel, poke holes and blow stuff up. </div></div>

I do value my freedoms, and I do understand how I can be viewed as nuts for leaving Texas but it will be the only way to take a big step up in my career. Not only that, I would love to be 2 hours away from my family that lives in the LA area and to be able to go outside for more than 5 months out of the year.

Calguns.net is the place to go. But generally, any pistol is GTG although without threaded barrels. You will have to do a volunteer reg for each one which is 19.00 per. Ar far as AR rifles, some lowers are banned by name. If you have any of the listed models (listed on CG.net) they cannot be brought in. You can however change out the lower, use 10 round mags, and a magazine (bullet button) lock. Any 11+ round mag cannot come in unless disassembled. No suppressors, sadly. No real ammo restrictions except lead ban in certain areas, which Kern is in I believe, for hunting. As far as pistols, some that are unavailable here that you may have can bring a premium once reg'd and resold face to face.

ETA: chances of getting a concealed carry permit are actually pretty good in Kern county.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calguns.net is the place to go. But generally, any pistol is GTG although without threaded barrels. You will have to do a volunteer reg for each one which is 19.00 per. Ar far as AR rifles, some lowers are banned by name. If you have any of the listed models (listed on CG.net) they cannot be brought in. You can however change out the lower, use 10 round mags, and a magazine (bullet button) lock. Any 11+ round mag cannot come in unless disassembled. No suppressors, sadly. No real ammo restrictions except lead ban in certain areas, which Kern is in I believe, for hunting. As far as pistols, some that are unavailable here that you may have can bring a premium once reg'd and resold face to face. </div></div>

Wow, I thought threaded barrels made the pistols "assault weapons" and banned. I had no idea I could bring them in for a mere $19. I was also under the impression that many pistols weren't available in California because of "safety regulations" that require integral locks or some such nonsense. I guess I would only have to leave the ARs and suppressor behind because I am not swapping out lowers or fooling around with a neutered version of a gun.

A threaded barrel alone does not ban a pistol entirely. The barrel is the restricted part. The so called "safe list" only applies to new/used dealer purchases. Private party sales are exempt. You still have to use a dealer, pay 35 dollars, and wait 10 days however.

There is a good reference book called "firearms laws of the 50 states" It provides good condensed information.

Kalifornia has been going after guns lately by infringing on the SALE, not necessarily the POSSESSION of guns and Hi-cap mags.

The only thing not already addressed by others is the knife question. The limit is 3-1/2" of blade. How this is enforced depends a LOT on what you were up to when you called attention to yourself.

For the CCW - You will have to show good cause (Like carrying lots of cash or valuables routinely) Also, you will need to have a squeaky clean record, a couple of years as a local resident and have references of good moral character to fill out a questionnaire. Residency is the big issue the last decade or so. They investigate that pretty thoroughly.

The culture in Bakersfield is a lot like Texas. Country Music, Guns, Big trucks and hot weather. It's Do'able with enough paycheck to crank the A/C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guapomatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a good reference book called "firearms laws of the 50 states" It provides good condensed information.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kalifornia has been going after guns lately by infringing on the SALE</span>, not necessarily the POSSESSION of guns and Hi-cap mags.

The only thing not already addressed by others is the knife question. The limit is 3-1/2" of blade. How this is enforced depends a LOT on what you were up to when you called attention to yourself.

For the CCW - You will have to show good cause (Like carrying lots of cash or valuables routinely) Also, you will need to have a squeaky clean record, a couple of years as a local resident and have references of good moral character to fill out a questionnaire. Residency is the big issue the last decade or so. They investigate that pretty thoroughly.

The culture in Bakersfield is a lot like Texas. Country Music, Guns, Big trucks and hot weather. It's Do'able with enough paycheck to crank the A/C. </div></div>

Care to elaborate on the bolded section? The knife statute/length stated above is for fixed blade knives. Your standard folders are fine. The CCW regs are set by the state and administered by each county. Unfortunately, many counties make up their own shit which is illegal. Many of these counties are currently being sued by several gun rights .orgs. As stated earlier, Kern is one of the more liberal counties to issue. It will take a few more lawsuits and/or the SCOTUS to bring the others into compliant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmyers2213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember what the exact laws are down there but I know they suck hard core. I'm originally from Mexico, I mean California (Palmdale/Lancaster area) and moved to Utah right before I started to get into guns. California is a fun place to visit but I would not want to live there again! If you move there and want to unload all your California illegal toys let me know... </div></div>

If I move I won't unload anything. I will leave a safe full of the goodies here at my brother's house.</div></div>

I'll baby sit
wink.gif

Lucky for you Bakersfield is in Kern county which also has one of the highest issuances of CCW permits.

As I'm sure you read already most AR's are banned by name.. i.e. Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS etc. But it doesn't apply to "off" brands like Stag, Del-Ton basically anything that wasn't around in the 90's... If you own some of the more popular older AR's like Colt or Armalite just sell your lowers and buy "CAL legal" lowers when you get there.

Be careful about the pistol registration.. Don't bring them all in at once. You might get caught in some kind of loophole because there is a 1 gun a month limit. It would suck to have your guns sitting in some guys safe for over a year as he piece meals them out to you... That may or may not be an issue..

Also, look to CAL DOJ Firearms division for answers. They have a FAQ that helps a lot of people moving to the state. I used to live there and I'm getting ready to move back...
frown.gif

DO NOT bring any high capacity magazines. Its simply not worth the risk. Its a felany to import/possess and each magazine is a "count". so, 5 mags = 5 felony counts. NOT WORTH IT.

Edit: also if you have a Taurus Judge.. don't bother trying. I think last I heard CAL DOJ defines them as short barreled shotguns and does not allow them in the state. I could be wrong though.. There's an "approved handgun list" which I think you can obtain from the states DOJ website.

The one handgun every 30 days only applies to new or used handguns purchased from a dealer. A private party sale or reg'd guns for a new resident are exempt. Same for the handgun list, applies to new or used purchased from a dealer. The Judge is considered a short barrel shotgun and is a no go.

Not toward anyone in particular but, please try and state facts, not what you may have heard from someone or somewhere about CA gun ownership. Yes, Kalifornia sucks in many ways in regards to gun laws but, DC, MA, NJ, etc., are actually worse in many ways. So lets not cloud the issue by interjecting disdain for the state while answering the mans questions.

Thanks for all the replies. I really do have a lot of thinking to do on this and not as much time as I thought. Our facility in the area will not be up and running for maybe a year or more, but I need to commit to it sooner than that so I can start building a team and getting myself ready here (selling my house and all).

I really do value my freedoms and never would have imagined giving them up and feeling the repressive hold of a liberal state. However, at this point in my career we are expanding and the guys above me in Houston aren't going anywhere anytime soon and if I ever want to make the big bucks then its now or never.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a job offer in Bakersfield (new facility opening up in 9-12 months) and have some time to think about it. Hell, with the cost of living difference and my wife having to give up her job I would only go for double my current salary anyway. What exactly is legal/illegal in California? I know my AR 10/15s will not be able to come with me as well as suppressors and my USP/Mark 23s with threaded barrels. However, what other kinds of pistols are banned? Can I take regular USPs but with 10rd magazines? I don't know if HKs or even Desert Eagles are banned by name. I guess at least I wouldn't be unarmed because I know for sure 1911s, revolvers, lever guns, and bolt guns are legal. I'm also assuming defending yourself is frowned upon, any laws against hollowpoints like NJ? How about knife carry laws?

I am kind of tempted to go because I will be about 2 hours from where I grew up and where all of my family is and I love the weather and would be able to spend so much more time outdoors. </div></div>
Your AR15's and AR10's can come to the people republic of California as long as the lower reciever isn't on the banned list. Your uppers are just fine. The catch is first you have to install what we all bullet buttons. Leave any magazine feed device larger than 10 rounds behind. Your pistols are fine. just leave any magazine feeding device larger than 10 rounds behind. also remember while you are here you won't be able to purchase any and guns not on the Cal DOJ approved list. Its gay but its the law. Check out Calguns they have all the good info. </div></div>

I have been lurking a bit there already. If I make the move the ARs and suppressors will stay in a safe that I leave at my brother's house. I have no interest in neutered guns.

Taking a job in Kali means you gotta live there (mostly). That sucks, and just exactly why isn't that a no-brainer? Jeez Louise!

...Gun owners need not apply...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taking a job in Kali means you gotta live there (mostly). That sucks, and just exactly why isn't that a no-brainer? Jeez Louise!

...Gun owners need not apply... </div></div>

I lived in NY for a year and it didn't seem any better gunwise.

Looks like I am going ahead with this. Wish me luck and get ready to see me selling all kinds of non-California legal stuff in the coming months. Even my truck isn't legal in California, damn.

do yourself a favor and don't even think about the gun laws at this point. Have you ever been to Bakersfield, CA? My apologies if anyone on here lives there, but the place is a fucking dump (and smells like one too)!

I really don't think it is that bad but the main draw to me is the proximity to all of the really nice parts of California.

Falar, I'm about 2 hours away from bakersfield. The weather is hot as shit, although Bakersfield is developing more it's still under developed, it's pretty bad compare to the beach cities and LA. Not sure what kind of work you will being doing, but i hope you are used to farming because all you are going to see and smell are the sweet aroma of manure. It's called Bakersfield bc you will be baked in the summer times at 115 degrees, i mean it's hot enough to fry a steak on the sidewalk. Did i mention it smells like shit? Well in case i didn't, it smells like shit out there. No offense to the residence, but you guys live too far for me to drive up there for a gun anyways. wahahha